PDA

View Full Version : Least Surprising News Ever

spiffie
10-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Mark Prior may not be ready for Spring Training 2007. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-061017cubsprior,1,862568.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines)

No, that's not an Onion headline. According to the Trib there's "looseness" in his shoulder joints. The money quote from the article:

So will Prior be ready for spring training?

"That's to be determined," said O'Neal, who also got a two-year contract extension Tuesday.

It's gotten so bad that some Cub fans are beginning to call for Prior to be non-tendered just so they can stop having to deal with this year after year. Just amazing that this keeps happening.

Iwritecode
10-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Mark Prior may not be ready for Spring Training 2007. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-061017cubsprior,1,862568.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines)

No, that's not an Onion headline. According to the Trib there's "looseness" in his shoulder joints. The money quote from the article:

It's gotten so bad that some Cub fans are beginning to call for Prior to be non-tendered just so they can stop having to deal with this year after year. Just amazing that this keeps happening.

In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet...

Can we vote for Prior as the most over-hyped, under-achieving player ever?

Mr.1Dog
10-18-2006, 11:17 AM

Amen

WizardsofOzzie
10-18-2006, 11:45 AM

AHEM......http://www.homeruncards.com/imagesrc/kerry-wood-bow.jpg

Iwritecode
10-18-2006, 11:55 AM
AHEM......http://www.homeruncards.com/imagesrc/kerry-wood-bow.jpg

He comes in second. They at least got a year or two more out of him than they have Prior so far.

spiffie
10-18-2006, 12:01 PM
He comes in second. They at least got a year or two more out of him than they have Prior so far.
True, but Prior's best year blows Wood's best year out of the water.

Prior 2003 - 18-6, 2.43 ERA, 175 ERA+, 245 K, 1.10 WHIP, 211.3 IP
Wood 2003 - 14-11, 3.20 ERA, 133 ERA+, 266 K, 1.19 WHIP, 211 IP

Of course, all that did was get them in position to do the choke immortalized in the banner at the top of this page.

WizardsofOzzie
10-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Maybe, but i think the Wood hype blew the Prior hype out of the water. After Wood's 20K game, the Cubs started buying WS tickets

OEO Magglio
10-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Well Prior is the most hyped up pitcher ever out of college(at least in my life time) so I think he might take the cake. Though I still believe he would have been great if he didnt get all messed up. Too bad so sad.

Iwritecode
10-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Maybe, but i think the Wood hype blew the Prior hype out of the water. After Wood's 20K game, the Cubs started buying WS tickets

Yea but how much hype did he get before that 20K game?

They've been talking about Prior being the greatest thing since sliced bread since the day they drafted him.

WizardsofOzzie
10-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Yea but how much hype did he get before that 20K game?

They've been talking about Prior being the greatest thing since sliced bread since the day they drafted him.
Ok, you got me there :smile:

oeo
10-18-2006, 12:35 PM

I think it has more to do with being overworked in 2003.

chisoxmike
10-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Eh, its only October. I'll be "surprised" in March if it comes up again.

jenn2080
10-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Maybe one day they will get rid of them both. What a waste of payroll!:rolleyes:

LuvSox
10-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Mark Prior is either:

A. A big ****ing wuss

OR

B. Sandbagging. He sees how the Cubs org. treats pitchers so he wants out.

INSox56
10-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Yeah, overworked or not, he's got issues, genetic issues. The reason it's so bad is because he's got a naturally loose shoulder joint. That's not necessarily a good thing.

helloooooo tendinitis

MDF3530
10-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Mark Prior is either:

A. A big ****ing wuss

OR

B. Sandbagging. He sees how the Cubs org. treats pitchers so he wants out.
I choose C. Both A. and B. If simulated games and towel drills counted, Wood & Prior would be perennial Cy Young winners.

palehozenychicty
10-18-2006, 04:36 PM

Just go away already, Mark. :rolleyes:

davenicholson
10-19-2006, 08:40 AM
but just about every time I read anything about another one of Prior's meteoric trips to the DL, I think of the Twins not drafting him because they were told he wouldn't sign with them and having to settle for Mauer. Maybe "Earl" Hendry should make a list of all the bad things he has done in his life and begin to rectify them. Maybe this guy would be willing to help:

http://www.mordantorange.com/images/05sep/earl.gif

FedEx227
10-19-2006, 09:36 AM
I've always said I think that Prior has more emotional problems then physical. He's a baby plain and simple, whether that was being put under a microscope through his baseball career because he was the "perfect" pitcher or not...

it just seems too weird that hes ALWAYS injuried, the Cubs are a horrible organization but there is no way they could've possibly destroyed his arm this much.... is there?

Jerko
10-19-2006, 12:56 PM
I vote Wuss, especially after the way Radke pitched this season with his injuries. I know everyone has different thresholds of pain, but Wood pitches more than Prior does and HE has surgeries. I don't think he's sandbagging because he's costing himself money if he is, so, I choose wussy.

Gregory Pratt
10-19-2006, 08:35 PM
I think it has more to do with being overworked in 2003.

I think it has to do with a certain someone doing steroids and wearing out his tendons as a result. I've always believed Prior a juicer, especially once he fell apart, physically, with mystery illnesses.