PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans, we have it wrong. winning isn't everything

irish rover
03-03-2002, 10:49 AM
MLB boards

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-mlb&msg=8694.1&ctx=0

"The opinions expressed on this page are mine and mine alone.* I do not claim to speak for all Cubs Fans; however I expect many will agree with my statements.

Drop in on Wrigley field anytime during the season and you will find a stadium filled to the brim with cheering adoring fans.* Is this because the Chicago Cubs has won the most World Series?* Been to the most play offs?* OK ... maybe this year Farnsworth's legs could be a possible draw.... or that kissy cute face of Alex Gonzalez, but only if your a female.* (Because we know there are no gay Cub fans ......* Try the Cardinals & Braves message board for that) Why then does a team who has a history of never making it to the "Big Game" consistently draw a SRO crowd???** Why would we hang in there when fans from all other ballclubs repeatedly point out to us we didn't make it again this year?

Several words come to mind - loyalty, respect, integrity these are traits found in every Chicago Cub fan.* This is what sets us aside from other fans and in my opinion makes our team the best there is.* When Cub players walk out on that field they know beyond a shadow of a doubt their fans are behind them 100%.* We are not packing the stadium because a player suddenly does well with homers, or because a veteran is calling it quits and we want to see that one last game, or even because one of players has diarrhea of the mouth and has pissed off all of NY.* We are there for the same reason we have been there year after year - we love the game and the team representing it.* I have often been asked "don't you get tired of your team always losing?"* My reply - NO!*

OK so the Cubs win the series, then what?* Does it make us special?* Look at all the other teams that have won.* It merely resigns us to the rank of just another team that did it last year.* If we win, then what do I have to look forward to?* Each season a Cub fan has that added excitement of maybe this is the year and if it doesn't happen we cheer our team anyway and let them know that the following spring we will lining up to buy our tickets and cheer them again.* Don't get me wrong, should we win ... we would rock the city of Chicago with parties for weeks and yes we want to win, but losing doesn't make us feel left out.* It only encourages us try again.* Loyal to a t, we love our Cubbies regardless of our wins and losses.* We stick together through thick and thin.* We are truly a dying breed .......* fans who are here for the love of the game and the team that represents it!!!"

another post by the same person

"Then lets' agree that you will remain tore up each time your team loses and I will walk away with a smile."

NorthSideConvert
03-03-2002, 11:34 AM
What a bizarre load of nonsense. I know. I used to be a Cubs fan. Yes there are loyal Cubs fans who know the game of baseball. But there are fewer and fewer of them in the stands every year. You can find them at Bernies, after weekday games, drowning their misery. The tourists at Hi-Tops, Cubby Bear and Sports Corner could care less about wins and losses, its all just a big party Uggh!! So many wasted years.

NSC

irish rover
03-03-2002, 11:41 AM
this is the part I don't get what a loon

"OK so the Cubs win the series, then what?* Does it make us special?* Look at all the other teams that have won.* It merely resigns us to the rank of just another team that did it last year.* If we win, then what do I have to look forward to?"

GASHWOUND
03-03-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
MLB boards

"The opinions expressed on this page are mine and mine alone.* I do not claim to speak for all Cubs Fans; however I expect many will agree with my statements.

Drop in on Wrigley field anytime during the season and you will find a stadium filled to the brim with cheering adoring fans.* Is this because the Chicago Cubs has won the most World Series?* Been to the most play offs?* OK ... maybe this year Farnsworth's legs could be a possible draw.... or that kissy cute face of Alex Gonzalez, but only if your a female.* (Because we know there are no gay Cub fans ......* Try the Cardinals & Braves message board for that) Why then does a team who has a history of never making it to the "Big Game" consistently draw a SRO crowd???** Why would we hang in there when fans from all other ballclubs repeatedly point out to us we didn't make it again this year?

Several words come to mind - loyalty, respect, integrity these are traits found in every Chicago Cub fan.* This is what sets us aside from other fans and in my opinion makes our team the best there is.* When Cub players walk out on that field they know beyond a shadow of a doubt their fans are behind them 100%.* We are not packing the stadium because a player suddenly does well with homers, or because a veteran is calling it quits and we want to see that one last game, or even because one of players has diarrhea of the mouth and has pissed off all of NY.* We are there for the same reason we have been there year after year - we love the game and the team representing it.* I have often been asked "don't you get tired of your team always losing?"* My reply - NO!*

OK so the Cubs win the series, then what?* Does it make us special?* Look at all the other teams that have won.* It merely resigns us to the rank of just another team that did it last year.* If we win, then what do I have to look forward to?* Each season a Cub fan has that added excitement of maybe this is the year and if it doesn't happen we cheer our team anyway and let them know that the following spring we will lining up to buy our tickets and cheer them again.* Don't get me wrong, should we win ... we would rock the city of Chicago with parties for weeks and yes we want to win, but losing doesn't make us feel left out.* It only encourages us try again.* Loyal to a t, we love our Cubbies regardless of our wins and losses.* We stick together through thick and thin.* We are truly a dying breed .......* fans who are here for the love of the game and the team that represents it!!!"

"Then lets' agree that you will remain tore up each time your team loses and I will walk away with a smile."

I think I might shed a tear.. sniff, sniff.

LongDistanceFan
03-03-2002, 12:40 PM
MLB boards

"Then lets' agree that you will remain tore up each time your team loses and I will walk away with a smile." what a load of crap you are spewing here............. this is a SOX BOARD and i didn't come here to read crap for the sCrubs...........

isn't this what would be considered a troll??????

CubKilla
03-03-2002, 12:49 PM
:bluerock

"That sure is some powerful stuff."

I agree with IRISHROVER on the part we don't get. Is this wad saying that he's happier each and every year that the sCrUBs don't win the WS? That if they do (before the Apocalypse) win the WS, he will be remiss to that fact since the sCrUBS will no longer be referred to as the lovable losers (in some fashion). What does this guys argument have to do with baseball anyway? He sounds like he's "waxing poetic" about his favorite pub or restaurant. (Striking myself on the head) DOH!

baggio202
03-03-2002, 12:53 PM
that is friggen sad.....pitiful...just pitiful

CubKilla
03-03-2002, 12:57 PM
On the contrary LDF. I LOVE reading just how messed up some Cub fan logic is. These are the "fans" that even the diehard Cub fan takes to task. I have a friend who is diehard sCrUB but if he saw this, he'd get pi$$ed. This "fans" argument is rooted with nothing in regard to baseball. Only proves what most baseball fans say about Cub supporters.

LongDistanceFan
03-03-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
On the contrary LDF. I LOVE reading just how messed up some Cub fan logic is. These are the "fans" that even the diehard Cub fan takes to task. I have a friend who is diehard sCrUB but if he saw this, he'd get pi$$ed. This "fans" argument is rooted with nothing in regard to baseball. Only proves what most baseball fans say about Cub supporters. that is your take on it

voodoochile
03-03-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
what a load of crap you are spewing here............. this is a SOX BOARD and i didn't come here to read crap for the sCrubs...........

isn't this what would be considered a troll??????

LDF - he didn't write it, merely re-posted it from another site because it shows just how messed up flubbie fans are.

LongDistanceFan
03-03-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

LDF - he didn't write it, merely re-posted it from another site because it shows just how messed up flubbie fans are. if everybody is saying its something else and i am not....... then there is a possiblity that i took it wrong......... but i still don't care to read anything about the freaking sCrubs....... about loyality and all........... i may be wrong on this......ok

voodoochile
03-03-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
if everybody is saying its something else and i am not....... then there is a possiblity that i took it wrong......... but i still don't care to read anything about the freaking sCrubs....... about loyality and all........... i may be wrong on this......ok

Read it again. This guy is justifying loyalty as the ability to smile when his team loses. He also basically says that he doesn't want to win the World Series because it would spoil the "This is the year" feeling he gets every year. Typical flubbie fan - embracing the lovable loser mentality...

I thought it was hilarious. I read it to my roommate - a good flubbie fan who knows baseball and wants to win. He just shook his head and said, "I hope that was someone masquerading as a flubbie fan."

Spiff
03-03-2002, 02:22 PM
Actually it was a woman who wrote it.

Notice the mention of Farnsworth's legs, A. Gonzalez's face etc. And also how they said there were no gay Cub fans.

doublem23
03-03-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
And also how they said there were no gay Cub fans.

Obviously this woman has no concept of geography either... Since we all know what neighborhood Wrigley Field is in...

Are you in or out?

PaleHoseGeorge
03-03-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Read it again. This guy is justifying loyalty as the ability to smile when his team loses. He also basically says that he doesn't want to win the World Series because it would spoil the "This is the year" feeling he gets every year. Typical flubbie fan - embracing the lovable loser mentality...

I thought it was hilarious. I read it to my roommate - a good flubbie fan who knows baseball and wants to win. He just shook his head and said, "I hope that was someone masquerading as a flubbie fan."

It truly is an embarrassment to Flubs fandom if this moron is truly what he claims to be.

As a Sox Fan, I could just barf reading what this guy is saying. I don't mind anyone reposting it here, though. It reaffirms what we've been saying about Flubs fans at WSI for over three years now.

Lisa
03-03-2002, 02:52 PM
I don't know guys - I was all upset and frustrated about the Sox blowing it last year and the year before, but now I have a whole different take on it! Thank GOD they didn't win! What if they had? What if they had gone all the way? The next season would be just a bust! Watching them win all those games - how BORING! I mean, once you've been there, there's no reason to go again. Just another "been there done that" experience. In fact, someone get on the phone to Steinbrenner! My God, he clearly doesn't understand this at ALL! And all this time I thought JR was just a cheap idiot, when he was just saving us all from the inevitable heartache that comes from winning a WS. I have seen the light!!!!!!!!!

Is it too late to trade away Thomas, Maggs, Foulke, and Buehrle?

doublem23
03-03-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Lisa

:KW
I can arrange that.

czalgosz
03-03-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

It truly is an embarrassment to Flubs fandom if this moron is truly what he claims to be.

As a Sox Fan, I could just barf reading what this guy is saying. I don't mind anyone reposting it here, though. It reaffirms what we've been saying about Flubs fans at WSI for over three years now.

There's a big difference between loyalty and stupidity. I'm a loyal Sox fan - I have supported them during some pretty rough times. But there are things that the Sox do that make me angry. Most Cub fans probably wouldn't even know most of the moves that the team is making. As long as Sammy gets to make his curtain calls, they're happy.

The case has always been that Cub fans get caught up in personalities - when I was a kid, it was "Ryno" Sandberg and Rick Sutcliffe and Andre Dawson and Shawon Dunston. Before the Sammy homer watch or putting up "Ks" for Kerry Wood, they were keeping the "Shawon-o-Meter" in the outfield, proudly displaying Dunston's struggle to stay above the Mendoza line. Heck, if Clayton was on the Cubs, they would probably think his .100 batting average in mid-May was cute. They allow themselves to get more into individual acheivements by Cubs players and could care less about whether or not the team is winning. With the amount of money the Cubs are raking in year after year, they should be in contention all the time. As it is, ownership has no interest in fielding a winning team. Just sprinkle in a few talents among the stiffs to keep interest up, and depend on the fans' idiocy to keep the bandwagon rolling.

voodoochile
03-03-2002, 02:59 PM
I don't know guys - I was all upset and frustrated about the Sox blowing it last year and the year before, but now I have a whole different take on it! Thank GOD they didn't win! What if they had? What if they had gone all the way? The next season would be just a bust! Watching them win all those games - how BORING! I mean, once you've been there, there's no reason to go again. Just another "been there done that" experience. In fact, someone get on the phone to Steinbrenner! My God, he clearly doesn't understand this at ALL! And all this time I thought JR was just a cheap idiot, when he was just saving us all from the inevitable heartache that comes from winning a WS. I have seen the light!!!!!!!!!

Only if we can get ShamMEMEME in exchange would I do that trade...

(Teal is the official sarcasm color for all you newbies)

PaleHoseGeorge
03-03-2002, 03:03 PM

LOL, good one! You're early favorite for this week's "Best of Sox Clubhouse" post!

BTW, welcome to the board!

:gulp:

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-03-2002, 03:09 PM
This sounds like it came from my in-laws house.
Thanks, I am now having a flashback.
:gulp:

LongDistanceFan
03-03-2002, 04:20 PM
it must be me today........... but i see another way....... maybe its my absolute hatred for anything of the sCrubs that is preventing me from seeing anything else............... so with that i will retract what i said and say sorry i was wrong.

guillen4life13
03-03-2002, 04:27 PM
do you know what this reminds me of, somewhat? my dad says this a lot to make fun of some people:

"I like it when you slap me because when you're done, you feel so good because there's no more pain coming."

it's pretty damn stupid.

irish rover
03-04-2002, 02:39 PM
it is as if they are more proud of the type of fans they are then the team

ma-gaga
03-04-2002, 02:43 PM
it is as if they are more proud of the type of fans they are then the team

aha. I think you've stumbled onto it. A true fan is a fan of the team, not the "experience", or of themselves. This is what is amazing about St.Louis, they somehow are fanatical about their team, but it's not a big deal. They don't wallow in misery complaining about their team.

Big Mac made the right choice when he went there. Besides the fact that he could still be playing as a DH.

:)