PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 'New' Fan Developments......

soxinem1
10-18-2006, 05:01 PM
My firm recently hired a new receptionist who hails from California. She moved here in November 2005. And like many 'new' Chicagoans, it was recommended by their friends here, and followed by her and her hubby, that they reside in Wrigleyville.

But she notes that she and her husband like the White Sox much better than the cubs, because of these primary reasons:

1. The park is cleaner, louder, and a more exciting atmosphere.
2. The team wins.
3. Better food.
4. Way better parking.
5. And get this, THE NEIGHBORHOOD AROUND THE PARK IS BETTER!

I've also had several new 'from out of town' residents move in my buildings who seem more drawn to the White Sox than the cubs, and have even noted that the experience of going to a cub game is lame and over-rated.

Has anyone else run into these occurances with meeting people new to the Chicago?

jenn2080
10-18-2006, 05:03 PM
That's awesome! I have a few friends who are not from here who's 2nd team is the Sox. No thanks to me :wink: They also like the park a lot better. However I have a few friends who had a bad experience at our park because of rude people.

tony1972
10-18-2006, 05:28 PM
My firm recently hired a new receptionist who hails from California. She moved here in November 2005. And like many 'new' Chicagoans, it was recommended by their friends here, and followed by her and her hubby, that they reside in Wrigleyville.

But she notes that she and her husband like the White Sox much better than the cubs, because of these primary reasons:

2. The team wins.
3. Better food.
4. Way better parking.

I've also had several new 'from out of town' residents move in my buildings who seem more drawn to the White Sox than the cubs, and have even noted that the experience of going to a cub game is lame and over-rated.

Has anyone else run into these occurances with meeting people new to the Chicago?

I have run into the same thing the last three years or so..(even before the Sox won the World Series)..I have worked in a downtown company since 1997..I'd say from 1997 to about 2003..almost all the new interns and hirees we received every summer from Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Indiana all seemed to become Cubs fans..(it was annoying)..

But I have noticed the last three years or so..a lot of new people to Chicago are going to more Sox games (even those who moved up north)..our company does have more outings to Sox games than ever before (especially after 2004/2005) so I think that has an affect..

But I think the fact that Wrigley has become priced out for a lot of people..that more casual fans started attending Sox games because the tickets were more affordable and easier to get..this has resulted in more casual fans gravitating towards the Sox (since the Cubs are increasingly becoming a rich man's ticket).....

It's just weird that I would say now 50/50 percent of new people moving to Chicago are becoming Sox/Cubs fans equally (as opposed to about 90/10 a few years ago)..

batmanZoSo
10-18-2006, 05:36 PM

2. The team wins.
3. Better food.
4. Way better parking.

Nice to hear, but the issue with the neighborhood around the park--there is no neighborhood around the park. The last 5 games I've been to I never even walked past a house.

soxinem1
10-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Nice to hear, but the issue with the neighborhood around the park--there is no neighborhood around the park. The last 5 games I've been to I never even walked past a house.

I think they were talking about safety concerns, IIRC.

Hitmen77
10-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Excellent news. For many years, anyone I ever met who was new to Chicago automatically became a Cubs fan. Since the population of the Chicago area is constantly changing with a steady stream of new residents, this was bad news.

This is where the dominance of Chicago's market share can be won. You're not going to change allegiance of lifelong fans of either teams - and likely won't change the allegiance of people who grew up in families that strongly supported one team. So, that leaves two sources of new fans: 1) youngsters who grow up in households not strongly supporting a particular team or 2) new residents.

Yes, the World Series title helped, but also credit the excellent renovations to the Cell that turned it into a very attractive ballpark - and more importantly, killed off the perception that it was a terrible ballpark. Also credit Brooks Boyer and his staff for better marketing of the team and drawing in more families with features such as the Fundamentals area. Finally, the neighborhood west of the Cell is really booming and that helps too.

cbotnyse
10-18-2006, 06:43 PM
on the list of primary reasons, #2 should be #1. :wink: :smile:

batmanZoSo
10-18-2006, 08:46 PM
I think they were talking about safety concerns, IIRC.

What safety concerns? You're surrounded by parking lots and there are cops everywhere.

DSpivack
10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
on the list of primary reasons, #2 should be #1. :wink: :smile:

Where's the Churros on this list?

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 10:43 AM

2. The team wins.
3. Better food.
4. Way better parking.

JimHendry: Do you see what these people are doing?
JohnMcDonough: I know Jim, I know. We've got to stop them somehow...
JimHendry: This is ****** ******* (throws ashtray thru window)
McDonough: Jim, take it easy. I'll have sports department do another "bears-real-chicagos-team" piece for the weekend
Hendry: But its too ****** late!!

FielderJones
10-19-2006, 11:00 AM
JimHendry: Do you see what these people are doing?
JohnMcDonough: I know Jim, I know. We've got to stop them somehow...
JimHendry: This is ****** ******* (throws ashtray thru window)
McDonough: Jim, take it easy. I'll have sports department do another "bears-real-chicagos-team" piece for the weekend
Hendry: But its too ****** late!!

:hawk
"I love it when you dramatize."

Cat Thief
10-19-2006, 11:09 AM

Maybe they didn't pay $18 for parking and had to walk through the dangerous neighborhood like many of us do.

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 11:15 AM
:hawk
"I love it when you dramatize."

I almost spit my coffee up just now, heh heh

southwstchi4life
10-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Maybe they didn't pay $18 for parking and had to walk through the dangerous neighborhood like many of us do.

Exactly its a nice community

soxfan13
10-19-2006, 11:27 AM

Yeah cuz there are no house/condos/apartments just north of the park or west of the railroad tracks.

Hitmen77
10-19-2006, 12:23 PM

I think there were some houses on my walk to Grandstand and back before a game last month, but I really wasn't paying attention because I was too busy dodging bullets.:wink:

Palehose13
10-19-2006, 12:51 PM

Take a walk to Grandstand, Puffers, or any other establishment out in the neighborhood (West of the park) and you'll see plenty of houses.

johnr1note
10-19-2006, 03:01 PM
I think this phenomena is also at work among the life time Chicagoan as well.

One of the law firms my company does business with has White Sox season tickets, and down through the years, the attorney I refer business to has invited me to many games. He's a life long friend (we went to school together), and he is a die-hard Cubs fan from way back. But, he prefers to go to Sox games now. Many of his reasons are the same as those listed by the original poster's friends. But add to it:

* U.S. Cellular Field is more "family friendly." My buddy has two daughters, and he swears he wouldn't dream of taking his girls to Wrigley Field, because its too much of a "frat boy" atmosphere -- a lot of twenty somthings getting drunk and acting childish, and he claims the security at Wrigley is not very tight. That is not to say that folks don't imbibe when they watch the Sox, but I have to agree with him that rude, drunken behavior is not tolerated and is policed well at the Cell. Also, the sections of the park that are designed for kids make it a lot more fun when you have smaller children.

* The amenities at the Cell are just light years ahead of the run down facilities at the Urinal. The food is tons better, the sight lines are better, and what used to be criticized as a "shopping mall" design has been improved upon so that even when at capacity, its not too tough to manuver around. Capacity crowds at Wrigley are UGLY.

What we are witnessing is a generation of fans who are being raised on the concept that the White Sox and the home park are a better alternative then the north side ball club. My son was 9 years old when the Sox won it all, and he's cemented in for life now. I was 9 in 1968, when it was tough to be a Sox fan and hard to argue that the Cubs were not a better alternative. The pendulum has swung our way, and hopefully, history will play it out and the Sox will be first in the hearts of Chicagoans once again.

miker
10-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Obviously these people haven't consulted with the all-knowning gods in the Chicago media...

Here's to smart people that think for themselves.:gulp: Like, Sox fans, there's not enough of them out there...

35th&Shields
10-19-2006, 03:50 PM
I've converted many people into being White Sox fans and/or fans of the USCF experience. Many of them previously would talk all kinds of nonsense about the park and the team and when I'd if they'd been to the park they'd all answer NO. Hilarious. Anyone who has ever been to a Sox game, especially in recent years would have to admit it is a great time.

INSox56
10-19-2006, 04:37 PM
You know the funny thing about Wrigley is that if/when they ever decide to rebuild, how in the hell are they going to manage it? You'd literally have to raze it down, clear it out, then rebuild on the existing property. There's no room at ALL in the surrounding area in which to build a new stadium, no parking lot, nothing. I'd like to see them manage that. Maybe they could play in Champaign

soxinem1
10-19-2006, 06:14 PM
What safety concerns? You're surrounded by parking lots and there are cops everywhere.

Remember, one of the knocks of the neighborhood by the 'Know It All's' is thow unsafe it is to go to a White Sox game.

Don't think for a minute that most of the newbies aren't told by someone that old myth that anything south of Harrison Street is bad, bad, bad...

maurice
10-19-2006, 06:50 PM
I've converted many people into being White Sox fans and/or fans of the USCF experience. Many of them previously would talk all kinds of nonsense about the park and the team and when I'd if they'd been to the park they'd all answer NO. Hilarious. Anyone who has ever been to a Sox game, especially in recent years would have to admit it is a great time.

Ditto. Cub fans are hard-pressed to deny that the Cell is a great place, once they've actually attended a game. As I just posted in another thread, I've "converted" many people who had negative perceptions of the neighborhood as well.

Soxfanspcu11
10-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Ditto. Cub fans are hard-pressed to deny that the Cell is a great place, once they've actually attended a game. As I just posted in another thread, I've "converted" many people who had negative perceptions of the neighborhood as well.

The Chicago media should really be ashamed for the way that they portrayed the area outside of our park. I have season tickets, so during the season, I am on the southside nearly EVERY day.

In the offseason, I am up there pretty much every weekend because I have a ton of friends that live around Comiskey, me and my buddy are actually currently working on moving up there as well.

I feel MUCH more safe in the area around Comiskey then I do in the area around Wrigley, but maybe that's just me.

Around Wrigley, you have just WAY too many drunk frat boys looking to start fights to impress their slutty girlfriends, it's appalling.

Around Comiskey, you have so many more down to Earth and friendly people. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of people that have partied at my friend's houses around Comiskey that we barely even knew, just people from the neighborhood. Conversely, I have been invited to numerous parties while hanging around my buddies places.

I have a few friends who live in Wrigleyville/Lakeview and the parties up there ALWAYS SUCK compared to the parties of my friends who live around Comiskey.

EVERY TIME that I go to a party on the North Side, some jagbag is trying to start a fight with someone to prove how "tough" they are, it never fails. On the South Side, everyone just seems out to have a good time.

NOTE-Not trying to insult people on the North Side, there are plenty of cool people there, I'm just saying in general.

thomas35forever
10-19-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm glad to hear those things about us. The atmosphere around Wrigleyville before a game is just too much to bear. Not enough room for the crowds that roam the streets on game day. It's about as far from family-friendly as you can get. Our atomsphere is a lot more cleaner and spacious. I haven't been to a game at Wrigley in three years, but I plan on observing my surroundings next time I go. Thanks for posting this thread!:D:

MarySwiss
10-19-2006, 08:59 PM
I've told this story before, so CliffNotes version is indicated.

My husband is of Polish extraction, born and raised on the Northwest Side. His entire extended family always lived there as well. A few years after we married, one of his cousins became engaged to a South Side girl, and her family--in Brighton Park--threw a shower for her.

Talk about panic! Seriously. My husband's female relatives didn't know what to do--until I volunteered to drive. When we arrived at the destination, lo and behold! They saw bungalows and two-flats, just like in their neighborhood. Amazing! And her family spoke the exact same Polish as they did.

tony1972
10-19-2006, 09:22 PM
In a lot of ways Hangar is write when he talks about the bias of the Chicago Media and the favoritism towards the Cubs, etc....

If people hear things on T.V or the radio or read about it in the papers without seeing with their own eyes..they will believe what they hear. We as Sox fans know what is true and not true because we go to the park and hang out in the neighborhood on a regular basis (so we laugh at the media 'myths')...

But those who move here or who grew up in the suburbs and rarely go into the city, etc...they BELIEVE these things we scoff at in the media..I have had people who had to go to Midway..IIT..Chinatown, etc who were from Northside/Suburbs..out of towners, etc..Actually ask me if they would be shot at? Should they stop at red lights (carjackings) and so on..

But when they actually came to a Sox game (work outing)..we went for lunch to a restaurant in Bridgeport..Chinatown, etc...they were surprised at their perceptions vs. reality.

Fortunately, the World Championship bought a lot of exposure to our team. A lot (and I mean a lot) of people who grew up in Chicago Area or not who had never been to a Sox game went for the first time this year and most loved their experience. And a majority said it was much better than going to Wrigley...

So we should defend our team.our park..our area, etc...and fight those misconceptions and myths. Maybe not in a foaming in the mouth type manner..but just bring a friend or co-worker to a game next year. They will be surprised...