PDA

View Full Version : Figgins for Crede?

Chrisaway
10-15-2006, 02:42 AM
So I hear the Angels and White Sox might do a swap with Joe Crede for Figgins. It would help to stabilize third, while adding some more power. I like Figgins, but he was down last year.
-- Phil G., Granada Hills, Calif.
White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen is a big fan of Figgins, and his club could use a leadoff hitter with Chicago not likely to tender Scott Podsednik a new contract. Crede would provide an answer at third base for the Angels, while also adding a much-needed boost to the lineup, so the common ground is in place for a potential deal. Crede, who made $2.875 million in 2006, has two more arbitration years left, while Figgins is signed through 2008 for another $8.25 million.
That possible trade would not likely qualify as the major acquisition that owner Arte Moreno has promised this offseason, but could be a complementary piece to bigger moves. Moving Figgins could also open the door for Reggie Willits or possibly Tommy Murphy.

per Angels site^^^

TheOldRoman
10-15-2006, 02:49 AM
:kneeslap::rolling::kukoo::smokin:

Gee, I don't thing Crede would be enough to get us Figgins. Maybe we should throw in Garland and Konerko.:rolleyes:

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2006, 02:49 AM
Figgins is horrid.

RealMenWearBlack
10-15-2006, 03:57 AM
I wouldn't be completely against the trade if they also got Scot Shields or another good bullpen arm.

southside rocks
10-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Dream on, Angels fans ... This time last year, the Angels fan boards were full of posts that anticipated Paul Konerko as the Angels DH in 2006. :D:

jabrch
10-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Brandon Wood and Chone Figgins for Crede - I'd do...

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Whoa, I think you're overrating Crede a bit. Brandon Wood is an animal. Even in Crede's best year ever, his OPS+ was only 108. If we could move him in the offseason, I'd be all for it, so long as it's not for "speed" guys like Chone Figgins.

Jjav829
10-15-2006, 11:40 AM
"Throw in" Ervin Santana and we have a deal. :wink:

RKMeibalane
10-15-2006, 11:46 AM
If they throw in Vlad I'd do it. He can play LF and take over for Pods.

ondafarm
10-15-2006, 02:00 PM
If I was KW I'd ask for a mid-level pitching prospect or maybe a bullpen arm, but I'd actually take Crede for Figgins straight up.

The Sox single greatest need is a lead-off hitter. Figgins is able to play all over and is a solid lead-off man. The Sox have some excess power offense and Fields actually looks quite close to being ready. Figgins had a down year but should be back to his typical year, .295 avg, .350 obp, .370 slg.

That does it for me. It should also bring the Sox back to the World Series.

This also leaves the Sox able to make another major deal with a starting pitcher.

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2006, 02:02 PM
I don't understand how adding a slap hitter who doesn't get on base that well can bring us back to the world series.

The Dude
10-15-2006, 02:09 PM
per Angels site^^^
:chunks

That idea is worse than some bull**** trade proposal that people come up with in what's the score?

TheOldRoman
10-15-2006, 02:48 PM
If I was KW I'd ask for a mid-level pitching prospect or maybe a bullpen arm, but I'd actually take Crede for Figgins straight up.

The Sox single greatest need is a lead-off hitter. Figgins is able to play all over and is a solid lead-off man. The Sox have some excess power offense and Fields actually looks quite close to being ready. Figgins had a down year but should be back to his typical year, .295 avg, .350 obp, .370 slg.

That does it for me. It should also bring the Sox back to the World Series.

This also leaves the Sox able to make another major deal with a starting pitcher.
You are willing to give up a gold glove third baseman who hits for average, has power and it clutch as hell, for a leadoff hitter with an career .345 OBP?! If I were KW, I would hang up unless the Angels started the bidding with Figgins and Shields, and went up from there.

SOXSINCE'70
10-15-2006, 04:13 PM
"Throw in" Ervin Santana and we have a deal. :wink:
Can the Sox have Scott Shields and "Mr.Finger-Lickin' Good"
Brendan Donnelly as well????:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cuck_The_Fubs
10-15-2006, 04:20 PM
id make the figg's deal if u add Mr. Shields :cool:

ondafarm
10-15-2006, 04:34 PM
You are willing to give up a gold glove third baseman who hits for average, has power and it clutch as hell, for a leadoff hitter with an career .345 OBP?! If I were KW, I would hang up unless the Angels started the bidding with Figgins and Shields, and went up from there.

Well, start comparing Pods to Figgins

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=ana&playerID=408210

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=cws&playerID=325392

and then throw in Crede's numbers

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=cws&playerID=150317

We gave up more C.Lee for less when we got Pods and Pods was a very effective lead-off man for one year. Figgins had one bad year and apart from that is a .290 avg .350 obp guy who steals 40 bases a year.

Crede has had back problems two straight years and refuses to have the surgery. His avg is in the .260s and the Sox have an excess of power right now. Plus the Sox have an adequate replacement, Fields right now. I'd rather Fields spent one more year at Charlotte but he wouldn't be a gaping hole right now.

The Sox need the speed and OBP right now and Figgins is disruptive as all get out when on-base. We desperately need that.

The short answer is yes. I'd also look for a prospect or two but not count on anything high up.

churlish
10-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Wasn't Figgins hitting 9th at the end of the year?

Because he was terrible.

churlish
10-15-2006, 04:53 PM
The Sox need the speed and OBP right now and Figgins is disruptive as all get out when on-base. We desperately need that.

Figgins may be disruptive, but the problem with your logic is that the Sox need someone who can GET on base, and then be disruptive.

TheOldRoman
10-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Well, start comparing Pods to Figgins

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=ana&playerID=408210

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=cws&playerID=325392

and then throw in Crede's numbers

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=cws&playerID=150317

We gave up more C.Lee for less when we got Pods and Pods was a very effective lead-off man for one year. Figgins had one bad year and apart from that is a .290 avg .350 obp guy who steals 40 bases a year.

Crede has had back problems two straight years and refuses to have the surgery. His avg is in the .260s and the Sox have an excess of power right now. Plus the Sox have an adequate replacement, Fields right now. I'd rather Fields spent one more year at Charlotte but he wouldn't be a gaping hole right now.

The short answer is yes. I'd also look for a prospect or two but not count on anything high up.
Are you ****ing kidding me? Carlos Lee isn't half the player Crede is. First of all, Lee is fat and lazy, and doesn't care about anything but his stats. He dissapears in tight situations, but always pads his numbers in garbage time. He hits more homers than Crede, but he plays the least important position on the field, and plays it horribly. Crede is extremely clutch, and is arguably the best there is at third, which is a very important defensive position. Also, Crede didn't hit in the .260s this year. He batted .283, even after a miserable September.
Part of the reason Lee was traded was his salary. He made way too much money (for him), while Crede will be ours cheap for two more years. We also got a very good reliever in Vizcaino.

Chips
10-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Are you ****ing kidding me? Carlos Lee isn't half the player Crede is. First of all, Lee is fat and lazy, and doesn't care about anything but his stats. He dissapears in tight situations, but always pads his numbers in garbage time. He hits more homers than Crede, but he plays the least important position on the field, and plays it horribly. Crede is extremely clutch, and is arguably the best there is at third, which is a very important defensive position. Also, Crede didn't hit in the .260s this year. He batted .283, even after a miserable September.
Part of the reason Lee was traded was his salary. He made way too much money (for him), while Crede will be ours cheap for two more years. We also got a very good reliever in Vizcaino.

:thumbsup:

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Career OPS+
Joe Crede 95
Carlos Lee 113

Career RC/27
Joe Crede 4.78
Carlos Lee 5.99

Career SB/CS
Fat, Lazy Carlos Lee 96/32
Grinder Crede 4/8

Carlos, this past season, stole 19 and was caught TWICE.

I find it funny people make scathing judgments about player's personalities and work ethic when they don't spend any time in the clubhouse.

TDog
10-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Have you seen Joe Crede play third base? Granted, he's no Eric Chavez, but Crede is a player I want the Sox to hold on to.

Fans like to fantasize about trades where they dump players they wouldn't mind getting rid of for key players on other teams. It happens here just as it hapens on the Angels' board.

SABRSox
10-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Brandon Wood and Chone Figgins for Crede - I'd do...

Yeah, so would I. Brandon Wood is a STUD.

ChiSoxLifer
10-15-2006, 06:13 PM
My God, we finally get the stud third basemen we've been clamoring for since Robin Ventura and you want to trade him for Chone Figgins? Maybe Figgins will help the team, maybe not, but I wouldn't trade more than a triple-a prospect for him.

buehrle4cy05
10-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Throw in Scot Shields and Ervin Santana, we'll throw in McCarthy, and you got a deal.:rolleyes:

TheOldRoman
10-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I find it funny people make scathing judgments about player's personalities and work ethic when they don't spend any time in the clubhouse.
Well, Ozzie, among others, wanted him out. Ozzie always talked about people on the team who didn't hustle and didn't care enough, and he was referring to Lee. He let countless fly balls fall infront of him, he never ran anything out, and he got thrown out at second on a ball hit to the wall because he watched it fly and then started walking to first. According to someone on this site who met Brian Daubach, he said Lee was the most selfish person he ever played with. He cared only about his stats, and would get pissed when guys didn't score on his hits. Lee may have a higher OBP, OPS+, OPS-, or OBGYN, but Joe Crede is very good at the plate, and he gets meaningful hits. Lee might put up empty stats, but Crede is a good teammate, one of the top 2 thirdbasemen in the game, and he is clutch. I would take Crede over Lee any day.

batmanZoSo
10-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Well, Ozzie, among others, wanted him out. Ozzie always talked about people on the team who didn't hustle and didn't care enough, and he was referring to Lee. He let countless fly balls fall infront of him, he never ran anything out, and he got thrown out at second on a ball hit to the wall because he watched it fly and then started walking to first. According to someone on this site who met Brian Daubach, he said Lee was the most selfish person he ever played with. He cared only about his stats, and would get pissed when guys didn't score on his hits. Lee may have a higher OBP, OPS+, OPS-, or OBGYN, but Joe Crede is very good at the plate, and he gets meaningful hits. Lee might put up empty stats, but Crede is a good teammate, one of the top 2 thirdbasemen in the game, and he is clutch. I would take Crede over Lee any day.

Lee had to go. And whether he's fat, lazy or whatever else doesn't matter because he isn't half the player Crede is.

ondafarm
10-15-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm really sorry I brought Carlos Lee's name up.

ondafarm
10-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Figgins may be disruptive, but the problem with your logic is that the Sox need someone who can GET on base, and then be disruptive.

Pods in 2005 had an OBP of .351

Figgins had a .352 in 2005 and a .350 in 2004, since he's coming off an off year (only .336) and is younger than Pods, getting Figgins would be like getting Pods of 2005 back. If that logic is flawed, why not get all home run hitters and pound our way thru?

Britt Burns
10-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Um, no.

thomas35forever
10-15-2006, 09:50 PM
What if we do it and Fields turns out to be a bust? What then??

Craig Grebeck
10-15-2006, 10:00 PM
What if we do it and Fields turns out to be a bust? What then??
What if Crede returns to his below average numbers after surgery/What if Crede messes up his back because he wouldn't take surgery? What then???

ondafarm
10-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Two of the biggest reasons the Sox might move Crede are because of his back and because of his agent, Boras.

esbrechtel
10-16-2006, 08:22 AM
this has been discussed at detail in this previous thread....

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78651

Fuller_Schettman
10-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Two of the biggest reasons the Sox might move Crede are because of his back and because of his agent, Boras.

IMHO, Joe Crede is a Mike Sirotka waiting to happen. His value is clearly highest with the Sox, a fact that Boras must be silently simmering over. I think if the Sox want to move Crede, they will have to be willing to take a lot less than they'd like because of The Back Problem that lurks....

I love Joe, but I don't see him throwing his prodigious leather around for another 5 or 6 years. Time to move on, methinks...

Jerome
10-16-2006, 03:30 PM
eww