PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of '06 Tigers and '05 Sox

Soxworldchamps
10-19-2006, 07:48 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061018&content_id=1716641&vkey=ps2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Of course, they have to bring the Yankees into the last paragraph... but I thought it was an ok piece.

Sorry if this has already been posted, I didn't see it anywhere.

cbotnyse
10-19-2006, 08:18 AM
I see alot of similarities. They almost went wire to wire with a nice sized collapse at the end of the season and have pretty much dominated in the playoffs so far. I think they'll win it all, and they should, they are the best team this year.

TDog
10-19-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a World Series where a team was so heavily favored -- to sweep -- even before an opponent emerges. I know I've never seen a wild card team so heavily favored. I honestly don't believe the Tigers will sweep whoever wins tonight, and they may not even win the series. The only game the White Sox lost last October, of course was the game where they were most heavily favored. They were well rested, throwing their hottest pitcher and facing a team that was playing in its third city in three nights

I think you have to go back more than 20 years to find a teams from the same division that won the World Series in consecutive years, and that was when the AL East was strong in the two-division format. Next preseason the Twins will be favored by many (to beat he Cubs) in the World Series, and I'm not sure if three different teams from the same division ever won in three consecutive years. I'm not sure if seven different teams ever won in seven consecutive years.

Enjoy it while it lasts, Tigers fans. I'm guessing that next year, people will be drawing comparisons between the 2007 Tigers and the 2006 White Sox.

SBSoxFan
10-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Similar results maybe, but different approaches. The Sox were on a roll entering the playoffs; the Tigers not so much.

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 09:26 AM
We are very similar teams. Especially how the Tigers woke up once the playoffs started. Couldve been us. One thing to note though, is that the SOX were in 1st Place from Day 1, and WON the division, and entered the playoffs on a 5 game winning streak. They played slightly better than .500 ball the 2nd half.

The Tigers? They shouldve been one of the most historic COLLAPSES in MLB HISTORY, were it not for Mark Buehrle, Javier Vazquez, Ozzie Guillen and the Chicago White Sox.

All the SOX had to do was play .500 ball and they were in the playoffs. The SOX couldnt be bothered and let the Tigers in, despite Detroits insistence they didnt want to go to the playoffs. The More I see the Tigers win, I look at the SOX and know they played a Major Hand.

AuroraSoxFan
10-19-2006, 09:26 AM
I think their roster is quite a bit better than either NL team they may face. Especially in the area of pitching (starters and pen). Which as we all know is far more important than anything else. Sad to say but as Sox fans all we can do is look to the future. And the immediate future is next season. So I kinda want DET to take it. Let them have all that pressure, hype, and all eyes on them next year the way we had it this season. I wouldn't want that kind of pressure on anyone else but a division rival.

batmanZoSo
10-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Similar results maybe, but different approaches. The Sox were on a roll entering the playoffs; the Tigers not so much.

The only difference is they lost their final five games and the division lead, while we won our final five games and clinched the division in that span. You could see it come together earlier with the '05 Sox, while for them it happened a game into the playoffs. Even in that first loss for them, to me they looked poised and came back, but just didn't have the pitching that day.

I don't see any scenario that doesn't have the Tigers hoisting the trophy at the end. But we'll see. Either way, Tiger fans have paid their dues and the team itself is pretty humble. I don't hate that team like I do Minnesota. With Dmitri "us and Cleveland" Young out of the picture, there's not been much yapping with that team. They've just gone out and beaten everybody ('cept us head to head, which probably makes it easier not to hate them).

batmanZoSo
10-19-2006, 09:33 AM
We are very similar teams. Especially how the Tigers woke up once the playoffs started. Couldve been us. One thing to note though, is that the SOX were in 1st Place from Day 1, and WON the division, and entered the playoffs on a 5 game winning streak. They played slightly better than .500 ball the 2nd half. The Tigers? They shouldve been one of the most historic COLLAPSES in MLB HISTORY, were it not for the Chicago White Sox. All the SOX had to do was play .500 ball and they were in the playoffs. The SOX couldnt be bothered and let the Tigers in, despite Detroits insistence they didnt want to go to the playoffs. The More I see the Tigers win, I look at the SOX and know they played a Major Hand.

It hurts because this was such a winnable playoff bracket. It would've probably come down to us and Detroit in the ALCS and based on recent history I'd have really liked our chances. And of course no NL team scares anyone. I mean just look at this Game 7 pitching matchup--Jeff Suppan vs. Oliver Perez? Pathetic.

ondafarm
10-19-2006, 09:51 AM
. . . Next preseason the Twins will be favored by many (to beat he Cubs) in the World Series, and I'm not sure if three different teams from the same division ever won in three consecutive years. . .

You are predicting the Twins to win the WS next year? Dream on. I've had the chance over the last few days to talk to several baseball men from Japan over the last few days and they have all been prodding me about are my siblings going to retain their season tickets and how many can my Japanese friends get their hands on, because they all predict the White Sox in 2007.

INSox56
10-19-2006, 11:44 AM
I see a glaring difference being that we had to play a tougher team in the ALCS, and we actually had to do well to beat our NL opponent. Half a Mets team and a Cards rotation that's been crap and their offense which can't hit anything...NL is a joke this year, even more than most.

esbrechtel
10-19-2006, 12:07 PM
I see a glaring difference being that we had to play a tougher team in the ALCS, and we actually had to do well to beat our NL opponent. Half a Mets team and a Cards rotation that's been crap and their offense which can't hit anything...NL is a joke this year, even more than most.

agreed

chisoxmike
10-19-2006, 12:14 PM
I just hope they lose one game, if not four, but at least one in the World Series. :D:

PKalltheway
10-19-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure if seven different teams ever won in seven consecutive years.
1982-1990, nine different teams in nine years.

I don't think Detroit will sweep, especially if the Mets make it. I think they'll win in five or six.

I don't think I've ever seen a World Series where a team was so heavily favored -- to sweep -- even before an opponent emerges.
1990? It ended up happening the other way around though.

TDog
10-19-2006, 02:48 PM
You are predicting the Twins to win the WS next year? Dream on. I've had the chance over the last few days to talk to several baseball men from Japan over the last few days and they have all been prodding me about are my siblings going to retain their season tickets and how many can my Japanese friends get their hands on, because they all predict the White Sox in 2007.

I am not predicting the Twins will win. I am saying the Twins will be a popular preseason pick, just as the Indians were so fashionable a preseason pick seven months ago. People will be picking the Cubs too. They always do.

thomas35forever
10-19-2006, 05:58 PM
I saw that article and I can't disagree with it. The only differences are they got stuck with the Wild Card after almost choking and they haven't lost a playoff game yet.

Jerko
10-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Could there really be THREE sweeps in a row in the WS????? I wouldn't be surprised. I know things go in cycles but the NL is abysmal.

soxinem1
10-19-2006, 06:31 PM
There are similarities, especially with the team performance, but that's were it ends. Good SP and BP work pretty much consistently throughout the year.

Our starters were dealing throughout the playoffs, except Garcia in Game 3 of the ALDS. While DET has a good bunch, ours were better.

2005 Sox had way more team speed and few S2S baserunners.

2005 team was also much better defensively.

But I believe the Sox 2005 playoff opponents (and esp. World Series) were more worthy than DET were this year, esp. World Series, as either STL or NYM pitching staffs will be limping into this Saturday. I never recall seeing this many mediocre pitchers in the playoffs as I have this year.

Soxworldchamps
10-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Could there really be THREE sweeps in a row in the WS????? I wouldn't be surprised. I know things go in cycles but the NL is abysmal.

I don't think that the Tigers will sweep whoever struggles into the Series this year, but I do think that they'll win. The Mets- and the Cardinals, despite our drubbings of them- aren't terrible. Didn't the Mets finish 97-65? They're not just a team to be laughed at. No, I seriously doubt that they'll win the Series, but I do think that the Tigers need to be on their guard.

Tiger23
10-20-2006, 08:28 PM

This sucks doesn't it? Well for me anyway. If the Tigers win people will claim its not legit. If they lose it will be one of the bigger upsets in history as people fondly remember that a team with only 83 regular season wins actually won the Word Series.

Tiger23
10-20-2006, 08:33 PM
There are similarities, especially with the team performance, but that's were it ends. Good SP and BP work pretty much consistently throughout the year.

Our starters were dealing throughout the playoffs, except Garcia in Game 3 of the ALDS. While DET has a good bunch, ours were better.

2005 Sox had way more team speed and few S2S baserunners.

2005 team was also much better defensively.

But I believe the Sox 2005 playoff opponents (and esp. World Series) were more worthy than DET were this year, esp. World Series, as either STL or NYM pitching staffs will be limping into this Saturday. I never recall seeing this many mediocre pitchers in the playoffs as I have this year.

So the Sox played better across the board last year in the playoffs than the Tigers have played thus far this year?

Its only my opinion, but I would have to disagree.

oeo
10-20-2006, 08:38 PM
This sucks doesn't it? Well for me anyway. If the Tigers win people will claim its not legit. If they lose it will be one of the bigger upsets in history as people fondly remember that a team with only 83 regular season wins actually won the Word Series.

It's still legit...I, for one, am just pissed off that the Sox could have rolled to another championship if they would have pulled their heads out of their asses and just played at least .500 ball to beat your Tigers out.

batmanZoSo
10-20-2006, 08:43 PM

I'd hate to be in that position!

MiamiSpartan
10-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Looks like the tiggers are in that position now. One of the all time choke jobs.

jenn2080
10-31-2006, 11:03 AM
Looks like the tiggers are in that position now. One of the all time choke jobs.

I am not sure they choked really. They made it all the way to the World Series. I don't really think that counts as a choke job. A choke job would have been them rockin out first the whole time and then ending in third.

SoxSpeed22
10-31-2006, 12:51 PM
I am not sure they choked really. They made it all the way to the World Series. I don't really think that counts as a choke job. A choke job would have been them rockin out first the whole time and then ending in third.Considering all the defensive gaffs that led to those Cardinal wins, the word 'choke' has to be in there to a degree.

jenn2080
10-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Considering all the defensive gaffs that led to those Cardinal wins, the word 'choke' has to be in there to a degree.

Maybe a cough! :D:

palehozenychicty
10-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Maybe a cough! :D:

Along with some expectoration of brown tar. :D:

jenn2080
10-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Along with some expectoration of brown tar. :D:

Damn smokers!:D:

Realist
10-31-2006, 01:58 PM
It's eerie, I tell ya. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1090595&postcount=46) :smile:

chisox77
10-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Just days ago, this was a valid topic.

Not any more!

Honestly, the Detroit Tigers handed in one of the worst World Series performances I have ever seen, FROM A LOSING TEAM.

Pathetic, ugly, bad, shameful, terrible, and a bit maddening to me, because while the comparison between the 05 Sox (99 wins, plus 11-1 post season) and the 06 Tigers (95 wins, plus 8-5 post season) seemed like a reasonable one, the most important part of that argument blew up.

Our White Sox were magnificent in last year's World Series, against a much tougher Houston team that matched our pitching staff pretty well. And the errors the Tiger pitchers made were horrendous. They also forgot to hit, and overall, seemed unprepared to play the most important series of all.

Therefore, there is no comparison!
:cool:

shoelessshaun27!
10-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Just one tiny difference....WE WON.

davenicholson
11-01-2006, 08:27 AM
So where *are* the Detriot trolls these days? I thought for sure that they'd stick around for some "unbiased analysis from fans of a team in their division". My guess is that most of them are gone for good, unless they get on a hot streak and challenge the Sox for the AL Central crown next year.

So who's next? All aboard the Troll Line, with stops in Cleveland, Detriot and Minneapolis...choo freaking choo.

jenn2080
11-01-2006, 08:46 AM
So where *are* the Detriot trolls these days? I thought for sure that they'd stick around for some "unbiased analysis from fans of a team in their division". My guess is that most of them are gone for good, unless they get on a hot streak and challenge the Sox for the AL Central crown next year.

So who's next? All aboard the Troll Line, with stops in Cleveland, Detriot and Minneapolis...choo freaking choo.

Oblong is still on the board. I would not consider him a troll though.

Britt Burns
11-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Besides the small point of us actually winning, the '05 Sox had much better D (as made very obvious by this year's World Series).

SBSoxFan
11-01-2006, 11:14 AM
I think Leyland blew it by NOT starting the series with Rogers (of course, I thought the same thing about the A's series). How could you not start your hottest pitcher and a veteran in a game you must win on the road is lost on me. Especially with the extra day off due to the rainout, Rogers could have started 3 games of a 7 game WS.