PDA

View Full Version : Uribe wanted in the D.R.

The Wimperoo
10-15-2006, 04:51 PM
From bad translations it seems like Uribe is wanted for shooting two naval officers in the D.R. Can anyone that knows Spanish better than me translate the article?

http://www.elnacional.com.do/article.aspx?id=1134

Domeshot17
10-15-2006, 04:58 PM
WoW. I am more impressed he hit the officers if this is true. His shooting skills must far surpass his batting skills

Scottiehaswheels
10-15-2006, 04:59 PM
I threw that article into a translator and this is what I got...

The campocorto of the White Averages of Chicago (White Sox), Juan Uribe, wounded Friday of various pellets to a commander of the Navy of Italy and to a farmer in the town square of Juan Baron, San Christopher, because they passed very fence to his yipeta, reported yesterday the Police.
The Italian official Dondolín Alessandro, of 41 years, assigned to the Base of the navy in The Kettles, Baní, for humane end, and Antonio González Pérez, they were injured while the Italian official was found eating a "magpie chicken" in the park.

In the incident, occurred to the 11:00 at night of Friday and reported yesterday Saturday al noon, also he was involved the brother of the ballplayer, Elpidio Uribe, according to a note of the Central Board of directors of Criminal Investigations of the Police.

Juan Uribe, that his first name is Juan C. Have Uribe, of 27 years, native of Baní, he yielded this season a salary of three million 150 dollars.
He batted for an average of 235, with 21 home runs, 109 hits, two triples, 28 double and 71 careers pushed in 132 play that participated.
The injured they were cured and attended to in the Hospital Juan Pablo Pina. The Police said that he is after the search of the brothers Uribe.
Alessandro received injuries of pellets in the abdomen, the hands, and other parts, while the farmer González Pérez, that tried to impede the aggression, was injured in the left elbow.

The farmer resides in the street F, in Juan Baron, and the official in The Kettles of Baní.

The Police report says that the official did various shots to be defended of the aggression and they do not know if other people got injured.
The colonel Gabriel Holy Melo and the major Of The Cross Blanquín are responsible for the investigations.

*** is a magpie chicken?

SABRSox
10-15-2006, 05:03 PM
No good can come of this.

zmz723
10-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Can't wait to see the cubune headlines spin this one :rolleyes:

October26
10-15-2006, 05:06 PM

The campocorto of the White Averages of Chicago (White Sox), Juan Uribe, wounded Friday of various pellets to a commander of the Navy of Italy and to a farmer in the town square of Juan Baron, San Christopher, because they passed very fence to his yipeta, reported yesterday the Police.
The Italian official Dondolín Alessandro, of 41 years, assigned to the Base of the navy in The Kettles, Baní, for humane end, and Antonio González Pérez, they were injured while the Italian official was found eating a "magpie chicken" in the park.

In the incident, occurred to the 11:00 at night of Friday and reported yesterday Saturday al noon, also he was involved the brother of the ballplayer, Elpidio Uribe, according to a note of the Central Board of directors of Criminal Investigations of the Police.

Juan Uribe, that his first name is Juan C. Have Uribe, of 27 years, native of Baní, he yielded this season a salary of three million 150 dollars.
He batted for an average of 235, with 21 home runs, 109 hits, two triples, 28 double and 71 careers pushed in 132 play that participated.
The injured they were cured and attended to in the Hospital Juan Pablo Pina. The Police said that he is after the search of the brothers Uribe.
Alessandro received injuries of pellets in the abdomen, the hands, and other parts, while the farmer González Pérez, that tried to impede the aggression, was injured in the left elbow.

The farmer resides in the street F, in Juan Baron, and the official in The Kettles of Baní.

The Police report says that the official did various shots to be defended of the aggression and they do not know if other people got injured.
The colonel Gabriel Holy Melo and the major Of The Cross Blanquín are responsible for the investigations.

*** is a magpie chicken?

This is horrible news regarding Juan Uribe. The correct translation for pica pollo (what your translator calls magpie chicken) is breaded deep fried chicken. It is a common dish served in the Dominican Republic.

What I gathered from reading the article in Spanish (besides the shooting) is that Uribe and his brother are fugitives? This is bad. :(:

I hope this is just a misunderstanding. :(:

Dan the Man
10-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I hope this is nothing like Urbina last year.

35th&Shields
10-15-2006, 05:07 PM
the Italian official was found eating a "magpie chicken" in the park.

*** is a magpie chicken?

I felt like I was having an acid flashback reading that translation. Magpie chickens? Is this some kind of code?

cbone
10-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Juan Uribe, who its christian name is Juan C. Tena Uribe, of 27 years, native of Baní, devengó this season a wage of three million 150 dollars. He batted for average of 235, with quadrangular 21, 109 hits, two triples, 28 doubles and 71 races pushed in 132 games that participated.

What were we paying this guy for?

Scottiehaswheels
10-15-2006, 05:09 PM
I felt like I was having an acid flashback reading that translation. Magpie chickens? Is this some kind of code?HA I know... and why was he eating if he just got shot with pellets? I mean thats gotta be one helluva hunger you have to eat instead of getting pellets taken outta ya...

beckett21
10-15-2006, 05:09 PM
'Yipeta' is not a word I'm familiar with, but it sounds like he shot these two guys for passing too close to it. His brother was also involved.

The Wimperoo
10-15-2006, 05:10 PM
'Yipeta' is not a word I'm familiar with, but it sounds like he shot these two guys for passing too close to it. His brother was also involved.

Someone on Southsidesox blog said that it is slang for SUV.

beckett21
10-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Someone on Southsidesox blog said that it is slang for SUV.

Makes sense.

DumpJerry
10-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Can't wait to see the cubune headlines spin this one :rolleyes:
"Chicago shortstop shoots two men. Since the Cubs have no shortstop, guess who it is"

October26
10-15-2006, 05:19 PM
I just read the article again (Spanish is my native language) and it says that this event occurred on Friday evening at 11 pm.

I wonder why are we just hearing about this now? (Sunday afternoon - almost 2 days later)...

LuvSox
10-15-2006, 05:20 PM
No good can come of this.

We get a new shortstop.

SABRSox
10-15-2006, 05:23 PM
We get a new shortstop.

Yeah, Royce Clayton. Like I said, no good can come of this.

DumpJerry
10-15-2006, 05:23 PM
:borass:
Keep in mind you're talking about one of my clients...............I think.

sox1970
10-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Keep in mind you're talking about one of my clients...............I think.

Martin Arburua (fired Scott Boras after trade to CHW from COL)

The Dude
10-15-2006, 05:29 PM
***??:?:

DeadMoney
10-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Who finds this crap anyway and how the hell did you find it?

Too bad for Juan, and hope it works out for him, but at the same time,
I hope that's $4.15 million we wont be owing him this year. I can find much better ways to spend 4.15 million on this baseball team.

Source for the value of his contract: http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html

23Ventura
10-15-2006, 05:39 PM
That was my reaction as well.

CanBuehrleWait
10-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Oh dear

Trav
10-15-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm still waiting for the punchline, this sounds so odd. Any English links yet?

The Dude
10-15-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm still waiting for the punchline, this sounds so odd. Any English links yet?

Yeah I don't want to believe it until I see some more news feeds about it whether they be in English or Spanish.

southside rocks
10-15-2006, 06:55 PM
He shot the officer with a pellet gun??

This is very bizarre. Nothing from any English-language sources yet, I just checked.

Wow, and Farmio is always talking about how cheerful and easygoing Juan is. If this news story is true, he's more volatile than Ed knows. :?:

hose
10-15-2006, 07:03 PM

Sounds like Steve Lyons interpreted this.

The Dude
10-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Sounds like Steve Lyons interpreted this.

Wow, that was a good one hoser!:redneck

SoxFanPrope
10-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah I don't want to believe it until I see some more news feeds about it whether they be in English or Spanish.
I've been searching as many websites I can think of, and nothing yet.

Maybe this is from, "The Cebolla."

Britt Burns
10-15-2006, 07:15 PM
This won't help his trade value...I think I may be the only one left, but I still would like to see Uribe back next year. He was poor at the plate and moody, but he throws great leather at short.

TaylorStSox
10-15-2006, 07:28 PM
This won't help his trade value...I think I may be the only one left, but I still would like to see Uribe back next year. He was poor at the plate and moody, but he throws great leather at short.

Agreed. Regardless of what anyone says, we aren't going to get a guy out there to hit 20 HR's and drive in 70 runs from the 9 hole, while playing excellent defense in this market.

goon
10-15-2006, 07:38 PM
i like juan and this obviously awful news, though i couldn't help but laugh when i read that the police are in "search of the brothers uribe."

jenn2080
10-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Classy!

Chips
10-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Classy!

:hawk
"I love one-word replies to run up a post count."

:DJ
"Aw partner, you know she's gonna go out there and type in one word just to run it up."

"Oh yeah."

"Did you ever play with a manager that let you do that? Or did that himself?"

"Well, when I was playing for Alvin Dark in Kansas City, I remember one day after the game I came back in to the lockerroom, and an old pitcher you might remember, DJ, was Sudden Sam McDowell. And Sam had just had a rough outing...gave up 7 or 8 runs, and Alvin had to pull him after four innings. The Twins had just run on him left and right too, they were running whenever they had a chance because Sam couldn't keep anybody on base. Anyway, after the game I go back to the clubhouse and Sam was sitting there having a cigarette...this was after Dick Williams had been fired. But, Sam was sitting there, and Alvin came up to him and said, 'Sam, if you're gonna go out there and not throw over to first base, at least let me know. We'll call a pitch-out or something.' And Sam just looked up at him...and you have to know Sam, because he had a carmine derriere if anybody ever had one. So, Sam looks up at Alvin and says, 'Alvin, I walked seven guys today, hit a guy, threw two wild pitches and couldn't grab a strike to save my life, and you want me to pitch out?'"

(anxiously awaiting the punchline)

"And Alvin looks back at him and says, 'nevermind'."

:DJ :hawk
(mutual laughing)

(wiping tears from his eyes)
"Aw, partner. You got to love the one word replies."

I'm only joking Jenn.

drftnaway
10-15-2006, 07:55 PM
I honestly cannot tell if this is a serious thread or not.
Is it?

SoxSpeed22
10-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Is it?On and off, I would say.
If this is as serious as it first looks like, then this will make KW's activity during the offseason a lot tougher, because this will cuff him if he wants to trade Juan.

DeadMoney
10-15-2006, 08:01 PM
On and off, I would say.
If this is as serious as it first looks like, then this will make KW's activity during the offseason a lot tougher, because this will cuff him if he wants to trade Juan.

I suppose if Juan goes to jail in the D.R., the Sox may be able to void his contract. If not, then we are in trouble and stuck with Juan.

drftnaway
10-15-2006, 08:05 PM
On and off, I would say.

I find nothing on any wire news source that mentions this. Nothing in current dominican republic news.

Myrtle72
10-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Just curious...

if this happened friday, why is it not in an American/Chicago newspaper yet? You would think they'd be all over this.

HotelWhiteSox
10-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Very weird, guess we'll have to wait to here more, nothing on Italian news outlets either. Very much doubt it is anything like Urbina's deal, but what happens to him depends on a lot that we don't know right now.

Jimmy Rollins anyone? Maybe we can also get Rowand in that deal and put him in left.

HotelWhiteSox
10-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Is it?

Shooting someone with a pellet gun on a naval base while eating chicken, sounds fishy, but who knows. The site doesn't seem like a satire site or anything

Kizzy08
10-15-2006, 08:26 PM
This is TOO funny from rotoworld:

" Juan Uribe and his brother reportedly shot and injured two men in the Dominican Republic on Friday.
The men who were shot have already been released from the hospital. According to the report, Uribe opened fire, perhaps in self defense, after the men approached his vehicle. An investigation is ongoing. Asked to comment on the incident, Steve Lyons said he wanted all four men searched in case they stole his wallet."

cbotnyse
10-15-2006, 09:07 PM

That was my reaction as well.me too. Is this from The Onion or something? You're telling me Uribe shot somebody and is now a fugitive? :?:

23Ventura
10-15-2006, 09:10 PM
me too. Is this from The Onion or something? You're telling me Uribe shot somebody and is now a fugitive? :?:
And the strangest part of it is that this is the first we've heard of it. If this story is true, why wouldn't we have found out about this sooner?

DeadMoney
10-15-2006, 09:16 PM
This is TOO funny from rotoworld:

" Juan Uribe and his brother reportedly shot and injured two men in the Dominican Republic on Friday.
The men who were shot have already been released from the hospital. According to the report, Uribe opened fire, perhaps in self defense, after the men approached his vehicle. An investigation is ongoing. Asked to comment on the incident, Steve Lyons said he wanted all four men searched in case they stole his wallet."

For a second, I thought you were joking, so I looked it up. Link:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=MLB

Wow.

October26
10-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Just curious...

if this happened friday, why is it not in an American/Chicago newspaper yet? You would think they'd be all over this.

This was my exact point at 4:19 pm today (earlier in this thread) when I first heard this story. There has been nothing about this on the radio or tv or the internet. This is weird.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Is this from The Onion or something? You're telling me Uribe shot somebody and is now a fugitive?

This is true. It's up on rotoworld, which has been very good with rumors: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3242

Gregory Pratt
10-15-2006, 09:23 PM
This is amazing news.

I hope Uribe can get off without being arrested, because then we can trade him or, if we can't replace him with someone worth a damn, keep him.

SABRSox
10-15-2006, 09:31 PM
"I love one-word replies to run up a post count."

"Aw partner, you know she's gonna go out there and type in one word just to run it up."

Now, you know what I call runnin' up a post count? Starting a thread called "Ask Chips." :cool:

chisoxmike
10-15-2006, 09:32 PM
I find this story pretty hard to believe. I'm going to wait and see on this one.

I do find it fascinating that some people are just commenting on "how this hurts his trade value" or "how we're going to have to upgrade at shortstop now.":rolleyes:

35th&Shields
10-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Shooting someone with a pellet gun on a naval base while eating chicken, sounds fishy, but who knows. The site doesn't seem like a satire site or anything

Great recap. The image of the "Brothers Uribe" driving around in a Dominican SUV shooting people while they eat chicken is an image I can't get out of my head. I'd love to see a dramatic re-enactment of this incident, but in cartoon format. Or maybe claymation. That they found the guy who had been shot eating chicken in the jungle, and that was a fact worth reporting, is almost more than I can handle.

I put the likelihood that this story ends up being true at about 11%.

chaotic8512
10-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Do you think the Rotoworld newswire people found this article through WSI? Wouldn't surprise me, really... seems odd WSI is the first English website (that I could find, anyway) to break the story... kudos to the original poster for keeping us aware three hours before anyone else could.

Whether it's a true story or not is still in question, yes... I do hope it's false though. :(:

Lorenzo Barcelo
10-15-2006, 09:55 PM
How was this article even found by the first poster? Was he/she scanning scanning spanish speaking websites? Just curious

Trav
10-15-2006, 10:11 PM
I google-sports-newsed Juan Uribe and nothing about that comes up. I think it's false.

HotelWhiteSox
10-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Do you think the Rotoworld newswire people found this article through WSI? Wouldn't surprise me, really... seems odd WSI is the first English website (that I could find, anyway) to break the story... kudos to the original poster for keeping us aware three hours before anyone else could.

Whether it's a true story or not is still in question, yes... I do hope it's false though. :(:

Could be, their source is the same link from the original post here

SABRSox
10-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Could be, their source is the same link from the original post here

I write for a different fantasy sports website about the White Sox, and honestly, a lot of the information I get comes from here. Of course, I try to confirm all of it, but this place is pretty dead on most of the time.

That's because we're the smartest fans in baseball. :supernana:

cbotnyse
10-15-2006, 10:32 PM
How was this article even found by the first poster? Was he/she scanning scanning spanish speaking websites? Just curiousI am wondering this too. (to the OP) When, were, why and how the hell did you find this article???

paciorek1983
10-15-2006, 10:35 PM
We did need some nicknames on this team. Shooter--anyone?

SABRSox
10-15-2006, 10:39 PM

There is only one Shooter:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/djrecon83/mcgavin0ca.jpg

chaotic8512
10-15-2006, 10:44 PM
That's because we're the smartest fans in baseball. :supernana:

:nod:

Truer words were never spoken. Wait... except maybe these:

"A White Sox winner, and a world championship!"

Trav
10-15-2006, 10:45 PM
I aquired a spanish speaker to check out article but it won't work for me. Is it working for anyone else?

Myrtle72
10-15-2006, 10:59 PM
This was my exact point at 4:19 pm today (earlier in this thread) when I first heard this story. There has been nothing about this on the radio or tv or the internet. This is weird.

Yeah, I'm still stuck on this.

I mean... if WE heard about it, the Chicago media must have. If it's true, I can't imagine why they wouldn't report something on it. It's been three days.

FedEx227
10-15-2006, 11:10 PM
The campocorto of the White Averages of Chicago

You would sound like a hell of a baseball purist if you busted this lingo out.

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-15-2006, 11:23 PM

how about shoota?

Myrtle72
10-15-2006, 11:29 PM
how about shoota?

I believe the proper spelling for that is, "shootah."

Chips
10-15-2006, 11:35 PM
I believe the proper spelling for that is, "shootah."

shoota is an old poster who hated Joe Crede.

You can see one of his fantastic posts in Taylor St. Sox' sig.

The Wimperoo
10-15-2006, 11:36 PM
I didn't find the article. It was posted on Soxtalk and SouthsideSox earlier this afternoon and I figured I would post it here. Who knows what the hell is going on with this. I figured it seemed interesting enough that people would want to know about it.

Myrtle72
10-15-2006, 11:40 PM
shoota is an old poster who hated Joe Crede.

You can see one of his fantastic posts in Taylor St. Sox' sig.

Aaaah.

Why hate on Crede?

And I think I'm going to wait for Chicago newspapers to report on this before I believe it.

Jjav829
10-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Damn, this is pretty ****ed up.

According to a police report, Uribe and his brother, Elpidio, thought the victims had walked too close to their Jeep. Dondolin Alessandro, 41, a captain in the Italian Navy, suffered wounds to his stomach and hands. Antonio Gonzalez Perez, a farmer who tried to intervene, suffered a left-elbow injury, according to the paper.

Uribe shot a captain in the Italian Navy? :?:

I don't know what to make of this yet. :?:

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061015uribewhitesox,1,8466.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

batmanZoSo
10-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Juan Uribe, who its christian name is Juan C. Tena Uribe, of 27 years, native of Baní, devengó this season a wage of three million 150 dollars. He batted for average of 235, with quadrangular 21, 109 hits, two triples, 28 doubles and 71 races pushed in 132 games that participated.

Did Uribe really have 21 quadrangles?

rookie
10-15-2006, 11:53 PM
The media has it now...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061015uribewhitesox,1,8466.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Edit - sorry didn't see the earlier link.

23Ventura
10-16-2006, 12:00 AM
That's pretty impressive, 21 quadrangles while pushing in 71 races. But the most interesting stat for me is all of those games he had that participated.

CLR01
10-16-2006, 12:02 AM
The media has it now...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061015uribewhitesox,1,8466.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Edit - sorry didn't see the earlier link.

WSI scoops the media again??? I am shocked.

What a surprise the media uses WSI to write their stories once again.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/bye.gif Juan

FedEx227
10-16-2006, 12:05 AM

When you really dolly up the digits he was quite the servicable campocorto for the Averages.

Any lad who can push 71 races is more than capable of participating on my townball squadron.

batmanZoSo
10-16-2006, 12:15 AM
When you really dolly up the digits he was quite the servicable campocorto for the Averages.

Any lad who can push 71 races is more than capable of participating on my townball squadron.

Old Juan "two feet" Uribe is quite a serviceable glovesman and hitsman. Let's hope these apocryphal allegations are rendered fallacious so that we may see him again on our quadrate, dazzling our townspeople with his fine leatherwork and round-trippers.

Myrtle72
10-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061015uribewhitesox,1,8466.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Aaaah... there's the link I was waiting for.

That freggin' sucks.

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-16-2006, 12:27 AM
Old Juan "two feet" Uribe is quite a serviceable glovesman and hitsman. Let's hope these apocryphal allegations are rendered fallacious so that we may see him again on our quadrate, dazzling our townspeople with his fine leatherwork and round-trippers.

Alright Horsemaster....

DumpJerry
10-16-2006, 01:38 AM
This is true. It's up on rotoworld, which has been very good with rumors: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3242

How did Lyons get mentioned in the Rotoworld story???

FedEx227
10-16-2006, 01:41 AM
How did Lyons get mentioned in the Rotoworld story???

They sometimes joke around which is more than likely what they did in this one. But Lyons is a crazy ass guy he probably murmered it to himself anyway.

StatHead21
10-16-2006, 02:39 AM
"Chicago shortstop shoots two men. Since the Cubs have no shortstop, guess who it is"

Izturis is better than Uribe....

goon
10-16-2006, 03:23 AM

meh. it's pretty much a wash, i'll take uribe's pop though.

Grzegorz
10-16-2006, 05:36 AM
I just heard the story on a Chicago radio station during a news break. Right up to the detail Jjav829 posted.

Lets see how this shakes out, but the severity of the assault and the negative publicity surrounding this incident will put the Chicago White Sox management in a position of weakness, not strength.

soxfanatlanta
10-16-2006, 07:46 AM
"Juan said everything is fine and not to worry," said Arburua, adding that Uribe was more concerned about the construction on one of his properties in the Dominican.

I think that his priorities are a tad bit out of whack, no?

itsnotrequired
10-16-2006, 07:55 AM
I really need to get the internet at home. This is the first I've heard about this. ***?

jenn2080
10-16-2006, 08:09 AM
I really need to get the internet at home. This is the first I've heard about this. ***?

It was a pellet gun. No one died. There are not even charges being held against him or his brother.

cbotnyse
10-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Alright Horsemaster....I'd love to hear his thoughts on this.

Frontman
10-16-2006, 08:34 AM
The story just was on WGN. A pellet gun shot at trespassers. But I would like to hear how it all shakes out before I worry what KW has to do to replace or how it hurts the possibilities to trade him.

Front

esbrechtel
10-16-2006, 09:11 AM
i couldnt believe it when i read it in the paper this morning....glad to see it was only a pellet gun and no one has died...

lumpyspun
10-16-2006, 09:36 AM
The most interesting part of this is that Italy has a Navy...

roylestillman
10-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Scoring at home?

E-6.

batmanZoSo
10-16-2006, 09:45 AM
"Uribe and his brother thought the victims walked too close to their Jeep?" :?:

These details are as bizarre and ambiguous as the story itself.

:uribe:
I shot the captain. But I swear it was in self-defense.
It was a glorified version of a pellet gun.

TDog
10-16-2006, 09:51 AM
In the Dominican Republic some years ago, a White Sox baseball player beat a woman with rum bottles and escaped punishment. In 1973, Cesar Cedeno killed a woman in the Dominican Republic, was fined 100 pesos and showed up for spring training as if nothing had happened.

Frontman
10-16-2006, 10:07 AM
The most interesting part of this is that Italy has a Navy...

Well, they do have water on 3 sides of their country. It would me more surprising to me to see a landlocked country have one. :wink:

Front

roylestillman
10-16-2006, 10:13 AM
In the Dominican Republic some years ago, a White Sox baseball player beat a woman with rum bottles and escaped punishment. In 1973, Cesar Cedeno killed a woman in the Dominican Republic, was fined 100 pesos and showed up for spring training as if nothing had happened.

The gent with the rum bottle? I believe that would be Sammy Sosa. Charges dismissed.

kevin57
10-16-2006, 10:22 AM
It may sound weird that someone was (allegedly) shot for being too close to a car. In that part of the world, this is not strange at all (sadly). In places like Honduras, stopping at a STOP sign is an invitation for robbers to assault and carjack. Chaos, and no rule of law.

kitekrazy
10-16-2006, 10:22 AM
I find this story pretty hard to believe. I'm going to wait and see on this one.

I do find it fascinating that some people are just commenting on "how this hurts his trade value" or "how we're going to have to upgrade at shortstop now.":rolleyes:

We tend to think the justice system in America is universal. It could be anything. Maybe they thought people were trying to steal the vehicle. Some parts of the world are not so civil.

kitekrazy
10-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Lets see how this shakes out, but the severity of the assault and the negative publicity surrounding this incident will put the Chicago White Sox management in a position of weakness, not strength.

How so?

Grzegorz
10-16-2006, 10:38 AM
I just heard the story on a Chicago radio station during a news break. Right up to the detail Jjav829 posted.

How so?

The negative publicity will follow immediately upon the release of this story, it is only natural.

The severity of the incident is apparent because of the assault with a deadly weapon.

The Chicago White Sox are dealing from a position of weakness and not one of strength because until this incident is resolved no other MLB team would be in their right mind in dealing for Uribe.

So if the Chicago White Sox planned to use Uribe in trade talks I see the Chicago White Sox altering their plans until this situation is resolved.

hose
10-16-2006, 11:07 AM
It will probably turn out to be a paint ball gun when all is said and done.

Jjav829
10-16-2006, 11:58 AM
It will probably turn out to be a paint ball gun when all is said and done.

What gun? Uribe's arm is so strong he was just throwing the pellets. :smile:

KyWhiSoxFan
10-16-2006, 12:05 PM
The Chicago White Sox are dealing from a position of weakness and not one of strength because until this incident is resolved no other MLB team would be in their right mind in dealing for Uribe.

So if the Chicago White Sox planned to use Uribe in trade talks I see the Chicago White Sox altering their plans until this situation is resolved.

I thought KW's comments were interesting near the end of the season when he was talking about Uribe. He said Uribe was undervalued. To me that indicated he wanted to get more for Uribe than he was hearing or thinking he could get. With this thrown into the mix, he really will be undervalued by other GMs.

stl_sox_fan
10-16-2006, 12:15 PM

http://www.hellomynameisscott.com/photos/jeep.jpg

White Sox Randy
10-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I heard the story differently.

The article that I read said that Steve Lyons was showing Uribe how to improve his plate discipline when Lyons noticed that his wallet was missing.

Just then, Lou Piniella said something in Spanish. Lyons decided to "fire" at the suspicious looking men after he heard Lou say that Placido Palanco was "en fuego".

I can't find the link right now.

In an unrelated story, police are reporting the finding of a pair of White Sox baseball pants, circa 1988, with a wallet in the back pocket. A picture of Terry Bevington was found inside the wallet along with a note about a kitchen appliance - it said "call Sammy for juicer info. "

Oblong
10-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Is that source paper the Spanish version of the Tribune?

The campocorto of the White Averages of Chicago (White Sox),

nasox
10-16-2006, 02:04 PM
What gun? Uribe's arm is so strong he was just throwing the pellets. :smile:

He does have a cannon...

kitekrazy
10-16-2006, 02:15 PM
The negative publicity will follow immediately upon the release of this story, it is only natural.

The severity of the incident is apparent because of the assault with a deadly weapon.

We are talking about Jaun Uribe here. He's not a big name player.

You are blowing this way out of proportion with very little evidence.

I don't think any GM has Jaun Uribe high on their list as a must get guy. So I don't know where you come with the position of strenght or weakness. Only Sox fans are enamored with his 20Hrs, 70 RBIs, not GMs. His discipline at the plate and floating around .230 is another thing.

Chez
10-16-2006, 02:20 PM
If it turns out that Juan shot a guy with a pellet gun for walking too closely to his SUV, then he SHOULD go to jail. Sorry for the old school attitude, but lawlessness is lawlessness regardless of who you play for, how strong your arm is or how it might impact your trade value.

kitekrazy
10-16-2006, 02:32 PM
If it turns out that Juan shot a guy with a pellet gun for walking too closely to his SUV, then he SHOULD go to jail. Sorry for the old school attitude, but lawlessness is lawlessness regardless of who you play for, how strong your arm is or how it might impact your trade value.

What makes you so sure it's lawlessness?

Chez
10-16-2006, 02:35 PM
What makes you so sure it's lawlessness?

I'm no expert in Dominican law, but I've got a hunch that shooting someone for simply walking too close to your SUV just might be a crime.

Oblong
10-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Great recap. The image of the "Brothers Uribe" driving around in a Dominican SUV shooting people while they eat chicken is an image I can't get out of my head. I'd love to see a dramatic re-enactment of this incident, but in cartoon format. Or maybe claymation. That they found the guy who had been shot eating chicken in the jungle, and that was a fact worth reporting, is almost more than I can handle.

Thanks. I'm sitting here laughing at my desk and when people ask "What's so funny", all I can say do is try to explain it which only makes it worse.

This has Jim Rome written all over it.

goon
10-16-2006, 03:02 PM

by walking too close to his jeep, i think they meant that juan and his brother believed that someone was going to steal their car, not just some act of bravado or ego or something like that. i've never been to the dominican republic, but it doesn't sound like the safest place in the world and if it was in fact a pellet gun, then there is no reason anyone should be put in jail. pellet guns are hardly dangerous.

nasox
10-16-2006, 03:05 PM
by walking too close to his jeep, i think they meant that juan and his brother believed that someone was going to steal their car, not just some act of bravado or ego or something like that. i've never been to the dominican republic, but it doesn't sound like the safest place in the world and if it was in fact a pellet gun, then there is no reason anyone should be put in jail. pellet guns are hardly dangerous.

There's a joke about a certain Vice President around somewhere, but I don't want to get banned. :cool:

Myrtle72
10-16-2006, 03:16 PM
and if it was in fact a pellet gun, then there is no reason anyone should be put in jail. pellet guns are hardly dangerous.

Well, they can be lethal if you try hard enough.

but, I guess almost anything could be lethal if you try hard enough.

Flight #24
10-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Update from the ST online:
Uribe's agent, Martin Arburua, told the Sun-Times that he had spoken to Uribe and that the 27-year-old shortstop was not involved in the incident and already had spoken to police.

''I spoke to a very reliable guy I have in the Dominican, and then I talked to Juan directly,'' Arburua said. ''[Juan] said there was an altercation between an Italian guy at the beach adjacent from his property and said that he had nothing to do with it. ''Juan had spoken to police. I know that he is not hiding from anyone, and he and his family are fine. He didn't seem upset or anything like that. He said he had nothing to do with it and everything was fine.''

Chez
10-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Update from the ST online:

It would be mildly humorous if the shooter turned out to be be former Giant's shortstop Jose Uribe. Or O.J.

Iwritecode
10-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Well, they can be lethal if you try hard enough.

but, I guess almost anything could be lethal if you try hard enough.

Maybe if he threw the gun at the guy and it hit him in the head at just the right spot...

A friend of mine had a pellet gun when we were younger. He shot an aluminum can from a few inches away and it barely dented it.

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2006, 03:57 PM
A friend of mine had a pellet gun when we were younger. He shot an aluminum can from a few inches away and it barely dented it.There are pellet guns and then there are pellet guns. Some are not much more than toys, and some are designed for serious competition and develop some real muzzle velocity.

mccoydp
10-16-2006, 04:17 PM

These details are as bizarre and ambiguous as the story itself.

:uribe:
I shot the captain. But I swear it was in self-defense.
It was a glorified version of a pellet gun.

My Dominican co-worker said they probably meant SUV, as "yipeta" is a term used for sport utility vehicles in the D.R.

That threw me for a loop at first; I just pictured an old WWII jeep for some reason.

Daver
10-16-2006, 04:18 PM
There are pellet guns and then there are pellet guns. Some are not much more than toys, and some are designed for serious competition and develop some real muzzle velocity.

Yep.

I have one that will go through a cat at twenty feet.

TDog
10-16-2006, 04:26 PM
The gent with the rum bottle? I believe that would be Sammy Sosa. Charges dismissed.

That is my point. Players have been in trouble in the Dominican Republic in past offseasons without consequence to their careers. In Cedeno's case, a woman died, and he was charged with the equivalent of second-degree murder. I don't even see mention of any charges against Uribe.

maurice
10-16-2006, 04:47 PM
So the Trib takes an inconclusive article that says that Uribe OR his brother shot some guys with a pellet gun because he felt threatened and translates it into:
- "Sox shortstop reportedly involved in shooting"
- Potential perpetrators = "two victims"
- No mention that it was a pellet gun, though
Gonzales must have seen this in the article

I initially thought that George was a little rough on Mark Gonzales in his front-page article, but this changed my mind. To quote a great American, "Go cover the Cubs, you loser."

soxwon
10-16-2006, 05:01 PM

Keep Uribe- He can Wash AROD's Mercedes!!!!!

kitekrazy
10-16-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm no expert in Dominican law

You made that obvious. Maybe the Dominican law is not anything similar to U.S. law. In America you can break into someone's house with the intent to steal, hurt yourself and pursue litigation.

Maybe in the Dominican if someone is getting close to your vehicle, it's assumed there are no good intentions.

goon
10-16-2006, 05:59 PM
There are pellet guns and then there are pellet guns. Some are not much more than toys, and some are designed for serious competition and develop some real muzzle velocity.

yeah, kinda like that automatic pellet gun in lost in translation. though, i believe the purpose of those guns, or at least when they are used for protection, are to stun the assailant or make them fall down and say, "ouch, what kind of pellet gun is that?" there is a significant difference between a pellet gun and say...i don't know a glock or a sig. if this turns out to be a self-defense situation, juan should be fine.

Jerko
10-16-2006, 07:14 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9731185

or as this headline says, warrent. I guess it's official.

soxwon
10-16-2006, 07:53 PM
i HEAR IT NOW WAS A water pistol.
"Si Senor- Agua Pistola"

mjmcend
10-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Yep.

I have one that will go through a cat at twenty feet.

Are you speaking from experience, becuase PETA might have something to day about that.

Not me mind you, I hate cats, but PETA might.

wassagstdu
10-16-2006, 07:57 PM
So this may turn out to be nothing at all. But the way some of "us" jumped to negative or callous conclusions about is revealing and not flattering.

Daver
10-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Are you speaking from experience, becuase PETA might have something to day about that.

Not me mind you, I hate cats, but PETA might.

PETA can kiss my ass, I do more to help wildlife on a daily basis than they ever will.

mjmcend
10-16-2006, 08:18 PM
PETA can kiss my ass, I do more to help wildlife on a daily basis than they ever will.

I don't doubt that. Lets just say the PETA is not on the list of organizations to which I donate either.

SluggersAway
10-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Uribe, through his agent, denies any role in shooting:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/98642,cst-spt-soxuribe16.article

Lorenzo Barcelo
10-16-2006, 10:07 PM
The updated version on rotoworld says it was with a shotgun and a pistol and not a pellet gun. There is a link there from the AP so yeah...

Grzegorz
10-16-2006, 10:38 PM
We are talking about Jaun Uribe here. He's not a big name player.

You are blowing this way out of proportion with very little evidence.

I don't think any GM has Jaun Uribe high on their list as a must get guy. So I don't know where you come with the position of strenght or weakness. Only Sox fans are enamored with his 20Hrs, 70 RBIs, not GMs. His discipline at the plate and floating around .230 is another thing.

Correct, he's not a big time player but this story is still unfolding.

Any team dealing for this guy, either alone or in a package, before the facts are known have to rank up there in the all time idiot category.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-16-2006, 10:43 PM
There's an article on whitesox.com saying an arrest warrent was issued for Uribe. That doesn't sound good to me.

soxchick20
10-16-2006, 10:54 PM
There's an article on whitesox.com saying an arrest warrent was issued for Uribe. That doesn't sound good to me.

yeah, just read the article. Warrant for Uribe, he's denying everything, says he's not involved with any shooting.

KyWhiSoxFan
10-16-2006, 11:24 PM
If Uribe had tried to hit him with a bat instead of a pellet gun, he would not be in this mess.

Lip Man 1
10-17-2006, 12:17 AM
The Tribune story seems to be a tad different:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061016sox,1,5427123.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

goon
10-17-2006, 02:37 AM
i can see juan uribe in the dominican countryside, hiding in a foxhole with a case of bottled water and enough beans to last for months... or at least until spring training.

Frontman
10-17-2006, 08:17 AM
i can see juan uribe in the dominican countryside, hiding in a foxhole with a case of bottled water and enough beans to last for months... or at least until spring training.

I'm pretty sure that the Dominican authorities knows where Juan works. :wink:

Wait, wasn't there talk about moving the spring training facilities? It's all a conspiracy!!! Ozzie, Kenny, and Jerry KNEW Juan was going to do this!!!!

Jurr
10-17-2006, 08:33 AM
This really sucks. I've got about 400 large tied up into Uribe and Pods jerseys and they gone.

All the talk about quadrangles and races pushed in makes it so much better, though! Gotta love the warped minds on this site. :bandance:

Chez
10-17-2006, 08:50 AM
You made that obvious. Maybe the Dominican law is not anything similar to U.S. law. In America you can break into someone's house with the intent to steal, hurt yourself and pursue litigation.

Maybe in the Dominican if someone is getting close to your vehicle, it's assumed there are no good intentions.

True. Maybe. And maybe (and more likely) if you shoot someone with a pellet gun in the D.R. for simply walking too close to your SUV (which is all we have been told at this point), you get charged with aggravated assault. Maybe. But then again you seem to have some background in Dominican law so why don't you tell us how close is "too close" before you can lawfully shoot someone for approaching your car in the D.R?

soxfan13
10-17-2006, 10:36 AM
The Tribune story seems to be a tad different:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061016sox,1,5427123.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

Its the same in the Sun-times this morning

wilburaga
10-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Juan should just say he was shooting at some quail.

W

Gavin
10-17-2006, 12:18 PM
We done gone and made cnn.com's front page, ya'll.

soxinem1
10-17-2006, 02:01 PM

He can't, he's hiding in my basement!!!!

soltrain21
10-17-2006, 02:04 PM
www.wordupthome.com

He appears innocent to me. Jim says so.

goon
10-17-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Dominican authorities knows where Juan works. :wink:

Wait, wasn't there talk about moving the spring training facilities? It's all a conspiracy!!! Ozzie, Kenny, and Jerry KNEW Juan was going to do this!!!!

don't you think the white sox have a gps bug implanted in uribe's head?

when it's time for him to report to spring training, reinsdorf and kw will hire a group of kick-ass mercanaries to storm the beaches of the dominican republic, find juan lying low, get him across the country "taking out" who ever they have to in order for juan to get aboard a ship back to the usa where he will be playing shortstop for the white sox in 2007. it's so simple.

"we lost a lot of good men back there juan... you better make damn sure you improve your batting average"

Huisj
10-17-2006, 03:09 PM
New story up on ESPN that says he appeared at a courthouse for questioning today, and on his way out he shoved some camera men from Univision and ESPN. :(:

He says he wasn't there when it happened, and the other guys says he knows it was Uribe who shot him after they got into an argument. very strange.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2629616

Ol' No. 2
10-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Not to sound crass, but doesn't this whole thing sound like the beginning of a joke?

A baseball player, a Dominican farmer and a captain in the Italian navy get into an argument...

batmanZoSo
10-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Not to sound crass, but doesn't this whole thing sound like the beginning of a joke?

A baseball player, a Dominican farmer and a captain in the Italian navy get into an argument...

Yes, he went there.

:bandance:

Mickster
10-17-2006, 03:29 PM

....... and Uribe exclaimed "THIS IS FOR CHICAGO!" and threw the Cub fan off the cliff.

DeadMoney
10-17-2006, 03:30 PM
New story up on ESPN that says he appeared at a courthouse for questioning today, and on his way out he shoved some camera men from Univision and ESPN. :(:

Oh boy.

First he supposidly shoots a guy, then he goes Kenny Rogers on a camera man. Sounds to me like Juan is a little frustrated right now.

Lip Man 1
10-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Link to updated story. Juan questioned and released. Lawyer says he wasn't in the area...farmer says he was. Could it be extortion for money?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061017soxuribe,1,130245.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

itsnotrequired
10-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Link to updated story. Juan questioned and released. Lawyer says he wasn't in the area...farmer says he was. Could it be extortion for money?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061017soxuribe,1,130245.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

It is up on whitesox.com as well.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061017&content_id=1715649&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

DumpJerry
10-17-2006, 05:02 PM

Lip
:farmer
Well, I think I saw him in the area. By the way, Chris, have I told you how excited I am at the prospect of A-Rod being in a White Sox uni next year?

ajismyhero
10-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Has anyone questioned what Dominican Farmer and Italian Navy Captain were doing together? Seems fishy to me........

And was it a pellet gun or a pistol? Maybe a Red Rider?

oeo
10-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Has anyone questioned what Dominican Farmer and Italian Navy Captain were doing together? Seems fishy to me........

And was it a pellet gun or a pistol? Maybe a Red Rider?

This story is just weird...sounds like what Lip said: extortion.

JB98
10-17-2006, 06:05 PM
This story is just weird...sounds like what Lip said: extortion.

I'm going to join the crowd that thinks this is an extortion attempt. If I were Uribe, I'd throw the damn camera man out of the way too. **** 'em.

Trav
10-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Oh boy.

First he supposidly shoots a guy, then he goes Kenny Rogers on a camera man. Sounds to me like Juan is a little frustrated right now.

Yeah that's the same thing...

maurice
10-17-2006, 08:22 PM
"Uribe was the one who shot me. We just exchanged words and he was really upset without reason," said Gonzalez, a 44-year-old San Cristobal farmer who suffered an elbow injury and filed a civil suit against the ballplayer.

Perhaps Lip is on to something. First it was a pellet gun. Now it's a handgun and a shotgun. Both "victims" were shot (in the elbow, hands, and stomach) with the mystery weapon, but they were treated and released. A "victim" conveniently is convinced that the guy who shot him was the millionaire baseball player and not his brother or bodyguard.

Ambulance Chasing 101: Ignore the other fellows and go after the deep pocket.

maurice
10-17-2006, 08:27 PM
A couple of other points:
- If the police had a solid case against Juan, I seriously doubt that they'd let him leave the station
- Pushing a cameraman can mean a lot of things; let's see the video before we decide it = Kenny Rogers

DickAllen72
10-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Juan questioned and released. Lawyer says he wasn't in the area...farmer says he was. Could it be extortion for money?
Lip

Probably.

TDog
10-17-2006, 10:09 PM
I honestly don't know what happened, but I know that ballplayers have literally gotten away with murder during offseasons in the Dominican Republic. I don't expect Juan Uribe to go to prison. He may even be totally innocent.

I don't even care if he shoved a camera man, because I don't consider that a bad thing in this context. I'll wait to see how it plays out, but I can't imagine this hurting his career.

Fans generally refuse to believe bad actions or character traits about players they like. My father's second wife was a big Mickey Mantle fan. When Ball Four came out and excerpts revealed that Jim Bouton talked about Mantle closing the team bus window on the hands of kids reaching in to get his autograph, my step-mother was certain Bouton was lying. Some fans here, though, seem to be expecting the worst.

Lip Man 1
10-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Kenny tonight at White Sox.com brought up the same point about 'pointing the finger at the richest man in the room.'

Lip

Wsoxmike59
10-18-2006, 07:12 AM
I heard the story differently.

The article that I read said that Steve Lyons was showing Uribe how to improve his plate discipline when Lyons noticed that his wallet was missing.

Just then, Lou Piniella said something in Spanish. Lyons decided to "fire" at the suspicious looking men after he heard Lou say that Placido Palanco was "en fuego".

I can't find the link right now.

In an unrelated story, police are reporting the finding of a pair of White Sox baseball pants, circa 1988, with a wallet in the back pocket. A picture of Terry Bevington was found inside the wallet along with a note about a kitchen appliance - it said "call Sammy for juicer info. "

http://www.harrythecat.com/graphics/m/hyena1.gif

Well done Randy! :D:

gobears1987
10-18-2006, 09:50 AM
We get a new shortstop.A lot of good can come from this. Now we can do what I've wanted to do for a while and dump that no good bum on his ass.

I'm pretty sure this voids his contract for next year.

The Immigrant
10-18-2006, 09:53 AM

Don't quit your day job.

gobears1987
10-18-2006, 09:56 AM
I'd take Neifi Perez over Uribe anyday. In fact, I think I'd take just about anything for that self centered free-swinging showboating bum.

Rocky Soprano
10-18-2006, 09:59 AM
I'd take Neifi Perez over Uribe anyday. In fact, I think I'd take just about anything for that self centered free-swinging showboating bum.

:?:

I hope you forgot to use teal.

While I would like to see a new SS, Neifi? Come on!

oeo
10-18-2006, 10:01 AM

:thud:

I honestly cannot believe I just saw those words. Neifi Perez = overall bad baseball player, I don't care what Gold Glove he's won in the past. I thought Dusty was the only one that cared for that guy...I guess great minds think alike.

October26
10-18-2006, 10:02 AM

Uh, Neifi no.

JUST SAY NO TO NEIFI!

Here's an idea: Let's get Michael Young!

INSox56
10-18-2006, 10:15 AM
According to Uribe and his people he's free and clear...

"He was banging on a public telephone next to my car and I told him to stop. Things went no further than that. Afterwards, I was at home, which is very close to the park where the incident happened, and I heard shots. My brother and friend came over and told me that they had argued with [Gonzalez] and [Alessandro]."

"Uribe told ESPNdeportes.com that, in the original police report, Gonzalez accused only the player's brother and friend in the incident, but that on Monday a lawyer told him that he could make a lot of money if a major league player were involved. "Not only that," Uribe continued, "but during questioning on Tuesday, the Italian admitted that I wasn't there when the shots were fired. The authorities have my gun for ballistics tests that will prove I didn't do it."

slight case of extortion....

Lip Man 1
10-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Well, well, well...extortion....big surprise!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2629616 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/)

Lip

OEO Magglio
10-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Wow. I think that quote alone should be a bannable offense.

Hitmen77
10-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Well, well, well...extortion....big surprise!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2629616 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/)

Lip

The link doesn't work.

hi im skot
10-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Wow. I think that quote alone should be a bannable offense.

If I had a bunch of freetime on my hands, I could put together a novel of bannable quotes from him.

How quickly we forget...
http://www.prosportspictures.com/images/mlb/chicago-white-sox/2005/05-world-series-game4-juan-uribe.jpg

southside rocks
10-18-2006, 10:57 AM
"One thing that I have learned over the years is to be very careful to jump to assumptions of one person pointing guilt at another person," Williams said. "It's particularly true when that particular person being pointed at is the richest man in the room.
"That's why I've heard [White Sox manager] Ozzie [Guillen] advise a lot of the guys down in that part of the world, in the Latin American countries, to be very careful about their associates and the security when they travel. "[They should] watch themselves, because they could be targets," Williams added. "I'm not saying this is one of those situations, but it's something that they all have to be aware of in terms of how they conduct their lives."

Speaker -- Kenny Williams. Source -- Whitesox.com.

Lip Man 1
10-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Here it is (again):

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2629616

Lip

AuroraSoxFan
10-18-2006, 11:11 AM
I didn't say anything about it but I definitely wanted to call BS on the people who were shot. Rumors said Uribe shot them when they got too close to his Jeep while he was in the jeep. So for them to be shot under those cricumstances means it had to happen at pretty point blank range. I have hunted and shot all my life. No way would 2 people be treated and released after being shot at that range. Even if they were barely grazed there still would be some major damage.

October26
10-18-2006, 02:31 PM
If I had a bunch of freetime on my hands, I could put together a novel of bannable quotes from him.

How quickly we forget...
http://www.prosportspictures.com/images/mlb/chicago-white-sox/2005/05-world-series-game4-juan-uribe.jpg

I will never forget that image, for as long as I live. It was a very special moment for all of us Sox fans. I have been praying for Juan these last few days, hoping this is all a big misunderstanding and that it works out for him. Not only is he a commodity as a baseball player, but he is also a human being who has feelings and deserves the opportunity to present his side of the story. I was distraught when I first heard of this and still am. Even here in Chicago, what we are getting are small tidbits, pieces of the Juan Uribe story at the end of the Sports News casts. The Web link provided in this thread is a great resource but I really hope for Juan and the Sox that this can be resolved quickly so we can move on.

DaleJRFan
10-18-2006, 02:53 PM
I didn't say anything about it but I definitely wanted to call BS on the people who were shot. Rumors said Uribe shot them when they got too close to his Jeep while he was in the jeep. So for them to be shot under those cricumstances means it had to happen at pretty point blank range. I have hunted and shot all my life. No way would 2 people be treated and released after being shot at that range. Even if they were barely grazed there still would be some major damage.

And the injuries were to the fingers and elbows?? Uribe would have had to be shooting down at them and to hit their elbows and fingers... and to only cause minor damage - he either a really bad shot, or it was an air pistol.

gobears1987
10-18-2006, 02:54 PM
:?:

I hope you forgot to use teal.

While I would like to see a new SS, Neifi? Come on!
Uribe is the worst batter in the American League. Believe me, Neifi sucks, but he is better than Juan "Watch me K and fail to turn DPs" Uribe.

caulfield12
10-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Uribe is the worst batter in the American League. Believe me, Neifi sucks, but he is better than Juan "Watch me K and fail to turn DPs" Uribe.

Ummm....don't think so. Just go onto any Tigers' board and start praising Neifi Perez and then show me the resulting link. Or the Rockies. Or even the Royals' boards.

gobears1987
10-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Ummm....don't think so. Just go onto any Tigers' board and start praising Neifi Perez and then show me the resulting link. Or the Rockies. Or even the Royals' boards.
So are you going to argue with the point he had the lowest OBP of any regular player on any Major League team?

Not to mention drops when he would try to one hand catch balls and his frequent failures this year to turn DPs like he did in 05.

TDog
10-18-2006, 05:39 PM
A lot of good can come from this. Now we can do what I've wanted to do for a while and dump that no good bum on his ass.

Have you been paying attention? It seems nothing posted about the incident will clear Uribe in your mind. I'm sure if Frank Thomas were in this situation, nothing would be sufficient to prove his guilt to you.

goon
10-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Have you been paying attention? It seems nothing posted about the incident will clear Uribe in your mind. I'm sure if Frank Thomas were in this situation, nothing would be sufficient to prove his guilt to you.

but frank thomas is the white sox.

i just got my copy "the white sox world series collector's edition" in the mail. that catch juan made jumping into the stands almost brought a tear to my eye, i can't believe i forgot how insane it was...

TDog
10-18-2006, 08:36 PM
but frank thomas is the white sox.

i just got my copy "the white sox world series collector's edition" in the mail. that catch juan made jumping into the stands almost brought a tear to my eye, i can't believe i forgot how insane it was...

It wasn't just the catch. The play he made to end the game after the catch was overshadowed, but it was a heck of a play. He was a big contributor to the 2005 World Series (although if you take away Shingo's 8 saves, the Sox wouldn't have made it to the postseason). I don't think the incident in the Dominican Republic puts his future with the Sox in doubt, but his play in 2006 may have.

JB98
10-18-2006, 08:58 PM

I thought Juan's defense fell off this year, but if you think he's worse than Neifi, you're insane. Call me when Neifi hits 20 HRs and drives in 70 runs.

White_Sock
10-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted Caulfield12

or Giants boards; man they hate Neifi over here. He was the bane of some Giants fan's existence for the short time he was with SF.