PDA

View Full Version : Ballpark Tours

Myrtle72
10-16-2006, 12:17 AM
I was in Boston this past weekend and I went on a tour of Fenway. It was a lot of fun and our tour guide was quite a charcter (lots of Yankee hating going on). We walked around the field a bit and got to look inside the Green Monster, where they change the score board numbers. I particularly enjoyed looking at all the dents on the Green Monster up close.

Has anyone else gone on any ballpark tours like this one? I know a few people who have toured Wrigley and AT&T Park. Any others? Any interesting stories?

HotelWhiteSox
10-16-2006, 12:27 AM
I haven't been on any but would love to. I still want to do the Cell one, I think you can go in the clubhouses and cool stuff like that.

How much was it?

Myrtle72
10-16-2006, 12:44 AM
I haven't been on any but would love to. I still want to do the Cell one, I think you can go in the clubhouses and cool stuff like that.

How much was it?

I would LOVE to tour the Cell - and I'm trying to set that up for when I visit Chicago this winter. Do you (or anyone else) have any info on that?

The tour of Fenway was only $12 per person, much cheaper than I thought it would be. My tour, the tour before mine, and the tour after mine, were all sold out at at least 100 people - so I would imagine they make a decent amount of money on this.

I didn't get to see the clubhouse, but I did get to get a pretty good look at the dugouts and that was awesome. :D:

FedEx227
10-16-2006, 12:49 AM
I would LOVE to tour the Cell - and I'm trying to set that up for when I visit Chicago this winter. Do you (or anyone else) have any info on that?

They have some weird system where you have to be with a big group or something I believe. They have details on WhiteSox.com when you look up tours.

As for tours I've been on, I did a Busch Stadium tour the year before it went down (7/10) and a Miller Park Tour so far but I try to get out to a out-of-town park at least once every summer.

goofymsfan
10-16-2006, 06:47 AM
I've done the guided tours of Kauffman Stadium in KC and Miller Stadium in Milwaukee.

Though I haven't done a guided tour of Safeco field yet, I have been on a self guided tour during Mariner Fanfest. All have been fun. I wish I would have had time to tour the old Busch Stadium.

MeteorsSox4367
10-16-2006, 12:51 PM
When I did the tour at PNC Park in Pittsburgh - which is just an awesome, beautiful ballpark - one of the people on the tour asked where I was from. I told him, 'Chicago.' He then made the assumption that since I was from Chicago and touring a National League park, I must be a Cubs fan. After he was quickly corrected with no punches thrown, we went on and had an enjoyable tour.

They took us underneath, into the batting cages below the stands and onto the field in the right-field corner. I bowed to the wall in right in homage to Clemente.

The Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati was cool, too. They let us spend a little more quality time on the field, and we got to go into the dugout and take pictures. Nice setting, too, right by the Ohio River. I liked some of the Reds' historical stuff such as the mural honoring the Big Red Machine.

When I was in Toronto, I did the Skydome (now Rogers Centre). It was OK, but they didn't let us go on the field because of some HS game. I paid my money, I want to go on the field.

The tour of the Air Canada Centre made up for that, though. Since the tour I was on consisted of my Dad and I, the guide took us into the Leafs' dressing room. The huge blue Leaf on the carpet and on the wall were damn cool. The guide apologized for not taking us into the Raptors' locker room, but I told him I was a hockey fan and could care less about the NBA.

Toronto is just a beautiful place and well worth visiting.

NUCatsFan
10-16-2006, 01:02 PM
I did the tour at Safeco last year. Very cool. Didn't get to go in the clubhouse, though. The M's were playing at home, so the visiting team had their gear in there. Still very cool, though.

Chez
10-16-2006, 01:46 PM
The Yankee Stadium tour is awesome.

skobabe8
10-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Did the Miller Park tour as well. 6 bucks. We didnt get into the clubhouse, but seemed to see every other square inch of the place. I think we even saw the boiler room. :D:

FedEx227
10-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Did the Miller Park tour as well. 6 bucks. We didnt get into the clubhouse, but seemed to see every other square inch of the place. I think we even saw the boiler room. :D:

Oh yeah that was my favorite tour yet you went EVERYWHERE. and $6 you can't beat that.

MUsoxfan
10-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Oh yeah that was my favorite tour yet you went EVERYWHERE. and $6 you can't beat that.

I've been meaning to go on that tour for years, but inevitably whenever I head over there.....there are no tours going on.

Give me an example of some of the "everything" if you could

I want Mags back
10-16-2006, 06:14 PM
toured skydome in aug of '05. it sucked though, because it was set up for canadien football

FedEx227
10-16-2006, 06:54 PM
I've been meaning to go on that tour for years, but inevitably whenever I head over there.....there are no tours going on.

Give me an example of some of the "everything" if you could

I did it two years ago, but it started by going into the VIP Resturant and the entire skybox section, then moved through some other executive areas, then down through the seats onto the field, through the bullpen, through the outfield, then into the dugouts.

I don't remember exactly, maybe someone who took the tour more recently could explain?

SOXintheBURGH
10-16-2006, 09:43 PM
When I did the tour at PNC Park in Pittsburgh - which is just an awesome, beautiful ballpark - one of the people on the tour asked where I was from. I told him, 'Chicago.' He then made the assumption that since I was from Chicago and touring a National League park, I must be a Cubs fan. After he was quickly corrected with no punches thrown, we went on and had an enjoyable tour.

They took us underneath, into the batting cages below the stands and onto the field in the right-field corner. I bowed to the wall in right in homage to Clemente.

The Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati was cool, too. They let us spend a little more quality time on the field, and we got to go into the dugout and take pictures. Nice setting, too, right by the Ohio River. I liked some of the Reds' historical stuff such as the mural honoring the Big Red Machine.

When I was in Toronto, I did the Skydome (now Rogers Centre). It was OK, but they didn't let us go on the field because of some HS game. I paid my money, I want to go on the field.

The tour of the Air Canada Centre made up for that, though. Since the tour I was on consisted of my Dad and I, the guide took us into the Leafs' dressing room. The huge blue Leaf on the carpet and on the wall were damn cool. The guide apologized for not taking us into the Raptors' locker room, but I told him I was a hockey fan and could care less about the NBA.

Toronto is just a beautiful place and well worth visiting.

The best part of Toronto is that on a clear, quiet night you can hear mystical sitar playing from a condo.

Btw, you should have spit on that Leafs logo. The Cubs of the NHL, they are.

Myrtle72
10-16-2006, 09:54 PM
They have some weird system where you have to be with a big group or something I believe. They have details on WhiteSox.com when you look up tours.

Got some info on it if anyone is interested:

Tours of U.S. Cellular Field
How can I schedule a tour of U.S. Cellular Field?
U.S. Cellular Field tours are available for groups of 10 or more on Tuesdays and Fridays - 10:30 a.m. on game days and 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on non-game days. Tours include the home dugout, the press box, the field, the suites and the Stadium Club (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_guide_dir.jsp#StadiumClub). Advance reservations are required. For details and rates, call 312-674-1000.

This can be found at http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_guide_dir.jsp#ToursofUSCELLULARFIELD

You have to scroll down to "T" for tours to find it.

October26
10-17-2006, 08:47 AM
I went on a tour of Miller Park a few years back with my daughter and her 6th grade class. It was really fun and our tour guide was really nice. I couldn't believe how posh and comfortable the locker rooms were. They allowed the kids and teachers and parents to sit in the dugout and also walk onto the field. Miller Park is a beautiful facility.

Wish the Brewers were back in the American League so we could plan trips up there like we did back when County Stadium was around.

nasox
10-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Got some info on it if anyone is interested:

Tours of U.S. Cellular Field
How can I schedule a tour of U.S. Cellular Field?
U.S. Cellular Field tours are available for groups of 10 or more on Tuesdays and Fridays - 10:30 a.m. on game days and 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on non-game days. Tours include the home dugout, the press box, the field, the suites and the Stadium Club (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_guide_dir.jsp#StadiumClub). Advance reservations are required. For details and rates, call 312-674-1000.

This can be found at http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_guide_dir.jsp#ToursofUSCELLULARFIELD

You have to scroll down to "T" for tours to find it.

I took a tour with my Boy Scout troop back in 95, IIRC. Then we saw a game. It was entertaining but I don't remember too much.

We should organize a tour for people from WSI. Maybe roll it in with WSIFest II/COTC III.

Myrtle72
10-17-2006, 09:31 AM
We should organize a tour for people from WSI. Maybe roll it in with WSIFest II/COTC III.

That's a fantastic idea.

nasox
10-17-2006, 10:59 AM
That's a fantastic idea.

It would only be twelve bucks or so extra, would be tons of fun, and if we could work out a deal, maybe get to see a little bit more than the average tour.

The Sox say that tours will only be done with large groups that have reservations, and the best way for most of us to get a large group together is through this website.

MeteorsSox4367
10-17-2006, 11:58 AM
SoxintheBurgh: By saying that the Leafs are the Cubs of the NHL, and by me having the Leafs as one of my two favorite non-Chicago NHL teams (along with your Pens), does that by association make me a Cubs fan?

No. Please. No.

And I didn't catch the sitar reference, either. Little help?

Thanks and Go Sox!

Fenway
10-17-2006, 03:13 PM
The tour of Fenway was only $12 per person, much cheaper than I thought it would be. My tour, the tour before mine, and the tour after mine, were all sold out at at least 100 people - so I would imagine they make a decent amount of money on this.

I didn't get to see the clubhouse, but I did get to get a pretty good look at the dugouts and that was awesome. :D:

I read that last year almost 300,000 took the tour. It has become a must see for any sports loving visitor to Boston.

It sure beats going to Cheers :tongue:

Myrtle72
10-17-2006, 04:59 PM
It sure beats going to Cheers :tongue:

Haha. I actually went to Cheers. The food sucked. Fenway was definately better.

paciorek1983
10-17-2006, 07:17 PM
It would only be twelve bucks or so extra, would be tons of fun, and if we could work out a deal, maybe get to see a little bit more than the average tour.

The Sox say that tours will only be done with large groups that have reservations, and the best way for most of us to get a large group together is through this website.

I'll go. As long as I'm available. Let's do it.

slobes
10-18-2006, 10:13 PM
I couldn't get tickets to a game at Fenway while my family was in Boston this past summer, so we went on a tour but I had a blast anyways. They let us go in the press box and in the green monster seats and everything. Definitely worth doing if you can't get in there for an actual game.

Robb
10-20-2006, 05:25 PM
I was thinking about doing Pittsburgh and Cleveland this year but didn't have alot of time when I was there. Plus I think it was alot of $ for the full tours.