PDA

View Full Version : Piniella in as Cubs manager?

cbotnyse
10-14-2006, 02:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2625334

I hope he has a few legendary blowups next season. :D:

MUsoxfan
10-14-2006, 02:38 PM
That's the best thing the Cubs can do to keep up their tradition of futility. If they wanted to win, Girardi would already have the job

23Ventura
10-14-2006, 03:01 PM
I think Piniella is a good manager, but it doesn't matter who manages the Cubs, they're not gonna be good unless they get some better players.

thomas35forever
10-14-2006, 03:07 PM
I think Piniella is a good manager, but it doesn't matter who manages the Cubs, they're not gonna be good unless they get some better players.
Ditto. You could pull John McGraw and Connie Mack from their graves to manage them and they'd still lose with their current roster.

esbrechtel
10-14-2006, 03:29 PM
i read somewhere that hawk said if Lou comes to the cubs then chicago would have the two best managers in baseball in the same city...although i think lou is a good MGR i think the cubs problems are more complicated than that

dickallen15
10-14-2006, 03:30 PM
As a Cub hater, Lou Piniella as Cub manager is terrible news. He took trash with Seattle and made them a great team. He won the WS with the Reds. He won't put up with the crap Baker put up with. This is a smart move by the Cubs if they hire him. It will be one that doesn't blow up in their faces like jus about every other move they make. Bochy would have been the second coming of Jim Riggleman.

havelj
10-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Seattle trash?

Didn't he go to a team with Griffey, Randy Johnson, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Omar Vizquel, later A-Rod?

MUsoxfan
10-14-2006, 04:17 PM
As a Cub hater, Lou Piniella as Cub manager is terrible news. He took trash with Seattle and made them a great team. He won the WS with the Reds. He won't put up with the crap Baker put up with. This is a smart move by the Cubs if they hire him. It will be one that doesn't blow up in their faces like jus about every other move they make. Bochy would have been the second coming of Jim Riggleman.

1) He took a good team with Seattle and made them really really good. Most recently he took a craptacular Tampa team and left them equally craptastic

2) He won the WS with the Reds close to 2 decades ago

3) He'll put up with the very same crap that Baker put up with because he's 63 years old and it's pretty obvious to me the fire doesn't burn for him as hot as it once did.

NoShoesJoe
10-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Ditto. You could pull John McGraw and Connie Mack from their graves to manage them and they'd still lose with their current roster.

They should prop Billy Martin up in the corner of the dugout. He'd do a better job than Dusty.

tebman
10-14-2006, 04:27 PM

Good luck, Lou. If this turns out to be true, I will be amazed if he doesn't fizzle out in a few years after laboring under the weight of the Cubs' tradition. The Tribune only cares about the "product" of the Cubs, which is that ballpark. Friendly confines, leafy walls, etc. The Tribune has made a lot of money in the last 20 years selling the ballpark and not baseball.

Piniella will come up against the same frustrating corporate zombies that Dallas Green did. Wrigley Field is where managerial careers go to die.

dickallen15
10-14-2006, 04:30 PM
1) He took a good team with Seattle and made them really really good. Most recently he took a craptacular Tampa team and left them equally craptastic

2) He won the WS with the Reds close to 2 decades ago

3) He'll put up with the very same crap that Baker put up with because he's 63 years old and it's pretty obvious to me the fire doesn't burn for him as hot as it once did.
We definitely have different ideas of what a good team is. He took over a team in Seattle that lost 98 games the year before he got there, and they went 82-80 his first season. They had 1 .500 season in their history before he got there, and had 6 or 7 when he was there. He won the WS in 1990, sweeping an A's team that was supposed to roll over the Reds. He's long been regarded as one of the best, if not the best, managers in the game. His record in TB is irrelevant, as TBs ownership provided him zero tools to win. If the Cubs raise their payroll to $115 million like the rumor says, you are fooling yourself if you think Lou isn't going to be successful. He is not a guy that will put up with crap regardless if he is 63 years old.

soxwon
10-14-2006, 04:36 PM

i agree this is awful news for us wsox.
lou will get all the headlines, and believe me the Cubs are going to become winners again.
and with how this season turned out for us, unless we get into the playoffs next year (which we should), the Flubs as Winners is not GOOD.
it will keep us under the radar (as KW likes it) but if and when the Cubs start winning.
We just might get buried in this town.

Im sure KW will do something Huge to offset this move.
I see an AROD trade here. But you never know.

cbotnyse
10-14-2006, 04:43 PM
lou will get all the headlines, and believe me the Cubs are going to become winners again.
and with how this season turned out for us, unless we get into the playoffs next year (which we should), the Flubs as Winners is not GOOD.
it will keep us under the radar (as KW likes it) but if and when the Cubs start winning.

I see an AROD trade here. But you never know.IMHO, I dont think KW gives a rats ass what the Cubs are doing.

And I dont think we will get buried in this town until the Cubs win a world series, or at the very least, get there. Which I really dont see happening.

23Ventura
10-14-2006, 04:45 PM

I don't really think this is awful news for the Sox. Is Lou gonna cause us to lose in the 6 games that we'll actually play against them?

I also don't think that the Cubs are going to become winners (I don't think you needed to use the word "again") Lou Piniella isn't going to make a bunch of crappy players suddenly great.

soxwon
10-14-2006, 04:46 PM
IMHO, I dont think KW gives a rats ass what the Cubs are doing.

And I dont think we will get buried in this town until the Cubs win a world series, or at the very least, get there. Which I really dont see happening.

actually i think he does care.
he hates the cubs as much as we do.

23Ventura
10-14-2006, 04:49 PM
actually i think he does care.
he hates the cubs as much as we do.
I'm sure he cares a whole lot more about what moves the Twins, Tigers, and Indians make this offseason than the Cubs. They aren't in our division, they aren't even in the same league, why would KW make a move just because the Cubs made a move?

Craig Grebeck
10-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Those that think this will make a difference are kidding themselves. If the payroll is bumped to 115 and the proper moves are made then ANYONE could manage them to the NLCS. All you need is someone to fill out the lineup card.

cbotnyse
10-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Those that think this will make a difference are kidding themselves. If the payroll is bumped to 115 and the proper moves are made then ANYONE could manage them to the NLCS. All you need is someone to fill out the lineup card.maybe, but this is the Cubs we are talking about.

TDog
10-14-2006, 05:03 PM

I don't think the Cubs would become winners (again?) under Lou Piniella. Really, they wouldn't need to. The reason to sign him would be to keep the fantasy of a winning Cubs team alive. Sell tickets. Hold some back to scalp them. In the National League, particularly in the National League Central, it should be possible to keep the fantasy of winning alive longer.

The White Sox may well be buried in Chicago even if the Cubs don't win. Even if the Sox do. And being the favorite team in Chicago is to the Cubs what winning the World Series was to the Sox.

havelj
10-14-2006, 05:09 PM
I don't think Lou will be here...wanna know why?
CASH

As soon as he names his price, watch what happens. I still say Brenley.

vegyrex
10-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Bring back the college of coaches!!:D:

southside rocks
10-14-2006, 10:14 PM
There was a more detailed article that said pretty much the same thing, in this morning's Sun-Times.
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/96509,CST-SPT-deluca14.article

I say it's good for the Sox. Maybe next spring all the brain-dead sportswriters will move in to the north side ballpark and won't give so much print to every dumb thing Ozzie says.

Since I don't read the Cubune, and since the Daily Southtown will continue to give more coverage to the Sox, I'll enjoy that.

chaerulez
10-15-2006, 04:49 AM
While I still believe Girardi would be the better hire I can see why Piniella is the man favored and not Girardi.

1) Girardi had very public disagreements with the GM and owner of the Marlins. Especially in the corporate enviroment that is the Cubs, that doesn't look very good. You can probably get away with coach/manager-owner disputes more in a private ownership.

2) The Cubs being very image concious wanted a big name. Like how they made the splash with Baker. Hendry wants to make sure he stays for longer than a one or two years.

3) The team probably doesn't think Girardi can handle high priced veterans well. Either that they have nothing to base that on, because he hasn't had the chance. Willis and Miggy aren't being paid that much and still young, so his managerial style worked on them like it did the other no name youngsters. But would a Rameriz, Jacque Jones, Mark Prior, Bobby Howry, and Michael Barrett buy into the way Girardi does things? Hard to say, but with Piniella who has dealt with A-Rod, Griffey, and Randy Johnson- his experience with big name players isn't questioned.

4) They are also going to make a move for A-Rod and get a manager that can bring out the best in him.

Vernam
10-15-2006, 07:31 AM
There was a more detailed article that said pretty much the same thing, in this morning's Sun-Times.
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/96509,CST-SPT-deluca14.article

Not sure what to make of this quote from that story:

On the day the door closed on his possible return to the New York Yankees this week, Piniella revealed to the Sun-Times how highly he regards the Cubs job. ''The Cubs, basically, outside of the Yankees, they are, prestige-wise in baseball, second or third,'' Piniella said.

:?:

Vernam

cbotnyse
10-15-2006, 07:36 AM
:?:

Vernamwow, good find. That could be one of the dumbest things I ever heard someone say. Prestige? for what? losing for 100 years?

southside rocks
10-15-2006, 07:40 AM

Quote:
On the day the door closed on his possible return to the New York Yankees this week, Piniella revealed to the Sun-Times how highly he regards the Cubs job. ''The Cubs, basically, outside of the Yankees, they are, prestige-wise in baseball, second or third,'' Piniella said.

I saw that too, and the first thought I had was "Prestige?? Um, not in baseball terms, Lou."

Apparently Lou is willing to be swept away by the "mystique" (what is that, French for "bad smell"?) of the Urinal and the tradition of lovable losing (an oxymoron if ever there was one) that is rooted on the north side.

It's a mindset I can't fathom, but it sure sounds like Lou downed a nice big glass of kool-aid, doesn't it! Can't wait to see him in that absurd uniform that looks like kids' pajamas.

harwar
10-15-2006, 07:46 AM
I dont think KW gives a rats ass what the Cubs are doing.

In his most recent interview KW said that making Chicago a White Sox town again was one of his goals.

WSox597
10-15-2006, 07:50 AM
because he's 63 years old and it's pretty obvious to me the fire doesn't burn for him as hot as it once did.

How old is Leyland? And how old was the manager of the Marlins when they went to the Series twice? Which is twice as many times as the Cubs and Sox in the last 30+ years.

Piniella is making a big mistake coming to this team if he takes the job. He'll get ground up by the same BS and move on to his next job with more gray hair and ulcers.

As someone else said, he'll probably have some memorable losing-his-cool moments. He may set the record, formerly held by Bobby Knight, for long distance folding chair toss. "And it's out on Waveland Avenue!!" :D:

cbotnyse
10-15-2006, 08:04 AM
In his most recent interview KW said that making Chicago a White Sox town again was one of his goals.Ok, but to reach that goal I'm sure he wants to win another World Series and become a contender every year. And to do that, he has to pay more attention to the moves the teams in our division make.

I dont think Kenny wants to one up the Cubs for every move they make. Thats my take on it.

TornLabrum
10-15-2006, 09:13 AM
wow, good find. That could be one of the dumbest things I ever heard someone say. Prestige? for what? losing for 100 years?

Income. Dusty was making $4 million a year, wasn't he?

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Income. Dusty was making $4 million a year, wasn't he?

I thought is was closer to 5, but doesn't matter.

I like Piniella. I think he's got a great insight to baseball doing color for Fox. That being said, I think he will end up managing "wildcard" caliber Cub teams til the beginning of September, then they will fold because there will be NO investment in that team on a go forward basis.

I bet they even re-sign Wood to "bolster" a new manager. Brilliance.

October26
10-15-2006, 09:49 AM
It's gonna be interesting to have Ozzie and Lou in the same city. They are both animated and interesting characters to say the least. It's gonna be an interesting season indeed for Chicago baseball in 2007.

The Sox/Cubs series will be even more intense, because Piniella hates losing. Piniella is a proven manager (we all remember what he did to Manuel in the 2000 ALDS). I think Ozzie will be up for the challenge. :smile:

southside rocks
10-15-2006, 11:17 AM
An interesting column in today's Sun-Times about why Lou would be the wrong choice for the Cubs job -- says that Piniella really wants to manage the Yankees, and would always have one eye on New York even if he came to Chicago. http://tinyurl.com/ygupxo

The columnist, Rick Telander, is pushing for Joe Girardi, but that seems unlikely to happen -- my bet is still Bob Brenly, if it's not Sweet Lou.

Also interesting, I had forgotten just how poor Piniella's record was in Florida -- from the column:

He fumed, fussed and guided his spark-less teams to three consecutive 90-plus-loss seasons, ending his stay in his hometown of Tampa with a 200-283 record.

And this guy is supposed to be an improvement over Dusty Baker? Um -- okay ... :rolleyes:

TornLabrum
10-15-2006, 11:43 AM
And in my next column, submitted to PHG an hour or so ago, I explain why Piniella is the perfect choice from the Cubs' perspective. I noted his W-L record in St. Pete in the column also.

DrCrawdad
10-16-2006, 07:03 AM
Lou, there are two franchises that have not won in at least 98 years - the Cubs and the Devil Rays. How does it feel to now have managed for both? Are the Cubs simply the Devil Rays with large budget? So how do you see things going any differently here?

kevingrt
10-16-2006, 09:01 AM
I'm with many analysts out there sayign this cannot be the best job for Pinella at this time of his career. He's going into an organization that historically sucks, there is no other way you can put it. He is going into a team that showed little to no promise whatsoever last season.

Why would he do this? There are more promising teams out there with job openings. You have the Marlins who despite the market and the fans are a winning ballclub. If history is correct they should win the World Series in 2008.

I just think there are much better options out there for Pinella, but so be it. We will have to beat his arse year in and year out now.

southside rocks
10-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Well, today's Sun-Times says that the announcement of Piniella as Cubs manager should be made this week, possibly as early as tomorrow.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/98282,CST-SPT-cub16.article

I called Brenly to the Cubs, so I was wrong on that, but I called Girardi to the Nats, and I still think that's going to happen. Brenly might wind up in San Fran? And where, oh where, will Dusty go??? :rolleyes:

Hangar18
10-16-2006, 09:17 AM

....Its almost as if .....the SOX never won the World Series 12 months ago.
Has anyone else noticed? It has gotten ridiculous the last month and a half, the amount of hype and hysteria that other team has gotten, especially this weekend. The newspapers and talkshows were mega-ga ga over the idea of Lou Piniella coming to the Cubs, and "bringing Chicago a World Series". Its disturbing and downright sickening

southside rocks
10-16-2006, 09:23 AM
....Its almost as if .....the SOX never won the World Series 12 months ago.
Has anyone else noticed? It has gotten ridiculous the last month and a half, the amount of hype and hysteria that other team has gotten, especially this weekend. The newspapers and talkshows were mega-ga ga over the idea of Lou Piniella coming to the Cubs, and "bringing Chicago a World Series". Its disturbing and downright sickening

I don't think it's quite that bad.

The Sox WS win is, unfortunately, not current news. The Cubs managerial circus is. It's also the off-season, which permits the media to ignore the Cubbies abysmal record and focus on the "mystique" and "prestige" of the club.

It's always going to be that way in a city that has two MLB teams, especially when one is owned by the largest newspaper in town. C'est la vie. Don't like it, don't read the Cubune. I subscribe to the Daily Southtown, myself. :cool:

I only hope that Juan Uribe's current troubles don't push the Cubs new manager story out of the headlines. That would be bad.

Hangar18
10-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Piniella is a FOOL if he takes the job here. Maybe its the $15 Million bucks ........ For him to take the job in Tampa, realize it was too hard, so he QUIT on them midstream, say he just wants to do TV work, then suddenly wants back in? I think his credibility is at an all-time Low.

Hes coming here because its a Free Meal Ticket. He realizes being the Cub Manager means:
Free drinks in chicago
Free dinner in chicago
Love from the Media unlike anything he has ever ever seen in his life
Treated like Royalty without having to have proven anything
Will get commercial endorsements, simply for being a manager of nsiders
All he has to do is just be "OK" as a manager. He'll be set for Life. Statue ceremonies will be started in 4 years ......

White Sox Randy
10-16-2006, 10:29 AM
They all take the flubs job for the same reason, they think they will become imortal heroes with a statue in their honor when the flubbies win it all.

They're all looking for the glory.......then reality sets in. Oh, that's ugly.

hose
10-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Lou is a great hire for the Cubs, I wish the Sox had him..I care more about the Sox getting their pitching and lead off position in order.

kevingrt
10-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Who cares if we go under the radar. Why do people still care about seeing the Sox in the Tribune, Herald or Suntimes? The articles about the Sox in local publications or national media have nothing to do with what the Sox do on the field.

Lip Man 1
10-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Piniella is an 'interesting' choice because he doesn't seem to fit the Tribune corporate mentality.

Dusty Baker was supposed to be the savior and he failed, now it's Lou's turn. The bottom line is you can have Casey Stengel, Walt Alston or Earl Weaver as manager but without top talent you lose, pure and simple.

Rumors continue to be out there (I have a high source on this) that the Tribune is going to put the Cubs up for sale soon, so we'll see.

Lip

Baby Fisk
10-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Lou wants to win, plain and simple. He got fed up / burned out in Tampa because the organization did little to build a winner. If the Cubs show the same non-winning attitude as they do at present, Lou will quickly get fed up / burned out again. As others have indicated above, the manager can only do so much with the tools he's given to work with.

palehozenychicty
10-16-2006, 12:59 PM
They'll just keep losing and Lou will get ejected more than ever...:D:

WizardsofOzzie
10-16-2006, 12:59 PM
To everyone who says the cubs are suddenly a contender now that they have Lou managing, needs to remove their heads from their collective asses and wait to see what the cubs do with their team. Lets not forget that the cubs have ZERO proven arms in their starting 5. Thats alot of holes to fill, not to mention their bullpen which didn't exactly earn its salary last year (especially in the closer spot). Pierre is a FA who will want more $$. They are going to have to boost their payroll well past 115 million to patch all the holes in that boat

The Critic
10-16-2006, 01:14 PM
To everyone who says the cubs are suddenly a contender now that they have Lou managing, needs to remove their heads from their collective asses and wait to see what the cubs do with their team. Lets not forget that the cubs have ZERO proven arms in their starting 5. Thats alot of holes to fill, not to mention their bullpen which didn't exactly earn its salary last year (especially in the closer spot). Pierre is a FA who will want more $$. They are going to have to boost their payroll well past 115 million to patch all the holes in that boat

Zambrano is fairly proven. Beyond him, you're right about the rotation.
They do have some holes to fill, but what they have to be happy about is the weakened state of the NL Central right now. If they make a couple smart moves for starting pitching, they will compete in that division.
It's not the World Series, but once you're in the tournament, theoretically anything can happen.

WizardsofOzzie
10-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Zambrano is fairly proven. Beyond him, you're right about the rotation.
They do have some holes to fill, but what they have to be happy about is the weakened state of the NL Central right now. If they make a couple smart moves for starting pitching, they will compete in that division.
It's not the World Series, but once you're in the tournament, theoretically anything can happen.

Ahhhhh forgot about him. You got me on that one, but i still think its too many holes to fill

ChiSoxGirl
10-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Piniella is a FOOL if he takes the job here. Maybe its the $15 Million bucks ........

I don't think this was the right decision on the part of the Cubs. Piniella was in Tampa Bay for three years. What kind of team are the Devil Rays? A mix of a bunch of young players with a couple of vets. What are the Cubs? A mix of a bunch of young players with a couple of veterans thrown in for good measure. See the similarities?

What makes the Cubs organization and their fans think he can take a bunch of young players on the north side and turn them into a winning team? In Piniella's tenure in Tampa Bay- from 2003-2005- the team went 63-99, 71-91, and 67-95 respectively. This is just my opinion, but it's my guess that his numbers on the north side will remain around the same.