PDA

View Full Version : Metra Proposes White Sox Stop

Hitmen77
10-13-2006, 05:43 PM
The stop could open as early as the '08 season according to this article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/newsroom/chi-061013metra-sox,1,1584667.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Law11
10-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Thats great news for the SW side. Now Metra needs that up here inthe NW burbs.. I dont see that happening...

batmanZoSo
10-13-2006, 06:16 PM
That would be very big for the Sox and the suburban people.

What about the Electric line that runs from University Park? What's the best way for those people to get to the park? I know that line would be a good hike east of the park even if there was a 35th stop.

MarySwiss
10-13-2006, 06:25 PM
I would have loved this option when I was in for COTC II and staying in Tinley. And I suspect Kevin57 might have liked it as well. :cool:

Timmy D's
10-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Thats great news for the SW side. Now Metra needs that up here inthe NW burbs.. I dont see that happening...

That would be nice, although I agree w/ ya, dont see it happening. Oh well on a good note, having to drive home keeps me somewhat in check as far as beer money goes. If I didnt have to drive home every game I may go bankrupt in booze debt.:rolleyes:

soxinem1
10-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Wow, this is a great thing for us SW siders. It only took 16 years.

Part of the reason a lot of city officials were against it before was because they felt that falling ridership of the two 'L' stops on 35th Street would hamper the CTA.

And yes, the NW train line should have one too!

Brian26
10-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Now Metra needs that up here inthe NW burbs.. I dont see that happening...

And yes, the NW train line should have one too!

I don't follow what you guys are saying. Are you hoping that Metra somehow connects their Northwest line to a stop along 35th Street? That's never going to happen. The NW line ends downtown. I don't believe its logistically possible to get a train from the Metra NW line to the southside of Chicago.

areilly
10-13-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't follow what you guys are saying. Are you hoping that Metra somehow connects their Northwest line to a stop along 35th Street? That's never going to happen. The NW line ends downtown. I don't believe its logistically possible to get a train from the Metra NW line to the southside of Chicago.

...unless Metra follows suit with the CTA and puts out designs for a Circle/Connector line. Which I doubt they would.

Brian26
10-13-2006, 08:36 PM
...unless Metra follows suit with the CTA and puts out designs for a Circle/Connector line. Which I doubt they would.

They have their own proposed connector for the far western suburbs (called the Star line), connecting Joliet with OHare, but this is many, many years off and wouldn't really help getting to the Sox game.

jamokes
10-13-2006, 09:53 PM
The 35th St station is long overdue!

ewokpelts
10-14-2006, 06:24 AM
I don't follow what you guys are saying. Are you hoping that Metra somehow connects their Northwest line to a stop along 35th Street? That's never going to happen. The NW line ends downtown. I don't believe its logistically possible to get a train from the Metra NW line to the southside of Chicago.it's a quick bus ride to a train station with lines that stop by 35th...i dont see teh problem here
Mind you, I also support an express bus from northwestern station/union station to comiskey. especially since i work next door to northwestern station.

southside rocks
10-14-2006, 07:24 AM
I live in Beverly and take the Metra to work downtown every day, and it would be wonderful to be able to take the train to games! Yay!

hose
10-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Hopefully the new station's scheduled stop at 35th is at or around 10:30-10:40pm.

I live in Mount Prospect and don't have to drive a car to go to a Sox game. During the week getting to the Cell is no problem , the Metra Harvard Line is very accomodating. I can walk to the station in Mt.Prospect and then walk 2 blocks to catch the Green Line from Ogilivie.

The draw back is that the outbound Metra trains leave at 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, 11:30, and 12:30. In order to catch the 10:30 train I have to be at the 35th/Bronzville stop at around 10:00-10:05 , which means leaving the game a bit early.:(:

If you only go to a couple of weekday games a year then the later train is fine, but if you are a season ticket holder and have to get up before 5:00am that 10:30 train means getting home at 11:45pm vs. 12:45am on the 11:30

The other option I have is park and riding on the Blue line. Rosemont and Cumberland always have available parking.

The Metra is soooooooo much nicer then the L.
For one the Metra has washrooms.......enough said.:gulp:

I want Mags back
10-14-2006, 10:57 AM
That would be very big for the Sox and the suburban people.

What about the Electric line that runs from University Park? What's the best way for those people to get to the park? I know that line would be a good hike east of the park even if there was a 35th stop.

yeah thats what i would need. The Flossmoor station is a 4 block walk for me. But I guess I could drive to Tinley or Oak Forest or something and get on the Rock ISland line there

Hitmen77
10-14-2006, 11:53 AM
it's a quick bus ride to a train station with lines that stop by 35th...i dont see teh problem here
Mind you, I also support an express bus from northwestern station/union station to comiskey. especially since i work next door to northwestern station.

Yes, I would really like to see that too.

As far as Metra access from Sox Park to other lines (West and NW suburbs), that's not going to happen, but what I'd like to see is the Go Go Sox Express service being expanded to other suburbs. Right now, you can use this service only from places like Bolingbrook and Palos. I hope it's been successful and that they consider expanding it to Naperville and places like Schaumburg.

thegooch
10-14-2006, 11:57 AM
the reason it has taken so long is becasue the law says that any station that gets built need handicap access. Metra didn't want to put that much money into it. I think the sox winning the WS and the increased attendence forced their hands. whatver the reason, its good news for southsiders.

johnr1note
10-14-2006, 12:19 PM
It's probably 10 years away yet, but the south east suburbs will be getting a new metra line that will run from balmoral park in Crete, through Chicago Heights, Glenwood, South Holland, Dolton, and connect to the SW line at Gresham. That means the 35th St. stop will be on the schedule.

I'm on the plan commission for one of these muninicpalities, and just spent a half day in an information session on the progress of this new South East Commuter line. Its still early, but eventually, it will give Sox fans out here another commuter option.

sox84
10-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Could this work for me coming from central Illinois on 55 and driving to the park through city traffic? If its a good option where would you Chicago natives recommend for me to park and ride this instead?

kevin57
10-14-2006, 01:39 PM
I would have loved this option when I was in for COTC II and staying in Tinley. And I suspect Kevin57 might have liked it as well. :cool:

You are most correct in your assessment! Wonderful idea...so long as they run even in the wee hours :cool: .

The article questions if this station is cost-effective, given that it would be used only 81 days of the year. I'll bet they find it will be a good investment.

ewokpelts
10-14-2006, 03:27 PM
yeah thats what i would need. The Flossmoor station is a 4 block walk for me. But I guess I could drive to Tinley or something and get on the Rock ISland line therethe metra electric line does stop at roosevelt....just 2 blocks from the red line....the electric line goes too east to be able to connect at 35th street.
Gene

ewokpelts
10-14-2006, 03:28 PM
You are most correct in your assessment! Wonderful idea...so long as they run even in the wee hours :cool: .

The article questions if this station is cost-effective, given that it would be used only 81 days of the year. I'll bet they find it will be a good investment.IIT has volunteered to give land to Metra for the Starion, Provided that they do indded build a station.

thomas35forever
10-14-2006, 03:30 PM
I think I've heard this story somewhere before. It's about as likely to happen as the Blue Line is to expanding to Oak Brook in my opinion.

ewokpelts
10-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Yes, I would really like to see that too.

As far as Metra access from Sox Park to other lines (West and NW suburbs), that's not going to happen, but what I'd like to see is the Go Go Sox Express service being expanded to other suburbs. Right now, you can use this service only from places like Bolingbrook and Palos. I hope it's been successful and that they consider expanding it to Naperville and places like Schaumburg.i want to see the go go sox express make a stop at 35th and archer station....that way i dont ahve to wait the for #35 bus

Frater Perdurabo
10-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Could this work for me coming from central Illinois on 55 and driving to the park through city traffic? If its a good option where would you Chicago natives recommend for me to park and ride this instead?

If and when the station gets built and begins getting service, I would recommend exiting I-55 to go East on I-80 toward Gary. After passing through Joliet and New Lenox, take exit 145 (U.S. 45/La Grange Road) south to 191st street (very next light) and turn left. After less than a half-block, take another quick left to the Hickory Creek Metra station, which is one of two Rock Island stops in Mokena. There's plenty of parking and it's the station most easy accessible to I-80. The total distance from the I-80/55 interchange is about 15 miles.

There are a couple of stops further down the line (downtown Joliet, New Lenox, downtown Mokena) but they have far less parking and/or are much less accessible to 55 and 80.

Frater Perdurabo
10-14-2006, 04:15 PM

The article questions if this station is cost-effective, given that it would be used only 81 days of the year. I'll bet they find it will be a good investment.

Metra Executive Director Philip Pagano said Friday that many others besides the White Sox would benefit from the new station. The Near South Side is home to booming development from Bronzeville to Bridgeport. The station would also serve the Illinois Institute of Technology and De La Salle Institute.

Seems to me like there's plenty of year-round usage potential. :smile:

35th&Shields
10-14-2006, 04:28 PM
I live in Beverly and take the Metra to work downtown every day, and it would be wonderful to be able to take the train to games! Yay!

The only thing is that let's say there is a game that is a sellout, so it's just short of 40,000 in attendance. Let's say one out of every ten fans wants to take this train back to the southside. That'd be 4,000 fans. Say it's one out of every 20, that'd be 2,000 fans. There's no way there will be enough seats to meet demand. And if you don't get on the train and were counting on it, how will you get home?

I love the idea of this stop, I just hope it ends up being as convenient as it sounds. How many people fit on a Metra train?

Frater Perdurabo
10-14-2006, 08:56 PM
The only thing is that let's say there is a game that is a sellout, so it's just short of 40,000 in attendance. Let's say one out of every ten fans wants to take this train back to the southside. That'd be 4,000 fans. Say it's one out of every 20, that'd be 2,000 fans. There's no way there will be enough seats to meet demand. And if you don't get on the train and were counting on it, how will you get home?

I love the idea of this stop, I just hope it ends up being as convenient as it sounds. How many people fit on a Metra train?

If demand is high (especially for weekend games), I'm sure Metra has the flexibilty to add cars and/or trains to meet demand.

miker
10-14-2006, 09:07 PM

Metra's Rock Island District terminates at LaSalle Street Station on the south side of the downtown area (or do you say "Loop?") at LaSalle and Van Buren. The former North Western lines (now operated by Union Pacific) terminate at the Ogilvie Transportation Center at Madison and Canal. Metra's remaining diesel-powered lines funnel into Union Station at Canal between Adams and Jackson.

Thanks in part to Chicago's complicated railroad history, there is no easy way to move, by train, between any of these stations. Believe it or not, you could run a train between the three stations, but the combination of switching maneuvers and backup moves required to pull this off would make this option just a bit slower than walking.

Fortunately, CTA's rail and bus connections from all three stations make getting to U.S. Cellular convenient for those who do not wish to drive.

Sox fans taking the Metra Electric and South Shore can get off at Roosevelt Road and walk west to the CTA Green and Red Lines.

As for the 35th Street station itself, it should get enough business from Bridgeport, Bronzeville and IIT students to justify its use when baseball season ends.

GoSox2K3
10-14-2006, 10:17 PM
I think I've heard this story somewhere before. It's about as likely to happen as the Blue Line is to expanding to Oak Brook in my opinion.

umm...no, it is much more likely for them to put in a station along an existing line (especially after they have announced they are doing so) than to build a totally new el line from Forest Park to Oak Brook.

35th&Shields
10-15-2006, 11:25 AM

There has been talk of extending the Blue Line from O'Hare to Schaumburg Mall along I-90. I haven't heard anything about it in a while and don't know if this is a viable deal.

35th&Shields
10-15-2006, 11:26 AM
I do feel compelled to add my 2 cents about biking to the Cell. (Check out this article from the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation). (http://www.biketraffic.org/biketraffic/BT0605/page1.html) Mayor Daley has done an amazing job making Chicago bike friendly. I live in the West Loop and can bike to the Cell down Halsted in around 20 minutes depending on how motivated I am. It's hilarious to fly by the cars that are backed up for miles taking Halsted back to the Ike while I cruise by on the bike path. If you live or work in the Loop biking to the Cell is, by far, the absolute best option for getting to the park.

MySoxAreClean
10-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Does the Metra Train have a potty? When I break the seal I gotta tinkle alot
:dtroll: <---gotta pee gotta pee gotta pee

nasox
10-15-2006, 03:08 PM
I do feel compelled to add my 2 cents about biking to the Cell. (Check out this article from the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation). (http://www.biketraffic.org/biketraffic/BT0605/page1.html) Mayor Daley has done an amazing job making Chicago bike friendly. I live in the West Loop and can bike to the Cell down Halsted in around 20 minutes depending on how motivated I am. It's hilarious to fly by the cars that are backed up for miles taking Halsted back to the Ike while I cruise by on the bike path. If you live or work in the Loop biking to the Cell is, by far, the absolute best option for getting to the park.

Where do you keep your bike during the game?

35th&Shields
10-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Where do you keep your bike during the game?

From WhiteSox.com: "Bike Racks Bikes racks are located outside U.S. Cellular Field between Gates 2 and 3 and along 35th street near Gate 5."

I wouldn't park my bike on 35th, though. There is a bunch of bike racks between Gates 2 and 3 on the south end of the ballpark up against the wall of the park. It's right by the entrance to the stadium club so there is security around at all times. It's a well lit and supervised area so it's a totally safe place to put your bike.

itsnotrequired
10-16-2006, 07:02 AM
If demand is high (especially for weekend games), I'm sure Metra has the flexibilty to add cars and/or trains to meet demand.

This is exactly what they will do. It will probably have an hour or two between stops on non-rush/non-game days. After games, I wouldn't be surprised if you see a train every 20 minutes. METRA would need to "store" a train or two on nearby tracks to be ready for the end of the game, as this time is not set in stone.

Qdiddy
10-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Since we're all just talking here my "Dream" train route would be a straight line connection from Midway to O'Hare. I live about 5 blocks from Midway, but work in Des Plaines and traffic on 55 & 294 stink! One can only dream....

soxinem1
10-16-2006, 06:07 PM
The Metra is soooooooo much nicer then the L.
For one the Metra has washrooms.......enough said.:gulp:

The 'L' used to have great washrooms. The first was at the back of the car, the second was under the tracks!!!!

The Dude
10-16-2006, 07:07 PM
The 'L' used to have great washrooms. The first was at the back of the car, the second was under the tracks!!!!

I wonder why the did away with them?:tongue:

Scottzilla
10-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Since we're all just talking here my "Dream" train route would be a straight line connection from Midway to O'Hare. I live about 5 blocks from Midway, but work in Des Plaines and traffic on 55 & 294 stink! One can only dream....

I would like a train that goes from my house to wherever i happen to be going at the particular moment.

anyway does anyone think its a little fishy that this twerp who ran metra said it wasnt necessary until he resigned??

nasox
10-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Money for the contract comes from a $1 million federal appropriation obtained by U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Ill.).

Funding for the new station was included in Metra's 2007 capital program and $554 million budget.

For those who think this won't happen, it was included in their budget. It will happen.

salty99
10-17-2006, 11:27 AM
For those who think this won't happen, it was included in their budget. It will happen.

Me like alot!

sox84
10-22-2006, 11:29 AM
If and when the station gets built and begins getting service, I would recommend exiting I-55 to go East on I-80 toward Gary. After passing through Joliet and New Lenox, take exit 145 (U.S. 45/La Grange Road) south to 191st street (very next light) and turn left. After less than a half-block, take another quick left to the Hickory Creek Metra station, which is one of two Rock Island stops in Mokena. There's plenty of parking and it's the station most easy accessible to I-80. The total distance from the I-80/55 interchange is about 15 miles.

There are a couple of stops further down the line (downtown Joliet, New Lenox, downtown Mokena) but they have far less parking and/or are much less accessible to 55 and 80.

Thanks much for the info!:D:

duke of dorwood
10-22-2006, 08:44 PM
I hope that if/when they open a station there-there is an add'l train run so that the wait does not have to be an hour if you just miss one on game nights. That plus maybe some security at the Beverly parking lots. There are DAILY thefts there. I know, I park in them every day and have been hit twice.