PDA

View Full Version : Wash, Rinse, Repeat

havelj
10-18-2006, 02:17 PM
"I didn't come here to talk about losing," Baylor says. "It's a challenge, no doubt. His philosophy is why he didn't hold general manager Ed Lynch's feet to the fire and demand that the Cubs follow his hire with a blockbuster move, such as a trade for Alex Rodriguez. "We're obviously competitive people," Lynch says. "We want to win as quickly as we can, without harming the long-term future of the club."
"I'm quite pleased with our farm system," MacPhail says. "It is much better than it was two or three years ago. I can't look you in the eye and say we're in the top five, but we're in the top half."
The Cubs' building plan starts with a return to health by Wood and the rapid development of Patterson, who was selected with the third pick overall in the '98 draft. The question isn't whether the dynamic Patterson will be an impact player, but when he will arrive.

"We feel very fortunate we got the right guy and it's sure worth waiting for," Hendry said. We thought we had a good list, we were pumped for that, but Dusty was the guy we thought we could wait for and it worked out."
"Jim clearly felt Dusty could bring to our organization the energy, the enthusiasm," said Cubs president Andy MacPhail. "He kept after him and kept after him until he got him."
"I'm not a miracle man, Baker said. "I don't know if it will take two or three years or whatever, but we're dedicated to winning. A number of players have indicated that they would like to come to Chicago and possibly play for me. They are dedicated to bringing in the best players."
"We're very thrilled to have him," MacPhail said. "His record speaks for itself. He's an enormously popular manager with his players. As result, the field of players that would like to play for the Cubs has increased with tonight's announcement by a large amount."
"I want to get rid of the stigma that the Cubs can't win and that they can't win playing daytime baseball," Baker said.

“There’s not a doubt in our mind, and not a doubt in my mind, that we got the right guy for the job,” said Cubs general manager Jim Hendry. "Our goal is to win. Lou Piniella is all about winning," Hendry said. "I think he's the right guy to take us to the promised land. That should be our goal. It's up to me to put a better product on the field and get enough players where he can mold them into a championship team."
"The day games at Wrigley should be an advantage," Piniella said. "But you need to rest your players and you need to have fresh troops out there."
Jim said, "He said, ‘We want you to come in here and win.’" “That’s exactly what I wanted to hear. At the same time, I said, ‘What is your commitment and your parent company’s commitment?’ He said, ‘We’re going to put the resources forward, and we want to get this going as quickly as possible.’

southside rocks
10-18-2006, 02:28 PM
That's downright creepy. :rolleyes:

Nice job with the summaries.

DumpJerry
10-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Well, what do you expect them to say? "I'm glad the pay is good because this teams smells worse than garbage dump after the tires are set on fire."

These statements were written by Tribune Company staffers.

Of course Jim Leyland takes the prize with his (paraphrasing) "I don't know much about your team or what will can ge done, but I'll try my best" statement one year ago this month when the Detroit Tigers hired him.

Baby Fisk
10-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Of course Jim Leyland takes the prize with his (paraphrasing) "I don't know much about your team or what will can ge done, but I'll try my best" statement one year ago this month when the Detroit Tigers hired him.

"This isn't my team, it's your team..." Leyland's press conference was refreshingly different.

DumpJerry
10-18-2006, 04:29 PM
"This isn't my team, it's your team..." Leyland's press conference was refreshingly different.
..........and resulted in a different outcome than how Pinella's career with the Cubs will end.

It was refeshing to hear a realistic assessment as opposed to "we're going to win this thing" you always hear. I mean, does anyone really think that a new coach/manager, etc. will turn things around that quickly? Oh wait.....we're White Sox fans and there was that whole Ozzie Guillen-is-our-manager-to-take-us-to-the-World-Series-in-two-years thing we went through in late 2003...............

Slightly off-topic here, but I had to laugh when they said Pinella wants A-Rod. Fine. Who will they trade for him???? They habe two players who the Yanks would be mildly interested in: D. Lee and Zambrano. The rest are total bums! The Cubs can't part with D. Lee or Zambrano because that would create a hole wider than the state of Texas. Sorry times on the North Side, sorry times...........

palehozenychicty
10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Slightly off-topic here, but I had to laugh when they said Pinella wants A-Rod. Fine. Who will they trade for him???? They habe two players who the Yanks would be mildly interested in: D. Lee and Zambrano. The rest are total bums! The Cubs can't part with D. Lee or Zambrano because that would create a hole wider than the state of Texas. Sorry times on the North Side, sorry times...........

To make it funnier, the Yankees and Cubs both have similar problems. Very little starting pitching and prospects.

Myrtle72
10-18-2006, 06:08 PM
"We're obviously competitive people," Lynch says.

Obviously.

RadioheadRocks
10-18-2006, 07:52 PM
"I didn't come here to talk about losing," Baylor says. "It's a challenge, no doubt. His philosophy is why he didn't hold general manager Ed Lynch's feet to the fire and demand that the Cubs follow his hire with a blockbuster move, such as a trade for Alex Rodriguez. "We're obviously competitive people," Lynch says. "We want to win as quickly as we can, without harming the long-term future of the club."
"I'm quite pleased with our farm system," MacPhail says. "It is much better than it was two or three years ago. I can't look you in the eye and say we're in the top five, but we're in the top half."
The Cubs' building plan starts with a return to health by Wood and the rapid development of Patterson, who was selected with the third pick overall in the '98 draft. The question isn't whether the dynamic Patterson will be an impact player, but when he will arrive.

"We feel very fortunate we got the right guy and it's sure worth waiting for," Hendry said. We thought we had a good list, we were pumped for that, but Dusty was the guy we thought we could wait for and it worked out."
"Jim clearly felt Dusty could bring to our organization the energy, the enthusiasm," said Cubs president Andy MacPhail. "He kept after him and kept after him until he got him."
"I'm not a miracle man, Baker said. "I don't know if it will take two or three years or whatever, but we're dedicated to winning. A number of players have indicated that they would like to come to Chicago and possibly play for me. They are dedicated to bringing in the best players."
"We're very thrilled to have him," MacPhail said. "His record speaks for itself. He's an enormously popular manager with his players. As result, the field of players that would like to play for the Cubs has increased with tonight's announcement by a large amount."
"I want to get rid of the stigma that the Cubs can't win and that they can't win playing daytime baseball," Baker said.

“There’s not a doubt in our mind, and not a doubt in my mind, that we got the right guy for the job,” said Cubs general manager Jim Hendry. "Our goal is to win. Lou Piniella is all about winning," Hendry said. "I think he's the right guy to take us to the promised land. That should be our goal. It's up to me to put a better product on the field and get enough players where he can mold them into a championship team."
"The day games at Wrigley should be an advantage," Piniella said. "But you need to rest your players and you need to have fresh troops out there."
Jim said, "He said, ‘We want you to come in here and win.’" “That’s exactly what I wanted to hear. At the same time, I said, ‘What is your commitment and your parent company’s commitment?’ He said, ‘We’re going to put the resources forward, and we want to get this going as quickly as possible.’

"I'll just DIE if I don't get this recipe! I'll just DIE if I don't get this recipe! I'll jjust DIE if I don't get this recipe! I'll just DIE if..." :D: