PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi and Dye to play in exhibition tourney in Japan

delben91
10-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061016&content_id=1715212&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Looks like Nathan and Santana of the Twins are playing too. I think it's great exposure with the caveat that I hope neither gets injured. Be hard to imagine someone like Iguchi not playing in a tournament like this though.

(I did a search and didn't see this anywhere, my apologies if it's already been posted)

ondafarm
10-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061016&content_id=1715212&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Looks like Nathan and Santana of the Twins are playing too. I think it's great exposure with the caveat that I hope neither gets injured. Be hard to imagine someone like Iguchi not playing in a tournament like this though.

(I did a search and didn't see this anywhere, my apologies if it's already been posted)

It is not a tournamanet. It's a few exhibition games. I had the pleasure of working translation in one of the first of these series and nobody goes all out for anything. Although injuries can happen anytime, I'm very doubtful of any problems at all.

A. Cavatica
10-16-2006, 09:55 PM
It's great that the people of Japan will get a chance to see MLB stars like Iguchi!

ondafarm
10-16-2006, 11:44 PM
It's great that the people of Japan will get a chance to see MLB stars like Iguchi!

Touche!

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Touche!

new color?

Lip Man 1
10-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Mike Sirotka if I remember correctly reinjured himself pitching in this series after the 2000 playoffs and never pitched again, so it may be an exhibition but there is some risk involved.

Lip

ondafarm
10-17-2006, 12:39 AM
According to this

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1025816090246_21225290//

Sirotka was already injured when he went on the tour and his compensating for a sore elbow caused his shoulder injury.

Baby Fisk
10-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Sirotka was born injured.

Lip Man 1
10-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Onda:

Which is why I wrote, "reinjured" himself.

Lip

SoxFan78
10-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Do they televise these games in the US? I would like to see them thats for sure.

ondafarm
10-17-2006, 10:18 PM
new color?

What do you mean?

ondafarm
10-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Onda:

Which is why I wrote, "reinjured" himself.

Lip

He was injured in one location and was over-compensating and injured himself in another location.

I wasn't there but I wonder if Sirotka should have gone or if he knew that he didn't have much left in a career so he went anyways.

I just don't blame the games in Japan.

Lip Man 1
10-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Onda:

Don't say this is gospel but I think I remember reading where he told the Sox docs he was hurt, they didn't find anything and cleared him to pitch in Japan.

Lip

ondafarm
10-18-2006, 12:24 AM
Onda:

Don't say this is gospel but I think I remember reading where he told the Sox docs he was hurt, they didn't find anything and cleared him to pitch in Japan.

Lip

Lip,
I made a call on this one and spoke to an old friend who was there. He said that when Sirotka came out that he talked to the American trainer there who immediately asked for medical assistance. It being Japan they had several doctors on hand, including an accupunturist. Sirotka was examined and was evidently quite objectionable to the process. To be fair, Japanese docs mostly irritated me and even gave my sister, a physician herself, when she visited to sit in on my treatment, a terribly hard time.

Anyways, supposedly the accupunturist first, then the other Japanese docs all agreed, on first examination, that Sirotka had not just injured himself. They all said it was an extension of an old injury.

I didn't know how to say "re-injured" in Japanese so I couldn't question him on that.