PDA

View Full Version : Great description of White Sox fanbase from Wikepedia

tony1972
10-18-2006, 11:13 AM
While the Cubs enjoy something of a sentimental national following and compete with the St. Louis Cardinals for a strong regional fan base throughout the Midwest, the fiercely loyal Chicago White Sox fan base is largely tied to the Chicago area, particularly on the South Side and south suburban metropolitan area. There is a close identification of these communities to the team. In this sense the White Sox represent what may be the last of the great local baseball institutions, in the way that the Brooklyn Dodgers were once a central institution of the Brooklyn community.

Although there ARE sox fans throughout the country..this is a great description of most of us who are Sox fans. Teams such as the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels,etc. are somewhat identified with their local community but are also known for their regional and national followings. The White Sox are truly one of the last sports franchises where 90 % of their fans probably fall within a 50 mile radius. Even on national broadcasts, the White Sox are mention as the Southsiders, southside, etc. I think this is what makes being a Sox fan sort of special and unique..that we do strongly identify with the communities and areas we grew up in..that the team does represent our neighborhoods, our communities and our homes..something we take pride in being in. Look at the Southside Irish parade, you always see Southside hitmen, etc. How often do you see Northdies Sluggers, or Orange County bombers?

Does anyone know what I mean?

nasox
10-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Nice.

Did you write that?

batmanZoSo
10-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Absolutely. Nothing untrue about that.

tony1972
10-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Actually I looked up Chicago White Sox on Wikepedia and copied and pasted that to the thread..

There are a lot of interesting facts about the White Sox that even I did not know about...

It is Wikepedia.com..then type in 'Chicago White Sox'...

tony1972
10-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Sorry

Wikipedia.com not Wikepdia.com

I want Mags back
10-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Actually I looked up Chicago White Sox on Wikepedia and copied and pasted that to the thread..

There are a lot of interesting facts about the White Sox that even I did not know about...

It is Wikepedia.com..then type in 'Chicago White Sox'...

wow, that must have been added in the last 2-3 days or so, because i didnt see that there when i last checked.

nasox
10-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Absolutely. Nothing untrue about that.

Remember when we modded the churros entry on wikipedia and made it better?

kevingrt
10-18-2006, 11:24 AM
I'd agree with that sentiment. I would even say that most White Sox fans that reside outside the Chicago area were born and grew up within a 50 mile or so radius of Comiskey.

24thStFan
10-18-2006, 11:34 AM
I'd agree with that sentiment. I would even say that most White Sox fans that reside outside the Chicago area were born and grew up within a 50 mile or so radius of Comiskey.

I resemble that remark--grew up on 24th Street between Western and Oakley Avenues. Now I live in Tallahassee, FL and root for the Sox.

cubhater
10-18-2006, 11:40 AM
I resemble that remark--grew up on 24th Street between Western and Oakley Avenues. Now I live in Tallahassee, FL and root for the Sox.

And I was the only Sox fan in Gainesville when I went to school near UF back in the 80s.

CaptainBallz
10-18-2006, 11:42 AM
I don't trust people that are fans of teams and have no real regional/historical reason to be. I understand people that move to different areas or grew up with family that had certain affiliations, but you know those people that latch onto some team during some good period in the franchise and won't let it go.
I don't even want people like that rooting for the Sox. It's just not right.

Huisj
10-18-2006, 11:43 AM
I would have to agree with that too. The fans that are from far away usually have some kind of connection to the area. Me? My dad grew up a Sox fan in South Holland, and he passed it on to me even though I grew up here.

White Sox Randy
10-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Wikipedia is a great site and I use it often for many things !

Interestingly, I have only lived in the North suburbs my whole life - 44 years and I have always been a Sox fan. And, my family was not interested in sports.

I have to admit that I was a fan of both teams from 1969- 1978 , ages 7-16. Then, I became exclusively a White Sox fan.

GO WHITE SOX !

michned
10-18-2006, 12:07 PM
I don't trust people that are fans of teams and have no real regional/historical reason to be. I understand people that move to different areas or grew up with family that had certain affiliations, but you know those people that latch onto some team during some good period in the franchise and won't let it go.

That is an interesting observation and deserves a thread of its own. We've all run into people like that. I had an old neighbor down here: terrific guy from Los Angeles, thoughtful, former Marine, UCLA grad. Who was his baseball team? Dodgers? Nope, "my Yankees." Football? Rams? Raiders? Nope, "my Vikings."

I just couldn't figure it out, but maybe some people just don't feel an emotional attachment to sports teams, and it's all about the colors or the players or whatever.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Remember when we modded the churros entry on wikipedia and made it better?

No. I don't care for churros. :(:

Max Power
10-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Interestingly, I have only lived in the North suburbs my whole life - 44 years and I have always been a Sox fan. And, my family was not interested in sports.

I have to admit that I was a fan of both teams from 1969- 1978 , ages 7-16. Then, I became exclusively a White Sox fan.

That pretty much describes me too, except I'm a little younger. :smile:
I've lived in Evanston more or less my whole life, but I've always been a Sox fan (and when I was younger a Cub fan too). My parents are very casual sports fans, so I never got any "guidance" from them on who to cheer for. I made a good choice on my own. :D:

nasox
10-18-2006, 12:23 PM
No. I don't care for churros. :(:

Might have been baseDow. let me see if I can find it.

samram
10-18-2006, 12:26 PM
That is an interesting observation and deserves a thread of its own. We've all run into people like that. I had an old neighbor down here: terrific guy from Los Angeles, thoughtful, former Marine, UCLA grad. Who was his baseball team? Dodgers? Nope, "my Yankees." Football? Rams? Raiders? Nope, "my Vikings."

I just couldn't figure it out, but maybe some people just don't feel an emotional attachment to sports teams, and it's all about the colors or the players or whatever.

Yeah, one buddy of mine who grew up in Charlotte (a rare enough breed) is a Mets, Dolphins, NY Rangers, and Bulls fan. What the hell is that? He also hates the Bobcats and Panthers.

nebraskasox
10-18-2006, 12:27 PM

Count me in this group too. Born & raised in South Shore. I've met many White Sox fans in Oklahoma and Arkansas and they were all originally from the south side. It seems thare are a lot of people spread around the country who were originally from the south side. Even here in Nebraska, the head football coach of the Huskers, Bill Callahan, is a former S. sider. Last October the Omaha papers ran an article about his support for the Sox where he was quoted as saying "it's our year."

nasox
10-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Might have been baseDow. let me see if I can find it.

Got it: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66496&highlight=wikipedia

It was South Side Irish, not zoso. And Yoda started the thread. (And MarySwiss got pissed at me in the end. :redface: )

Huisj
10-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah, one buddy of mine who grew up in Charlotte (a rare enough breed) is a Mets, Dolphins, NY Rangers, and Bulls fan. What the hell is that? He also hates the Bobcats and Panthers.

A buddy of mine who's lived here all his life is a huge Jacksonville Jaguars fan. Why? Because when he was little and they were a new expansion team, he decided to be them on a Super Nintendo football game for a season, and he won the championship. No joke. Somehow that season turned in to him becoming a super fan and gradually learning just about everything about the organization that anyone could ever care to know. It's one of the strangest fan obsessions I've ever seen.

CaptainBallz
10-18-2006, 12:44 PM
A buddy of mine who's lived here all his life is a huge Jacksonville Jaguars fan. Why? Because when he was little and they were a new expansion team, he decided to be them on a Super Nintendo football game for a season, and he won the championship. No joke. Somehow that season turned in to him becoming a super fan and gradually learning just about everything about the organization that anyone could ever care to know. It's one of the strangest fan obsessions I've ever seen.

That's hilarious. I would think it would get pretty obnoxious for some of these people to be surrounded by all this hooplah for teams they couldn't care less about and to be so completely removed from social interactions with actual fans of their teams.

MarySwiss
10-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Born in Bridgeport, and I'd say you're probably right about that.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2006, 01:41 PM

I'm a 49er fan since I was 9 based on the uniforms. Plus they were in the super bowl that year. I guess that's not as crazy as the video game thing.

INSox56
10-18-2006, 01:47 PM

I agree with that. I lived and was born in San Diego (rest of the fam is from NW IN, so we moved back here when I was 6), so I like to watch/root for the chargers and padres, but never as much as I do the Bears and Sox.

Luis11
10-18-2006, 02:23 PM
I've always said that More Native Chicagoans are White Sox Fans than Cub fans. The Cubs have a national following, but many people who currently live in the Chicago area, who were born and raised here are White Sox fans.
How many people that live in Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville grew-up in Chicago?
That area attracts young professionals who come to work in Chicago but grew-up or went to college in other cities.
On the flip side, many people from the South Side and South Suburbs grew-up there.:smile:

samram
10-18-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm a 49er fan since I was 9 based on the uniforms. Plus they were in the super bowl that year. I guess that's not as crazy as the video game thing.

Yeah, but you seem to be a Bears' fan first (maybe I'm mistaken) - I've always liked the Niners because I thought they were innovative offensivley, but they're definitely my second team.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Yeah, but you seem to be a Bears' fan first (maybe I'm mistaken) - I've always liked the Niners because I thought they were innovative offensivley, but they're definitely my second team.

This is true. It's pretty equal, only when the two play, all is forgotten and it's Bears (the exception being '94 in the divisional playoff, because let's face it only one team was going anywhere).

kevingrt
10-18-2006, 02:50 PM

That is an interesting point and one I agree with to some extent. However what do you mean by historical reason. For example I am a huge Maryland Terrapins fan. Fan of football and basketball but I do follow their amazing soccer and lacrosse programs too. I became a huge fan because I think like 3rd grade I was the Terrapins in park district basketball and loved them ever since. Now does that count as a historical reason? And the other funny team allegiance I have is the Buffalo Bills in football. My dad grew up on fantasy football in the early 1990's. And he would always root for Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed, so I became a Bills fan, does that count as historical reason? Just some questions to throw out there.

BTW- I was born in 1987, meaning I'm 19. And no I didn't go to Maryland even though I was accepted b/c there is this thing called $$$$, and neither me or my parents had enough to send me there. And loans are for losers, especially college loans.

DSpivack
10-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Both of my parents grew up in Rogers Park in the 50s, and they went to Sox and Cubs games equally. My family is generally Cubs fans, but neither of my parents ever really were diehard Cub fans, though my dad was a huge sports fan.

That said, I grew up in Evanston and became a diehard Sox fan.

Mohoney
10-18-2006, 03:19 PM

If he was a kid in the '70s, I can kind of understand this.

CaptainBallz
10-18-2006, 03:20 PM
That is an interesting point and one I agree with to some extent. However what do you mean by historical reason. For example I am a huge Maryland Terrapins fan. Fan of football and basketball but I do follow their amazing soccer and lacrosse programs too. I became a huge fan because I think like 3rd grade I was the Terrapins in park district basketball and loved them ever since. Now does that count as a historical reason?

I'd put that in the same category with the video game fan and childhood fans of the uniforms. I was considering a historical reason to be something like you liveing in a certain area for some time or you were influenced by somebody (family, friends) that had that allegience based on whatever reasons.

And the other funny team allegiance I have is the Buffalo Bills in football. My dad grew up on fantasy football in the early 1990's. And he would always root for Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed, so I became a Bills fan, does that count as historical reason? Just some questions to throw out there.

That's more what I mean by historical. You were influenced by your dad to follow those players/that team because there was some vested interest there. Granted the interest was more for individuals than the team, but I can see where that might lead you to have an affiliation.

I would just find it bizarre to actually run into somebody from New Mexico or wherever that was a huge White Sox fan because of some completely unrelated reason. Not that any of those things make one more or less of a fan, it's just interesting.

PKalltheway
10-18-2006, 03:42 PM
I have never lived in Chicago in any point of my life, but relatives on my dad's side of my family live in Chicago, and the majority of them are Sox fans. My dad is a Cub fan, but I became a on-off Sox fan in the mid '90's because Frank Thomas was one of my favorite players and I would always watch the Sox on WGN. I kinda drifted from the Sox around 1997-1998 (I was actually a Cub fan then:o: ). With the emergence of Magglio Ordonez in 1999, I latched back onto the Sox because he became one of my favorite players, and I haven't let go since, nor will I ever!:D: Living in Cincinnati, I have grown on the Reds since I started following baseball regularly when I was about 10.

MeteorsSox4367
10-18-2006, 04:30 PM
My grandfather was a Sox fan who passed that on to his son, who then passed it on to his son. I've lived on the South Side my whole life and I guess rooting for the Sox was both genetic and environmental. Live on the South Side, love the Sox. Simple enough.

As for rooting for other cities' teams, I've always been a huge fan of the teams from Pittsburgh. Maybe it's because the Steelers were kickin' ass in the 70s when I was a kid. Maybe because the Pens were the first team I saw the Hawks play at the Stadium. Maybe it's because the two times I was in Pittsburgh, I just thought about how much my working-class South Side 'hood (Brighton Park) would have fit in well in Pittsburgh.

Maybe even one of the reasons why my distaste for the Cubs has grown stronger over the years is because of the reputation of most of their fans as those who attend games strictly for the beer and not to watch the game itself.

I'm from the South Side, I'm a baseball geek, I'm a diehard Sox fan. Amen.

PennStater98r
10-18-2006, 04:53 PM
BTW- I was born in 1987, meaning I'm 19. And no I didn't go to Maryland even though I was accepted b/c there is this thing called $$$$, and neither me or my parents had enough to send me there. And loans are for losers, especially college loans.

I don't know why I am making a point of starting an argument with a nineteen year old, but I am.

This statement is spoken like a nineteen year old with "book-smarts" but not life's experience "smarts."

You were intelligent enough to be accepted to Maryland. Bravo! You were smart enough to not go. Bravo...

Incidentally, loans for $50,000 cars when you can not afford one is for a loser. Loans for a $300,000+ house when you can not afford it is for losers. Loans for a quality education is not for a loser. My loans for Penn State have provided me a better life than if I had settled for my IVCC education coupled with an ISU (nothing against ISU) education. I paid more for Penn State with my loans, and I was offered a lot more in salary out of college than my brother who graduated at roughly the same time - from ISU (we were hired by the same company in the same year as one another working for the same department - his degree in accounting - and mine in liberal arts).

In addition, the experiences in diversity that I learned while there was well worth every penny that I spent...

MarySwiss
10-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Got it: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66496&highlight=wikipedia

It was South Side Irish, not zoso. And Yoda started the thread. (And MarySwiss got pissed at me in the end. :redface: )

Thanks for the link. It made it easier to refresh my memory. And now that I have....:redneck

I did not get "pissed" at you. I got annoyed at you for lecturing me about my knowledge--or lack thereof--of reference sources after I pointed out for those who may not have known it that Wikipedia is not considered a reliable reference source by most who depend on reliability in such matters because it is open for editing. That's still true.

My original quote: "Be aware of the fact that Wikipedia is open for editing by anyone. Which keeps it from being an authoritative reference source."

chisoxmike
10-18-2006, 08:47 PM
There are also some good ones on urban dictionary.:D:

Frater Perdurabo
10-18-2006, 08:59 PM
I was born in Wheaton and lived there until age 3, then lived in Springfield until age 7 (where I rooted for the Cardinals in 1982), but spent most of my formative years in the southwest burbs of Tinley Park (1983-84) and Mokena (1984-1999). I moved to Tinley during the 1983 pennant chase, which solidified me as a Sox fan for good. So the description fits me well.

Bucky F. Dent
10-18-2006, 09:37 PM

That'd be me, born and raised in da' region.

1951Campbell
10-18-2006, 10:18 PM

Since the thread is turning into a demographic survey of sorts...

My dad was born in 1944, grew up at Milwaukee & Armitage and then Palatine, and was always a Sox fan.

Which explains my sig. :D:

batmanZoSo
10-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Born and raised in the south suburbs, also lived in "da region" for two years, now in the city.

Chips
10-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Born and raised in Queen of the Universe, living in the Old St. Mary's right now.

samram
10-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Born at Christ Hospital, raised in Lockport and Palos Park.

FielderJones
10-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Born at Chicago Lying-in Hospital, raised in West Lawn and Elmhurst. Both parents from Back of the Yards.

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Born and raised in northern Wisconsin.

http://schueppert.net/family/schuepperts/hodag.jpg

I have no historical connection to this team whatsoever.

aprild
10-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Now seem like a good time to introduce myself. I am a third gen Sox fan - grew up in Sycamore but my dad brought me in to the games every weekend the Sox were home from the late fifties until I moved from the area. My grandfather was a Sox fan, grandmother a Cubs fan so we all agreed to disagree. Love the Sox - always will - and this board has kept me sane for well over a year. Thank you all!

CaptainBallz
10-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Born and raised in northern Wisconsin.

I have no historical connection to this team whatsoever.

So, what's the story...Did you find the Sox or did the Sox find you??

Personally, Born at Little Co. of Mary in '77 right after family moved from Alsip. Lived in Orland Park until '87. Then Frankfort/Mokena...now in the 7th wonder of the post-industrial world...Lansing. I keep it deep south...

itsnotrequired
10-19-2006, 09:50 AM
So, what's the story...Did you find the Sox or did the Sox find you??

Moved here in 2001 for work. I flirted with the Cubs briefly but after going to a Sox game in early 2003, that affair ended quickly. The rest, as they say, is history...

My high school girlfriend's family was from Chicago and were big Sox fans. I watched quite a few games at their place but not enough to really turn me into a fan back in 1996. Then we broke up so it was a strict Brewers diet for me. I still follow the Brewers but the Sox have taken over.

MarySwiss
10-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Now seem like a good time to introduce myself. I am a third gen Sox fan - grew up in Sycamore but my dad brought me in to the games every weekend the Sox were home from the late fifties until I moved from the area. My grandfather was a Sox fan, grandmother a Cubs fan so we all agreed to disagree. Love the Sox - always will - and this board has kept me sane for well over a year. Thank you all!

:welcome:

tebman
10-19-2006, 10:55 AM

:welcome:

My (adult) kids are now third-generation Sox fans. If you've been reading the board for over a year, then you know that you're among friends here.

Post often -- we're a chatty bunch. :D:

nasox
10-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the link. It made it easier to refresh my memory. And now that I have....:redneck

I did not get "pissed" at you. I got annoyed at you for lecturing me about my knowledge--or lack thereof--of reference sources after I pointed out for those who may not have known it that Wikipedia is not considered a reliable reference source by most who depend on reliability in such matters because it is open for editing. That's still true.

My original quote: "Be aware of the fact that Wikipedia is open for editing by anyone. Which keeps it from being an authoritative reference source."

Yes, you were annoyed. My comment wasn't directed specifically. Wikipedia is not reliable. It's true. But it can be a good source for information in certain situations, for example, who was the lead singer for the Who, not that I'd need to look that up. It is not, however a good source to see the Who's impact on bands in that time.

It's about use. Good for certain things, but not good for others.

And I wasn't lecturing you specifically.

Hangar18
10-19-2006, 12:23 PM
That is an EXCELLENT description of the fanbase, especially using the word "fiercely" to describe us. Anyone visiting from another city or country interacting with a SOX fan will see the description to be correct. Nice Job Wikipedia, looks well researched.

TribCronie1: Sir, did you see this Wikipedia Sox description sir?
McDonough: (lying on couch) What ??
Hendry: Let me see that ****** thing you little **** ******
McDonough: (puts martini down) what does it say?
Hendry: Can you believe this ****?? Dont We own those ***** *******'s? Who do they think they are?
McDonough: Call an emergency board meeting. We have to buy Wikipedia ASAP

nsolo
10-19-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm a third generation Sox fan, from mostly on my Mother's maternal side. Tracing both my Mom and Dad's family, we all have been Michiganders forever. Not sure why my Mom's maternal grandfather began rooting for the White Sox in Tigers country, but thats how I came to be a south side fan.

Sports wise, the White Sox are the only common thread that runs between us. In all other sports, we root for a variety of college and professional teams.
While I prefer the Bears, most others are Lions fans. Go Blue Michigan for one half, Go Irish for the remaining.

I did manage to get my grandson to be a Sox fan. He lives in South Bend where all his buddies are Flub fans. Thank God I saved him from the dark side. The only part where I failed is that he loves Notre Dame, while the winged helmets of Michigan will always be my choice.

Go Sox! Go Blue!

nsolo

Mr.1Dog
10-19-2006, 02:02 PM
I am a 4th generation Sox fan. My great grandfather moved to the south side when he came over from Europe. He was actually alive for the Black Sox and the world series and spoke often about it:o: . My grandfather moved the family to Skokie and had my dad but always remained a Sox fan. I was born in 1982, and raised in Northbrook and went to Sox games, with the 4 generations at one point at Old Comiskey. Truly a great experience. My mom grew up in Evanston and was a Cubs fan. She loves the team but mostly the food. My kids will be Sox fans, and their kids and so on.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Wikipedia never lies.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50902

Iwritecode
10-19-2006, 03:49 PM
And loans are for losers, especially college loans.

I had to get a loan to go to community college.

Then I had to get a loan to pay for the car that took me to the job I got before I even graduated. That job has been helping me pay the loan on the house I bought when I was just 3 years older than you are now.

I must be a loser... :(:

batmanZoSo
10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes, you were annoyed. My comment wasn't directed specifically. Wikipedia is not reliable. It's true. But it can be a good source for information in certain situations, for example, who was the lead singer for the Who, not that I'd need to look that up. It is not, however a good source to see the Who's impact on bands in that time.

It's about use. Good for certain things, but not good for others.

And I wasn't lecturing you specifically.

For a quick reference on a MB, wikipedia's great.

eurotrash35
10-19-2006, 04:43 PM
I was born and raised in Davenport, IA. Pops and Gramps are from the area though, so hopefully I can be part of the cool group. :tongue:

nysox35
10-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Born and raised on the SW Side of the City in Mt. Greenwood. My Dad grew up a Yankees fan, and my Mom was a Sox fan, but she didn't really get into it until I got older.

We'd generally go to 2 games a year. My Dad would spring for 1 and my sis and I would usually get free tickets for being on the Honor Roll (This was back in Old Comiskey in the late 80's).

I went to college in NJ and now am in law school in NYC, but I've never lost my Sox nuttiness.:D:

tick53
10-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Nice Tony, but your'e still using my sig.

Blackheart
10-20-2006, 03:27 AM
Ya know, i'm kind of offended. I grew up in central ill. around cub and card fans my whole life, but i chose the sox as my team( i'm in my 40's now!) but according to some of you i'm not a true fan because i did'nt grow up close to sox park! what gives?

BNLSox
10-20-2006, 03:42 PM
I grew up on the northside but my father was from the southwest side. Anyway when people ask me why I'm not a cubs fan I always respond:

"Besides the obvious reasons? When you turn 11 in chicago someone sits you down and says do you like beer or baseball. If you say baseball you're a sox fan."

just thought id share

CaptainBallz
10-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Ya know, i'm kind of offended. I grew up in central ill. around cub and card fans my whole life, but i chose the sox as my team( i'm in my 40's now!) but according to some of you i'm not a true fan because i did'nt grow up close to sox park! what gives?

I don't think that's what anyone's saying. I was merely bringing up the anomoly of the "random fan" that we've all encountered in our lives. Growing up in Central Illinois by no means removes you from the pool of fans that can rightfully claim the Southsiders as their own...

Now little Timmy from Maine that had a lucky pair of "white socks" when he was 4 is a different story...:redneck *

*actually I'm in no position to judge "fan-itude". No offense to Timmy...

Myrtle72
10-20-2006, 04:22 PM

On the contrary, you could argue that you are more of a fan because you were deviant from the norm growing up. It's easy for someone growing up around Sox fans to become a Sox fan. :smile:

Oldschoolsoxguy
10-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Born on West Side but moved to Northwest suburbs when i was a toddler.Became a Sox fan when i was 7 cuz my grandma told me that i would be considered a sissy and get my ass kicked regularly(not by her) if i started liking the cubs.She was from Back Of The Yards area and was always pissd off that her husband (North Sider) was able to brainwash my dad into being a cub fan.So to this day i carry an intense dislike of anything blue.I had to move out here (Southern Cali) 20 years ago for work reasons but i made sure my kids would follow in my footsteps.So we see all of the games in Anaheim when the Sox come through and have done a couple of trips to Tucson for spring training.We get back to Chicago every other year to see family and i make sure that we get to the ballpark at least once.I loved the Old Comiskey and miss it.Yeah the place smelled like piss and stale beer and it wasn't pretty at all but it was ours.You went there to watch a baseball game and that was it.I remember in my early years when the Stockyards were still open,those hot summer days when the wind would blow through and bring that god-awful stench with it...jeezus h that was brutal.But like Harry always said,"ya can't beat fun at the old ballpark".

tdh11
10-23-2006, 05:57 PM
When I read CaptainBallz orginal post I wanted to respond as so many of the others have.

I grew up in Idaho so I always felt free to choose whatever team I wanted to, plus I loved cheering against the majority.
I chose the Sox in grade school and have backed them ever since. dispite the fact that they weren't very good and I had never seen them play. I would still keep up on them as best I could.

Since then my sister moved to Indiana and I have had the pleasure to go to a few Sox games. And I must admit that I feel at home on the southside

I don' t think growing up outside of Chicago makes me any less of a Sox fan, it just makes me a lonely one

PennStater98r
10-23-2006, 06:35 PM
2nd generation Sox fan raising a 3rd generation Sox fan (two years old).

Born in Ottawa, IL - raised - moved to PA to go to school (on loans - how stupid) and back to Bloomington, IL.

Hey I. W. Code - I am glad to see I was not the only one that was ticked at the loans are for losers statement.

chisoxfanatic
10-23-2006, 08:01 PM

My boyfriend is a Blackhawks and Red Sox fan from Toronto, and he absolutely HATES the Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, and Raptors. The thing that got him hooked on the Red Sox was Roger Clemens, while the thing that got him hooked on the Blackhawks was the goal horn (I kid you not, he heard it once and constantly wanted the guys in Indianhead sweaters to score so he could hear it again--he was 5 or 6 at the time)--God bless the horn!

It always intrigues me to hear the stories of why people root for non-regional teams, since I have no attachment to any team from outside Chicago.

Gregory Pratt
10-23-2006, 10:39 PM
On the contrary, you could argue that you are more of a fan because you were deviant from the norm growing up. It's easy for someone growing up around Sox fans to become a Sox fan. :smile:

When I read CaptainBallz orginal post I wanted to respond as so many of the others have.

I grew up in Idaho so I always felt free to choose whatever team I wanted to, plus I loved cheering against the majority.
I chose the Sox in grade school and have backed them ever since. dispite the fact that they weren't very good and I had never seen them play. I would still keep up on them as best I could.

Since then my sister moved to Indiana and I have had the pleasure to go to a few Sox games. And I must admit that I feel at home on the southside

I don' t think growing up outside of Chicago makes me any less of a Sox fan, it just makes me a lonely one

:gulp:

Beer Can Chicken
10-23-2006, 10:54 PM
I grew up in Beverly. My parents were both SOX fans and they took me to games. My little league coaches took us to SOX games. My friend's parents took us to SOX games. I only knew one Cub fan (he got living hell every day in grammar school) before getting to high school. I never had a choice of which team to like. :smile:

I fled the Southside during college when I moved north for more bars and women.

TheKittle
10-24-2006, 02:29 AM
I take things written in Wikepedia with a huge grain of salt. They say the Angels have a national or regional fan base? Are they ****ing stupid?? Go to the San Fernando Valley and it's rare to see anybody wearing Angels stuff. Hell even South Orange County has their share of Padres fans.

As for that dumb comment about not trusting fans who have "no real regional/historical reason" I thought I read it all. Who the hell are you to judge other fans? There isn't some test to prove you're more a fan than the next guy. I know some 15 year old kid who is such a die hard fan, but his memory goes back to Mags and Frank. Is he any less of a fan than somebody who saw Pierce or Fox or Fisk or The Bull? Give me a ****ing break.

palehozenychicty
10-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Born in Ohio, grew up in South Bend. Me and my pops went to my first Sox game in July 1990 against the Tigers. After undergrad, I moved out East first to DC, then New York. Old Comiskey was just a comforting stadium. Since then, I've been locked in as a Sox fan.

CaptainBallz
10-24-2006, 10:25 AM
As for that dumb comment about not trusting fans who have "no real regional/historical reason" I thought I read it all. Who the hell are you to judge other fans? ... Give me a ****ing break.

Please read my post above...

My first post may sound pretty judgemental, but really it's more of a "isn't it strange..." comment. I'm no authority on the issue.

Everybody has their reasons and I've enjoyed hearing them.

So what was it that helped you choose the Sox? (A very fine choice, btw)

Tragg
10-30-2006, 07:07 AM
I was born at the U of Chicago Medical Center, and lived in Chicago a grand total of 6 months.
Nevertheless, I believe that per official US citizenship rules, native-borns are citizens (even though my parents were just there for a few years) and thus I am a true fan.:cool:
LOL

sox84
10-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Like you, I'm from Central Illinois, and my first read of this thread, I felt the same way. Apparently this wasnt their intent, but it sure sounded that way. I also think the Sox organization 'cedes' this area to the Scrubs and Cards too easily - at least they have in the past with minimal publicity and marketing aimed this direction..

MiamiSpartan
10-31-2006, 09:46 AM
Very accurate. I have a lot of friends here who were raised in Brooklyn, and they agree. I was just up there this past week, and it sure was good to see all the White Sox shirts and hats being worn, and all the bumper stickers on cars. Saw a lot more than I was used to seeing on previous trips.

MiamiSpartan
10-31-2006, 09:48 AM

You get offended easily. No one is saying you are not a true fan. I grew up in Wheaton, but I was surrounded by scrub fans. Don't take offense so quickly.

Scottzilla
11-01-2006, 04:13 AM
I wonder if Jerry takes pride in this. He grew up a dodger fan I believe.
I would wager that every single wikipedia entry for every single sports club states the fans are fierce or loyal or something of the like.

Anyway I was born in Swedish Covenant Hospital and grew up in North Park neighborhood. My mom used to be a big sports fan and WAS a cubs fan. She said she stopped following them after they let mark grace go, though she referred to him as 'whats his name'. My dad was kind of a yankees fan, he grew up in WV.

I became a Sox fan because my first game was at old comiskey, it was a september game in 89 I think and was totally meaningless but I was hooked.

you can make an argument that a fan is only a real fan if they grew up in the area, but you can also say that someone who is a fan had to put up with a lot of grief for not rooting for the home team.

also, you can knock the guys for picking a team cuz of uni colors, but you have to realize the sox probably get more fans of the unis than most teams.