PDA

View Full Version : I found Mike Caruso

Jerry_Manuel
03-02-2002, 04:04 PM
He's with the Reds now.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020302/capt.1015091411reds_rangers_spring_flmk101.jpg
Cincinnati Reds' Mike Caruso, left, tags out Texas Rangers' Jason Maxwell, right, during the 6th inning of their first game of a double header Saturday, March 2, 2002, in Port Charlotte, Fla. Maxwell was caught in a run down after an attempted hit-and-run. (AP Photo/Mike King)

RKMeibalane
03-02-2002, 04:12 PM
Maybe the Reds will hit him in the cleanup spot, behind Ken Griffey Jr. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

:):):):)

Wheee!

CerberusWG
03-02-2002, 04:43 PM
Little trouble getting the ball out of the glove, Mike?

RedPinStripes
03-02-2002, 04:46 PM
He was supposed to be the Sox savior. lol

duke of dorwood
03-02-2002, 05:08 PM
:hitless

Now you glad I'm here?

Daver
03-02-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
:hitless

Now you glad I'm here?

No.

duke of dorwood
03-02-2002, 05:36 PM
wasn't Mike's full year here defensively similar to Manos in 2000?

SOXSINCE'70
03-02-2002, 05:56 PM
My "Mike Caruso Moment"

In the third game of a 3 game set against the sCrUBS in '99,he hit a go ahead homer into the "cheap basket" in right field.The Sox swept the sCrUBS,and the key to my car broke off in the driver's side car door.Cal Ripken went 6 for 6 later that night,the next day a locksmith helped me out (my spare key didn't work,either) to the tune of $150.00 .What a day!!Damn you,Mike Caruso!! But thanks for the memory.

:nocubs

Scumbagotti is an ass kisser!!

baggio202
03-02-2002, 06:18 PM
i rather have caruso than clayton..atleast he wouldnt cost us 4.5 million which causes other teams gm's to laugh right in the face of KW when he mentions clayton's name in a trade

RedPinStripes
03-02-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
i rather have caruso than clayton..atleast he wouldnt cost us 4.5 million which causes other teams gm's to laugh right in the face of KW when he mentions clayton's name in a trade

I don't know about that. Caruso is pretty bad, and as much as I hate Royce, I'd take him over Caruso.

RKMeibalane
03-02-2002, 07:03 PM
Clayton sucks, but there's no way he's as bad as Caruso, the little leaguer. Anyone who barely makes the basket at Wrigley needs to just give up and go home.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-02-2002, 07:13 PM
The next time somebody suggests you were "wrong" about not supporting the White Flag Trade, you ought to just whip out that photograph of Mike Caruso. He was, after all, suppose to be the centerpiece of the deal. Ron Schueler needed this Single-A phenom to step into the everyday shortstop position because there was no way he was going to re-sign Ozzie Guillen, even as the vet indicated he would take a small fraction of his former salary.

Ozzie left, Caruso was promoted, and thanks to plenty of infield hits in 1998, the Sox wasted no time hyping Caruso as the greatest rookie since Minnie Minoso in their 1999 marketing. He was still the centerpiece as late as April, 1999. That's when the roof caved in.

We all know how he sucked in 1999, and he was off the team by 2000.

Did we get back into playoff contention quicker by making that trade? Perhaps, but not for the reasons Schueler was hyping in 1997-99. Foulke, Howry, and Barcelo all took backseats to Mighty Mike. OTOH, it's clear the trade costs the team even more credibility with its fans. Could we have done better letting Alvarez, Hernandez, and the rest leave via free agency and earning ourselves some extra first-round sandwich picks? No Sox Fan can ever be really sure.

:reinsy
"Gee, who ever called Sox Fans wrong?"

czalgosz
03-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The next time somebody suggests you were "wrong" about not supporting the White Flag Trade, you ought to just whip out that photograph of Mike Caruso. He was, after all, suppose to be the centerpiece of the deal. Ron Schueler needed this Single-A phenom to step into the everyday shortstop position because there was no way he was going to re-sign Ozzie Guillen, even as the vet indicated he would take a small fraction of his former salary.

Ozzie left, Caruso was promoted, and thanks to plenty of infield hits in 1998, the Sox wasted no time hyping Caruso as the greatest rookie since Minnie Minoso in their 1999 marketing. He was still the centerpiece as late as April, 1999. That's when the roof caved in.

We all know how he sucked in 1999, and he was off the team by 2000.

Did we get back into playoff contention quicker by making that trade? Perhaps, but not for the reasons Schueler was hyping in 1997-99. Foulke, Howry, and Barcelo all took backseats to Mighty Mike. OTOH, it's clear the trade costs the team even more credibility with its fans. Could we have done better letting Alvarez, Hernandez, and the rest leave via free agency and earning ourselves some extra first-round sandwich picks? No Sox Fan can ever be really sure.

"Gee, who ever called Sox Fans wrong?"

Actually, the White Flag trade didn't piss me off, even at the time. Of course, I have to qualify that by saying that I was in college at the time, so there were a lot of distractions. What I do remember was that we were going to lose most of the team after the '97 season anyway, and the Sox minor-league system looked awful at the time.

Seeing your sig, I can see why it wouldn't go over well with you, but we've already established that you and I have different fundamental philosophies about stuff like that, so I won't go further into that.

You did mention the thing that really did piss me off - letting Guillen go. Losing Ventura hurt, as well, but like you mentioned, it wouldn't have really cost the Sox much to bring Guillen back. And with Guillen as SS for one more year, and one more year of development for Caruso, things could have worked out much better. Schueler and Bevington dropped the ball on that one.

baggio202
03-02-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I don't know about that. Caruso is pretty bad, and as much as I hate Royce, I'd take him over Caruso.

i think you missed my point...if we had caruso..making not much more than the league minumum...we could have easily moved him as a throw in and put jose back on SS and your boy crede on 3rd..or the guy i like liefer over there...but with clayton and his 4.5 million dollar contract..nobody in their right mind would take "clayton island" of our hands...

PaleHoseGeorge
03-02-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
....You did mention the thing that really did piss me off - letting Guillen go. Losing Ventura hurt, as well, but like you mentioned, it wouldn't have really cost the Sox much to bring Guillen back. And with Guillen as SS for one more year, and one more year of development for Caruso, things could have worked out much better. Schueler and Bevington dropped the ball on that one.

I agree that there are plenty of reasons to think the WFT was a success, and I know plenty of loyal Sox Fans who agreed with Schueler's move.

Guillen's role is one that often gets overlooked. He was definitely overpaid in 1997, and after the WFT, the team was not going to compete in 1998 anyway. From this perspective, saving money on Guillen's salary made sense.

However, Schueler rushed Caruso to fill Guillen's shoes. I'm not convinced Caruso ever had the skills to be a big league shortstop, but Schueler nearly ensured the kid's failure by throwing him into the center of the WFT debate and making him 1998 opening day starting shortstop.

This was sooooo unnecessary. Wasn't there anybody else's lousy shortstop available for 1-2 seasons while Caruso developed in AA/AAA? Could Guillen have costs us that much on a losing ballclub?

"Caruso definitely costed me less money than Guillen. So your point would be?"

LongDistanceFan
03-02-2002, 08:23 PM
i rather have caruso than clayton..atleast he wouldnt cost us 4.5 million which causes other teams gm's to laugh right in the face of KW when he mentions clayton's name in a trade esp when other GM's were warning him of the tool's attitude.

RedPinStripes
03-02-2002, 09:44 PM

i think you missed my point...if we had caruso..making not much more than the league minumum...we could have easily moved him as a throw in and put jose back on SS and your boy crede on 3rd..or the guy i like liefer over there...but with clayton and his 4.5 million dollar contract..nobody in their right mind would take "clayton island" of our hands...

If it means Caruso is off the bench, Royce is gone, Crede at 3rd and Jose back at SS, I'M SOLD!