PDA

View Full Version : Is Thome a Hall Of Famer?

soxwon
10-11-2006, 10:53 PM
What are the chances of Thome making the HOF?
He will hit his 500th homer next year.
Isnt the 500+ homer mark, a sure HOF Candidate?

JB98
10-11-2006, 10:56 PM

I'd say he's a lock if he gets to 500 HRs. He was one of the most feared sluggers of the '90s, and he's still very productive now in the twilight of his career.

The Dude
10-11-2006, 11:02 PM

Chances are guaranteed. This topic is not even close to being a debate.

He will finish his career in style with the Sox and go in as a Indian even though they treat him so very poorly.

Hopefully he can keep up the numbers and play 3 or 4 years with us and give him reason enough to have the Sox cap.

batmanZoSo
10-11-2006, 11:15 PM
.282 472 .409 .565

And health assumed, he's got a good three years left at near his '06 level. If that's not a Hall of Famer, you might as well close Cooperstown.

thomas35forever
10-11-2006, 11:25 PM
He probably is. He'll be a lock when he hits #500. He's also one of the nicest giants to ever grace the game of baseball.

23Ventura
10-11-2006, 11:38 PM
He would make the Hall of Fame if he retired today, no question.

LuvSox
10-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Why not? Reggie Jackson made it.

Gregory Pratt
10-12-2006, 12:02 AM
Why not? Reggie Jackson made it.
What's that supposed to mean?

LuvSox
10-12-2006, 12:05 AM
What's that supposed to mean?

What was Reggie, a .262 lifetime hitter? Thome is better than him.

sox1970
10-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Before this past year, I never thought of Thome as a HOFer. Now I think he'll probably get in because if he stays healthy, he'll get to 600 homers in a few years. 600 is the new 500, so absolutely he would get in.

ewokpelts
10-12-2006, 01:21 AM
yes

Gregory Pratt
10-12-2006, 02:02 AM
What was Reggie, a .262 lifetime hitter? Thome is better than him.

Well, that I agree with, but I don't discount Reggie, either.

Sox-o-matic
10-12-2006, 02:04 AM
Yes, yes, and yes.

Thome, Big Frank, Bagwell, Griffey, etc. are all players who have had tremendous success in an era full of frauds. Their numbers and the way they have achieved those numbers will be enough to make all of these guys first ballot HOF's.

goon
10-12-2006, 02:14 AM
Before this past year, I never thought of Thome as a HOFer. Now I think he'll probably get in because if he stays healthy, he'll get to 600 homers in a few years. 600 is the new 500, so absolutely he would get in.

that would be the greatest thing ever.

i mean beside the sox winning a few more championships while he's here.

Frontman
10-12-2006, 08:16 AM
If Thome doesn't make it, but Bonds, Mcquire, Sosa, etc get in, then the hall is a sham. As far as I'm concerned, Thome deserves to be in.

Front

Thome25
10-12-2006, 09:05 AM
I'd have to say ABSOLUTELY YES. Thome was one of the great ambassadors for the game and an extremely dominant hitter during a dark time for the game of baseball.

I'd have to agree with one of the previous posts that said that Thome, Thomas, Bagwell, and Griffey Jr. were some of the few bright spots during the "steroid-90's"

The four players mentioned above should be locks for Cooperstown.

Players like Sosa (who myseriously didn't know english during the congressional hearing.) McGwire, and Bonds should NEVER be in the HOF.

The HOF is hallowed ground and should never be a place where cheaters are honored.

I'll be in Cooperstown for Thome and Thomas' induction ceremonies.

ewokpelts
10-12-2006, 10:26 AM
I'd have to say ABSOLUTELY YES. Thome was one of the great ambassadors for the game and an extremely dominant hitter during a dark time for the game of baseball.

I'd have to agree with one of the previous posts that said that Thome, Thomas, Bagwell, and Griffey Jr. were some of the few bright spots during the "steroid-90's"

Players like Sosa (who myseriously didn't know english during the congressional hearing.) McGwire, and Bonds should NEVER be in the HOF.

The HOF is hallowed ground and should never be a place where cheaters are honored.

I'll be in Cooperstown for Thome and Thomas' induction ceremonies.quite a few people belive bagwell was a roid user....the astrodome was a pitcher's paradise, yet he hit HOW MANY in there? He's only been at enron field since 2000.

SockItThome
10-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Thome in the hall of fame? Uh geez let me think.....YES! :)

35th&Shields
10-12-2006, 02:13 PM
He probably is. He'll be a lock when he hits #500. He's also one of the nicest giants to ever grace the game of baseball.

Absolutely. And keep in mind that it is the Baseball Writers who vote, and he is known for giving great interviews and being very polite and patient. That's going to help. He's definately in. We could use more Jim Thomes in American sports.

I want Mags back
10-12-2006, 02:57 PM
anyone with 500 will get in, as long as they arent linked to steroids

A. Cavatica
10-12-2006, 07:12 PM
He'll probably make it. Definitely not first ballot, though.

OEO Magglio
10-12-2006, 07:34 PM
He's in.

soxinem1
10-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes, yes, and yes.

Thome, Big Frank, Bagwell, Griffey, etc. are all players who have had tremendous success in an era full of frauds. Their numbers and the way they have achieved those numbers will be enough to make all of these guys first ballot HOF's.

Absolutely correct.

But the more important question is, when does Rafael Palmeiro get in?

Gregory Pratt
10-13-2006, 08:53 PM
The Hall of Fame is a sham, IMO. I respect every player who gets in and best wishes to them, but I don't need the Hall to tell me who was and is great.

Frontman
10-13-2006, 10:43 PM
The Hall of Fame is a sham, IMO. I respect every player who gets in and best wishes to them, but I don't need the Hall to tell me who was and is great.

That is a very valid point. I do believe the majority of the 2005 White Sox roster isn't HOF bound, but I do believe they were (and still are) some of the greatest.

Hell, any team put together that would end an 88 year drought will always be considered great to the fans of said team.

Front

October26
10-15-2006, 11:23 AM

I'll be in Cooperstown for Thome and Thomas' induction ceremonies.

:thumbsup: I like the way you think.

fquaye149
10-15-2006, 11:27 AM

The hall of fame is fun. And it is pretty cool in that it introduces players from old eras who were truly great that people who aren't fans of the team that player was on might not have known about.

For instance, if there were no HOF, how many average baseball fans would know anything about Luke Appling?

Chips
10-15-2006, 11:50 AM

:thumbsup:

It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Good Players. Plaques should be reserved for the greatest players only.

I wouldn't vote for Thome for the Hall.

The Dude
10-15-2006, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't vote for Thome for the Hall.

That's because you're a moron.:rolleyes:

Your hall of fame has like 10 players.....correct?
I don't know how you can say Thome isn't a HOFer.

Chips
10-15-2006, 12:12 PM
That's because you're a moron.:rolleyes:

Your hall of fame has like 10 players.....correct?
I don't know how you can say Thome isn't a HOFer.

I think it's closer to 15 or 20.

RKMeibalane
10-15-2006, 12:16 PM
quite a few people belive bagwell was a roid user....the astrodome was a pitcher's paradise, yet he hit HOW MANY in there? He's only been at enron field since 2000.

You've got to be kidding me.

TheOldRoman
10-15-2006, 12:17 PM
People, Thome is not a hall of famer. The hall of fame should be reserved for the best of all time, like Bill Mazerowski and Phil Rizzuto.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

RKMeibalane
10-15-2006, 12:18 PM
People, Thome is not a hall of famer. The hall of fame should be reserved for the best of all time, like Bill Mazerowski and Phil Rizzuto.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I can't tell if you're joking or not. A lot of people around baseball believe that Mazerowski- who was a great player- is in the HOF largely because of his walk-off home run in the WS.

fquaye149
10-15-2006, 12:23 PM
I think it's closer to 15 or 20.

Canseco=first ballot or 2nd?:redneck

Chips
10-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Canseco=first ballot or 2nd?:redneck

He gets his own wing.

fquaye149
10-15-2006, 12:25 PM
I can't tell if you're joking or not. A lot of people around baseball believe that Mazerowski- who was a great player- is in the HOF largely because of his walk-off home run in the WS.

you have to assume he's joking.

23Ventura
10-15-2006, 12:50 PM
you have to assume he's joking.
Oh yeah, he's joking. Phil Rizzuto is one of the worst Hall of Famers there is.

TheOldRoman
10-15-2006, 01:23 PM
I was joking, and I believe that also. Rizzuto wouldn't ever be mentioned for the hall of fame is he wasn't a Yankee.

PKalltheway
10-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Jim Thome is going to the Hall of Fame. He has always been one of my favorite players, even going back to his Cleveland days. I didn't like him when he played us though, because he killed us! When he wasn't playing the Sox though, he was always one of my favorites.