PDA

View Full Version : Soxville by 2010?

tony1972
10-18-2006, 04:21 PM
With the condos springing up on 35th and State and 35th and Halstead and the development east, west and soon south of the park..plus Metra's proposed stop on 35th street - does anyone see a south side version of Comiskeyville by perhaps 2010?

Driving from U of C to the loop today I passed through Bronzeville and Bridgeport by car for the first time in about 3 years (I normally take the El to the games) and was shocked at all the changes in the areas in just a couple years...

Doesn't it seem we are in the stages that Wrigleyville was maybe in the mid 80's before the boom? How far do you think the redevelopment will go?

35th&Shields
10-18-2006, 04:24 PM
The biggest hurdle at this point will be that many of the residents in Bridgeport/Armour Square are reluctant to see an expansion of restaurants and bars.

tony1972
10-18-2006, 04:35 PM
I agree. But I think many of those who are moving to the Southside for the first time in their lives are those who would welcome bars, restaurants, etc. Going to a few bars during games this summer..the make up of some of these places I have been going to for years seems different. (Maybe it was just the new bandwagoners this year I noticed? :D: )

Ol' No. 2
10-18-2006, 04:38 PM
I agree. But I think many of those who are moving to the Southside for the first time in their lives are those who would welcome bars, restaurants, etc. Going to a few bars during games this summer..the make up of some of these places I have been going to for years seems different. (Maybe it was just the new bandwagoners this year I noticed? :D: )The difficulty is that USCF is surrounded by parking lots, so you can't build bars and restaurants across the street like you have up north. Armor park to the north and the Ryan to the east closes that off. The only close areas you can build would be on the other side of the RR tracks to the west or along Wentworth.

tony1972
10-18-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't mean exactly like Wrigleyville..but it will be interesting to see the area in about five more years...

I like the neighborhood now..you can play softball or volleyball in Armour Square before the game, tailgate, (you could stop at Jimbo's :mad: ), grab a hot dog on 35th street, etc. I just think it will be even more fun in a few more years..

DumpJerry
10-18-2006, 04:43 PM
The difficulty is that USCF is surrounded by parking lots, so you can't build bars and restaurants across the street like you have up north. Armor park to the north and the Ryan to the east closes that off. The only close areas you can build would be on the other side of the RR tracks to the west or along Wentworth.
What about McCuddy's?

soxinem1
10-18-2006, 04:46 PM
With the condos springing up on 35th and State and 35th and Halstead and the development east, west and soon south of the park..plus Metra's proposed stop on 35th street - does anyone see a south side version of Comiskeyville by perhaps 2010?

Driving from U of C to the loop today I passed through Bronzeville and Bridgeport by car for the first time in about 3 years (I normally take the El to the games) and was shocked at all the changes in the areas in just a couple years...

Doesn't it seem we are in the stages that Wrigleyville was maybe in the mid 80's before the boom? How far do you think the redevelopment will go?

I think SoxVille has witnessed more building than Wrigleyville, and it will be even more noticeable before 2010.

But Wrigleyville is mostly a transient population. Outsiders are much more commonplace for over 20 years there.

The idea is good, but the protective nature of the neighborhood does not help, because they do not care for outsiders.

It should be interesting to watch. I made a plan for this type of thing years ago and one of the things I included was building a Chicago Baseball Hall of Fame, among other things.

Ol' No. 2
10-18-2006, 04:47 PM
I don't mean exactly like Wrigleyville..but it will be interesting to see the area in about five more years...

I like the neighborhood now..you can play softball or volleyball in Armour Square before the game, tailgate, (you could stop at Jimbo's :mad: ), grab a hot dog on 35th street, etc. I just think it will be even more fun in a few more years..The area is redeveloping like crazy. It can't and shouldn't be another Wrigleyville. It will develop its own character. The areas along Wentworth, both to the north and south, seem like prime areas for commercial redevelopment, especially since facing the Ryan they would get a lot of visibility.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2006, 05:28 PM

I like the neighborhood now..you can play softball or volleyball in Armour Square before the game, tailgate, (you could stop at Jimbo's :mad: ), grab a hot dog on 35th street, etc. I just think it will be even more fun in a few more years..]

I think so. It can't be like Wrigleyville--which is a good thing if you, you know, like parking--but the Bridgeport area and Bronzeville area are definitely on the up and up. Five years from now it'll be a lot different from five years ago.

Luke
10-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Depending what is meant by another Wrigleyville, it doesn't seem likely. The biggest reason is that the neighbors just don't want that to happen. Demographically it's an older, more established neighborhood, with a population that is much more stable than Wrigleyville.

While the area is changing, it still seems to be an older crowd moving in as opposed to recent college grads, important since the younger crowd is what drives the large number of bars in Wrigleyville. They would have to have a crowd like that to bring the business to bars when the Sox aren't playing.

I see Bridgeport changing...all neighborhoods do overtime, but it will still have its own unique flavor. There will be some new bars/taverns/restraunts along with some new housing stock, but won't become like the neighborhood up noth...thank god.

Myrtle72
10-18-2006, 06:05 PM
I think it would be awesome if the area around the Cell became more city-like rather than a big suburban neighborhood. And it can happen. It would take some significant restructuring and demolishing of parking lots and other things. It's not entirely likely that it's going to happen by 2010, though. And you would definately need to get a younger crowd living in the area.

cbotnyse
10-18-2006, 06:54 PM
I dont see it happening for awhile. The main difference is Bridgeport is full of families that have been in the neighborhood for generations. (including my own). My grandfather and his sisters were among the first residents along Wells Street near 31st. They are all still there, except my grandfather actually, he moved out in the 60's further south.

Wrigleyville is a melting pot of people from all over Chicago and the country. And where do many kids go when they graduate college and work in the city? Wrigleyville or LP.

That trend will take generations to change.

lakeviewsoxfan
10-18-2006, 07:06 PM
I dont see it happening for awhile. The main difference is Bridgeport is full of families that have been in the neighborhood for generations. (including my own). My grandfather and his sisters were among the first residents along Wells Street near 31st. They are all still there, except my grandfather actually, he moved out in the 60's further south.

Wrigleyville is a melting pot of people from all over Chicago and the country. And where do many kids go when they graduate college and work in the city? Wrigleyville or LP.

That trend will take generations to change.

Bingo. I live in Lakeview (I hate the name Wrigleyville) And if you were to do a public poll my guess would be that at least 40-60% of the residents are from surrounding states especially Michigan. It would be nice for a couple of bars and restaurants to open but I like the neighborhood just the way it is a Chicago neighborhood, come to thinkl about it I wouldn't change a thing. Go Bears

Law11
10-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Time will tell. i have a very affluent friend who because of his race was basically steered away from bridgeport and into bronzeville.
He moved into the Mayor's area instead.

INSox56
10-18-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm pretty interested and excited to see what the areas S and E of the stadium will turn out like in the future. It's obvious that they're trying to make it less...run down?...by gutting the old apartment complexes out (especially on Pershing) and bringing in hopefully a nicer apartment area. They've done that somewhat on the E side of Pershing near the park and LSD. It'd be nice to see that spread W and meet up with the development that's starting on the E side of the Ryan.

I know that if the apartments get bought out and gutted, thus improved, the rent can be raised, hopefully getting a less extremely low-income area and improving the "big bad south side" area. The W side of the Ryan could be a good area for the proposed bars and restaurants.

I dunno, this is probably a chicken and the egg problem.

TDog
10-18-2006, 09:03 PM
The difficulty is that USCF is surrounded by parking lots, so you can't build bars and restaurants across the street like you have up north. Armor park to the north and the Ryan to the east closes that off. The only close areas you can build would be on the other side of the RR tracks to the west or along Wentworth.

That's what makes it better than Wrigleyville. When I go to a ballgame, not having to stumble over drunks is a plus. Parking lots are better than bars.

Hitmen77
10-18-2006, 09:39 PM

5 years ago, some of the folks on this site were correctly saying that urban renewal was about 5 years away from reaching Sox Park. I found that hard to believe at the time, but it's amazing to see how much the area has improved since 2000. Given another 5 years, yeah I can see even more improvements.

I think we're almost all agreed here that we don't expect nor want a Wrigleyville clone in Bridgeport. But, the area west of the park is really booming and I can see more hangouts for fans springing up there. The renewal of the area east of the park is just getting started. That's the area that'll change the most in 5 years.

rdivaldi
10-18-2006, 10:23 PM
I went to the grand opening of the Park Boulevard development, which is basically going to be the neighborhood between 35th and Pershing lining State Street. I almost gagged on my soda when the sales rep said that single family homes were starting at $650K. The condos and 3 flats weren't all that cheap either. Times are a changin'...

havelj
10-18-2006, 11:17 PM
As far as bars and restaurants near Wrigley - I don't think it will be nor do I want it to be like that area.

You'd be surprised how many establishments have failed there even during their "golden era."

The months October-March is a BIG chuck of the year where there is no baseball AND bad weather. Why would people outside of the area go there to drink and eat?

We just need to have the area around there become more valuable to live at and to have more people buying into the area.

I'm sure we all want more bars/restaurants there - but we really need people to live there to support local establishments. Plus-not lose the ability to tailgate - one of the best advantages the SOX have in the city.

Gavin
10-18-2006, 11:44 PM
There is no way the area around USCF will be anything like Wrigleyville by 2010, let alone 2012. Development just doesn't occur that fast in already-developed areas. That being said, I'm interested to see what a possible 2016 Olympic bid can do in terms of revitalization, given the latest plans.

FielderJones
10-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Development just doesn't occur that fast in already-developed areas.

I see you've never been to Hinsdale, my friend.

Gavin
10-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Hinsdale is nothing like the south side of Chicago, Proper.

MUsoxfan
10-19-2006, 01:43 AM
There is no way the area around USCF will be anything like Wrigleyville by 2010, let alone 2012. Development just doesn't occur that fast in already-developed areas.

It does. Especially when there's a motivation.

While Bridgeport/Canaryville is already "developed", it's not the desired effect of development. Housing projects are moving out and high-priced housing is moving in. Lincoln Park went through this same sort of renaissance 20 years ago or so and I feel the same is to come for Bridgeport.

Walk west down 37th St from The Cell and tell me there's no "development". If you claim there's not, try to buy a property in there and tell me how much it sets you back

Hitmen77
10-19-2006, 09:07 AM
There is no way the area around USCF will be anything like Wrigleyville by 2010, let alone 2012. Development just doesn't occur that fast in already-developed areas. That being said, I'm interested to see what a possible 2016 Olympic bid can do in terms of revitalization, given the latest plans.

Apparently you haven't ventured west of the Cell in recent years. Revitalization is already here.

No, it won't be like Wrigleyville - but that's perfectly fine with me because I don't want it to be another Wrigleyville and it doesn't have to be to be an inviting neighborhood.

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 09:14 AM
The difficulty is that USCF is surrounded by parking lots, so you can't build bars and restaurants across the street......

:reinsy

( Calmly hides behind Brooks Boyers Desk)

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 09:20 AM
There is no way the area around USCF will be anything like Wrigleyville by 2010, let alone 2012..

You've been reading the Tribune havnt you? You should take a walk around 35th & Halsted. There are 3 major condo developments already built, at least 3 more breaking ground. Everything from 31st to 35th on Halsted has been streetscaped. Change is already happening.

Personally, if Jerry would loosen the Iron Grip and let the Hamster-Ramps be knocked down on 35th and a row of bars and restaurants built there in its stead, change would come extremely rapidly. He doesnt realize it, but other businesses working alongside his, HELPS business, not deters it.

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 09:43 AM
You've been reading the Tribune havnt you? You should take a walk around 35th & Halsted. There are 3 major condo developments already built, at least 3 more breaking ground. Everything from 31st to 35th on Halsted has been streetscaped. Change is already happening.

Personally, if Jerry would loosen the Iron Grip and let the Hamster-Ramps be knocked down on 35th and a row of bars and restaurants built there in its stead, change would come extremely rapidly. He doesnt realize it, but other businesses working alongside his, HELPS business, not deters it.

And where exactly would the ramps be reloacted to?

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 09:50 AM
And where exactly would the ramps be reloacted to?

This can be handled any number of CREATIVE ways.

1. Combine the 2 Hamster ramps into one. That alone opens up a TON of space
2. Close Hamster ramps altogether and use the Hamster ramp in the LF Corner. It currently ISNT used
3. Relocate Hamster ramps to the INSIDE of the ballpark, where all the empty space is where the Faux Roman Arches are.

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 09:54 AM
This can be handled any number of CREATIVE ways.

1. Combine the 2 Hamster ramps into one. That alone opens up a TON of space
2. Close Hamster ramps altogether and use the Hamster ramp in the LF Corner. It currently ISNT used
3. Relocate Hamster ramps to the INSIDE of the ballpark, where all the empty space is where the Faux Roman Arches are.

1. If the two were combined into one, it would have to be much larger (wider). I'm not saying it couldn't be done but this would be expensive, time-consuming and not free up that much space.

2. Are you referring to Gate 6? That ramp is always open and I use it 95% of the time when I leave. In regards to closing the Gate 5 ramps, that really wouldn't work either. The ramps would be packed and the upper concourse would be a madhouse with everyone trying to get to only two exits. Fire codes may come into play here as well.

3. What area are you referrring to? As far as I'm aware, there isn't any space inside the park to place such large ramps. Even if there was, this would be expensive and time-consuming.

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 10:03 AM
1. If the two were combined into one, it would have to be much larger (wider). I'm not saying it couldn't be done but this would be expensive, time-consuming and not free up that much space.

2. Are you referring to Gate 6? That ramp is always open and I use it 95% of the time when I leave. In regards to closing the Gate 5 ramps, that really wouldn't work either. The ramps would be packed and the upper concourse would be a madhouse with everyone trying to get to only two exits. Fire codes may come into play here as well.

3. What area are you referrring to? As far as I'm aware, there isn't any space inside the park to place such large ramps. Even if there was, this would be expensive and time-consuming.

I am referring to Gate6, which isnt open for Entry, only for exiting. Why Im not sure. YES, use that for entry, would take over for part of Gate5 closing.

FielderJones
10-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Hinsdale is nothing like the south side of Chicago, Proper.

It is in the fact that money talks. There is a herd mentality in real estate. When a location becomes desirable, the speculators move in and redevelopment happens at a very rapid rate.

The redevelopment in the blocks around the Cell has been remarkable. The current rate may not be as fast as Hinsdale's, but give it a year. The originator of this thread may well be right; by 2010 you may not recognize the old Bridgeport.

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 10:07 AM
I am referring to Gate6, which isnt open for Entry, only for exiting. Why Im not sure. YES, use that for entry, would take over for part of Gate5 closing.

Entering at Gate 6 would certainly help with entering if Gate 5 were to close but it would be a zoo. Gate 5 is the gate of choice for basically all of Lot A and Lot B. Can you imagine the chaos with all those people trying to cross the street? There is only what, four turnstyles there? Compare that to the 15+ at Gate 5. Also, Gate 6 is right by the player's parking lot and I'm guessing the Sox don't want to have any more people milling around.

Gate 5 isn't going anywhere.

cubhater
10-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Time will tell. i have a very affluent friend who because of his race was basically steered away from bridgeport and into bronzeville.
He moved into the Mayor's area instead.

Times are a changing. There are actually a few African-Americans (I assume that's what you meant) moving into Bridgeport which is fantastic. That's something unheard of years ago considering the neighborhood's reputation.

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Entering at Gate 6 would certainly help with entering if Gate 5 were to close but it would be a zoo. Gate 5 is the gate of choice for basically all of Lot A and Lot B. Can you imagine the chaos with all those people trying to cross the street? There is only what, four turnstyles there? Compare that to the 15+ at Gate 5. Also, Gate 6 is right by the player's parking lot and I'm guessing the Sox don't want to have any more people milling around.

Gate 5 isn't going anywhere.

That gate is a ZOO only because gate6 is Not Open For Entering. Everyone coming off the Red line and Green Line are combining with everyone coming from the Parking Lots to create that nonsense.

cubhater
10-19-2006, 10:29 AM

Take a look at what's happening at 35th/Aberdeen....

http://www.dubinresidential.com/site/epage/35607_482.htm

Not to mention this along the river....

http://www.bridgeportvillage.com/

There's also the new condos at 35th/Morgan and plans to convert the old warehouses to the west into condos. You can see the new condos with storefronts at 35th/Halsted and it's a matter of time before development begins on the vacant land down the block by 31st.

Drive along any residential street, especially west of Halsted, and odds are you'll see a newly constructed house or a rehab project with a dumpster in front of a building. Dilapidated houses are bought for over $200,000 and torn down just for the land value.

Bridgeport is rapidly changing.

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 10:29 AM
That gate is a ZOO only because gate6 is Not Open For Entering. Everyone coming off the Red line and Green Line are combining with everyone coming from the Parking Lots to create that nonsense.

What are you talking about? I thought you wanted to get rid of Gate 5?

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 10:30 AM
What are you talking about? I thought you wanted to get rid of Gate 5?

What am I talking about? I gave you 3 options. (see option1 for more details) ...

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 10:32 AM
What am I talking about? I gave you 3 options. check them out again ...

:dunno:

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 10:34 AM
:dunno:

Okay, you quoted Option2 and ignored Option1 .... why?

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Okay, you quoted Option2 and ignored Option1 .... why?

I already addressed how your options won't really work but we'll do it again:

1. If you want to maintain capacity at Gate 5 by removing one of the "hamster ramps", then the remaining ramp will need to double in size; four sets of escalators rather than two, double-wide ramps, double the number of turnstyles. This ramp will be huge and not really save a lot of space that could be used for restaurants, bars, etc. Plus, it will take a lot of money and time to accomplish this task for no real gain. Even if you opened up Gate 6 for entry, that gate simply can't handle a great deal of people. The ramp is narrower than the others, there are no escalators and there is only space for maybe 4 or 5 turnstyles. You see those crazy lines at Gate 2? There would be similar lines at Gate 6 and unlike Gate 2, the lines would need to take over the sidewalk on a major city street. There are no crosswalks right at the gate so there would be jaywalkers and accidents.

2. This is totally not feasible. There would have to be 20 or so turnstyles added to Gate 6 or additional turnstyles added to Gate 3. There would be long walks to gates for many fans and I'm pretty sure there is a fire code issue that dictates the exists have to be where they are.

3. As I said early, I don't understand what areas you are talking about. There is simply no space within the stadium proper to fit ramps the size of the exterior ones. Are you proposing a greater amount of smaller ramps? Even then it would be a nightmare trying to shoe-horn them into the existing structure. Offices would need to be relocated, etc.

The easiest and cheapest solution to adding restarants/bars around the park is to eat up some of the parking lot space. The ramps aren't going anywhere.

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 10:53 AM
I already addressed how your options won't really work but we'll do it again:

1. If you want to maintain capacity at Gate 5 by removing one of the "hamster ramps", then the remaining ramp will need to double in size; four sets of escalators rather than two, double-wide ramps, double the number of turnstyles. This ramp will be huge and not really save a lot of space that could be used for restaurants, bars, etc. Plus, it will take a lot of money and time to accomplish this task for no real gain. Even if you opened up Gate 6 for entry, that gate simply can't handle a great deal of people. The ramp is narrower than the others, there are no escalators and there is only space for maybe 4 or 5 turnstyles. You see those crazy lines at Gate 2? There would be similar lines at Gate 6 and unlike Gate 2, the lines would need to take over the sidewalk on a major city street. There are no crosswalks right at the gate so there would be jaywalkers and accidents.

2. This is totally not feasible. There would have to be 20 or so turnstyles added to Gate 6 or additional turnstyles added to Gate 3. There would be long walks to gates for many fans and I'm pretty sure there is a fire code issue that dictates the exists have to be where they are.

3. As I said early, I don't understand what areas you are talking about. There is simply no space within the stadium proper to fit ramps the size of the exterior ones. Are you proposing a greater amount of smaller ramps? Even then it would be a nightmare trying to shoe-horn them into the existing structure. Offices would need to be relocated, etc.

The easiest and cheapest solution to adding restarants/bars around the park is to eat up some of the parking lot space. The ramps aren't going anywhere.

We went down Option1 route because you said (rightly so) where would people enter from parkinglots. In the days of old, people were crossing the streets to enter the park. Isnt a problem that crossing guards couldnt handle. Close HALF of Gate5. 1/2 of that hamster ramp takes up an inordinate amount of space (Petco ramps for example, creatively turned sideways, and dont take up as much room as in Chicago). If the SOX are worried that Gate6 doesnt have as many turnstiles, PUT MORE THERE.
Point is, gate6 would be a logical entrance, but somehow the SOX were thinking of something else when they decided to not have it open for Entering. You forgot, but not too long ago, the SOX toyed with the Idea of a bigger entrance at gate6.

1/2 the hamster ramp would allow enough space for a couple of bars to open on either side of the ramp.

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Heck. theres enough space to put TWO MORE escalators going up at Gate5.

Cat Thief
10-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Take a look at what's happening at 35th/Aberdeen....

http://www.dubinresidential.com/site/epage/35607_482.htm

Not to mention this along the river....

http://www.bridgeportvillage.com/

There's also the new condos at 35th/Morgan and plans to convert the old warehouses to the west into condos. You can see the new condos with storefronts at 35th/Halsted and it's a matter of time before development begins on the vacant land down the block by 31st.

Drive along any residential street, especially west of Halsted, and odds are you'll see a newly constructed house or a rehab project with a dumpster in front of a building. Dilapidated houses are bought for over $200,000 and torn down just for the land value.

Bridgeport is rapidly changing.

Those lofts on 35th look great. If I didn't have 2 kids in school and 2 dogs that need a yard, I definitely would look into that.

Isn't that land on 31st and Halsted supposed to be for a new Police Station?

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 10:59 AM

He did not say gate 5 is a zoo now. That is one the best gates to go through.

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 11:11 AM
He did not say gate 5 is a zoo now. That is one the best gates to go through.

Yes, but if Im getting off the L, why should I pass within 75 feet of a perfectly nice ramp, but cant enter it, and have to walk another 200 or so feet to get in? What Im saying is, have people from the east of the Ryan entering at Gate6, retrofit a few more turnstiles at gate6 too. People entering from parking lots north of park, will now enter at newer 1/2 version of Gate5. Retrofritting Gate5 with a couple more escalators more than offsets loss of a few turnstiles there.

The good folks over at HOK Sport are gnashing their teeth reading this thread right now, heh heh

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Yes, but if Im getting off the L, why should I pass within 75 feet of a perfectly nice ramp, but cant enter it, and have to walk another 200 or so feet to get in? What Im saying is, have people from the east of the Ryan entering at Gate6, retrofit a few more turnstiles at gate6 too. People entering from parking lots north of park, will now enter at newer 1/2 version of Gate5. Retrofritting Gate5 with a couple more escalators more than offsets loss of a few turnstiles there.

The good folks over at HOK Sport are gnashing their teeth reading this thread right now, heh heh

Come on though. What you are decribing is a matter of a 1/2 block. This isnt a matter of a difference between gate 6 and gate 2. Are we really that lazy?

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Come on though. What you are decribing is a matter of a 1/2 block. This isnt a matter of a difference between gate 6 and gate 2. Are we really that lazy?

Well, I can turn that around and ask the SOX are they too Lazy to open Gate6 for entering? Thats another point though. Point of this, was to figure out a way to open up more SPACE on 35th to accomodate a couple of private enterprises. Short of relocating all of the SOX offices, this would be the next easiest thing to do, Using Gate6 and retro-fitting Gate5.

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Well, I can turn that around and ask the SOX are they too Lazy to open Gate6 for entering? Thats another point though. Point of this, was to figure out a way to open up more SPACE on 35th to accomodate a couple of private enterprises. Short of relocating all of the SOX offices, this would be the next easiest thing to do, Using Gate6 and retro-fitting Gate5.

Gate 6 could go to Miller's point. Clearly there is a reason as to why it is not open to the public. I can write my season ticket rep Rob(not Mackowiak :rolleyes: ) and ask him. I will report back on this. There is no where to put bars over there. The only thing they can do is take out a chunk of parking on Shields and 35th and build a few places. However wouldnt this turn it into Wrigley area? Wouldnt people be in the bars more then the games? hmmmmm....Isn't that taking something away from our style of tailgating and gathering in the lots before the game? Instead we can go to the bars. :rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Heck. theres enough space to put TWO MORE escalators going up at Gate5.

But there really isn't that much space. There are maintenance and removal galleries that need to remain. It may look like "empty spce" but it serves a purpose. If they just crammed escalators in as tight as they could, they would be up a creek if they ever required a mojor repair.

We went down Option1 route because you said (rightly so) where would people enter from parkinglots. In the days of old, people were crossing the streets to enter the park. Isnt a problem that crossing guards couldnt handle. Close HALF of Gate5. 1/2 of that hamster ramp takes up an inordinate amount of space (Petco ramps for example, creatively turned sideways, and dont take up as much room as in Chicago). If the SOX are worried that Gate6 doesnt have as many turnstiles, PUT MORE THERE.
Point is, gate6 would be a logical entrance, but somehow the SOX were thinking of something else when they decided to not have it open for Entering. You forgot, but not too long ago, the SOX toyed with the Idea of a bigger entrance at gate6.

1/2 the hamster ramp would allow enough space for a couple of bars to open on either side of the ramp.

There is not the physical space at the Gate 6 entrance to add additional turnstyles. Significant structural changes would be required to handle the massive amount of people that would be moving through there. There are also no escalators so those would need to be added (could be placed on the outside of the ramps).

Traffic on 35th is already a disaster on game days. An additional major street crossing will further gum up the operation. Plus there is the issue with how the people will line up. Will there be one line running down 35th St.? If so, which way would it go? The logical choice is to the west since this avoids the employee entrance, the access road west of Wentworth and the whole Wentworth/35th intersection. But now this line is further away from the L stations, which is a major reason to open Gate 6 in the first place. If the line stretched to the east, then it runs into the intersection.

you want restaurants and bars? Take the first two rows of Lot B and some of the concrete concourse outside Gate 5. That is plenty of space for a few bars/restaurants. These would be somewhat off the street though so probably wouldn't get a lot of action in the offseason. In that case, they would probably want to go with one business at the south end of Lot C or the north end of Lot D.

duke of dorwood
10-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Its gonna take something on the West Side of the Ryan to get those upscale folks to cross that WIDE expressway and come into that neighborhood. Whether its a place like a Bennigans, Chili's or a TGI Fridays, that is what its gonna take to get folks there. There's just not enough places to eat there yet that's gonna attract people. With the Sox seemingly taking $ from anyone these days, they could, for example, put a Bennigans-type place in a parking lot and name the lot after it.

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 11:37 AM
you want restaurants and bars? Take the first two rows of Lot B and some of the concrete concourse outside Gate 5. That is plenty of space for a few bars/restaurants. These would be somewhat off the street though so probably wouldn't get a lot of action in the offseason. In that case, they would probably want to go with one business at the south end of Lot C or the north end of Lot D.

There we go .....dialogue! The LotC and LotD ideas are Excellent and should also be considered. In my neighborhood, there are no alleys, but causeways so that you can throw out trash etc. Same thing can be done here in this case ....

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 11:41 AM
There we go .....dialogue! The LotC and LotD ideas are Excellent and should also be considered. In my neighborhood, there are no alleys, but causeways so that you can throw out trash etc. Same thing can be done here in this case ....

The only concern with this plan is how the restaurant patrons would affect traffic entering/leaving the lots. The causeways help but fencing would be required.

I'm sort of indifferent to the whole restaurant/bar idea but seizing parking lot space makes for more sense than redoing the ramps. The former is cheap and quick, the later is expensive and time consuming.

Jerko
10-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Jesus H Christ (not to be confused with cheeses h rice), let's just raze and rebuild the whole ****in neighborhood while we're at it so people don't have to walk an extra 3 minutes on a summer day. We can re-route the Ryan, dam up the Chicago river so we can get a Metra commuter boat to bring fans to the Cell, turn the park around so we can watch the top of the Sears tower instead of the game, build a few arches, start a new colony, and hell, may as well put a cell tower where old home plate is at now. I'll call my contact at the CTA and see if we can get stops installed at every gate, and instead of the 35 bus, we'll have to renumber it 35, 36 AND 37h street bus. Maybe we can build a few teleporters too. This way nobody will have to walk 2 blocks and we can save all the 7-11 money to put up a cathedral. ***??????????????? How about a drawbridge between the bullpen bar and 37th street for the poor people who park in lot L or whatever it is. Come on.

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Jesus H Christ (not to be confused with cheeses h rice), let's just raze and rebuild the whole ****in neighborhood while we're at it so people don't have to walk an extra 3 minutes on a summer day. We can re-route the Ryan, dam up the Chicago river so we can get a Metra commuter boat to bring fans to the Cell, turn the park around so we can watch the top of the Sears tower instead of the game, build a few arches, start a new colony, and hell, may as well put a cell tower where old home plate is at now. I'll call my contact at the CTA and see if we can get stops installed at every gate, and instead of the 35 bus, we'll have to renumber it 35, 36 AND 37h street bus. Maybe we can build a few teleporters too. This way nobody will have to walk 2 blocks and we can save all the 7-11 money to put up a cathedral. ***??????????????? How about a drawbridge between the bullpen bar and 37th street for the poor people who park in lot L or whatever it is. Come on.

:o: :(: :rolling: :rolling:

tony1972
10-19-2006, 11:53 AM

I want the Cell built right in front of my house if possible..or the very least the Sox could do with my season ticket plan is to send a helicopter to airlift me to me seat on game days..

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 11:54 AM

Epic rant.

The fact is that we are for the most part limited in what we can be done due to the original design of the park. It is a suburban design that was rammed into an urban location. A mistake for sure and the Sox are doing what they can to make a more enjoyable fan experience but they are extremely limited in what they can do.

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 11:55 AM
I want the Cell built right in front of my house if possible..or the very least the Sox could do with my season ticket plan is to send a helicopter to airlift me to me seat on game days..

Dont forget about a red carpet where they wheel you to your seat because god for bid you may walk a few blocks. :D:

Jerko
10-19-2006, 11:56 AM
The CELL, circa 2020. Lead architects: Hangar18, Mike Brady, Fluffy the Hamster:

http://www.bestpetsupply.com/brands/Habitrail/habitrailspacelogo.jpg

You have the secluded 500, 600, and 700 levels on the right, the fundamental feeding deck, the center field fan pod, some nice suites replete with exercise wheels because nobody walks from the train anymore, and a centralized entrance that is connected to the entire state of Illinois. Somebody email Brooks.

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 11:57 AM
The CELL, circa 2020. Lead architects: Hangar18, Mike Brady, Fluffy the Hamster:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Jerko
10-19-2006, 12:02 PM
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I went back and added on the specs...

Cat Thief
10-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Isn't that taking something away from our style of tailgating and gathering in the lots before the game? Instead we can go to the bars. :rolleyes:

Amen!

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Epic rant.

The fact is that we are for the most part limited in what we can be done due to the original design of the park. It is a suburban design that was rammed into an urban location. A mistake for sure and the Sox are doing what they can to make a more enjoyable fan experience but they are extremely limited in what they can do.

Yes .............. hence the tone of the thread.

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Amen!

I don't think anyone is suggesting razing all the lots to throw up bars and restaurants. It would be a nice addition to have maybe one bar across from the stadium ala McCuddys. This would take away minimal parking.

Jerko
10-19-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't think anyone is suggesting razing all the lots to throw up bars and restaurants. It would be a nice addition to have maybe one bar across from the stadium ala McCuddys. This would take away minimal parking.

That I can agree with. Cathedral entrances and moving all the ramps and gates around isn't gonna happen.

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 12:12 PM
That I can agree with. Cathedral entrances and moving all the ramps and gates around isn't gonna happen.

They could also build it on stilts 50 feet high so you could still park under there and see the city skyline.

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 12:14 PM

You have the secluded 500, 600, and 700 levels on the right, the fundamental feeding deck, the center field fan pod, some nice suites replete with exercise wheels because nobody walks from the train anymore, and a centralized entrance that is connected to the entire state of Illinois. Somebody email Brooks.

And we have a Dome because god for bid it be cold.

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 12:16 PM
And we have a Dome because god for bid it be cold.

Horsemaster Jenn strikes again...

:D:

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 12:34 PM

:reinsy

" HEY! Thats my design! Where did you get that? Wheres Gallas?"

batmanZoSo
10-19-2006, 12:38 PM

Even a strip mall type deal of a few neat little bars and restaurants (with crazy crap on the walls) could theoretically be put up and take up a neglible amount of space. It really would be nice to have something going on across the street.

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Even a strip mall type deal of a few neat little bars and restaurants (with crazy crap on the walls) could theoretically be put up and take up a neglible amount of space. It really would be nice to have something going on across the street.

or you can shut down Shields and put a like street vendor style stuff.

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 12:48 PM
or you can shut down Shields and put a like street vendor style stuff.

Say ....... They could put 5 or 6 new places on the west side of the street facing Shields, with an "alley" behind the places. The rest of the unused area remains the Parking Lot, with access to the lots on off-days/off season

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Say ....... They could put 5 or 6 new places on the west side of the street facing Shields, with an "alley" behind the places. The rest of the unused area remains the Parking Lot, with access to the lots on off-days/off season

I was actually saying do something how they do in front of the **** Dome or Fenway. Close the street down have some beer stands, some tunes, a few food stands and call it a day. That sounds like warm fuzzies for everyone. Have it open 1 hr after game. DONE! Jenn solved the problem :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Chisox353014
10-19-2006, 12:52 PM

That's pretty good, but where's the Armour Park moving walkway feeder ramp? The CTA/Metra drop point? The churro tunnel (Chunnel)? :dunno:

tony1972
10-19-2006, 12:52 PM
I remember reading in the Trib (sorry Hangar :D: ) that a developer was going to build some type of sports bar on State Street and 37th? (right by the new Park Boulevard Condos and Townhouses)..I must have read this probably early this year I think January.

Does anyone else remember reading this?

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 01:56 PM

A strip mall setup would be nice but not strip mall stores. I don't feel the need to stop by Coconuts or the Lumbar Yard when I'm going to a game. There would be no parking either, other than the existing lots. Close off Shields on game day, set up some street-fair atmosphere, have some youth baseball skills contests in the park and now we got something cooking.

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 01:59 PM
A strip mall setup would be nice but not strip mall stores. I don't feel the need to stop by Coconuts or the Lumbar Yard when I'm going to a game. There would be no parking either, other than the existing lots. Close off Shields on game day, set up some street-fair atmosphere, have some youth baseball skills contests in the park and now we got something cooking.

Don't try to steal this. This was mine first. :angry: :cool: :o: :angry: :D:

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Don't try to steal this. This was mine first. :angry: :cool: :o: :angry: :D:

Much like DeSoto's "discovering" of the Mississippi, these ideas would have been figured out anyway. This is a free-form forum and these ideas are out there for anyone to bag and tag.

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Much like DeSoto's "discovering" of the Mississippi, these ideas would have been figured out anyway. This is a free-form forum and these ideas are out there for anyone to bag and tag.

Dude I bagged and tagged a few posts ago. Please reread all posts by me here. GOSH MILLER! Who are you Chips?:D:

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Dude I bagged and tagged a few posts ago. Please reread all posts by me here. GOSH MILLER! Who are you Chips?:D:

I don't have time to re-read posts.

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 02:08 PM
I don't have time to re-read posts.

THIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: Miller this is war now! Be prepared.

cubhater
10-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Isn't that land on 31st and Halsted supposed to be for a new Police Station?

That was the original plan but word in the neighborhood says the city doesn't have the money to build the station so it'll remain at its present location and some developer bought the land.

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 02:38 PM
That was the original plan but word in the neighborhood says the city doesn't have the money to build the station so it'll remain at its present location and some developer bought the land.

then why is there a sign that defiantly states "future home of CPD station"?

KMKsuburbannoise
10-19-2006, 02:44 PM
i would love to see them put up some nice bars and things but i don't see too much happening. I think those projects in the back of left field would have to go to make it look good. no matter what they do, that housing area makes the area look like ****.

Hitmen77
10-19-2006, 02:44 PM
I went to the grand opening of the Park Boulevard development, which is basically going to be the neighborhood between 35th and Pershing lining State Street. I almost gagged on my soda when the sales rep said that single family homes were starting at $650K. The condos and 3 flats weren't all that cheap either. Times are a changin'...

:thud:

Holy crap. I'm all for the idea that the area is on the upswing, but wow - are they really going to find people to pay $650k and up for a home on the site of the Robert Taylor homes? :o: Maybe they should knock down that last project tower before listing that price.

Luke
10-19-2006, 02:59 PM
They're about to start with demo of the Taylor Homes if they haven't already.

http://www.wbbm780.com/pages/100775.php?contentType=4&contentId=219328

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 03:02 PM

Holy crap. I'm all for the idea that the area is on the upswing, but wow - are they really going to find people to pay $650k and up for a home on the site of the Robert Taylor homes? :o: Maybe they should knock down that last project tower before listing that price.

The Park Boulevard website indicates single family homes START in the $500s. Those would be the smaller homes and not include upgrades. These are the homes being built on the old Stateway Garden homes (these are the ones that were on State St. just south of 35th).

There will eventually be 1,316 apartments, condos, townhomes and single family homes in 37 buildings. I can't imagine there will be more than a dozen single family homes so they will be quite exclusive.

cbotnyse
10-19-2006, 03:08 PM
maybe if they added a watering hole to the neighborhood it would attract alot more people there.

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 03:11 PM
maybe if they added a watering hole to the neighborhood it would attract alot more people there.

Nah, it would just attract a lot more people to the computer screen.:D:

The Immigrant
10-19-2006, 03:14 PM

The single family homes around Cabrini Green go for more than $650k, and my guess is that the ones in Bronzeville will be a lot nicer. Cabrini Green is still there - at least Robert Taylor Homes are almost gone.

Single family homes in the Bridgeport Village area (which is next to, literally, nothing) are priced in the same range.

The Immigrant
10-19-2006, 03:27 PM
i would love to see them put up some nice bars and things but i don't see too much happening. I think those projects in the back of left field would have to go to make it look good. no matter what they do, that housing area makes the area look like ****.

The Robert Taylor Homes are almost gone and are being replaced with mixed-income housing developments. The Bridgeport/Bronzeville area does not need more bars - it needs sustainable development that will convince young professionals and couples with children to move into the area. Such southward yuppie migration will almost certainly lead to more bars and restaurants in the area, which Sox fans will be able to frequent before and after games. But this process has to unfold gradually and in a controlled fashion. The idea that someone will just decide to build bars around the parking lots around USCF that Sox fans can frequent 81 days a year, or that the City would support such an idea, is asinine IMHO.

KMKsuburbannoise
10-19-2006, 04:10 PM
The Robert Taylor Homes are almost gone and are being replaced with mixed-income housing developments. The Bridgeport/Bronzeville area does not need more bars - it needs sustainable development that will convince young professionals and couples with children to move into the area. Such southward yuppie migration will almost certainly lead to more bars and restaurants in the area, which Sox fans will be able to frequent before and after games. But this process has to unfold gradually and in a controlled fashion. The idea that someone will just decide to build bars around the parking lots around USCF that Sox fans can frequent 81 days a year, or that the City would support such an idea, is asinine IMHO.

I didn't even reialize that they were almost gone. I do think that they need to put some more things down there to attract fans, yes nice living areas would be nice to see but if you look at the area around Wrigley, it has both nice houses and apartments accompanied by a few blocks of nice bars. Fans need a place to go and the bars around the Cell don't offer that.

Hitmen77
10-19-2006, 04:42 PM
The single family homes around Cabrini Green go for more than $650k, and my guess is that the ones in Bronzeville will be a lot nicer. Cabrini Green is still there - at least Robert Taylor Homes are almost gone.

Single family homes in the Bridgeport Village area (which is next to, literally, nothing) are priced in the same range.

Wow - just wow. More power to people who can afford that I guess. I must be in the wrong line of work.

I could actually believe the Cabrini area prices because they are pretty close to prime north side areas. At least the Bridgeport village development is next to Bridgeport - which has been a stable residental area. But then again, last time I parked at a Sox game over in Lot L (probably in 2000) and exited onto Pershing, that street was lined with abandoned warehouses and looked pretty bad.

GoSox2K3
10-19-2006, 04:51 PM
I didn't even reialize that they were almost gone. I do think that they need to put some more things down there to attract fans, yes nice living areas would be nice to see but if you look at the area around Wrigley, it has both nice houses and apartments accompanied by a few blocks of nice bars. Fans need a place to go and the bars around the Cell don't offer that.

Why are we so obsessed with trying to be like Wrigley? I don't want the area around the Cell to be another Wrigleyville.

As far as having a few bars/restaurants around, if there are nice living areas around, eating and drinking establishments will follow.

GoSox2K3
10-19-2006, 04:53 PM
....all this talk about Wrigleyifying Bridgeport reminds me of the thread a few weeks ago where someone suggested that a Sox Park "Cubby Bear" would be called the "Soxy Hose". :kneeslap:

INSox56
10-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Wow - just wow. More power to people who can afford that I guess. I must be in the wrong line of work.

I could actually believe the Cabrini area prices because they are pretty close to prime north side areas. At least the Bridgeport village development is next to Bridgeport - which has been a stable residental area. But then again, last time I parked at a Sox game over in Lot L (probably in 2000) and exited onto Pershing, that street was lined with abandoned warehouses and looked pretty bad.

Yeah those project type apartments on Pershing were actually gutted at the beginning of the season, we drove by em every weekend. Hopefully they'll really improve them and keep spreading the nicer places around.

maurice
10-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Too many people never see anything beyond the bit of land between the tracks and the Ryan. These folks erroneously conclude that the entire neighborhood is vacant based on this relatively tiny sample. The land immediately surrounding the park is controlled by the Sox and the government. It looks that way because the Sox and the government want it to look that way, and it will continue to look that way until / unless they change their mind. However, the area north and west of the park long has been a fully functioning neighborhood, complete with nice bars, very good restaurants, other businesses, churches, schools, and middle- and working-class families.

Some of us have been debunking the myths for years at WSI, because a group of folks refused to acknowledge the difference between perception and reality. We practically begged people to look with their own eyes instead of spouting misinformed drivel, and those brave souls who did were pleasantly surprised.

I guess the perception has been changing, but the only major change to the reality is newer, more expensive housing. The privately owned industrial areas along 35th St., Pershing, Normal, Stewart, Racine, etc. have been morphing into $700K+ houses for the past several years. There is no end in sight, and the prices will continue to increase. These overwhelmingly are homes for families, not single Trixies and Chads. There are some condo developments / conversions as well, but the bulk of new construction will continue to be 3+ BR houses and townhomes, because that's what the neighborhood wants.

In other words, the folks who say that it never will be like "Wrigleyville" are correct.

pinwheels3530
10-20-2006, 01:16 AM
The area around 35th & Halsted looks like a good spot to put some more bars & restaurants once the condos are finished.

cubhater
10-20-2006, 01:26 PM
then why is there a sign that defiantly states "future home of CPD station"?

That sign was taken down awhile ago.

viagracat
10-20-2006, 04:12 PM
The redevelopment all over the South Side has been amazing. Not just Bridgeport and Bronzeville, but formerly forlorn neighborhoods like Oakland-North Kenwood and Woodlawn, which is for the most part a good thing. However, I think the slowdown in real estate development will affect the South Side like anywhere else, and I also believe it will be many years before enough of the young-and-the-restless yuppies from out of town start moving to the South Side to support a lot of bars and such. Perceptions die hard.

Besides, in another thread discussing the "neighborhood" mentality of Sox Fans as posted in Wikipedia, do we really want that kind of thing anyway? Lake View is also highly urbanized with a lot of condos and apartments suitable for young single people, whereas Bridgeport and Armour Square are more two-and-three-flats and single-family houses. Different demographic.

And east of the Ryan will always be Bronzeville and west of the railroad viaduct will always be Bridgeport, so that's another I don't see a colloquialism like "Soxville" or "Comiskeyville" taking hold anytime soon.

KMKsuburbannoise
10-20-2006, 05:14 PM
it would be cool to have some outside vendors like Fenway as well.

soxinem1
10-20-2006, 05:21 PM
I see you've never been to Hinsdale, my friend.

Or Naperville, for that matter...

rdivaldi
10-21-2006, 10:06 AM
The Park Boulevard website indicates single family homes START in the $500s. Those would be the smaller homes and not include upgrades. These are the homes being built on the old Stateway Garden homes (these are the ones that were on State St. just south of 35th).

Not in Phase 1, the SFH start at $650K. I don't know about Phase 2. If they started in the $500's I would seriously consider buying there...

rdivaldi
10-21-2006, 10:08 AM

They do have the river walk, which is kinda nice. You can get the cheapest Bridgeport Village homes in the mid 500's, but they have zero upgrades and honestly feel kinda cheap.

rdivaldi
10-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Why are we so obsessed with trying to be like Wrigley? I don't want the area around the Cell to be another Wrigleyville.

As far as having a few bars/restaurants around, if there are nice living areas around, eating and drinking establishments will follow.

It really doesn't have to do with wanting to be like Wrigley, but it has everything to do with making the area around the ballpark a nice area where you can spend the day with your family.

No self-respecting Sox fan wants the area around the ballpark to be jammed with rotted-out 1, 2, and 3 bedroom rental apartments. But it would be nice to have the area full of even more upscale single family homes, condos and restaurants. That day seems to be coming.

Hitmen77
10-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Here's an article in today's Trib that mentions how pricey the area near the Cell is getting:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0610210273oct21,1,2904225.story?coll=chi-news-hed