PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox hire Indians pitching coach (Gammons)

Fenway
10-13-2006, 01:27 AM
Gammons is reporting the Red Sox have hired John Farrell away from the Indians

I'm not big on coaches changing teams, but Boston's hiring of John Farrell as pitching coach is one of those moves that could change the franchise. Farrell eventually will be a general manager, somewhere, and the Red Sox's 2007 season will depend greatly on the development of Josh Beckett, Jonathan Papelbon, Craig Hansen, Manny Delcarmen, Edgar Martinez and, in time, Clay Buchholz, Kris Johnson, Bryce Cox, Justin Masterson and others. In the last eight months, Boston has raided the Cleveland developmental organization for Farrell and farm director Mike Hazen.

Gammons blog 10/12 (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=gammons_peter#20061012)

Mohoney
10-13-2006, 01:31 AM
Let me get this straight. The Red Sox win a World Series for the first time in 86 years. They get swept out of the ALDS the very next season.

They then decide to pry coaching talent away from a club that hasn't won since 1948? How does that make sense? Why not promote from within?

Fenway
10-13-2006, 01:39 AM
Let me get this straight. The Red Sox win a World Series for the first time in 86 years. They get swept out of the ALDS the very next season.

They then decide to pry coaching talent away from a club that hasn't won since 1948? How does that make sense? Why not promote from within?

The Red Sox pitching coach situation in 2006 was ugly. Dave Wallace was the coach but had hip replacement work done and there were complications so they made Al Nipper coach to begin the season. Wallace came back after the All-Star break and the pitching collapsed. I think losing Varitek was the key there but Wallace took the fall.

But I agree - why raid the Indians?

MUsoxfan
10-13-2006, 02:36 AM
I'm confused on this too. It's not like they're the Twins. C.C. seems to always have some health problem and the rest of the staff is inconsistent if not totally erratic. You'd think the Sawx could pry away a better pitching coach.

Fenway
10-14-2006, 05:49 AM
Saturday Boston Globe confirms Gammos report

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/10/14/farrell_now_warming_up_for_red_sox/