PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Bob Sheppard

Fenway
10-13-2006, 08:18 PM
The long time PA announcer at Yankee Stadium turned 96 today.

NINETY-SIX

What a baeball icon :happybday

DoItForDanPasqua
10-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Bob Sheppard has announced over 4,500 Major League Baseball games, and has worked 22 World Series games. The first Yankee lineup Sheppard announced contained five future Hall of Famers: Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle, Johnny Mize, Yogi Berra and Phil Rizzuto.

dickallen15
10-14-2006, 03:47 PM
I think he also does NY football Giants games. I was in Yankee Stadium a couple of years ago when he announced Jose Valentin as the batter for 3 consecutive hitters, but I didn't care. His voice is definitely classic, and kudos to him for still working at 96.

Fenway
10-14-2006, 04:13 PM
I think he also does NY football Giants games. I was in Yankee Stadium a couple of years ago when he announced Jose Valentin as the batter for 3 consecutive hitters, but I didn't care. His voice is definitely classic, and kudos to him for still working at 96.

He retired from the Giants job last year as he didn't like driving to New Jersey anymore ( he still drives )

"Gifford carries......First Down New York"

http://ultimateyankees.com/bobsheppardbiography.htm

Despite his affection for names Sheppard is a former high school speech professor as well as one at St. John's University in Queens Sheppard has never felt compelled to get close to players.

"I'm not a hero worshipper," said Sheppard, a devout Catholic who also serves as a lector in church. "In all the years I've been here, I could probably count the number of times I've been in the clubhouse on my fingers less than 10 in 50 years. Rarely do I go in there, rarely do I have anything to say to the team or the team to me. If I see them in the dugout or around the field, we exchange hellos, but I do not get to know the players, and they don't get to know me."

Viva Medias B's
10-14-2006, 06:45 PM
"Now batting...for the Yankees...the shortstop...number two...Derek...Jeter...number two."

SouthSide_HitMen
10-14-2006, 07:12 PM
The best in the business. May he live and work until the next decade.

Fenway
11-22-2006, 12:49 PM

He just gave an interview that he hopes to open the new stadium in 2009 :smile:

For more than half a century, Bob Sheppard has greeted visitors to his workplace the same way: ``Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Yankee Stadium.''

The 96-year-old says he wants to keep on doing it when the New York Yankees move to their new ballpark in 2009.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a_r5hcomyX5I

Not every moment has been perfect.
In an early 1980s game, Sheppard introduced Yankees relief pitcher Shane Rawley, then watched Rawley give up a triple on his first pitch.

``What relief pitching,'' Sheppard exclaimed, forgetting to turn off his microphone.

Soon after, the hand switch was replaced by a foot pedal. :tongue:

wilburaga
11-22-2006, 02:07 PM
The Voice of God.

W

Fenway
11-22-2006, 02:11 PM
The Voice of God.

W

http://www.neworleansbaseball.com/articles/forfun/audiofiles/BobSheppard.mp3

soxinem1
11-24-2006, 09:37 PM

Or at least until the new Yankee Stadium opens.

Trav
11-25-2006, 04:50 PM
The only cool thing about Yankee Stadium. I don't care what anyone says, the place is a dive. Hearing him in person made the game for me.