PDA

View Full Version : Gary Sheffield to the Sox?

Whitesox4ever
10-18-2006, 01:28 PM
According to the Bergen Record

"If the Yankees decline to pick up the $13 million option on Gary Sheffield's contract, one consequence is that the slugger easily could wind up in the Red Sox' lineup. With Manny Ramirez trade talks sure to intensify, Sheffield could slot behind David Ortiz if Boston deals Ramirez -- with the Angels, Mets, Phillies and White Sox as potential suitors."

Madvora
10-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Oh God

soltrain21
10-18-2006, 01:38 PM
sounds like the sox would be interested in manny in that article, not gary.

oeo
10-18-2006, 01:45 PM
sounds like the sox would be interested in manny in that article, not gary.

Yes, and I don't want either one of them. Manny is a great hitter, but we already have a DH...that's about all he's good for.

cheeses_h_rice
10-18-2006, 02:02 PM
http://shop1.mailordercentral.com/newlifechurch/images/DearGod.jpg

No.

Fuller_Schettman
10-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Yes, and I don't want either one of them. Manny is a great hitter, but we already have a DH...that's about all he's good for.

Not true. Manny can play a great short LF, as he does in Bahstin! :cool:

INSox56
10-18-2006, 02:04 PM
No.

SECONDED

palehozenychicty
10-18-2006, 03:30 PM
'Taint happenin. :rolleyes:

MeteorsSox4367
10-18-2006, 03:39 PM
I'd rather have Jacque Jones.

Manny & Sheffield = NO %$#@!& WAY!

LuvSox
10-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Has every MLB player now had a "To The Sox?" thread yet?

fquaye149
10-18-2006, 04:00 PM
I would love Manny. He wouldn't be much of a downgrade in LF defensively,

and in case some of you guys didn't notice among all the most-likely-racist Boston media scapegoat-mongering manny slandering (WHAT A SELFISH GUY! he won't play in the all-star game because he says he has an injury! A real team player would play in an exhibition game at the risk of injury because that helps his team a whole lot!!!!), he's one hell of a hitter. One of the best of the last 10 years.

oeo
10-18-2006, 04:06 PM

and in case some of you guys didn't notice among all the most-likely-racist Boston media scapegoat-mongering manny slandering (WHAT A SELFISH GUY! he won't play in the all-star game because he says he has an injury! A real team player would play in an exhibition game at the risk of injury because that helps his team a whole lot!!!!), he's one hell of a hitter. One of the best of the last 10 years.

I would say Pods is better. Manny doesn't have much going for him out there...he's fat and slow. There are a ton of balls he can't get to that Pods would be able to, even if he is prancing to them. The only reason he survives in Boston is because he plays in a little league outfield. He's a DH.

Flight #24
10-18-2006, 04:13 PM
I would say Pods is better. Manny doesn't have much going for him out there...he's fat and slow. There are a ton of balls he can't get to that Pods would be able to, even if he is prancing to them. The only reason he survives in Boston is because he plays in a little league outfield. He's a DH.

:rolleyes:

Manny would have to be in a wheelchair to be bad enough in LF to offset the gargantuan offensive improvement he represents over Pods. This is a hall of fame hitter, one of the top 5-10 hitters of the past 10-20 years, and generally a guy who doesn't miss games (before this year, and even then he missed them only once they were out of it).

Dan the Man
10-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Nuh thank you.

samram
10-18-2006, 04:27 PM

Agreed. Another HOFer that people seem to object to acquiring. What the hell?

oeo
10-18-2006, 04:38 PM
:rolleyes:

Manny would have to be in a wheelchair to be bad enough in LF to offset the gargantuan offensive improvement he represents over Pods. This is a hall of fame hitter, one of the top 5-10 hitters of the past 10-20 years, and generally a guy who doesn't miss games (before this year, and even then he missed them only once they were out of it).

Not really my point.

But, even still, this is a pitching staff that thrives off of good defense. Regardless of Manny, A-Rod, or whatever big name hitter comes here, they still need to pitch to win. How many times did Mackowiak's centerfield lose us? Manny would still be doing the same, regardless of his offensive numbers. In a close game, I want our current lineup and a good defense, not a lineup with Manny, while he's out there screwing things up. IF we were the Astros, and we needed his bat, that's a different story, but we don't.

Not only that, but the guy is a headcase.

You don't need to tell me that he's a great hitter, I already know that; I still don't want him on the Sox, and I don't think it's worth trying to get him on the Sox.

A-Rod brings more than just offense. He's a much better overall player than Manny is. I'm fine with that, he would be worth giving up a starter and Crede. Manny is not, he brings a bat. This isn't a power pitching staff, a good defense is a necessity to their success. If we needed a big bat, I'd be all for it, but we don't.

And also, we need a leadoff hitter. Kenny seems pretty set on keeping Uribe here, so our leadoff hitter is going to have to come from LF. Or can Manny lead off?

Some of you are getting kind of crazy here...you hear a HOF'er and you want him, even if he doesn't fill a hole. A-Rod fills a hole at SS, I can't say the same about Manny, unless we get someone like Eckstein or Rollins to lead off.

zach074
10-18-2006, 04:55 PM
please NO! we don't need that lazy guy in the outfield.

Sargeant79
10-18-2006, 04:59 PM
This isn't going to happen. I don't have a link or anything, but I think I recall Kenny Williams making a comment last winter (when Manny was supposedly on the market) that went something to the effect that he didn't "...think Manny was our type of player."

samram
10-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Not really my point.

But, even still, this is a pitching staff that thrives off of good defense. Regardless of Manny, A-Rod, or whatever big name hitter comes here, they still need to pitch to win. How many times did Mackowiak's centerfield lose us? Manny would still be doing the same, regardless of his offensive numbers. In a close game, I want our current lineup and a good defense, not a lineup with Manny, while he's out there screwing things up. IF we were the Astros, and we needed his bat, that's a different story, but we don't.

Not only that, but the guy is a headcase.

You don't need to tell me that he's a great hitter, I already know that; I still don't want him on the Sox, and I don't think it's worth trying to get him on the Sox.

A-Rod brings more than just offense. He's a much better overall player than Manny is. I'm fine with that, he would be worth giving up a starter and Crede. Manny is not, he brings a bat. This isn't a power pitching staff, a good defense is a necessity to their success. If we needed a big bat, I'd be all for it, but we don't.

And also, we need a leadoff hitter. Kenny seems pretty set on keeping Uribe here, so our leadoff hitter is going to have to come from LF. Or can Manny lead off?

Some of you are getting kind of crazy here...you hear a HOF'er and you want him, even if he doesn't fill a hole. A-Rod fills a hole at SS, I can't say the same about Manny, unless we get someone like Eckstein or Rollins to lead off.

I agree that acquiring him would likely necessitate the move of one of the current 3-5 hitters and would only make sense if you get a SS who can hit leadoff. I have no problem with that reasoning. However, most of the negative responses in this thread have to do with "laziness" and bad defense. Never mind that Pods is awful in LF. The laziness thing is in some part a notion perpetuated by a Boston media that can't stand the guy.

mjmcend
10-18-2006, 05:28 PM

Don't you read ESPN? We need more dirt eaters, not HOFers. HOFers are no good at baseball.

infohawk
10-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Acquiring Manny wouldn't be an awful move, but wouldn't be be an ideal one either. He would definitely make the offense even more potent then it is now, but the team wouldn't be any faster or upgraded defensively. As long as the Sox make sure they have improved the bullpen, Manny might be a good addition. If we upgrade an already good offense but don't address the bullpen, I would be very unhappy.

I guess the biggest argument for a guy like Manny would be if the Sox don't think Pods is the answer and don't believe they can land an impact lead-off hitter. Manny would at least turn a line-up deficiency (Pods poor numbers last year) into a strength. I think KW has his ideal plan in place, but like any GM will try and upgrade any way possible if plan A doesn't pan out.

All that said, I highly, highly doubt that Manny Ramirez will be playing for the White Sox next year.

fquaye149
10-18-2006, 06:08 PM

Yes Pods is probably a little better. But Manny actually has a pretty good arm. He usually is among the league leaders in OF assists. You can say what you want about why that is, but with Pods weak arm, he probably couldn't lead outfielders with assists if he played SS.

Huisj
10-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Yes Pods is probably a little better. But Manny actually has a pretty good arm. He usually is among the league leaders in OF assists. You can say what you want about why that is, but with Pods weak arm, he probably couldn't lead outfielders with assists if he played SS.

A lot of those assists are green monster assists.

fquaye149
10-18-2006, 07:11 PM
A lot of those assists are green monster assists.

God, I love multiquote. But I would love it even more if people actually read my posts.

chisoxmike
10-18-2006, 07:47 PM
According to the Bergen Record

"If the Yankees decline to pick up the $13 million option on Gary Sheffield's contract, one consequence is that the slugger easily could wind up in the Red Sox' lineup. With Manny Ramirez trade talks sure to intensify, Sheffield could slot behind David Ortiz if Boston deals Ramirez -- with the Angels, Mets, Phillies and White Sox as potential suitors."

You need to stop.

The last thing the Sox want/need is a ego maniac that is all bat and no field.

hi im skot
10-18-2006, 07:59 PM
. This is a hall of fame hitter

He's also a hall of fame douchebag.

I don't need a hot dog like that on my team...unless he can pitch.

ShoelessJoeS
10-18-2006, 08:06 PM
C'mon guys, Kenny is smarter than that.

hi im skot
10-18-2006, 08:30 PM
C'mon guys, Kenny is smarter than that.

:nod:

Grzegorz
10-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Of course KW is smarter than that...

The last thing the Chicago White Sox need is to get slower and weaker defensively. So to Manny and the piano on his back I say tell your story walkin'.

RKMeibalane
10-18-2006, 09:46 PM

He can't be any worse than Pods.

RKMeibalane
10-18-2006, 09:47 PM
You need to stop.

The last thing the Sox want/need is a ego maniac that is all bat and no field.

Why? Their manager and GM are both egomaniacs. :cool:

Nellie_Fox
10-18-2006, 11:28 PM
He can't be any worse than Pods.When was the last time Pods did a Jai Alai flip to the center fielder because he didn't want to try to throw the ball in? Manny's done it. Manny is a further move in the exact opposite direction from the one the Sox professed to be heading in: speed, defense, good attitude guys.

Huisj
10-21-2006, 12:46 AM
When was the last time Pods did a Jai Alai flip to the center fielder because he didn't want to try to throw the ball in? Manny's done it. Manny is a further move in the exact opposite direction from the one the Sox professed to be heading in: speed, defense, good attitude guys.

Better yet was when Ramirez leaped out of nowhere to cut off a throw that Damon made from center field a few years ago when he was only about 20 feet away from him. That was one of the most hilarious plays I've ever seen.

Huisj
10-21-2006, 12:50 AM
God, I love multiquote. But I would love it even more if people actually read my posts.

Hey, sorry I didn't quite catch what you were trying to say when I read what you wrote the first time. I guess I was just so flustered at trying to actually picture what Podsednik would look like playing, er, I mean prancing at short that I had to bring myself back to reality with a Mr. Obvious line.

jamokes
10-21-2006, 08:53 AM
I really do not want Gary Sheffield or Manny

White Sox Randy
10-22-2006, 10:13 AM
I really do not want Gary Sheffield or Manny

I can't see Ozzie managing either one of them - and I can't see KW trading for either one or defending either one when they, inevitably, act like themselves.

shoelessshaun27!
10-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Bring him here!

DumpJerry
10-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Bring him here!
Calm down. Sheffield's agent said the Yanks will pick up the option.

mjmcend
10-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Calm down. Sheffield's agent said the Yanks will pick up the option.

So they can trade him.

Lip Man 1
10-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Sheffield said a few days ago he will NOT play first base for the Yankees in the event they pick up his option. He also said he'd cause trouble if they did.

Lip

beckett21
10-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Sheffield said a few days ago he will NOT play first base for the Yankees in the event they pick up his option. He also said he'd cause trouble if they did.

Lip

What a team player.

Trav
10-27-2006, 05:11 PM
What a team player.

Are you shocked? I'm not. He has a history of demanding his way or else. Just ask the Brewers. How sad is baseball that he isn't the worst personality in the game today?

beckett21
10-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Are you shocked? I'm not. He has a history of demanding his way or else. Just ask the Brewers. How sad is baseball that he isn't the worst personality in the game today?

Not shocked at all. I know he's done it in the past as well.

One would think maybe he matured with age. Guess not.

soxwon
10-27-2006, 06:36 PM
3 years ago maybe, not now.
let the cubs get him.

Sox Fan 35
10-27-2006, 06:58 PM
He also said he'd cause trouble if they did.

So, why does any one want him on the Sox?

munchman33
10-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Let the Yankees keep him. In fact, let them play him in LF. And trade us Matsui.

A. Cavatica
10-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Chance of Sheffield playing for the (White) Sox in '07: 0%
Chance of Manny playing for the Sox in '07: 2%
Seeing NY and Boston squirm under the weight of those contracts: priceless

SOXSINCE'70
10-28-2006, 07:44 AM

You are correct.:yup: The worst personality in baseball just
declared himself a free agent yesterday.Hint: his initials are BB.:rolleyes:

soxinem1
10-28-2006, 07:54 AM
So, why does any one want him on the Sox?

I thought he would be a good pick up if the NYY didn't pick up his option (which I'm not sure why they did). But after this selfish outburst, and remembering some of the crap he pulled back when he was with MIL, well, I've changed my stance to:

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/images/2005/10/09/aVHsrKfM.jpg

'Screw 'em totally'