PDA

View Full Version : Woo is an Idiot

havelj
10-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Plus...he wears the uniform.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20061014/capt.de4c85e82c354b3ca3de89026bfb1167.o_neil_servi ces_moow101.jpg?x=329&y=345&sig=SvHK_ITdJ5RRayxAA.F3uQ--

Ronnie 'Woo-Woo' Wickers pays his respects to Buck O'Neil following graveside services in Kansas City, Mo., Saturday, Oct. 14, 2006. Wickers is a fixture in the left field bleachers at Wrigley Field in Chicago. (AP Photo/Orlin Wagner)

jenn2080
10-16-2006, 03:35 PM
:?: :?: :rolleyes:

Why exactly?

rdwj
10-16-2006, 03:56 PM
That must be his dress uniform. The one I've always seen that ding-bat wearing is filthy

JoeyCora28
10-16-2006, 03:59 PM

Why exactly?

:woo-woo

I'm (woo) like the Cubs (woo) Vice President (woo). I represent them (woo) whenever (woo) the President (woo) can't attend (woo).

WSox597
10-16-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm (woo) like the Cubs (woo) Vice President (woo). I represent them (woo) whenever (woo) the President (woo) can't attend (woo).

Nicely done, wish I thought of it. :tongue:

Frankfan4life
10-16-2006, 09:33 PM
I think attending Buck O'Neils service was a nice gesture on Woo Woo's part. I can't find any fault in that.

Except, that he should have worn the road uni.

ilsox7
10-16-2006, 10:12 PM
This explains why I saw him, in full uniform, at Midway last night. I really, really hope he has 6 or 7 uniforms, otherwise that thing has to be awfully dirty.

samram
10-16-2006, 10:19 PM
This explains why I saw him, in full uniform, at Midway last night. I really, really hope he has 6 or 7 uniforms, otherwise that thing has to be awfully dirty.

He was able to afford a plane ticket?

ilsox7
10-16-2006, 10:23 PM
He was able to afford a plane ticket?

He has to have a backer of some sort. Someone must have decided to sponsor his life.

RKMeibalane
10-16-2006, 10:25 PM
You're just realizing this now? :cool:

BeeBeeRichard
10-16-2006, 10:45 PM
He has to have a backer of some sort. Someone must have decided to sponsor his life.

Most likely he has multiple people who contribute to his "cause." It's probably a better schtick than sitting on a bridge downtown (those guys probably don't get an airline ticket dropped on them too often), plus he's a celebrity.

Anyone ever encounter a similar character at US Cellular? Saw him sitting down the line in left during McCarthy's flame-out vs. TB in late August (Grrr...). He's a younger guy, way into the game (complete with Sox gear head to toe and a homemade sign), sits by himself but exchanges waves with people two sections away, several people come by and give him beers, food, etc.

We took to calling him Woo Too. Or Woo Two.

MarySwiss
10-16-2006, 10:46 PM

Why exactly?
Jenn, the title of this thread says it all! However, someone needs to point out that this clown showing up at the funeral of someone as great as Buck O'Neil is beyond contempt.

RKMeibalane
10-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Jenn, the title of this thread says it all! However, someone needs to point out that this clown showing up at the funeral of someone as great as Buck O'Neil is beyond contempt.

I think you're pleas may "fall on deaf ears." Woo-woo's deranged Cubs obsession has guaranteed him lifetime immunity from criticism by the media, no matter how obnoxious his behavior is.

I don't have a problem with him going to the funeral, but I'm dissapointed that he was wearing his uniform. Does he not realize that it's important to dress nicely as a gesture of respect?

WhiteSox5187
10-17-2006, 12:29 AM
I went to game one of the WS last year, and I swear I saw Ronnie Woo-Woo there. The man is a total idiot. I worked with the Cubs (and the Sox too!) in 2004 and he essentially has free reign over the park. He is just another part of the "beautiful Wrigley Field experience."

The Critic
10-17-2006, 08:16 AM
I go to several games a year at Chewing Gum Field (wife's a Cub fan, daughter likes both teams equally), and I always see people falling over each other to take pictures with him, and give him money, beers, food, etc.

All I can guess is that the Cubs uniform casts some sort of spell on people where they can't resist giving their money away.
It's really quite bizarre, and fascinating to watch in a way.

johnnyg83
10-17-2006, 11:29 AM
That picture was on the front page of the Sunday Kansas City Star. The demise of newspapers has been accelerated.

jenn2080
10-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I go to several games a year at Chewing Gum Field (wife's a Cub fan, daughter likes both teams equally), and I always see people falling over each other to take pictures with him, and give him money, beers, food, etc.

All I can guess is that the Cubs uniform casts some sort of spell on people where they can't resist giving their money away.
It's really quite bizarre, and fascinating to watch in a way.

I hate Ronnie WOO WOO but dont people take tons of pictures with Soxman at games. Yes Yes they do.

mccoydp
10-17-2006, 12:43 PM
The question of the day is: how did he get to Kansas City in the first place?

Did he walk?

Someone must have been seduced by his Cubbiness enough to buy the fool a ticket, I suppose.

skottyj242
10-17-2006, 12:52 PM
The guy went to a funeral, how does that make him an idiot?

jenn2080
10-17-2006, 01:02 PM

Duh of course he is :rolleyes:

chaerulez
10-17-2006, 01:17 PM
I think the point is, going to a funeral he should at least respect the situation and wear a suit or something more approriate. Wearing a baseball uniform reeks of "lets do this for a nice photo", of course something like that is going to draw attention. The fact that this guy also contributes as much to society as Paris Hilton. He's a joke, and I don't think he even realizes how he's being exploited.

Hangar18
10-17-2006, 01:20 PM

hes an idiot because hes a Cub fan, heh heh. Heres the thing, the guy can like the team (even though he couldve chosen 29 other teams, he chose the one that is the laughingstock of baseball) thats his right. But wearing that uniform 365 days a year is a bit ridiculous. Heres the real deal. The uniform begets Woo Woo. He wears it because every single day, because the dumbest fanbase in baseball will continue to ogle him, give him drinks, take him to KC, buy him McDonalds, all because hes a cub "fan". He is basically a creation of that dumb Fanbase ................

And people wonder why I mock and ridicule them on a daily basis? Because if I'd been to that funeral, and WooWoo upstages Bucks farewell by wearing that ugly little league suit called the Cubs uniform, Id be thoroughly embarrassed ....for Chicago, for baseball.

soxinem1
10-17-2006, 01:43 PM
I think you're pleas may "fall on deaf ears." Woo-woo's deranged Cubs obsession has guaranteed him lifetime immunity from criticism by the media, no matter how obnoxious his behavior is.

I don't have a problem with him going to the funeral, but I'm dissapointed that he was wearing his uniform. Does he not realize that it's important to dress nicely as a gesture of respect?

He has to wear the uniform or no one will know who he is. Just like the team he roots for, publicity is the name of the game. Besides, would he be more proper for him to show up looking like he does without the costume?: (Click on the image)

itsnotrequired
10-17-2006, 01:53 PM
I think the point is, going to a funeral he should at least respect the situation and wear a suit or something more approriate. Wearing a baseball uniform reeks of "lets do this for a nice photo", of course something like that is going to draw attention. The fact that this guy also contributes as much to society as Paris Hilton. He's a joke, and I don't think he even realizes how he's being exploited.

I guess it all depends on the person. Black and suits and all that jazz is the default but if the person wasn't that kind of person, something different may be appropriate. Beats me how Buck would have felt about this.

I know when I kick the can, I don't want people to feel the need to dress up for me. Hell, I wouldn't dress up for my own funeral.

LuvSox
10-17-2006, 01:54 PM
I know when I kick the can, I don't want people to feel the need to dress up for me. Hell, I wouldn't dress up for my own funeral.

Cubs uni's for all! :D:

chaerulez
10-17-2006, 02:05 PM
I guess it all depends on the person. Black and suits and all that jazz is the default but if the person wasn't that kind of person, something different may be appropriate. Beats me how Buck would have felt about this.

I understand what your saying, but I guess my point is Ronnie Woo Woo had to have stood out in the crowd. And that is how he ended up in an AP photo. Otherwise, like others have said... how else would anyone recognize him without the Cubs uni?

havelj
10-17-2006, 02:36 PM
He should not want to be recognized at a funeral. He should be there to pay his repects and not try to make a good photo op.

southside rocks
10-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Why are you ripping the guy? You're in a position to trash someone who's had the life he has and been through what he has?

Must be nice to be you. Or maybe you should just **** and Google the word "compassion."

http://www.ronniewoowoo.com/tribune.htm

jenn2080
10-17-2006, 03:12 PM
How do you not know there is not something wrong with him? And who cares if he gets stuff paid for by people. WHO CARES! Clearly he has been like an unofficial mascot for years. I am with INR, I wouldnt want people dressing up at my funeral.

nysox35
10-17-2006, 03:27 PM

I beg to differ. Paris is trash, but at least she's hot. The same cannot be said of Woo man.

ilsox7
10-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Paris is trash, but at least she's hot.

Uh, teal? God I hope that was meant to be teal.

skottyj242
10-17-2006, 03:31 PM
hes an idiot because hes a Cub fan, heh heh. Heres the thing, the guy can like the team (even though he couldve chosen 29 other teams, he chose the one that is the laughingstock of baseball) thats his right. But wearing that uniform 365 days a year is a bit ridiculous. Heres the real deal. The uniform begets Woo Woo. He wears it because every single day, because the dumbest fanbase in baseball will continue to ogle him, give him drinks, take him to KC, buy him McDonalds, all because hes a cub "fan". He is basically a creation of that dumb Fanbase ................

And people wonder why I mock and ridicule them on a daily basis? Because if I'd been to that funeral, and WooWoo upstages Bucks farewell by wearing that ugly little league suit called the Cubs uniform, Id be thoroughly embarrassed ....for Chicago, for baseball.

I get it Henry, you hate the Cubs and everything that has to do with them. Give it a rest. You're ridiculing a man that you hate based solely on his allegience to a baseball team and I and most of the people I know grew out of that in grammar school.

fquaye149
10-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I don't see what people are missing here.

It's grossly inappropriate to wear a ****ing BASEBALL UNIFORM to a man's funeral.

So the guy has problems. Then it should be up to SOMEONE to tell him what is grossly disrespectful. It is ridiculous that he would show up like that.

Jerko
10-17-2006, 03:43 PM
If the guy can figure out how to get to the airport and visit seemingly every city in the U.S., he shouldn't have to be told not to wear a baseball uni to a funeral.

jenn2080
10-17-2006, 03:46 PM

It's grossly inappropriate to wear a ****ing BASEBALL UNIFORM to a man's funeral.

So the guy has problems. Then it should be up to SOMEONE to tell him what is grossly disrespectful. It is ridiculous that he would show up like that.

Here is the thing you are missing. How do you know it is inappropriate?

If my gram or my uncle who are Cubs fans die tomorrow and Ronnie Poo Poo decides to show up and pay his respects in his Cubs uniform it is not inappropriate. They would have been honored. If I die tomorrow I want Soxman costume and all as a door greeter. Would that be inappropriate?

Is in appropriate to have booze and a wake? To some it is not. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!

chaerulez
10-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Why are you ripping the guy? You're in a position to trash someone who's had the life he has and been through what he has?

Must be nice to be you. Or maybe you should just **** and Google the word "compassion."

http://www.ronniewoowoo.com/tribune.htm

Cry me a river, a lot of people end up having hard childhoods, but they don't end up becoming bums without real jobs and bumbling idiots who try to get on the news every chance they get.

fquaye149
10-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Here is the thing you are missing. How do you know it is inappropriate?

If my gram or my uncle who are Cubs fans die tomorrow and Ronnie Poo Poo decides to show up and pay his respects in his Cubs uniform it is not inappropriate. They would have been honored. If I die tomorrow I want Soxman costume and all as a door greeter. Would that be inappropriate?

Is in appropriate to have booze and a wake? To some it is not. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!

So Buck O'Neill's a Cub fan? So Woo knew Buck O'Neill?

I'm not talking about your family member showing up to your family member's funeral.

We're talking about a guy showing up to some stranger's funeral in a grimy costume that has very very little to do with the man being honored.

I wouldn't ever tell someone they were wrong for what they did at a funeral of someone they were close to. But to show up to someone else's funeral in a ridiculous getup is unacceptable in my mind. Would you show up to a casual acquaintance's funeral in a White Sox T-shirt? You know damn well you wouldn't, shouldn't, and have never.

MarySwiss
10-17-2006, 03:54 PM

I'll take it even further than that. He makes a practice of showing up in that uniform at places he shouldn't be. Remember when he was at the Hall of Fame a few years ago and no one knew how he got in? An earlier poster said you go to a funeral to pay respects, not for a photo op. I think this comment and yours hits the nail on the head. And I also think it was disrespectful to Buck O'Neil's memory that Woo GOT the attention.

jenn2080
10-17-2006, 03:55 PM
I think this has been made a big deal here for nothing.

fquaye149
10-17-2006, 03:58 PM
I think this has been made a big deal here for nothing.

I'll ask you this. If someone you didn't know came to your (or one of your family member's) funeral wearing a dirty Cubs uniform, would you think it was no big deal?

skottyj242
10-17-2006, 04:02 PM
I'll ask you this. If someone you didn't know came to your (or one of your family member's) funeral wearing a dirty Cubs uniform, would you think it was no big deal?

Do you know for a fact that they didn't know each other? From the picture it doesn't look dirty to me. FLUBSESSED with a capital F. Making something out of nothing.

fquaye149
10-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Do you know for a fact that they didn't know each other? From the picture it doesn't look dirty to me. FLUBSESSED with a capital F. Making something out of nothing.

I've never ONCE in the history of this site been anything close to being flubsessed.

I just think it's incredibly tasteless to show up to a non-cub's funeral in a ****ing Cubs uniform. ****, it'd be offensive to go in a ****ing polo shirt and khakis, much less a Cubs uniform.

The Critic
10-17-2006, 04:16 PM
I hate Ronnie WOO WOO but dont people take tons of pictures with Soxman at games. Yes Yes they do.

I don't get that either. No no I don't.

Fenway
10-17-2006, 04:19 PM
I think attending Buck O'Neils service was a nice gesture on Woo Woo's part. I can't find any fault in that.

I agree nobody should fine fault with this.

A real disgrace happened when Curt Flood died. NOT A SINGLE modern player went to his funeral. After all he did to help players win their freedom.

itsnotrequired
10-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Uh, teal? God I hope that was meant to be teal.

No kidding. She's like a female Skeletor.

itsnotrequired
10-17-2006, 05:05 PM

A real disgrace happened when Curt Flood died. NOT A SINGLE modern player went to his funeral. After all he did to help players win their freedom.

What this guy said. Maybe Ronnie was being an ass or maybe he and Buck were close friends. I don't think any of us really know. I mean, it wasn't like he wore the uniform to a State funeral. He wore it to the funeral of a great baseball man. Right or wrong? NONE OF US KNOW!

Don't even get me started on the Curt Flood situation. That guy got the ultimate shaft.

DumpJerry
10-17-2006, 05:12 PM

Wow. I wonder why. I guess they were all too busy counting their money earned via free agency. That's a shame.

jenn2080
10-17-2006, 05:16 PM

How do you know he didnt wash it before he went? You are assuming it is dirty. And I dont hate the Cubs enough to care if someone came to my funeral in a Cubs shirt. Everyone is there for the same reason. To celebrate my life over beers and great music.

fquaye149
10-17-2006, 05:55 PM
How do you know he didnt wash it before he went? You are assuming it is dirty. And I dont hate the Cubs enough to care if someone came to my funeral in a Cubs shirt. Everyone is there for the same reason. To celebrate my life over beers and great music.

You keep picking up on the small points. It could have been immaculate for all I care. I just think it's in real ****ty taste to wear a baseball jersey to a person you don't know (or at the very least, aren't friends with)'s funeral.

chaerulez
10-17-2006, 06:16 PM

Did they all boycott the funeral or something? Do you know if it was a private funeral? Unless the modern players you speak of were his friends, I don't think any player owed it to Curt Flood to show up at his funeral.

Dick Allen
10-17-2006, 07:05 PM
I get it Henry, you hate the Cubs and everything that has to do with them. Give it a rest. You're ridiculing a man that you hate based solely on his allegience to a baseball team and I and most of the people I know grew out of that in grammar school.Have you ever been around the man? He's a blithering idiot. It only makes it worse that he's a Cub fan. And does anyone here really think that Buck O'Neill would have been friends with this man?

TaylorStSox
10-17-2006, 07:59 PM
This thread sucks in so many ways. :redface:

whitesoxfan1986
10-17-2006, 09:01 PM
You guys are always talking about this Ronnie Woo Woo character. Who is he and why is he so funny other than being affiliated with that loser franchise on the north side?

lakeviewsoxfan
10-17-2006, 09:35 PM
You guys are always talking about this Ronnie Woo Woo character. Who is he and why is he so funny other than being affiliated with that loser franchise on the north side?

First he is not funny he is pathetic. I believe he is a homeless man who walks around the Lakeview neighborhood all day and has clueless "Cub Fans" buy him food and drink. I saw him while I was walking to work last week around 8:30, and he looked like complete garbage, I just looked at him and said seasons over Ron he looked up saw my Sox hat and just kept on walking.

Johnny Mostil
10-17-2006, 11:29 PM
You keep picking up on the small points. It could have been immaculate for all I care. I just think it's in real ****ty taste to wear a baseball jersey to a person you don't know (or at the very least, aren't friends with)'s funeral.

From the Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/special_packages/oneil/15760892.htm):

Sprinkled around the church were people wearing Buck O’Neil pins and Kansas City Monarchs apparel. Near the back of the church, 65-year-old Ronnie “Woo-Woo” Wickers was outfitted in a full Chicago Cubs uniform, pants and all. O’Neil’s autograph was visible on his jersey, and Wickers, a life-long Cubs who came all the way from Chicago, said that he made the trip to say thanks to a man that had touched his life several times since they met 30 to 40 years ago.

“I wouldn’t have missed this for anything,” he said. “I’ve met him about 15 or 20 times. It was an honor to be around him.”

I've no idea how accurate are Wickers's recollections, but I'm willing to give him (or anybody else attending a funeral and helping to bury the dead) some benefit of my doubt.

I'm glad you apparently qualified your original statement that "It's grossly inappropriate to wear a ****ing BASEBALL UNIFORM to a man's funeral," not least because I recall Minnie Minoso doing precisely that at Bill Veeck's funeral.

Gregory Pratt
10-18-2006, 12:29 AM
And does anyone here really think that Buck O'Neill would have been friends with this man?

Buck O'Neill called everyone friend and as far as I know there isn't a person alive who he wasn't nice to when he met. Buck was a great guy, a nice guy. Doesn't matter if you smell.

pmck003
10-18-2006, 12:55 AM
Was anyone else wearing baseball apparel?

fquaye149
10-18-2006, 02:11 AM
From the Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/special_packages/oneil/15760892.htm):

I've no idea how accurate are Wickers's recollections, but I'm willing to give him (or anybody else attending a funeral and helping to bury the dead) some benefit of my doubt.

I'm glad you apparently qualified your original statement that "It's grossly inappropriate to wear a ****ing BASEBALL UNIFORM to a man's funeral," not least because I recall Minnie Minoso doing precisely that at Bill Veeck's funeral.

If what you quoted is true then I rescind my objection. I still think it's ****ty, but I'll give WOO the benefit of the doubt (GOD I never thought I'd say that)....but still, I won't presume to know what I don't about their relationship.

Wear the Cubs Jersey. Woo on, Ronnie.

skottyj242
10-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Have you ever been around the man? He's a blithering idiot. It only makes it worse that he's a Cub fan. And does anyone here really think that Buck O'Neill would have been friends with this man?

The man was homeless for awhile, do you really expect him to be well spoken? The guy has probably been through stuff that none of us have any idea about, maybe Cubs baseball has in a weird way turned his life around. I find the guy annoying but to just bash, bash, bash him because he's a Cub fan in being idiotic.

PatK
10-18-2006, 11:17 AM

Except, that he should have worn the road uni.

:kneeslap::roflmao:

Dick Allen
10-18-2006, 01:23 PM
The man was homeless for awhile, do you really expect him to be well spoken? The guy has probably been through stuff that none of us have any idea about, maybe Cubs baseball has in a weird way turned his life around. I find the guy annoying but to just bash, bash, bash him because he's a Cub fan in being idiotic.Yeah, he's been through stuff that we have no idea about. Like being made a folk hero by nearly an entire fan base and a large portion of the brain-dead local media. And if you read my post, I said that being a Cub fan only made it worse, I wasn't bashing him strictly for being a Cub fan. If anybody should be bashed, it's the media, but that's old news.

Dick Allen
10-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Buck O'Neill called everyone friend and as far as I know there isn't a person alive who he wasn't nice to when he met. Buck was a great guy, a nice guy. Doesn't matter if you smell.Even he must have had his limits.:redneck

TaylorStSox
10-18-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm sorry, but a lot of the comments in this thread reek of racism and classism.

southside rocks
10-18-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm sorry, but a lot of the comments in this thread reek of racism and classism.

I agree. I'm sorry that the thread is even open and ongoing.

tony1972
10-18-2006, 02:46 PM
I met him at a Sox game (ironically) this past August. And I do think it is in bad taste to show up at any funeral in anything other than formal wear..

However, he seemed to be a pretty decent person. Out of curiousity I struck up a conversation and asked him why he was at a Sox game if he was such a huge Cubs fan. He said he was a big baseball fan and Chicago has too ballparks..so why shouldn't he go to Sox games when the Cubs were out of town? It does make sense. There is no law that states you cannot go here or there..but if I was invited to a Cubs game I would not be decked out in Sox gear (just out of common sense unless I wanted to be harrased)..

I think he was just someone who was in a bad postion in life who seized an opportunity (becoming the Cubs Mascot) and played it to the max. If it turned around his life and you were in the same postion you would probably take advantage of an opportunity if it meant free goodies and things were being provided to you by foolish people.

I do agree 100 % to go to a funeral like that is idiotic..but someone is not just an idiot because they took advantage of an opportunity (actually by only dressing in a uniform and yelling "Woo ! Woo!" gave provided rewards I would actually say that person is pretty smart)...