PDA

View Full Version : Granderson in demand....

Oblong
10-18-2006, 02:10 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/tigers/2006-10-17-granderson_x.htm

I'm posting this since Curtis is a local boy for most of you. He's easily one of my favorite players already. I don't like to overuse that term and have kept it to guys like Trammell and Parrish over the years. But he quickly grew on me.

He drives a 4 year old Trailblazer, has velcro shoes from Wal Mart, a 24 inch TV from Wal Mart, and still lives at home during the off season. But he does want to move to downtown Chicago.

Chicago should be proud for turning him out.

White Sox Randy
10-18-2006, 02:20 PM
I know his mother. She teaches at Curie HS. She's ordered some things for the science department from me over the years - before Curtis made it to the Majors.

We had a number of discussions about him. They were excited for him to make his debut but it was nice because you could tell that being a pro athlete in that family was not the be-all-end-all.

Anyway, he's a good kid and a comes from a good family. I wish he could have played for the Sox.

DeadMoney
10-18-2006, 02:23 PM
I have to admit, I like the guy a lot...it's just a shame he plays for Detroit. I wish he played on a team I liked/respected a little more, but as for Granderson, he seems like a good guy and if I had to pick one guy I like on Detroit, it'd be him. For me, he's one of those guys I like to root for.

MadetoOrta
10-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Nice article. Someday he may play here. In the meantime, keep the title in the Central!

palehozenychicty
10-18-2006, 03:39 PM
The arm isn't great, but I love the fact that he's playing well this postseason and is a Southside kid. KW, bring him back!

Madvora
10-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Come on. The guy's from Chicago, big deal. He might be a nice guy, but he's a lead off hitter with a mediocre average, a ton of strike outs, a ton of speed... but doesn't steal bases. I can't see why we would want anybody like that.

Remember that Rob Macowiack is an Oak Lawn guy. Did that do us any good?

Oblong
10-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Leyland has said all along that he's not really a leadoff guy, that he's a lower in the order guy. He's got power and his on base average was decent.

He tailed off this year near the end, which I think is safe to assume was fatigue since it was his first full year. His defense has been superb.

I don't care about the strikeouts. An out is an out. I'd rather it be a strike than a double play.

hi im skot
10-18-2006, 05:19 PM

Ozzie was the one who didn't do us any good in Mackowiak's case. I was glad to have him on our bench.

Granderson sounds like a good guy...I wish him the best of luck in the series.

TaylorStSox
10-18-2006, 05:28 PM
I hate every team he likes. I can't relate to this guy at all. I don't care where he's from. Well, I don't hate the Braves.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Come on. The guy's from Chicago, big deal. He might be a nice guy, but he's a lead off hitter with a mediocre average, a ton of strike outs, a ton of speed... but doesn't steal bases. I can't see why we would want anybody like that.

Don't you see. He plays for a team that's in the World Series, therefore if he were here, we'd be in the World Series.

eriqjaffe
10-19-2006, 08:44 AM

Remember that Rob Macowiack is an Oak Lawn guy. Did that do us any good?Combine Granderson's glove with Mackowiak's bat, and you'd have some sort of uber-South Sider.

Madvora
10-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Combine Granderson's glove with Mackowiak's bat, and you'd have some sort of uber-South Sider.
I keep hearing conflicting opinions about his defense out there. I never really noticed. What's the deal is he a good or bad defender?

The Wall
10-19-2006, 08:57 AM

And not only a local kid, he went to a local public university. UIC. Not many athletes do that in Chicago anymore.

eriqjaffe
10-19-2006, 09:11 AM
I keep hearing conflicting opinions about his defense out there. I never really noticed. What's the deal is he a good or bad defender?I honestly don't know, but he can't be any worse out there than Mackowiak.

Oblong
10-19-2006, 09:14 AM
I keep hearing conflicting opinions about his defense out there. I never really noticed. What's the deal is he a good or bad defender?

I'd say he's a good OFer defensively. Only made one error all year. Covers a lot of ground. Comerica Park is 370 in the LF alley and 420 in center, and RF Alley snakes out quite a bit by the scoreobard.

You can argue whether he's excellent, great, good, etc. But he's definately above average in my opinion. I've never seen him not get to a ball that I'd expect a good CF to get to.

Chez
10-19-2006, 12:42 PM
I heard Singleton interview him on a pre-game show and he was very articulate and came off as intelligent and level-headed. I'm rooting for him to do well in the World Series.

nysox35
10-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Nice article. I've always liked Granderson ever since they called him up.
I remember when he beat the Sox w/ a HR in '05 how he said all his friends were giving him crap about it b/c they're all Sox fans.
Good to see a South Side guy doing well.

Scottiehaswheels
10-19-2006, 10:44 PM
I sat behind, I believe it was his mother and grandmother last year during his first MLB appearance... I didn't talk to them but you could tell anytime he stepped to the plate because the whole section erupted LOL it was pretty cool

Realist
10-19-2006, 11:13 PM
T.F. South love!