PDA

View Full Version : New TV deal Fox & WTBS

Lip Man 1
10-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Looks like ESPN is out:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-bbo-baseball-tv,1,7263469.story?coll=sns-ap-sports-headlines

Lip

MUsoxfan
10-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Christ:rolleyes:

Who in the world would broadcast games for them? Skip, Chip and Dip? Get ready for some horribly broadcasted games

LuvSox
10-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Christ:rolleyes:

Who in the world would broadcast games for them? Skip, Chip and Dip? Get ready for some horribly broadcasted games

Lyons. :angry:

TheOldRoman
10-17-2006, 10:58 PM
This makes me furious. This is the perfect way to NOT build a fanbase. October is a very special time, even if your team isn't in the playoffs. Even if there are no regular season games on broadcast TV, they should make damn sure that EVERY SINGLE playoff game is. As I said before, I never had cable/satellite until I went away to college. Although I have it now, I still get upset that so many Sox games are on cable. I only got to see 3-4 Sox games a month growing up, and if not for the playoffs, I probably wouldn't have ever gotten into baseball.

http://chicagobusiness.com/images/random/og101606g.gif

Look how much higher the ratings are on WGN/WCIU compared to Comcast. Now spread that over the entire country. The moron Selig is taking baseball out of the homes of millions of Americans at the time he needs them to see it the most. Not everyone has cable.

getonbckthr
10-17-2006, 11:10 PM
There is a positive no more Chris "OHHHHHHHHH NOOO" Berman.

MUsoxfan
10-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Look how much higher the ratings are on WGN/WCIU compared to Comcast. Now spread that over the entire country. The moron Selig is taking baseball out of the homes of millions of Americans at the time he needs them to see it the most. Not everyone has cable.

WGN is a cable outlet in places outside the Chicago area

Oblong
10-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Does this mean no more Braves on TBS? I will be deprived of seeing the Braves vs. Cubs on ESPN, WGN, and WTBS... all at the same time?

jdm2662
10-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Does this mean no more Braves on TBS? I will be deprived of seeing the Braves vs. Cubs on ESPN, WGN, and WTBS... all at the same time?

There will be 45 Braves games on TBS. WGN Superstation will no longer have games.

Oblong
10-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Well that sucks. I watched quite a few Sox games this year after joining this board.

But that's the way things are going I guess.

Medford Bobby
10-18-2006, 08:25 AM
:angry: NO more SOX games on the Superstation WGN??? When did this happen???:?:

sox1970
10-18-2006, 08:45 AM
There is a positive no more Chris "OHHHHHHHHH NOOO" Berman.

When I've watched that series from last year, it amazes me more and more each time how badly Chris Berman called that series. That was more offensive than anything Steve Lyons said.

SoxFan78
10-18-2006, 09:20 AM
I can't believe ESPN will be showing no playoff games, at least no more Boom Boom "OH NOOOOOOOOOO" Berman.

One question though, will the games be broadcast in Hi Def??

INSox56
10-18-2006, 09:21 AM
There will be 45 Braves games on TBS. WGN Superstation will no longer have games.

where the hell has this been said?

Lip Man 1
10-18-2006, 09:26 AM
I have heard nothing about WGN not showing games nationally anymore. For what it's worth some of the media folks in Chicago haven't heard this at all either.

JDM can you link a source to your statement?

Lip

Hitmen77
10-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Looks like ESPN is out:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-bbo-baseball-tv,1,7263469.story?coll=sns-ap-sports-headlines

Lip

Does this mean that ESPN will have no MLB telecasts at all? It sounds like TBS is taking over Sunday night games. Right? What about ESPN wednesday night games?

Turner Sports president David Levy said he hoped baseball could avoid overlapping games in the division series -- if that occurred, they could be shown on TBS and TNT.

"I kind of hate when we put two games on at the same time," Selig said.
How can you avoid overlap when there are 4 division series going on at the same time? :?:

jdm2662
10-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Lip,

Fenway posted this a while back. I had mentioned the Tribco had the same problem with David Stern, sued him, and won. I had expected the same action.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65669&highlight=WGN

Hitmen77
10-18-2006, 09:45 AM
When I've watched that series from last year, it amazes me more and more each time how badly Chris Berman called that series. That was more offensive than anything Steve Lyons said.

More offensive than the "Ohhhh Noooooo!!!:whiner: " call was how he called the end of the ALDS. ".....and the Boston Red Sox dream of repeating has ended." Totally ridiculous. :angry:

SoxFan78
10-18-2006, 09:50 AM
More offensive than the "Ohhhh Noooooo!!!:whiner: " call was how he called the end of the ALDS. ".....and the Boston Red Sox dream of repeating has ended." Totally ridiculous. :angry:

I hope if he ever steps foot in Comiskey he gets booed mercifully. WORST.ANNOUNCER.EVER!

sox1970
10-18-2006, 10:04 AM

"Congratulations to the Chicago White Sox, and congratulations to the Red Sox as well."

Wha? Huh? Congratulations to the Red Sox for what? Getting dressed and taking the field?

Lip Man 1
10-18-2006, 10:06 AM
JDM:

With respect Fenway is wrong.

To the best of my knowledge WGN Superstation will have games now and in the future, the lobbiest to Congress on behalf of the Superstations is far to strong for Proud To Be Your Bud to fight.

I'm sorry but in this case Fenway is not reliable. He is offering his opinions without evidence. I'll conceed the point if you or he can show me a link, or a news story that states this is going to take place.

So far it's been nothing but posturing and opinions. Immediately I thought that this would be your 'source' when you made your statement. Again I'm sorry but I need more then rumors and opinions. Give me something tangible.

I have just now sent an e-mail on this to some of my friends in the Chicago media (including media reporters) to see if they know anything about this. If any respond with information I'll post it.

Lip

jdm2662
10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
JDM:

With respect Fenway is wrong.

To the best of my knowledge WGN Superstation will have games now and in the future, the lobbiest to Congress on behalf of the Superstations is far to strong for Proud To Be Your Bud to fight.

I'm sorry but in this case Fenway is not reliable. He is offering his opinions without evidence. I'll conceed the point if you or he can show me a link, or a news story that states this is going to take place.

So far it's been nothing but posturing and opinions. Immediately I thought that this would be your 'source' when you made your statement. Again I'm sorry but I need more then rumors and opinions. Give me something tangible.

I have just now sent an e-mail on this to some of my friends in the Chicago media (including media reporters) to see if they know anything about this. If any respond with information I'll post it.

Lip

No need to be sorry Lip. I just go by what I read. If the TribCo can sue David Stern of all people and win, and I think they can beat Bud. The Bulls being taken off the Superstation was a big deal because I was in Central IL at the time. I followed the case for months until it was settled. I got to see all the Bulls games again...

Oblong
10-18-2006, 11:39 AM
WHat is the "Oh Nooo" thing with Berman? Something from last year's playoffs?

Medford Bobby
10-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Bud has tried to limit superstations over the years to keep a handle of free over air games available on satellite. Thank fully WWOR and WPIX still broadcast Mets and Yankee games on SAT TV, while KTLA, KWGN and WSBK Boston have let their teams go to other local signals.

I wonder why the Baseball Channel has never gotten off the ground??:?:

palehozenychicty
10-18-2006, 12:11 PM

Last year, game 2 of the ALDS against Boston, Tony Graffanino booted a routine ground ball off the bat of Uribe. He shouts, "Oh no! Through his legs! Everyone's safe!" The floodgates opened, Sox won, and the rest, as you know, is history.

jdm2662
10-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Bud has tried to limit superstations over the years to keep a handle of free over air games available on satellite. Thank fully WWOR and WPIX still broadcast Mets and Yankee games on SAT TV, while KTLA, KWGN and WSBK Boston have let their teams go to other local signals.

I wonder why the Baseball Channel has never gotten off the ground??:?:

I remember having WOR, but it was dropped in the late 80s/early 90s. We got the Mets during the heyday and the Rangers. Not sure why it was dropped. Maybe WOR got rid of their superstation.

pudge
10-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Wow. Baseball is falling more and more out of mainstream and into a niche sport. Such a shame. This will remove millions and millions of viewers. The World Series on TBS??? ***?

SoxFan78
10-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Last year, game 2 of the ALDS against Boston, Tony Graffanino booted a routine ground ball off the bat of Uribe. He shouts, "Oh no! Through his legs! Everyone's safe!" The floodgates opened, Sox won, and the rest, as you know, is history.

Also in game 3 when El Duque struck out Johnny Damon to get out of the 7th, Berman screamed "Ohhh Nooo, he got him to gooooo!".

Berman=No Talent Ass Clown

Oblong
10-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Also in game 3 when El Duque struck out Johnny Damon to get out of the 7th, Berman screamed "Ohhh Nooo, he got him to gooooo!".

Berman=No Talent Ass Clown

That's horrible and what's even worse is that I didn't hear about it. Not that I'm special but I am a baseball fan and a call like that should have gotten out in the mainstream as being a travesty.

I remember the Graffinino play but don't remember the call. A national broadcast shouldn't be geared towards one team. It's bad enough when Linda Mr. Ed Cohn always has to remind us that she's a ranger fan. During the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals, Joey Kocur scored a goal. During the highlights on ESPN she was going through the recap and of course had to say something like "Joe Kocur, former Ranger, gets the goal".

Fenway
10-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Lip isn't going to like this but after a phone call to MLB in NY this is where it stands.

2007 WGN Superstation will continue to air games.

2008 and beyond is still up in the air.

The Braves will no longer be on Superstation TBS starting in 2008 but in return they were given the MLB Sunday afternoon package ( and now the LCS )

MLB wants a lot of $$$$ from Tribune for the out of market ( key phrase ) for Cubs and White Sox baseball. Keep in mind that outside the home market MLB and not the team controls the video signal. As of right now Tribune has not coughed up the cash. WGN Superstation also has the problem of not being a full national superstation. In the Northeast Tribune offers WPIX New York instead of WGN. My home cable system blacked out Mets games in 2006 at the request of NESN and all you saw was a blank screen as WPIX does not offer a second satellite feed. WWOR has been off cable for years and their slot on the bird was taken by Animal Planet.

Little Congress can do about this as dish owners would still get a signal from WGN but it won't always be what Channel 9 is running in Chicago. For example Superstation WGN does not carry "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" as Channel 9 does.

Bottom line is MLB wants complete control of "out of market" games.

PKalltheway
10-18-2006, 03:23 PM
2007 WGN Superstation will continue to air games.

2008 and beyond is still up in the air.

Let's hope Tribune coughs up the money. A LOT of Sox fans will be affected if they quit showing games on WGN.

WGN Superstation also has the problem of not being a full national superstation.
Why would that be a big problem? There are more people in the country who get WGN with their cable then there are people who don't get with their cable.

Lip Man 1
10-18-2006, 03:52 PM
So in fact nothing has been decided past 2007. Thank you. For right now everything is based on opinion and discussion so for anyone to say games will be off the air after 2007 is foolish.

Baseball may want complete control of out of market games but they ain't going to get it.

Read "Lords of the Realm" by John Helyar to discover what Congress did the last time MLB started whining about Superstations. MLB can not fight angry consumers (fans) pressuring local and state representatives to limit or stop Superstations.

Based on the accounts in the book, of what happened the last time MLB tried this I predict nothing is going to change and WTBS (Braves and now MLB),WGN (Sox / Cubs) WWOR (Yankees) and WPIX (Mets) will continue to air games nationally.

KTLA and KWGN no longer show Dodgers and Rockies games because they lost the contracts to other local non Superstation channels. KDFW (Rangers) decided they no longer wanted to show things nationally years ago.

Lip

PKalltheway
10-18-2006, 06:10 PM
The World Series on TBS??? ***?
The World Series will still be on Fox. Although many people are going to be deprived of baseball in October, this is the nature of the beast now. More money can be made by showing games on cable now. This is 2006, not 1986. This is a shame that this has happened, but the tide is changing. A lot of the NBA playoffs are now on cable, the NHL is almost exclusively on cable, and the NFL has Monday Night Football on cable now. You can say baseball and all of the other sports are thumbing their nose at the people who can't afford cable (which they are), but all they care about is making money, and what vehicle they can use to make the most money.

Lip Man 1
10-18-2006, 06:56 PM
For those who are unfamiliar with the book The Lords Of The Realm or what Buddy-boy and his cronies tried to pull off once before, here's the gist of it and what reality showed.

When Bud and company started bleating about the 'woes' the Superstations were causing baseball and threatening to shut them down, lobbyist (including a number from the Tribune Company) went to politicos such as Dennis DeConcini from Arizona and explained what could happen to their chances for returning to office if say all those transplanted Chicagoan's living in Arizona couldn't see their Cubbies. As you can expect those politicos quickly backed down and voted against what Bud and company wanted.

I'd think those politicos would do the same thing this time around once they get wind of what's happening. They love their office more then they love Proud To be Your Bud.

Lip

TheOldRoman
10-18-2006, 07:08 PM
WGN is a cable outlet in places outside the Chicago area
Yes, but that graph shows viewership in the Chicago area. More people get to watch games on WGN/WCIU because not everyone has cable.

Fenway
10-19-2006, 04:39 PM
So in fact nothing has been decided past 2007. Thank you. For right now everything is based on opinion and discussion so for anyone to say games will be off the air after 2007 is foolish.

Baseball may want complete control of out of market games but they ain't going to get it.

Well the Braves are history on TBS after 2007 ( but they will have the Sunday afternoon package )

Will the Tribune cough up the cash to continue feeding games outside of Chicago?

WSBK is getting back their Friday night package but they were told they can not put them on the bird. Outside of Boston the games will continue to be on NESN. Red Sox took amajor PR hit in 2006 when the only over the air games were on FOX shutting out many poor and senior viewers.

chaerulez
10-23-2006, 12:17 AM
http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/ny-spbest184937815oct18,0,6152448.story?coll=ny-television-print

Good thing about this: If the Sox make it to the ALCS in 2008 and every other year afterwards, we don't have to listen to McCarver.

Bad thing: It's cable, look at what the NBA has turned into after they became a mostly cable sport. It's popularity has fallen. Isn't every NFL playoff game still on broadcast television? Shocking how a good chunk of every other sport will have their postseason on cable starting next year.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-23-2006, 12:19 AM
http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/ny-spbest184937815oct18,0,6152448.story?coll=ny-television-print

Good thing about this: If the Sox make it to the ALCS in 2008 and every other year afterwards.

Is 2007 already hopeless?

CLR01
10-23-2006, 12:21 AM

Only if we don't bring back Rowand The Man God.

chaerulez
10-23-2006, 12:35 AM

No, Fox would get the ALCS in 2007. The comment had nothing to do with the Sox on field expectations, but who would be the announcers in the LCS.

chaerulez
10-23-2006, 12:37 AM

Read "Lords of the Realm" by John Helyar to discover what Congress did the last time MLB started whining about Superstations. MLB can not fight angry consumers (fans) pressuring local and state representatives to limit or stop Superstations.

Based on the accounts in the book, of what happened the last time MLB tried this I predict nothing is going to change and WTBS (Braves and now MLB),WGN (Sox / Cubs) WWOR (Yankees) and WPIX (Mets) will continue to air games nationally.

KTLA and KWGN no longer show Dodgers and Rockies games because they lost the contracts to other local non Superstation channels. KDFW (Rangers) decided they no longer wanted to show things nationally years ago.

Lip

Why would fans be angry about superstations? Are they mad that other teams get national exposure? It hasn't worked out so well for the Braves. And I've never even heard of WWOR and WPIX... is that more of a east coast superstation?

Viva Medias B's
10-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Have we established that ESPN is out of the picture completely? Where will national games during the week be broadcast?

Hitmen77
11-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Owners approve the new deal:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2665118

So, is this new TV deal part of the reason for the big contract$$$ so far this offseason?

PKalltheway
11-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Have we established that ESPN is out of the picture completely? Where will national games during the week be broadcast?
They're still going to be on ESPN lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLB_on_Cable_Television
On September 14 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_14), 2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_in_television) however, ESPN, then the current rights holder, signed an eight year contract with Major League Baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball), highlighted by the continuation of ESPN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN)'s Sunday Night Baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Night_Baseball) series with additional, exclusive team appearances. The key details of the agreement were:

Up to 80 regular-season telecasts per year;
No blackout restrictions on exclusive Sunday Night Baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Night_Baseball); Monday Night Baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monday_Night_Baseball), with ESPN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN) mostly coexisting with local carriers
Up to five appearances per team per year on the exclusive Sunday Night Baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Night_Baseball) series, up from 11 over three years;
Daily Baseball Tonight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Tonight) programs one of ESPN's most popular series -- including the continued right to show in-progress highlights and live cut-ins;
MLB Home Run Derby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Run_Derby), ESPN's highest-rated program of the summer and one of cable's best, and additional All-Star programming;
Continuation of season-long Wednesday baseball on ESPN and ESPN2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN2)
A new afternoon batting practice program, generally from the site of ESPN's Monday night telecast;

Ziggy S
11-17-2006, 09:17 PM
I've never even heard of WWOR and WPIX... is that more of a east coast superstation?

You must be a youngin'. WWOR is a New York/New Jersey based superstation that used to be picked up in the Chicagoland area around the late Eighties-early Nineties. I remember watching the Howard Stern sketch show on there as well as "Charles in Charge" for some reason. I believe Mets games were broadcasted on it, but I'm not completely sure.

Hitmen77
11-17-2006, 09:46 PM
They're still going to be on ESPN lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLB_on_Cable_Television

On September 14 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_14), 2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_in_television) however, ESPN, then the current rights holder, signed an eight year contract with the Yankees, the Red Sox, and the other 28 lesser teams of Major League Baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball), highlighted by the continuation of ESPN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN)'s Sunday Night Baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Night_Baseball) series with additional, exclusive team appearances. The key details of the agreement were:

Up to 80 regular-season telecasts per year;
No blackout restrictions on exclusive Sunday Night Baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Night_Baseball); Monday Night Baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monday_Night_Baseball), with ESPN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN) mostly coexisting with local carriers
Up to five appearances per team per year on the exclusive Sunday Night Baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Night_Baseball) series, up from 11 over three years;
Daily Baseball Tonight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Tonight) programs one of ESPN's most popular series -- including coverage that is heavily slanted towards the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and a few other popular teams, the continued right to show in-progress highlights and live cut-ins. Teams that play .600 ball, but are not deemed popular by ESPN's staff (such as the White Sox and Tigers), will get minimal coverage;
MLB Home Run Derby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Run_Derby), ESPN's highest-rated program of the summer and one of cable's best, and additional All-Star programming;
Continuation of season-long Wednesday baseball on ESPN and ESPN2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN2)
A new afternoon batting practice program, generally from the site of ESPN's Monday night telecast.

I think that Wikipedia entry needs some corrections. Here are my suggestions.