PDA

View Full Version : Konerko's contract situation.....

MaggPipes
03-02-2002, 03:26 PM
I read on an article to day that his 2 year deal ends this year, he still has some arbritration years in him right?? Lets get him signed long term before he has a huge year this year......

Daver
03-02-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
I read on an article to day that his 2 year deal ends this year, he still has some arbritration years in him right?? Lets get him signed long term before he has a huge year this year......

He is arbitration eligible in 2003.

MattSharp
03-02-2002, 06:08 PM
I agree that he is so crucial to resign. I think he needs to get locked up big.

kermittheefrog
03-03-2002, 03:46 AM
One of the keys in creating teams like Oakland now and Cleveland in the mid nineties is that their front office locked up young players into longterm deals that ate up arbitration and early free agent years. By the time the players hit the open market they were pretty much past the age where they would be worth the salary/time commitment from the organization. And since they were signed while they were still young, before their best years they were bargains. Since the Sox want to cry wolf with their small market and low revenue claims they can at least do smart things like lock up guys like Konerko, Lee and Buerhle longterm sicne they already blew it with Foulke.