PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else want to trade Dye?

nodiggity59
10-18-2006, 11:32 PM
I think he's a great guy to deal right now b/c of his recent season, low salary, and the fact that his age means that I wouldn't want to extend him further. I think dealing Dye could really help our BP and perhaps even our SP situation.

I mean, if a certain 3B/SS is acquired for say Garcia + Crede, then Dye and Vazquez could be dealt for all the young arms we'd need. I'd also like the idea of throwing Anderson, Sweeney, and Fields onto the field next year (with Cintron and Mack as capable RF and 3B backups) and see if any of them stick. I mean, with an improved FA leadoff hitter and Iguchi-ARod-Thome-PK-AJ we'd still have a formidable enough top 6 batters.

ondafarm
10-18-2006, 11:34 PM
NO. I think he has full trade veto powers anyway.

LuvSox
10-18-2006, 11:36 PM
I'll take Dye over A-Rod any god damn day of the week. :angry:

NoShoesJoe
10-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Under no circumstances.

:nuts:

JB98
10-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Absolutely not. The guy has had two of his best seasons the last two years. He's obviously comfortable with the Sox. He's only 32. He's proven he can stay healthy for a full season. He has a lot of baseball left in him.

This thread sucks.

Myrtle72
10-18-2006, 11:49 PM
No way. Dye is going to be a White Sox legend (I hope).

MUsoxfan
10-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Trading Dye should be KW's 9,998th thought on his mind

CLR01
10-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Trading Dye should be KW's 9.998th thought on his mind

So that would make it pretty important right? :?:

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 12:12 AM
No way dude!

MUsoxfan
10-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Fixed it...stupid buttons being next together and all

FedEx227
10-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Um...no.

Sweeney is in no way ready to be an everyday RF. Having that type of outfield would be doom. There is a such thing as having TOO much youth. Why trade Dye now? He doesn't cost all that much, he's proved to be a great commodity, a great team player... just don't see the logic here.

FielderJones
10-19-2006, 12:17 AM
:threadsucks

thomas35forever
10-19-2006, 12:36 AM
:threadsucks
And let me add:
:threadblows:

Mohoney
10-19-2006, 05:34 AM
I have officially lost all faith in mankind.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-19-2006, 05:34 AM
Dye's trade value is high, but I don't believe the Sox have anyone to pick up the slack, which is one of the first considerations in a trade. As another poster indicated, too much youth can be a real problem.

TDog
10-19-2006, 08:41 AM
I am so happy that the trades and trade bait discussed at WSI are irrelevant to Kenny Williams management of White Sox players.

White Sox Randy
10-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Yes. As soon as Seattle offers up Ichiro and Felix Hernandez.

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Dye's trade value is high, but I don't believe the Sox have anyone to pick up the slack, which is one of the first considerations in a trade. As another poster indicated, too much youth can be a real problem.

Yep. Dye had a renaissance year last season. Will he repeat it? Hard to say. At a minimum, the Sox will pick up his option so they can use him for trade if need be. Unless they were getting Ichiro or something like that, I see no need to trade him right now.

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 09:00 AM
If any of the younger guys were major league ready, might be something to think about. Jermaine Dye is one of the better veterans on the team, and even though he has his defensive lapses, hes still worth his contract. I can see the SOX signing him for 2 more years actually

Myrtle72
10-19-2006, 09:03 AM
I am so happy that the trades and trade bait discussed at WSI are irrelevant to Kenny Williams management of White Sox players.

We would have quite an interesting team if our opinions did matter.

See this thread: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80016&highlight=play+Trade

cbotnyse
10-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Trade our best player? no.

AuroraSoxFan
10-19-2006, 09:53 AM
I'd say if the Twins want to give us Johan, Liriano and Joe Nathan for him and maybe Freddy or something with little cash considerations, fine. Not that he's more valuable than those 3. And it would never happen anyway. We all have better odds of winning the lotto. We haven't made a deal with them in what 20 years? But to answer the thread question, that is about the only trade involving him I'd support.

veeter
10-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Yea, let's trade him, then spend the 2007 season bitching about how Sweeney can't hit. Then Ozzie can throw Sweeney under the bus, like he did Anderson.

Ol' No. 2
10-19-2006, 10:35 AM
The Sox should definately trade Jermaine Dye. Remember, buy low and sell high. Anyone who is in high demand should be traded, leaving them with...umm...never mind.

spiffie
10-19-2006, 10:40 AM
If someone wants to give up a LOT of young pitching for him, and I mean major league caliber, step in and pitch at a high level right now pitching, then I would listen. But I think the amount of talent I would want to see come back to the Sox would make the deal pretty much untenable for any team.

BanditJimmy
10-19-2006, 10:44 AM
His Contract is a bargain for us (the only bargain on the team), no way you trade him.

skottyj242
10-19-2006, 10:46 AM
If any of the younger guys were major league ready, might be something to think about. Jermaine Dye is one of the better veterans on the team, and even though he has his defensive lapses, hes still worth his contract. I can see the SOX signing him for 2 more years actually

Did you just say a positive thing about Jermaine Dye? Mark this day down kids, it's a first.

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Did you just say a positive thing about Jermaine Dye? Mark this day down kids, it's a first.

My did the wind shift.

ajismyhero
10-19-2006, 11:07 AM
No way. There's already too much flux with our outfield. Dye is the only solid guy out there right now.

FielderJones
10-19-2006, 11:13 AM
My did the wind shift.

Hangar might be mad and bad, but he's not craaaazy. :tongue:

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 11:17 AM
We haven't made a deal with them in what 20 years?

Thats because were in the Same Division. The Twins are much SMARTER than to trade within the division (Glares at Pittsburgh Pirates)

batmanZoSo
10-19-2006, 11:20 AM

Worth his contract is a bit of an understatement. Comparable players make between 12 and 20 million.

If he were making the kind of money indicative of the numbers he put up, then now might be an opportune time to move that, but in reality he's one of the best players in the game who's signed for relatively dirt cheap. And don't forget how clutch he is, making his importance to this team that much greater. He's probably got three more years of averaging 05-06 quality.

whitesoxwilkes
10-19-2006, 11:37 AM

Defensive lapses? What the **** are you talking about?

Dye made some grabs this summer (I sit 5 rows from him) that were nothing short of spectacular. Your ****ing hero Maggs would have dogged it, tried to make one of his web-gem sliding catches and botched it completely.

Citations, please.

tony1972
10-19-2006, 11:50 AM
When I saw this thread I thought it would be in teal..:o:

I would not trade Dye not because of what he's done for the Sox..but just his team attitude and he seems like a decent guy. Sometimes the intangibles of a player are more important than the numbers....

To me an all around player is one who not only produces on the field (defense, hitting, etc.) but the things off the field (personality, good with the kids on kids day, not having problems with the media, etc.)......Dye has both of these..

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Defensive lapses? What the **** are you talking about?

Dye made some grabs this summer (I sit 5 rows from him) that were nothing short of spectacular. Your ****ing hero Maggs would have dogged it, tried to make one of his web-gem sliding catches and botched it completely.

Citations, please.

Dye had 6 errors this season. Pretty much middle of the road for AL outfielders. And it isn't like he didn't have more because he let a ball drop rather than tack a chance on a tough play. The guy is a gamer.

I do remember one error in particular that was a lazy fly ball right too him. He just totally spaced-out and dropped it. That was a definite groaner.

skottyj242
10-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Dye had 6 errors this season. Pretty much middle of the road for AL outfielders. And it isn't like he didn't have more because he let a ball drop rather than tack a chance on a tough play. The guy is a gamer.

I do remember one error in particular that was a lazy fly ball right too him. He just totally spaced-out and dropped it. That was a definite groaner.

Was that the Sunday game against Houston?

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Was that the Sunday game against Houston?

No, it was later in the season. I believe it was a Sunday game though.

skottyj242
10-19-2006, 12:14 PM
No, it was later in the season. I believe it was a Sunday game though.

It was probably that one game that you went to.

infohawk
10-19-2006, 12:34 PM
The return would have to be extraordinary before I would even consider trading Dye. He's arguably the best all-around player on this team.

Milw
10-19-2006, 12:38 PM
No.

That's all I have to say about that.

Lip Man 1
10-19-2006, 01:26 PM
In that game the first week at K.C. where the Sox blew a 6-0 lead and lost he booted a few balls in RF but overall he's pretty good out there.

Lip

MadetoOrta
10-19-2006, 01:32 PM
No way. Dye is going to be a White Sox legend (I hope).

He already is. He was the MVP of the World Series. That makes him a White Sox legend in my book.

I do subscribe to the buy-low and sell-high mentality and would consider trading ANYONE on the Sox for the rightr price. That said, I wouldn't shop him. JD's had injuries in the past that we must be cognizant of.

KMKsuburbannoise
10-19-2006, 02:28 PM
i'm not even gonna read this, i'm just gonna say NO. he is our best player.

Beautox
10-19-2006, 02:43 PM

Yeah, just ask those talented Florida Marlins :wink:

spiffie
10-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Sadly none of our young players is even close to being Dontrelle Willis, Miguel Cabrera, Dan Uggla, Anibal Sanchez, or some of the other prospects they have. We have McCarthy and a nearly endless supply of flawed outfielders.

Ol' No. 2
10-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Yeah, just ask those talented Florida Marlins :wink:You mean the ones that are all playing golf right now?

If your goal is to be a lot better than everyone expected, lots of young players is the way to go. If you want to win in the post-season, that's not going to work.

Beautox
10-19-2006, 06:18 PM
You mean the ones that are all playing golf right now?

If your goal is to be a lot better than everyone expected, lots of young players is the way to go. If you want to win in the post-season, that's not going to work.

Yup, those same marlins, that if their over hyped manager that is aparently the begining and end to all that is baseball, wouldn't have let Josh Johnson come back after and hour and a half rain delay to hurt his pitching arm would've been in contention to the last day of the season instead of having Brian Moheller in his spot in the rotation. Yes those same marlins.

What i'm saying as far as the sox go, is there is nothing wrong with adding young talent, a Josh Fields @ 3B or a Ryan Sweeney in LF next year is good for the sox. There is no way to sustain competiveness for extended periods of time with out constantly breaking in players from your own farm. Same goes for a Boone Logan, Charlie Haeger, and Oneli Perez.

Sadly none of our young players is even close to being Dontrelle Willis, Miguel Cabrera, Dan Uggla, Anibal Sanchez, or some of the other prospects they have. We have McCarthy and a nearly endless supply of flawed outfielders.

Our system may appear thin, but there is talent there, maybe not HOF talent, but there are pieces that should be able to step up in the near future and help the big club.

Also Uggla was a rule V pick up.

Getz, Broadway, Phillips, Perez, Logan, Sweeney, Fields, Stewart, Aaron Cunningham

And what do you mean by flawed outfielders? Sweeney has alot of poise and a great swing and approach at the plate, and hes got a very strong arm and should be a fixture with Anderson in our OF for a while.

RadioheadRocks
10-19-2006, 08:02 PM
http://picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/1-14-05/disappointing-thread.jpg

... and that's all I have to say about that!

batmanZoSo
10-19-2006, 08:44 PM

He did that on May 24th against Oakland I believe. I was at that game. But, yes, the allegations are ridiculous.

Grzegorz
10-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Trade Dye???

Only if the deals is lopsided in the Chicago White Sox favor...

Dye might be suited for left field this year but Sweeney is probably a year away at least and the 2007 left fielder will be prototypical leadoff guy.

Dye stays for 2007...

Frater Perdurabo
10-19-2006, 09:05 PM
If KW acquires A-Rod and then decides to trade one of the middle-of-the-order hitters for pitching and/or prospects, the "logical" one to trade would be Konerko (if he would agree to it), not Dye.

Why?

Dye was #2 in homers and #3 in SLG in 2006, while also batting .315. Apart from taking fewer walks, Dye put up numbers that rival Frank Thomas in his prime (with better speed, too). (Look it up; Frank only had three seasons with superior SLG.)

Dye's only problem in the past has been freak injuries; he's never suffered a repeat injury and to our knowledge he doesn't have any chronic issues.

If necessary, Dye has the athletic ability (and height) to learn to play first base well, if given an off-season and spring training to learn to do so. Konerko cannot play right field.

If Gload had to be a temporary or platoon replacement, it's better for him to play first than right field.

First base is the easiest defensive position to play and therefore easiest to fill.

Finally, PK has the largest contract and that money could be used elsewhere.

I want Mags back
10-19-2006, 09:17 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... **** no

JD-MVP

Gregory Pratt
10-19-2006, 11:50 PM
Dye is damn good, but I think he was playing a little over his head.
I'd be willing to trade anyone on our team for the right price, and I know Kenny feels the same way 'cause he says so and has always dealt that way.

However, I doubt that happens as I can't see anyone giving us something reaaaaaaaal good for what would be a one-year rental, and "something reaaaaaaaaaaaal" is what Dye will cost, so he'll be back.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-20-2006, 05:30 AM

Exactly. The Sox best prospects, outside of McCarthy, all have question marks, or could really benefit from more time in the minors. The last " can't miss " guy the Sox drafted was Alex Fernandez.