PDA

View Full Version : Eric Chavez

veeter
10-19-2006, 09:14 AM
I know this is a little late, but if Eric Chavez gets the gold glove this year I'm going to be really pissed. First of all, he completely sucked defensively in the Twin's series. The scorekeeper gave hits on at least two balls I thought were errors by him. Second of all, I noticed that he's perfected the, "slide on the ground for no reason" play, on balls hit to his left. This move is in vogue today and I hate it. I'm watching Chavez slide and pirouette, on a play Crede would have simply kept his feet, and threw the runner out on. Unfortunately, voters swoon over that crap. I think the guy is a hot dog and VERY overrated defensively. Joe better win the gold glove!!!!

Oblong
10-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Seems to me like players win the gold glove a year or two after they first deserve it. That theory makes sense since the managers vote. A guy gets a reputation around the league and that takes time to filter out.

I also think managers should be allowed to vote for their own players. If you are trusting them to vote then trust them to not play favorites. Because of that you have Ozzie who said he'd vote for someone very unworthy to increase Crede's spot. How many other managers do that? The whole voting gets screwed up then. If 7 managers decide to do that because they can't vote for their player and they happen to pick the same player, then suddenly that guy moves up the ranks.

Heck, maybe that's how Palmeiro got his gold glove when he was a DH.

champagne030
10-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Seems to me like players win the gold glove a year or two after they first deserve it. That theory makes sense since the managers vote. A guy gets a reputation around the league and that takes time to filter out.

I also think managers should be allowed to vote for their own players. If you are trusting them to vote then trust them to not play favorites. Because of that you have Ozzie who said he'd vote for someone very unworthy to increase Crede's spot. How many other managers do that? The whole voting gets screwed up then. If 7 managers decide to do that because they can't vote for their player and they happen to pick the same player, then suddenly that guy moves up the ranks.

Ozzie did it in response to Macha saying he would leave his ballot blank because nobody deserved his vote over Chavez. :whiner:

oeo
10-19-2006, 10:39 AM

The Gold Glove shouldn't even be considered a serious accolade anymore. The best guy never wins, the guy who is the most popular does, so what's the point?

INSox56
10-19-2006, 10:50 AM
The Gold Glove shouldn't even be considered a serious accolade anymore. The best guy never wins, the guy who is the most popular does, so what's the point?

exactly. Back to Chavez though....he missed a decent part of the season and (even though it shouldn't matter but always does) didn't put up the same offensive, clutch numbers crede did.

FedEx227
10-19-2006, 12:11 PM
"slide on the ground for no reason" play

perfected by another undeserving man who will win a gold glove Derek Jeter.

kittle42
10-19-2006, 12:28 PM
First of all, he completely sucked defensively in the Twin's series.

Which Twin had a series? Torii Hunter? Nick Punto?

Jerome
10-19-2006, 12:40 PM
yea what does the gold glove even mean any more? forget it. If Crede wins, that just means Bora$ will drive his price up some more. We all know that Crede is a solid 3B, there are stats that tell us so and we see the plays the guy can make. Who needs some dumb popularity contest?

veeter
10-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Which Twin had a series? Torii Hunter? Nick Punto?I'm sorry, Twins' series.

Robb
10-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Two more guys that probably deserve GG's that may not get them will be Alex Gonzalex & Mike Lowell. Although, I have a feeling Lowell will get his.

TheOldRoman
10-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Two more guys that probably deserve GG's that may not get them will be Alex Gonzalex & Mike Lowell. Although, I have a feeling Lowell will get his.
:o:
If you think Mike Lowell is a good third basebman, maybe you want to try the Big Hurt there. They would have comprable range. But wait, ESPN said the Red Sox had the best defense ever...

Tiger23
10-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Any respect for Brandon Inge over here? No way he deserves a GG in my opinion because of his penchant for errors. However, he does have some amazing range and makes a lot of plays that shouldnt be possible.

Anyway, I'm in full agreement that Chavez is very overrated defensively right now. I know he was a stud over there in the past, but he seems to have lost a step and stiffened up. If he wins a golden glove this year it will be a complete joke, moreso even than the award already is.

TDog
10-20-2006, 07:48 PM
exactly. Back to Chavez though....he missed a decent part of the season and (even though it shouldn't matter but always does) didn't put up the same offensive, clutch numbers crede did.

If Chavez hit .220 with 41 RBI in 2006, he would still finish the year with a gold glove. How well he actually plays third base would be irrelevant too.

Robb
10-23-2006, 06:37 PM
:o:
If you think Mike Lowell is a good third basebman, maybe you want to try the Big Hurt there. They would have comprable range. But wait, ESPN said the Red Sox had the best defense ever...

How many games did you watch him play this year?

JB98
10-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Any respect for Brandon Inge over here? No way he deserves a GG in my opinion because of his penchant for errors. However, he does have some amazing range and makes a lot of plays that shouldnt be possible.

Anyway, I'm in full agreement that Chavez is very overrated defensively right now. I know he was a stud over there in the past, but he seems to have lost a step and stiffened up. If he wins a golden glove this year it will be a complete joke, moreso even than the award already is.

Inge has the quickest feet of any third baseman in the league. Real good range, but like you said, a penchant for errors. His hands aren't real sure, and his throwing arm is erratic at times.

Lowell is like the antithesis of Inge. He has good hands and an accurate arm, but little range. If anyone on Boston deserves a GG, it's Alex Gonzalez.

I'm a firm believer that Crede is the best defensive 3B in the league. I actually think Hank Blalock is a better third baseman than Chavez too, but reputation goes a long way in these votes.

Big Sandwich
10-24-2006, 05:37 AM
The bigger outrage was rowand not winning the glove in the 05 season, if Crede doesnt win, i shant be surprised

brewcrew/chisox
10-24-2006, 10:42 AM
perfected by another undeserving man who will win a gold glove Derek Jeter.

That and the unecessary fall-away jump throw. IF he wins another gold glove I'll puke.