PDA

View Full Version : Where does the new press box go?

scottyl
10-14-2006, 06:49 PM
From a White Sox.com article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061013&content_id=1711248&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws):

Along with the new sponsorship, the White Sox will be changing the current pressbox area, which is directly up from home plate, into a premium seating area featuring four rows with 220 seats in total. The plan will be very similar to the United Scout seats, with the package including parking, dinner and in-seat wait service. A new state-of-the-art pressbox will be constructed on the fourth level of the first-base side of the stadium.

Huh? I can't visualize where they are going to put this. Are seats coming out to make room for it? The seating levels I'm familiar with are 100, 300 and 500. What is the fourth level? Is this skybox space?

jabrch
10-14-2006, 06:59 PM
From a White Sox.com article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061013&content_id=1711248&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws):

Along with the new sponsorship, the White Sox will be changing the current pressbox area, which is directly up from home plate, into a premium seating area featuring four rows with 220 seats in total. The plan will be very similar to the United Scout seats, with the package including parking, dinner and in-seat wait service. A new state-of-the-art pressbox will be constructed on the fourth level of the first-base side of the stadium.

Huh? I can't visualize where they are going to put this. Are seats coming out to make room for it? The seating levels I'm familiar with are 100, 300 and 500. What is the fourth level? Is this skybox space?

The fourth level is the current skyboxes...probably this will be in the boxes half way down the line that are not occupied often. Premium seats behind the plate in the box area should sell well, and for a lot of money. Good for the team - glad they are capitalizing on this while they can!

Viva Medias B's
10-14-2006, 07:16 PM
The Fourth Estate is going to rake us over the coals for relocating them from behind home plate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but every ballpark that I know of has its press box behind the plate in some way.

Fenway
10-14-2006, 08:53 PM
I can't fathom broadcasters being on the side...

salty99
10-14-2006, 09:00 PM
The broadcasters are not moving. They are located in the row of boxes above the press box.

DumpJerry
10-14-2006, 11:02 PM
The press covers us?

ondafarm
10-15-2006, 01:38 PM
The Fourth Estate is going to rake us over the coals for relocating them from behind home plate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but every ballpark that I know of has its press box behind the plate in some way.

How much worse can it get?

I have seen a few ballparks where the press box wasn't directly behind the plate.

I mean really, the two press members who most of America knows who claim to regularly cover the White Sox are Jay Mornotti and Phil Rogers. IMO, both of these guys are idiots and know less about baseball than my mother.

Law11
10-15-2006, 01:45 PM
The press box is the print guys.. They can be on the roof as far as I'm concerned.. The TV/radio guys will not move.

hose
10-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Where does the press box go?

First off is Jay Marriotti in it? (....evil grin)

Red Barchetta
10-15-2006, 02:38 PM
I can see "read" it now about how the press, used to great free seats immediately behind home plate, will now have to report from the 1B line.

I think it's a great idea to capitalize on the SOX success. I had always thought the umpire tunnel prior to the Scout Seats was the biggest waist of space (and potential income for premium seats) in the ballpark. It looked bad on TV as well.

The Racehorse
10-15-2006, 03:06 PM
The press covers us?

Please say it's so!

itsnotrequired
10-16-2006, 07:04 AM
WSI's own chisoxmike did some stuff in the pressbox last season. Perhaps he can offer some insight as to what this move means to him (500 words or less).

Lip Man 1
10-16-2006, 12:12 PM
I was in the press box this May for a Sunday game vs. Kansas City. It's hard to tell what the impact will be because I've never even looked on to the field from the new press box location. It's hard to guess what it will look like.

My immediate reaction will be if the view is more towards the side. It's going to be very hard to tell balls and strikes.

Lip

hsnterprize
10-16-2006, 12:25 PM
WSI's own chisoxmike did some stuff in the pressbox last season. Perhaps he can offer some insight as to what this move means to him (500 words or less).I've been in the press box a few times, and I'm not quite sure what this move will mean. If it means the new press box will be updated with all the modern bells and whistles and such, then fine. I don't mind the area moving to a different part of the ballpark if it means that part of the park will be used more efficiently, and bring more of a pleasant experience to going to a White Sox game. I admit I'll miss the view from behind home plate, but the view from the club level on the 1st base side is a very nice view.

Lip, it won't be any harder to tell balls from strikes sitting in the new press box than if you were sitting on the club level, so I wouldn't panic. Sometimes it was hard to tell balls from strikes in the box's old location. Monitors hanging from the ceiling helped in that.

I also hope they put that grill in the new location. There was a grill behind where the radio reporters would sit (not the radio broadcasters who would announce the games...they're in the "upper level" of the press box that's still remaining), and they would serve hot dogs and hamburgers with curly fries for $3.00, and have unlimited soda and popcorn. Their burgers were pretty good. Or who knows...maybe they'll put some more options in the new box. We'll see.

Steelrod
10-16-2006, 01:40 PM
I was in the press box this May for a Sunday game vs. Kansas City. It's hard to tell what the impact will be because I've never even looked on to the field from the new press box location. It's hard to guess what it will look like.

My immediate reaction will be if the view is more towards the side. It's going to be very hard to tell balls and strikes.

Lip
The players and umpires have that same problem sometimes. from home plate!

NoNeckEra
10-17-2006, 11:42 AM
I also hope they put that grill in the new location. There was a grill behind where the radio reporters would sit (not the radio broadcasters who would announce the games...they're in the "upper level" of the press box that's still remaining), and they would serve hot dogs and hamburgers with curly fries for $3.00, and have unlimited soda and popcorn. Their burgers were pretty good. Or who knows...maybe they'll put some more options in the new box. We'll see.
It's a standing joke but it's true: This is all media people care about anyway(free food). For the most part, the press box is a convenient place to put the writers and radio reporters(non play by play stations) during the game, while they wait to go down to the locker room after the game and get their 3 inches of copy or 18 seconds of tape. Times are changin', and the days of catering to the media(no pun intended) are slowly coming to an end.