PDA

View Full Version : Totally Biased Game Recap - World Series Game 4 - October 12, 1906

Baby Fisk
10-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Totally Biased Game Recap: October 12, 1906

Hosiery of the Frauds

**1906 WORLD SERIES GAME FOUR**
Chicago Cubs at Chicago White Stockings, South Side Park

Short take: The south siders deliver a totally unacceptable performance, handing the Cubs a 1-0 gift win.

-----------------------------------------------------

Bah! Just when it seemed that Charles Comiskey’s White Stockings might have the pluck and plumb to win this all-Chicago World Series, they were exposed as frauds.

For the second home game in a row, White Stockings boosters were treated to a sorry display as their boys were totally shut down by the redoubtable Cubs. All the west siders needed was a single run to win Game Four and draw even in this Series, 2 games apiece.

Bah! Presume nothing other than the inevitability of a Cubs triumph now. They are but two games from their destiny. A 116-game winning team will not simply slink away -- it will find ways to win, be it a blowout like Game Two, or a cheap 1-0 win like today.

If there was any bright spot to this woeful pageant, it was at least a fast-moving one. Player/manager Fielder Jones sent Game One winner Nick Altrock back to the mound for a rematch against Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown. The Cubs touched Altrock first. He walked Jimmy Sheckard, and Sheckard moved himself into scoring position by stealing second. He might have scored an early run, had he not been caught in a rundown to end the threat.

Meanwhile, Cubs starter Brown mowed down the White Stockings 1-2-3 in the first. He would continue to put them down in order, and had himself a nasty no-hitter going into the sixth inning. Brown looked masterful out there today, much to our chagrin.

Two White Stockings received tumultuous greetings from south side rooters as they took the field prior to the game. One was Game Three hero George Rohe. The other was Ed Hahn, who rejoined his team 24 hours after his nose was broken by a Jack Pfiester pitch. Incredibly, it would be the man whose face was splinted and taped together who made the first hit off Brown in the sixth inning. Brown would get out of the inning, however, and the White Stockings continued to stumble along.

Bah! This game was over before it started! No, not really, but it took a sneaky rally by the Cubs in the seventh to put them ahead. Frank Chance made a leadoff hit off of Altrock. He then scampered to second on a sacrifice bunt, then to third on another sacrifice. A hit by Johnny Evers drove Chance home, and the Cubs needed not look back.

The 18,386 who had packed into South Side Park looked on as the home side went down quietly, as if accepting their imminent doom. In the first four games of this Series, the White Stockings have been outhit 23-13 and outscored 9-6. They will try to turn things for the better in Game Five. Word is that Fielder Jones will rush Game Three ace Ed Walsh out there to face the Cubs' Ed Reulbach.

---------------------------------------------------

How was the trophy earned today? It wasn't.

Pick to Click Winner: Ed Hahn. Twenty-four hours after having his nose broken, he broke up a no-hitter with one of only two White Stockings hits.

http://memory.loc.gov/ndlpcoop/ichicdn/s0534/s053407.jpg
SOME OF COMISKEY'S BOYS AT SOUTH SIDE PARK.
THE ONE ON THE RIGHT MAY OR MAY NOT BE ED HAHN.

samram
10-12-2006, 09:01 AM
As I suspected, feast or famine. One day, an outburst, the next, they can't get a hit off a guy with 60% of a hand. Oh sure, they're averaging 1.5 runs a game, which looks great, but it's like 2 one day, 0 the next.

Deuce
10-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Great. I just hope I don't run into that Cubs fan at work tomorrow. I'm sure he is going to be waiting all day by the water pump, just to give me a good ribbing.

Deuce

SOXintheBURGH
10-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Not much you can do against Mordecai Brown, the guy is an absolute stud. I still feel confident that we can take this series.

Hitmen77
10-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Totally Biased Game Recap: October 12, 1906

http://memory.loc.gov/ndlpcoop/ichicdn/s0534/s053407.jpg
SOME OF COMISKEY'S BOYS AT SOUTH SIDE PARK.
THE ONE ON THE RIGHT MAY OR MAY NOT BE ED HAHN.

Wow, I didn't realize that South Side Park had some sort of upper deck structure. Where was S.S Park located? Was it just south of the current ballpark?

FielderJones
10-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Wow, I didn't realize that South Side Park had some sort of upper deck structure. Where was S.S Park located? Was it just south of the current ballpark?

South and East of the current park. There were actually three parks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Side_Park) known by that name.

SOXintheBURGH
10-13-2006, 11:10 AM

It was really steep and people complained about it all the time, I hear we may even get green seats soon too.

Baby Fisk
10-13-2006, 11:49 AM
As you can also see in the photo, popped collars were all the rage back in "aught six".

TornLabrum
10-13-2006, 08:22 PM

Southside Park was on the north side of 39th St. (now Pershing Rd.) between Princeton and Wentworth, where the low-rise public housing now stands. In fact it was razed to build those units. The Chicago American Giants played there until they tore the place down, sometime in the late '30s or early '40s.

Hitmen77
10-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Southside Park was on the north side of 39th St. (now Pershing Rd.) between Princeton and Wentworth, where the low-rise public housing now stands. In fact it was razed to build those units. The Chicago American Giants played there until they tore the place down, sometime in the late '30s or early '40s.

Thanks for the info. So, it sounds like the site is adjacent to (just east of) current Sox parking lots.

Hitmen77
10-13-2006, 10:03 PM
It was really steep and people complained about it all the time, I hear we may even get green seats soon too.

:kneeslap: