PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Turn Down a White Sox Deal for A Rod

Whitesox4ever
10-15-2006, 10:47 AM
From the NY Daily News

Yankees' best trading option for A-Rod. White Sox GM Kenny Williams has long lusted for A-Rod and was the first to come calling last week, letting it be known he'd be willing to give up any one of his three established starters, Freddy Garcia, Javier Vazquez or Mark Buerhle. The Yankees weren't interested. On the other hand, Brandon McCarthy, the White Sox's 6-7 righty with top-of-the-rotation potential, might get their attention. Conceivably, Williams would be willing to include third baseman Joe Crede in any deal in that because, in Josh Fields, he has a blue chip replacement ready for the hot corner. A-Rod's agent, Scott Boras, would probably be interested in that scenario since he also represents Crede, who is up for free agency after next year. The White Sox have told Crede they won't offer him an extension unless he gets a minor operation for his periodically ailing back - which he has so far refused to do.

Myrtle72
10-15-2006, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't give up McCarthy for him.

Unless Fields proves to be an AWESOME third baseman.

And even then... how do we know he'll still be good when we are in the playoffs?

Gavin
10-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Crede/McCarthy for A-Rod? All we'd need to figure out is A-Rod's contract....

samram
10-15-2006, 11:06 AM
I checked the Daily News site- incredibly, I didn't see that story. But since you gave us a link, I must be missing something. Oh wait, you didn't.

Edit: Ok, I see it now. It's actually in a column (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/461848p-388604c.html) by Bill Madden, who I guess would be like Phil Rogers.

Whitesox4ever
10-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I checked the Daily News site- incredibly, I didn't see that story. But since you gave us a link, I must be missing something. Oh wait, you didn't.

Edit: Ok, I see it now. It's actually in a column (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/461848p-388604c.html) by Bill Madden, who I guess would be like Phil Rogers.

I don't know how you could have miss the story. Since it says in bold letters
White Sox still eyeing Rodriguez

samram
10-15-2006, 11:20 AM
I don't know how you could have miss the story. Since it says in bold letters
White Sox still eyeing Rodriguez

Yeah, it's 3/4 of the way down the page and you didn't provide a link.

Chips
10-15-2006, 11:28 AM

And even then... how do we know he'll still be good when we are in the playoffs?

I'd trade McCarthy in a second and I'd throw in Cotts.

October26
10-15-2006, 11:29 AM
From the NY Daily News

Yankees' best trading option for A-Rod. White Sox GM Kenny Williams has long lusted for A-Rod and was the first to come calling last week, letting it be known he'd be willing to give up any one of his three established starters, Freddy Garcia, Javier Vazquez or Mark Buerhle. The Yankees weren't interested. On the other hand, Brandon McCarthy, the White Sox's 6-7 righty with top-of-the-rotation potential, might get their attention. Conceivably, Williams would be willing to include third baseman Joe Crede in any deal in that because, in Josh Fields, he has a blue chip replacement ready for the hot corner. A-Rod's agent, Scott Boras, would probably be interested in that scenario since he also represents Crede, who is up for free agency after next year. The White Sox have told Crede they won't offer him an extension unless he gets a minor operation for his periodically ailing back - which he has so far refused to do.

I give Kenny credit for continuing to try to improve the Sox. As much as I'd love for the Sox to get A-rod, I think what we really need to do is to improve our pitching.

But you know what, I trust Kenny Williams and am confident that he knows what he's doing. I'll be checking in at WSI on a daily (hourly after the World Series is over) to see what additional moves Kenny has up his sleeve. :smile:

The Dude
10-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Javier or Garcia +
Bmac or Sweeney or Owens +
Uribe + mid level prospect(s)

for Arod and cash. I'd do it.

Jurr
10-15-2006, 11:43 AM
I think A Rod would be better at short without the media circus, where Ozzie would steal attention from him.

However, everybody and their mother would be blabbing about the "Ozzie/A-Rod feud" from last year.

Get Carl Crawford and some pitching. Let A-Rod rot in Anaheim.

chaerulez
10-15-2006, 11:58 AM
From the NY Daily News

I'm not sure what to think about this. I'm leaning towards NY tabloid rumors at this point. Why would KW be stupid enough to suggest Vazquez? Vazquez tanked in his Yankee days, there is no way they would think about taking him back. Garcia or Buehrle would have to intrigue them. At least more than McCarthy. Maybe McCarthy is more valuable than Garcia, but Burhele just had a down year in 2006 and beside that, he's proven he is a very good pitcher. I don't see how a package of Garcia/Burhele + Crede + Broadway isn't accepted right away from the Yankees. I can't see another team offering a better deal. The only team that could compete money wise to take on A-Rod's 16 million contract are the Angels, Cubs, Dodgers, and maybe Astros. I think it's better than the Ervin Santana + Erick Aybar package the Angels would throw out there. The major league ready pitching the Dodgers have (Penny, Lowe) I don't think looks as attractive and they'd have to throw out a lot of their good young players like Broxton and Billingsley to just match what the Sox can offer. The Cubs would have to include Zambrano or Hill in any talks, which I think trading Zambrano (a Cy Young talent) would be foolish given the state of their team and maybe the can't even afford to give away Hill because of just how bad their pitching situation is. I've probably balbed on this topic way too much, but it's just the thought of A-Rod on the team is very intriguing. Dye and Crede had career years. PK and Thome are getting older. But a 3-4-5-6 lineup of A-Rod, Thome, Dye, PK would be great. I know people will continue to talk about the "we have to improve the pitching arugment". Of course we do. Getting A-Rod won't stop that. As I see it the plan is to have McCarthy start all year, hopefully they sign Speier, I'd like to see at least two of the three (Jose, Garcia, and Vazquez) gone, they just aren't consistent enough. The problem is we have everyone under contract, but I certianly expect KW to have a very interesting offseason.

DumpJerry
10-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Buerhle is not getting traded unless there is another Southpaw in the rotation (Zito?).

HotelWhiteSox
10-15-2006, 12:07 PM
So is it a pipedream now when KW also gives it a shot (in a deal most of us outlined the same way lol)

southside rocks
10-15-2006, 12:27 PM
So is it a pipedream now when KW also gives it a shot (in a deal most of us outlined the same way lol)

It's total speculation by a New York columnist, and probably not worth any more than a column by the Windsock. The only thing he states in there as fact is that KW expressed interest in A-Rod and that the 3 starters are available.

All the rest, about McCarthy and Crede and Fields, is the columnist's own speculation. He probably reads WSI. :tongue:

If it's not a pipedream, it's still just as far from being a reality.

I don't want to see A-Rod on the White Sox, but anything can happen ... :?:

Infallible
10-15-2006, 12:29 PM
I say go for it. B-Mac has the potential to be awesome, with that being said he also has the potential to be what he is now and never improving. Crede has back problems. Any of you who suffer from back ailments know that once they begin, they don't stop. A-Rod is still young enough to make a big impact on this ball club for many years.

Jjav829
10-15-2006, 12:39 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if KW was the first to call about Arod. But I seriously doubt KW would be willing to do this deal with McCarthy involved instead of Garcia/Buehrle. The Yankees would have to make up the difference between McCarthy's salary and Garcia's salary for it to make sense fiscally for the Sox.

The World Series hasn't begun and we already have the first Arod to the Sox rumor. It's going to be a wild offseason...:smile:

23Ventura
10-15-2006, 01:09 PM
KW must get his trade ideas from these message boards.

Britt Burns
10-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Would the Yank$ send any money along in the deal? I just don't see how this really improves the team...Crede is better at D, and we need pitching more than anything.

buehrle4cy05
10-15-2006, 01:26 PM
The only way I want Rodriguez on the Sox is if he's playing SS. He's a very good defensive SS and he'd be more comfortable there. That's why I like The Dude's trade proposal...but unfortunately, that probably won't work. The Yankees need another SS about as much as the Cardinals need another 1B.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-15-2006, 01:27 PM
The problem in 2006 wasn't scoring runs, it was giving runs up. Getting A-Rod doesn't address that issue. Good pitching beats good hitting. See the 2005 Chicago White Sox, or check up on the Yankees of the past several years.

Scottiehaswheels
10-15-2006, 01:28 PM
The only way I want Rodriguez on the Sox is if he's playing SS. He's a very good defensive SS and he'd be more comfortable there. That's why I like The Dude's trade proposal...but unfortunately, that probably won't work. The Yankees need another SS about as much as the Cardinals need another 1B.Uribe would just be a bench guy for the Yanks.. He does have a bit more pop in his bat than Cairo and would probably be a tad bit cheaper... Its an interesting idea...

Palehose13
10-15-2006, 01:40 PM
The problem in 2006 wasn't scoring runs, it was giving runs up. Getting A-Rod doesn't address that issue. Good pitching beats good hitting. See the 2005 Chicago White Sox, or check up on the Yankees of the past several years.

Would the Yank$ send any money along in the deal? I just don't see how this really improves the team...Crede is better at D, and we need pitching more than anything.

Getting ARod does not mean that KW will not improve the bullpen.

Please read this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1384465&postcount=10) for my complete thoughts on the subject.

RKMeibalane
10-15-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm still holding out for Ryan Howard. Surely, he can learn to play LF.

russ99
10-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Geez. I wonder what that writer was smoking when he wrote that!

The only way the Sox go for A-Rod is if the Yankees play 75% or his salary, and they aren't that desperate to get rid of him.

Off Topic:Update your LT watch, RKMeibalane. Hopefully he'll break 100 vs. the Niners today. Go Chargers!

eastchicagosoxfan
10-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Getting ARod does not mean that KW will not improve the bullpen.

Please read this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1384465&postcount=10) for my complete thoughts on the subject.
Getting A-Rod requires giving up a position player, probably Crede, and replacing him with a rookie, Fields. The question marks on this team are the consistency of the starters, the consistency of the lead-off man, the consistency of the shortstop, and the set-up men and long relievers in the pen. At each postition, the Sox have guys who have demonstrated consistency over a season, and in some guys, over several seasons. Acquiring A-Rod will certainly remove a question mark, but it will also create at least one more, and perhaps two more depending on who's dealt. As far as the notion of trading starters for top line talent, if KW wants to think outside the box again to build a winner, I'm all for it.

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2006, 02:21 PM
The Sox need AROD, plain and simple. Unless the pitchers return to form, they won't win more than 85 games. Dye, Thome, Konerko, and Crede all had great seasons, and are either likely to regress or unlikely to do much better. AROD will destroy Crede's numbers, and Fields should give us much more than what Uribe gave us for four million less. The offense will regress, so subtracting Crede (who wasn't that great this year, OPS+ of 108) and Uribe (horrible hitter) and adding AROD (best SS ever?) and Fields (potential to be a .275/340/.475 after a few years) will help a lot.

By the way, AROD, in what's being characterized as his worst season ever, and a terrible one at that, he still had an OPS+ of 140. That's nuts that that is his "off" year.

Anyone who doesn't want him on the basis of him being a "loser diva" either a) comes from the Joe Morgan/Dusty Baker/Mike Celizic world of judging baseball players by their "grit" or b) knows nothing about baseball, which falls in like with a.

23Ventura
10-15-2006, 02:35 PM
The Sox need AROD, plain and simple. Unless the pitchers return to form, they won't win more than 85 games. Dye, Thome, Konerko, and Crede all had great seasons, and are either likely to regress or unlikely to do much better. AROD will destroy Crede's numbers, and Fields should give us much more than what Uribe gave us for four million less. The offense will regress, so subtracting Crede (who wasn't that great this year, OPS+ of 108) and Uribe (horrible hitter) and adding AROD (best SS ever?) and Fields (potential to be a .275/340/.475 after a few years) will help a lot.

By the way, AROD, in what's being characterized as his worst season ever, and a terrible one at that, he still had an OPS+ of 140. That's nuts that that is his "off" year.

Anyone who doesn't want him on the basis of him being a "loser diva" either a) comes from the Joe Morgan/Dusty Baker/Mike Celizic world of judging baseball players by their "grit" or b) knows nothing about baseball, which falls in like with a.
The Sox need Arod? Really? They've done pretty well the last 2 seasons without him. I'd love for the Sox to get him, but I wouldn't say that they need him.

Also, you said that Crede had a great season, and then like 2 sentences later you said that Crede didn't have a great season.:?:

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Great seasons for his standards, more like career year.

TheOldRoman
10-15-2006, 02:43 PM
No, the problem was giving up runs AND scoring runs. Maybe you missed the seemingly dozens of times our offense did nothing against horrible pitchers, mediocre rookie call ups, lefties, and so on. I remember it well. I remember the offense being inconsistant in the first half and nonexistant in the second half. More importantly, our offense was bad and spotty while several guys were having career years. If all else stays the same while Thome, Dye, Konerko, and Crede regress, the Sox would be in huge trouble no matter how good the pitching is.

A. Cavatica
10-15-2006, 03:18 PM
McCarthy's trade value is probably higher than A-Rod's. It's all about the cash.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-15-2006, 03:31 PM
No, the problem was giving up runs AND scoring runs. Maybe you missed the seemingly dozens of times our offense did nothing against horrible pitchers, mediocre rookie call ups, lefties, and so on. I remember it well. I remember the offense being inconsistant in the first half and nonexistant in the second half. More importantly, our offense was bad and spotty while several guys were having career years. If all else stays the same while Thome, Dye, Konerko, and Crede regress, the Sox would be in huge trouble no matter how good the pitching is.
How did the Sox win in 2005? The addition of Thome was suppossed to make the offense better, and good enough to overcome the no names and rookies. Ptching and defense with timely hitting will put the Sox back in faster than adding another big bat. The 2006 season lacked consistency. In 2005, the Sox consistently got the big hit, and the big out when they needed it. Going back to an old baseball cliche, good pitching beats good hitting. The 2006 Sox gave up too many runs in games they would have won handily with 2005's pitching. You remember getting shut down by rookies, and mediocre guys; I remember losing games in which the offense scored over five runs.

getonbckthr
10-15-2006, 03:31 PM
I would assume that getting Arod would include Crede to the Yanks. Based on that I would also assume Fields takes over third and Arod goes back to SS. One way to look at it is comparing Fields to Crede and Arod to Uribe. How I am viewing is comparing Crede to Arod offensively and Fields to Uribe offensively. Clearly the advantage is Arod over Crede and I would say Fields and Uribe is a push. Now defensively uRIBE AND aROD at SS are a wash. At 3rd Crede gets the edge over Fields but is it really that much more of an edge compared to the advantage offensively of Arod over Crede?

Chisox003
10-15-2006, 03:38 PM
I had the feeling KW would be going after him immediatly.

I also have the feeling he's going to land him. Call me crazy....

Dont' forget that bullpen Kenny...pretty please....

TheOldRoman
10-15-2006, 03:55 PM
How did the Sox win in 2005? The addition of Thome was suppossed to make the offense better, and good enough to overcome the no names and rookies. Ptching and defense with timely hitting will put the Sox back in faster than adding another big bat. The 2006 season lacked consistency. In 2005, the Sox consistently got the big hit, and the big out when they needed it. Going back to an old baseball cliche, good pitching beats good hitting. The 2006 Sox gave up too many runs in games they would have won handily with 2005's pitching. You remember getting shut down by rookies, and mediocre guys; I remember losing games in which the offense scored over five runs.
That is just the thing. There were just as many loses while scoring 5 as there were losses because the offense did nothing against crap. We need to drastically improve the offense. A-Rod is not your typical power hitter. He is a once in a generation type player. Please don't compare him to Thome, Konerko, latter-years Frank, or Carlos Lee. A-Rod is a complete hitter. He isn't a swing from the shoetops slugger who tries to pull it 600 feet every swing. He is just a really good hitter who has lots of power. A-Rod would greatly improve our total offense, not just up our homerun total.

getonbckthr
10-15-2006, 03:55 PM
I had the feeling KW would be going after him immediatly.

I also have the feeling he's going to land him. Call me crazy....

Dont' forget that bullpen Kenny...pretty please....
If we get Arod he is going back to Short therefor I feel Uribe would be used to acquire a RP.

Chisox003
10-15-2006, 04:03 PM
If we get Arod he is going back to Short therefor I feel Uribe would be used to acquire a RP.
Uribe isn't going to bring in the top notch, frontend bullpen help we need. But I'd agree, if A-Rod is wearing a Sox uniform Uribe would be rendered useless.

zmz723
10-15-2006, 04:14 PM
don't forget that a-rod can also steal 20-30 bases as well.

I want Mags back
10-15-2006, 04:18 PM

fields is gonna be the 2008 3rd basemen anyways, Crede isnt coming back after next year.

DaleJRFan
10-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Why does KW have a thing for ex-Indians and players who failed in NY?? Anyway, I find it hard to believe that any substantial trade talks have occured between Cashman and KW, seeing as how the baseball season isn't officially over yet... is it even legal (CBA???) to be discussing trades before the playoffs are over? I thought that teams had to wait until the last out of the world series before they could talk trades?? Maybe I'm wrong...

But, if KW does manage a deal involving Crede and $ARod, would that open up things with Boras to the point where he could discuss signing Zito?

Buehrle + Crede for $ARod + Proctor??
Then sign Zito to replace Buehrle.
Sign Justin Speier to complete the nastiest bullpen, ever.
Then move Vazquez/Garcia for prospects + our own prospects in some weird 9-team KW-type deal for Carl Crawford...

Rotation: Zito, Contreras, Garland, Vazquez/Garcia, McCarthy
Bullpen: Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, Speier, Cotts, Proctor
Lineup: Crawford, Iguchi, ARod, Thome, PK, Dye, AJ, Anderson, Fields

ok, ok... this isn't play station... I know. :cool:

eastchicagosoxfan
10-15-2006, 04:21 PM
That is just the thing. There were just as many loses while scoring 5 as there were losses because the offense did nothing against crap. We need to drastically improve the offense. A-Rod is not your typical power hitter. He is a once in a generation type player. Please don't compare him to Thome, Konerko, latter-years Frank, or Carlos Lee. A-Rod is a complete hitter. He isn't a swing from the shoetops slugger who tries to pull it 600 feet every swing. He is just a really good hitter who has lots of power. A-Rod would greatly improve our total offense, not just up our homerun total.

I'd have to see how the potential A-Rod move impacts the other areas of need. Can Uribe be dealt to get some bullpen help? If Crede's moved, does Fields have the leather at the hot corner ( because i certainly won't worry about too much offense frm him )? Do the Sox keep Pods, or do they look to free agents as a lead-off hitter? As far as improving the offense, I think there needs to be a different approach. Back to small-ball, or more accurately, pressure on the defense based on speed.
The Yankees are suppossedly hot on McCarthy. Could McCarthy be tandemed with one of the middle-of-the-order slow guys and sent to the Yanks to get A-Rod? Maybe McCarthy and Dye?

oeo
10-15-2006, 04:40 PM
don't forget that a-rod can also steal 20-30 bases as well.

Fields can swipe some bags, as well (28 in Charlotte this year). A-Rod + Fields does not clog the basepaths like Crede + Uribe.

And I still think that Fields will surprise some people with his defense. As long as he can at least match Uribe's numbers (that's not much), then this deal is a steal.

soxwon
10-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Uribe isn't going to bring in the top notch, frontend bullpen help we need. But I'd agree, if A-Rod is wearing a Sox uniform Uribe would be rendered useless.

see thread about uribe wanted in dominican republic, his career is over.

Myrtle72
10-15-2006, 11:05 PM
I'd trade McCarthy in a second and I'd throw in Cotts.

Well, I'd throw in Cotts in almost any trade. :cool:

rdwj
10-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Why does any thread mentioning ARod go right to What's the Score? Isn't that a bit silly considering KW was the first GM to contact the Yanks? Seems like Sox Clubhouse material to me!

voodoochile
10-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Why does any thread mentioning ARod go right to What's the Score? Isn't that a bit silly considering KW was the first GM to contact the Yanks? Seems like Sox Clubhouse material to me!

This is where rumors and hypothetical trade discussions go. Should the Sox manage to actually land ARod, the discussion would be in the Clubhouse.

NardiWasHere
10-16-2006, 09:51 AM

I don't know, man.... you might be over-reacting a little bit....

kevingrt
10-16-2006, 09:55 AM
I heard this reported on Mike & Mike this morning. Now what if Crede actually decides to screw with Boras and actually get the minor operation. Could we give up Fields, McCarthy and maybe some other minor leaguer for Rodriguez and move A-Rod back to his home position SS?

This is an enticing deal and I would not be surprised at all if KW pulls this off somehow.

NardiWasHere
10-16-2006, 10:00 AM
How does KW fit ARod in $$-wise if McCarthy is in the deal? One of the other SPs still has to go, right?

kevingrt
10-16-2006, 10:02 AM
How does KW fit ARod in $$-wise if McCarthy is in the deal? One of the other SPs still has to go, right?

Ozzie did say he was going to find Haeger a spot in the rotation next year after one of Haegar's good outings. I don't know, we will see.

Beautox
10-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Ozzie did say he was going to find Haeger a spot in the rotation next year after one of Haegar's good outings. I don't know, we will see.

I see no teal, so im going to ask if you have a link, or where you heard that? because i am PRO Haeger.

wdelaney72
10-16-2006, 12:44 PM
I heard this reported on Mike & Mike this morning. Now what if Crede actually decides to screw with Boras and actually get the minor operation.

If Crede was going to have surgery, it should have happened already, or at least be scheduled. Crede's not having surgery, which means he'll continue to have a questionable back, which means he won't get an extension this offseason, which means he'll be wearing a different uniform once the regular season begins next year.

likeawarlord
10-16-2006, 12:55 PM

how do we know crede will play well in the playoffs again? you have to get to the playoffs first, anyway.

Dick Allen
10-16-2006, 01:12 PM
If Crede was going to have surgery, it should have happened already, or at least be scheduled. Crede's not having surgery, which means he'll continue to have a questionable back, which means he won't get an extension this offseason, which means he'll be wearing a different uniform once the regular season begins next year.Watch, once he goes to another team, he'll have the back surgery. Leave it to Borass.

wdelaney72
10-16-2006, 01:22 PM
If Crede was going to have surgery, it should have happened already, or at least be scheduled. Crede's not having surgery, which means he'll continue to have a questionable back, which means he won't get an extension this offseason, which means he'll be wearing a different uniform once the regular season begins next year.

I'd like to expand on this, becuase I don't want the "dark cloud" police to pull me over.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. I love Crede, but I, for one, don't blame the Sox for not wanting to commit ridiculous money to a guy whose health is a question mark. Foregoing big time $$ to Crede for someone like Alex Rodriquez or another stud outfielder is a good move. A platoon of Fields and Machowiak at 3B (which is where Mackowiak should be playing) is a decent situation, assuming Crede's numbers are picked up by an upgrade at SS or LF. Our SP is going to turn it back around next year. I fully trust Kenny if he opts to get value for Crede.

southside rocks
10-16-2006, 01:31 PM

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. :tongue:

Uribe's career is not over, but now his at-bat song is "I Shot the Sheriff."