PDA

View Full Version : MAGG-ICAL! 2006 AL CHAMPS (Mitch Albom)

Fenway
10-14-2006, 10:21 PM
MAGG-ICAL! Tigers finish sweep, head to World Series (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061014/NEWS99/310140003)
MITCH ALBOM: The day began with the feel of something big. People sipped their morning coffee thinking baseball, and they dressed in layers thinking baseball, and they came to the stadium on this October afternoon thinking baseball, baseball, baseball. It was football chilly, it was Hockeytown, but the ball and the bat ruled the day, in a way the ball and bat have not ruled this city in more than 20 years. It felt like destiny, like something special was going to happen. -- 9:55 pm

cleanwsox
10-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Congrats, but still.....

:puking:

RadioheadRocks
10-14-2006, 10:25 PM
:rolleyes:

Fenway
10-14-2006, 10:28 PM
The Tigers swept Oakland four straight, they won every game by at least three runs (never happened in baseball history)

That is an amazing stat

asindc
10-14-2006, 10:29 PM
I'm OK with the Tigers winning the AL pennant (anybody but the Yanks or Minny), and I'm happy for Maggs. I say this knowing that he was overpaid by the Tigers and I was happy that the Sox did not get sucked into bidding for him.

True story: I was watching the game with a Tigers fan. I told just before the pitch that I would stop calling Maggs overpaid if he came through in that situation. Consider it done...:smile:

DeadMoney
10-14-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm OK with the Tigers winning the AL pennant (anybody but the Yanks or Minny), and I'm happy for Maggs. I say this knowing that he was overpaid by the Tigers and I was happy that the Sox did not get sucked into bidding for him.

True story: I was watching the game with a Tigers fan. I told just before the pitch that I would stop calling Maggs overpaid if he came through in that situation. Consider it done...:smile:

Yeah, Jermaine Dye, WS MVP, 2006 MVP contender, for a far better price, turned out to be a far better situation. And plus, who thought it would work out SO WELL for Magglio in Detroit also? I mean, when he signed there, it was nearly the pits for a baseball player (especially an offensive one), and now they're heading the the World Series. Good for Maggs, but I still would take Dye anyday.

Anyway, Congrats to Detroit. They deserved it.

batmanZoSo
10-14-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm happy for the fans. The Tigers absolutely sucked my whole baseball life until this year. That must have been rough.

On the plus side, at least the Sox own them. It doesn't nearly compare to Minnesota winning it.

mccoydp
10-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Like BatmanZoso said, better Detroit than the Twinkies.

Well done, well done.

batmanZoSo
10-14-2006, 10:53 PM
By the way, Mitch Albom sucks. He's gonna meet his five people tonight if he doesn't et cetera...

:o:

southside rocks
10-14-2006, 11:01 PM
The Tigers have the mojo this year, that mojo that the White Sox had in 2005. Oakland was never going to stop them.

Hats off to the Tiggers, and to Jim Leyland, who should get the AL Manager of the Year award.

I can't stand Mitch Albom. His books read like they were written on paper soaked in corn syrup.

Fenway
10-14-2006, 11:02 PM
By the way, Mitch Albom sucks. He's gonna meet his five people tonight if he doesn't et cetera...

:o:

I can't believe how every Starbucks is pushing his new book

Dan the Man
10-15-2006, 01:11 AM
As much as I would not like to like it, that story is awesome.

buehrle4cy05
10-15-2006, 01:25 AM
As much as I would not like to like it, that story is awesome.

I feel the same way. The White Sox fan in me makes me want to turn away in disgust, but the baseball fan in me is really happy for Detroit. If they win the World Series, I'll be happy for 23 players on that team (the two I'm excluding are Ivan Roidriguez and Craig Monroe) plus the fans. From my experience with Detroit fans, they are class acts (although that was only three home games this year).

Next year, I'll go right back to hating them. But with the Sox out of it, the baseball fan in me takes over.

PKalltheway
10-15-2006, 01:45 AM
That is an amazing stat
This is the first ALCS sweep since 1990 when Oakland swept Boston. Now it's Oakland who is getting swept. Sometimes what goes around, comes around. Sometimes.

IronFisk
10-15-2006, 02:32 AM
Like BatmanZoso said, better Detroit than the Twinkies.

Well done, well done.

Amen brother!

Tiger Style
10-15-2006, 04:43 AM
:gulp: :bandance: :gulp:

cbotnyse
10-15-2006, 08:17 AM
:gulp: :bandance: :gulp:I am happy for you guys, but if you post here, have somethine to say, dont just come here to celebrate. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

harwar
10-15-2006, 08:59 AM
The AL Central will be ignored no more.
The yankees and red sox imploded and were crushed under their own weight.
Its going to be one giant furball next year between the White Sox,tigers,indians,twins,and even the royals.

Huisj
10-15-2006, 02:04 PM
I have to admit that I'm a little bit happy at least for a lot of my friends that I grew up with here. Most of them really didn't grow up paying much attention to baseball at all because the Tigers were bad through starting in the late 80s and then all through the 90s when we were getting old enough to get really interested in sports. There just wasn't anything exciting about them except maybe Cecil Fielder back in those days. Honestly, I can't blame them for not becoming big fans, because they just weren't interesting.

I also like it that this season has finally helped get older Tiger fans over the loss of Tiger Stadium. Ever since the Tigers built Comerica, they had done nothing but play bad, so there were no good memories of the place at all. It was a nice stadium, but fans never seemed to accept it because they missed old Tiger Stadium (and the history and championships memories that went with it). Now, there's something magical for them to remember and associate with Comerica, and it's like they've finally come to recognize what a nice stadium it really is. I've been there a number of times, and I love it.

So I guess, while I'd obviously much rather see the Sox doing this again, and while I'm definitely not a Tigers fan through this, I am happy for what it's done for baseball in this, my home state. I've never before been able to talk baseball with so many of my friends, I've never had them wanting to get together to watch games on TV, and I've never seen so much actual baseball coverage here as I've seen lately.

chisoxmike
10-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Golfers clap.

chisoxmike
10-15-2006, 02:14 PM
The last thing I was doing when the Sox won the AL and World Series was go to the Twins, Tigers, and Cubs sites and celebrate.

CLR01
10-15-2006, 02:43 PM

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/bye.gif

:moonwalk: :gulp: :supernana: :gulp: :moonwalk:

chisoxmike
10-15-2006, 02:47 PM
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/bye.gif

:moonwalk: :gulp: :supernana: :gulp: :moonwalk:

:putitontheboard

SOXSINCE'70
10-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Congrats, but still.....

:puking:

And I echo those sentiments.:angry:

SOXSINCE'70
10-15-2006, 05:01 PM
By the way, Mitch Albom sucks.

I'm with you there.I can't stand his lame Michigan ass.:angry:
I constantly refer to him as "All-Bum".

Oblong
10-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Nobody in Detroit really likes him either. He isn't nice to people. You hear lots of stories from waiters, cabbies, etc. that say he's just a jerk. His columns have a whiff of "You are not that smart so I need to set you straight" to them. He has a natural contempt for people.

He's also not really a sports writer anymore. He mainly does the big events. Other than that, he's hanging out in NY and with Oprah.

cbotnyse
10-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Nobody in Detroit really likes him either. He isn't nice to people. You hear lots of stories from waiters, cabbies, etc. that say he's just a jerk. His columns have a whiff of "You are not that smart so I need to set you straight" to them. He has a natural contempt for people.

He's also not really a sports writer anymore. He mainly does the big events. Other than that, he's hanging out in NY and with Oprah.Unlike your buddy tigerstyle, you come here to post without mindlessly trolling. But I'd like to know, what were you doing last night for the big win? Watching the celebration really reminded me of last year, and I remember exactly where I was. I suspect you will too. Next year that is, when you are watching the Sox move on the the World Series. :cool:

Tiger23
10-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Unlike your buddy tigerstyle, you come here to post without mindlessly trolling. But I'd like to know, what were you doing last night for the big win? Watching the celebration really reminded me of last year, and I remember exactly where I was. I suspect you will too. Next year that is, when you are watching the Sox move on the the World Series. :cool:

I know you asked Oblong and not me, but I was sitting all alone in my apartment recovering from a morning of tailgating, and I will regret it for a long time. In a visit to the local watering hole later that night I was informed by some friends about the celebration that occured after the home run and am astonished that i let myself miss it. Hopefully there will be one more shortly that i can get in on.

HotelWhiteSox
10-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Kind of funny to read the 10/1 article. I forgot about the exact stat, but about how two other teams backed into the playoffs like the Tigers did and they both won the World Series.

The Tigers guy really isn't trolling, it's a Tigers thread in talking baseball and they just got into the Series. Not a Clubhouse thread reflecting on the Sox season or next year, that would be trolling. Crying about it sounds like being soar losers

cbotnyse
10-15-2006, 11:00 PM
I know you asked Oblong and not me, but I was sitting all alone in my apartment recovering from a morning of tailgating, and I will regret it for a long time. In a visit to the local watering hole later that night I was informed by some friends about the celebration that occured after the home run and am astonished that i let myself miss it. Hopefully there will be one more shortly that i can get in on.I did the same damn thing for the World Series last year. I partied so hard for game 1, I spent game 2 watching at home, hungover as hell. And of course game 2 was probably the most exciting game of all time. (Podsednik walk off HR). I vowed never to let that happen to me again.

Myrtle72
10-15-2006, 11:15 PM
I know you asked Oblong and not me, but I was sitting all alone in my apartment recovering from a morning of tailgating, and I will regret it for a long time. In a visit to the local watering hole later that night I was informed by some friends about the celebration that occured after the home run and am astonished that i let myself miss it. Hopefully there will be one more shortly that i can get in on.

Awwwh, too bad. But don't worry - you'll have more exciting games to celebrate when the WS starts.

Oblong
10-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Unlike your buddy tigerstyle, you come here to post without mindlessly trolling. But I'd like to know, what were you doing last night for the big win? Watching the celebration really reminded me of last year, and I remember exactly where I was. I suspect you will too. Next year that is, when you are watching the Sox move on the the World Series. :cool:

Last week for the Yankee games I was at both games. The clinching game happened to be my birthday and I honestly do not remember anything after about 10 pm. I couldn't really talk or do much on Sunday and Monday. M

I have tickets to all the games and for the ALCS I decided to sell my game 2 (Series game 4) to a friend to help off set the cost. I figured there wouldn't be a sweep so I was safe. So I was at home watching it. When Maggs hit the HR I was on the phone with my uncle. THey were at a wedding and I was doing the play by play. When they heard me yell, drop the phone, and screaming throughout the house, they figured out what happened.

My friend who bought the tickets owes me a big favor.

cbotnyse
10-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Last week for the Yankee games I was at both games. The clinching game happened to be my birthday and I honestly do not remember anything after about 10 pm. I couldn't really talk or do much on Sunday and Monday. M

I have tickets to all the games and for the ALCS I decided to sell my game 2 (Series game 4) to a friend to help off set the cost. I figured there wouldn't be a sweep so I was safe. So I was at home watching it. When Maggs hit the HR I was on the phone with my uncle. THey were at a wedding and I was doing the play by play. When they heard me yell, drop the phone, and screaming throughout the house, they figured out what happened.

My friend who bought the tickets owes me a big favor.you could say that again!

Tragg
10-17-2006, 11:07 PM
I'm for DEtroit in all of this, I guess.
But, to be honest, I haven't watched 2 innings of the post season and have avoided most baseball sites since Oakland plunked us in September. It just makes me ill that we aren't in the playoffs, so I can't watch others.
But I'll get over it.