View Full Version : Maybe old news

Daver
07-30-2001, 07:36 PM
But a few telling quotes here,

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sox_story.asp?intID=3710121

I think he's a goner.

Iguana775
07-30-2001, 07:40 PM
i think you are right, daver. after reading that, it may be a small chance for keith to stay. i just hope that barcelo or whoever is ready to take over the closer role.

doublem23
07-30-2001, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
i think you are right, daver. after reading that, it may be a small chance for keith to stay. i just hope that barcelo or whoever is ready to take over the closer role.

Barcelo will never be a closer. I mean, 3 surgeries and he's only 23?

Right now, our top closer prospect is probably Edwin Almonte.

Randar68
07-31-2001, 10:34 AM
Barcelo will never be a closer. I mean, 3 surgeries and he's only 23?

Ummmm, then by that account, he probably will never be a pitcher again, huh?????

If he can recover, he has the ability and the type of composure to be a big-time MLB closer.......

What does Keith want, I mean, he knows the team's attendance problems and I know he wants his money, but realistically, new closers pop up all the time, do you want to have 1/8th of your payroll tied up in a guy who doesn't play everyday or start game 1 of the playoffs for you????

doublem23
07-31-2001, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Ummmm, then by that account, he probably will never be a pitcher again, huh?????
If he can recover, he has the ability and the type of composure to be a big-time MLB closer.......

Actually, I heard somewhere that this injury is career-threatening.

And yes, I think Keith is too valuable to be let go. I mean, do you even want to think of our bullpen without him? Scary.

Randar68
07-31-2001, 12:12 PM
Actually, I heard somewhere that this injury is career-threatening.

And yes, I think Keith is too valuable to be let go. I mean, do you even want to think of our bullpen without him? Scary.

Well, the ony place I have ever seen that gloomy a prognosis on Barcelo is here. I have never seen any published article or quote indicating it is anything more than what Balwin, Howry, or Sirotka have gone through.....

Keith is extremely valuable, don't get me wrong, but he has another 2 seasons of arbitration, and this organization cannot afford to pay a closer 8 million a year, simple as that, where do you come up with the payroll to do that??? It's not like we're drawing over 2 million this year.....

Paulwny
07-31-2001, 12:19 PM
Agree, $8 mil is too much for a closer, even King George is pi$$ed about the money Rivera is getting and King George has $$ to toss around.