PDA

View Full Version : Sox Beat Cubs in TV ratings

roylestillman
10-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Crain's Chicago Business is reporting that the Sox beat the Cubs in the TV ratings on all outlets for the first time "in decades." I know this borders on an attendance thread, but the tide is turning.

Grzegorz
10-16-2006, 09:41 AM
This will all change with 'Uncle Lou' in the fold...

itsnotrequired
10-16-2006, 09:43 AM
http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=22442

http://chicagobusiness.com/images/random/og101606g.gif

SOXintheBURGH
10-16-2006, 09:47 AM
We PWN the U. :Rocker:

Hangar18
10-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Crain's Chicago Business is reporting that the Sox beat the Cubs in the TV ratings on all outlets for the first time "in decades." I know this borders on an attendance thread, but the tide is turning.

The SOX have owned the flubbies since mid-season. The media kept that on the downlow for the most part. I wonder why this wasnt a front-page story in the Tribune? Oh I know why, they were too busy doing the "Chicagos Real love is the Bears" angle to have cared.

skottyj242
10-16-2006, 10:56 AM
I can't beleive they did better than us this year than we did last year.

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2006, 11:20 AM
:sahaf It's a damnable lie. The Cubs remain firmly in control of all television, and will administer the mother of all beatings to anyone who tries to say otherwise!

Myrtle72
10-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Where I live... I was subject to many more Cubs games than Sox games on TV.

:mad:

caulfield12
10-16-2006, 11:37 AM
I can't beleive they did better than us this year than we did last year.

I think you meant to say "I can't believe the discrepancy in their lead over us last year (when we won the World Series) versus our smaller ratings victory over them this year."

I guess it just reinforces the maxim about season tickets, revenues, advertising rates, sponsorships and t.v. ratings all getting a bump the season AFTER a great season.

I want Mags back
10-16-2006, 11:40 AM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Lip Man 1
10-16-2006, 12:08 PM
All the more reason for a productive off season and a return to the post season in 2007. The opportunity is there folks for this organization to 'take back' their own city.

All they have to do is go out and do it by continuing to put quality teams on the field for the next five years or so.

Lip

LuvSox
10-16-2006, 12:25 PM
What is it Cubune? More jail cells with tv's? Televisions stolen from the north side?

Frankfan4life
10-16-2006, 12:26 PM

:mad:That could change because money talks and high ratings equals more demand and big bucks.

Madvora
10-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Sure, it's nice to stick it to the Cubs, but hey... what makes us better than them is that we have a winning baseball team to pay attention to rather than ratings and attendance. Now they don't even have that anymore.

MUsoxfan
10-16-2006, 02:18 PM
The next goal should be to get so many Sox games off of WCIU. I'm almost embarrassed for the team that they have to play games on that dog**** station. 24 games is entirely too many to be played right before Svengoolie comes on the air

Flight #24
10-16-2006, 02:22 PM
The SOX have owned the flubbies since mid-season. The media kept that on the downlow for the most part. I wonder why this wasnt a front-page story in the Tribune? Oh I know why, they were too busy doing the "Chicagos Real love is the Bears" angle to have cared.

Not that the Trib doesn't love to take potshots at the Sox, but this is actually true. There is no team that this city lusts for success from like the Bears. Not the Bulls (even during the 6 titles), not the Sox or Cubs (split fan base being a factor here).

thomas35forever
10-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Woo-hoo!:bandance:

cheezheadsoxfan
10-16-2006, 03:24 PM

I hear ya. Even tho I'm only about 10 miles from the WI/IL border I can't get Comcast or WCIU and ESPN blacks me out. Only time I get to watch a game is if it is on WGN. What is the experience of WSI folk with games on the computer. (MLB On Demand??). Will they work with a Mac?

PKalltheway
10-16-2006, 03:28 PM
The next goal should be to get so many Sox games off of WCIU.
Tell me about it. Whenever they're on WCIU, the game isn't on MLB Extra Innings, or I usually have to watch the road team's feed. I know this is a stretch, but hopefully in the near future, the Sox can get more games on WGN so I won't have to rely on getting Extra Innings anymore.

PennStater98r
10-16-2006, 05:10 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic759_2.gif

I love this...God Bless Yuengling Lager

Chisox003
10-16-2006, 05:18 PM
YES!!

I'm sooo glad this got us playing in October while the Cubs aren't.

Oh wait....

Foulke You
10-16-2006, 05:24 PM
YES!!

Oh wait....
No, it doesn't help the team directly per se but perception is everything. Perhaps seeing reports like this make the Sox brass be more aggressive on the free agent market because they sense the local tide turning and smell blood in the water.

If anything, info like this certainly provides ammo when a smart mouthed Cub fan starts spewing the old cliches of "always a Cub town" and "nobody in Chicago cares about the Sox". Of course, the picture of me standing next to the World Series trophy usually quiets them too.:cool:

Frontman
10-16-2006, 05:30 PM
It all comes down to having a product that is worth the time for the average viewer to watch. The Cubs haven't been worth watching since 2004, whereas the Sox have gotten progressively, with a minor setback in 2006. While I think the Pinella hiring will get some average viewers attention, if the Cubs come out as flat as they did this year, viewership will go down again to the current levels.

Front

MySoxAreClean
10-16-2006, 07:00 PM
And Chuck Norris reruns came in Second

Scottzilla
10-16-2006, 07:20 PM
this means nothing the cubs having a horrible year and the sox coming off a championship just barely beatting the cubs in the attendance oops i mean tv ratings is not a victory.

it will never be a fair competition because the sox do not have there own newspaper and tv station

GoSox2K3
10-16-2006, 08:16 PM
YES!!

Oh wait....

Anyone who thinks that gaining marketshare in Chicago is not important to the Sox continued success and stability must not know much about Sox history over the last 40 years.

GoSox2K3
10-16-2006, 08:17 PM
this means nothing the cubs having a horrible year and the sox coming off a championship just barely beatting the cubs in the attendance oops i mean tv ratings is not a victory.

it will never be a fair competition because the sox do not have there own newspaper and tv station

You can't change the world overnight. This is great progress by the Sox IMO and they have a golden opportunity to keep up that momentum if they can get back into the playoffs next year.

Kub_Killer_15
10-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Guarantee half of those people watching the Cubs are sleeping by the 5th inning, the National league gets pretty boring after a while.

October26
10-17-2006, 08:41 AM

Sorry to hear that. That would make me mad too. How Do you ge the Sox on cable or satellite or comcast or what?

I'm glad the Sox ratings were high. They have a good product and it's good to see the recognition they have received this past year. It was a great to see all the Sox games on TV (Comcast, The U, WGN and FOX) this year here in Chicago. I enjoyed watching all the games with my family. :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

batmanZoSo
10-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Great stuff. This was a big year for this franchise and, well, we didn't make the playoffs, but it was a good 90 win year. It was successful in the bigger scheme of things, albeit not as successful and we'd hoped. But the tide is turning and it's something to continue to build on.

I still think it's messed up that while we out-rated the cubs this year, we still didn't match their numbers from last year.

Myrtle72
10-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Sorry to hear that. That would make me mad too. How Do you ge the Sox on cable or satellite or comcast or what?

I get the Sox on cable sometimes but I also take advantage of mlb.tv.

It's not great, but way cheaper than satellite.

nasox
10-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Guarantee half of those people watching the Cubs are sleeping by the 5th inning, the National league gets pretty boring after a while.

But the double switches...

rookie
10-17-2006, 06:17 PM

They mentioned it on ESPN this morning. Something to the effect that the Cubs need Pinella and Alex Rodriguez in order to take Chicago back from the White Sox.

DannyCaterFan
10-17-2006, 07:44 PM
They mentioned it on ESPN this morning. Something to the effect that the Cubs need Pinella and Alex Rodriguez in order to take Chicago back from the White Sox.

Let's face it, we may have beat them on ratings this season, but look at what it took for that to happen. The White Sox were coming off a World Series win, while the Cubs floundered in last place. Just being honest here, but can you imagine the hype and ratings for the Flubs if they ever won it all? It took almost a perfect scenerio to overcome the Cubs. Let's hope this new trend continues.

Fake Chet Lemon
10-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Let's face it, we may have beat them on ratings this season, but look at what it took for that to happen. The White Sox were coming off a World Series win, while the Cubs floundered in last place. Just being honest here, but can you imagine the hype and ratings for the Flubs if they ever won it all? It took almost a perfect scenerio to overcome the Cubs...........

All great points. I gotta admit though, I'm still surprised. Two years ago I would have said: No matter what happens, the Cubs will always out TV rating the Sox for at least the next 10 years. I thought Harry Carey built a TV following that was too big, stupid and unstoppable.

sox230
10-17-2006, 09:19 PM
This is why the Cubs caught a HUGE break by the Sox not making the playoffs. The Sox were slowly taking over the city, as also evidenced by empty seats at Wrigley, and making the playoffs, would have made the Sox almost have a starnglehold. It was big not making the playoffs, not only team wise but city wise as well.

Lip Man 1
10-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Agreed.

Lip