PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-12

Lip Man 1
10-11-2006, 11:32 AM
October 12, 2005 - In one of the strangest endings to a post season game in history, the Sox beat the Angels 2 - 1, in Game #2 of the A.L.C.S. With the game tied in the 9th inning catcher A.J. Pierzynski ran to first on a dropped third strike. The Angels thought he struck out and never contested the play. After pinch runner Pablo Ozuna stole second, Joe Crede’s double brought home the game winner.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/4f/c5/d5_1.JPG

Lip

October26
10-11-2006, 03:11 PM
October 12, 2005 - In one of the strangest endings to a post season game in history, the Sox beat the Angels 2 - 1, in Game #2 of the A.L.C.S. With the game tied in the 9th inning catcher A.J. Pierzynski ran to first on a dropped third strike. The Angels thought he struck out and never contested the play. After pinch runner Pablo Ozuna stole second, Joe Crede’s double brought home the game winner.

Lip

Oh, what a game that was. I was there with my family and was so discouraged after what appeared to be a strike out by AJ . But wait, no, there was some commotion on the field and then AJ was as first base. So I tuned into my headphones & radio wondering what is going on and Rooney and Farmer are telling me that it was a dropped third strike. I couldn't believe our good fortune. Then came Joe Crede with his big hit to win us that game. That was one of two games I attended last October during our great playoff/World Series run. It was so exciting ...

DaleJRFan
10-11-2006, 04:14 PM
I watched the 9th inning from my father's hospital room after he had a defibrulator put in his chest. Yucky day that had a nice ending!

GO AJ!! :bandance:

batmanZoSo
10-11-2006, 04:18 PM
I was in a bar at the time and turned around to leave pissed when AJ struck out, then I hear some commotion and see him on first. That's when I knew some good stuff was about to go down, so I ordered a beer and within minutes was drinking in celebration.

jackbrohamer
10-11-2006, 04:50 PM
What surprises me now is that any reference I see to that game invariably uses terms like "controversial" or similar words suggesting that Pierzynski did something wrong, rather than give AJ credit for what it was: old-school, head's up baseball

AnkleSox
10-11-2006, 04:55 PM
So I tuned into my headphones & radio wondering what is going on and Rooney and Farmer are telling me that it was a dropped third strike.

That's funny, McCarver and Buck would've had you believing there was NO WAY this was a dropped third strike.

batmanZoSo
10-11-2006, 05:12 PM
That's funny, McCarver and Buck would've had you believing there was NO WAY this was a dropped third strike.

This is despite that pretty much any replay was inconclusive. At least, if it were a case of NFL instant replay, it's the kind that couldn't have been overturned, and those tools were "sure" that the wrong call was made.

Yet the same guys who--along with millions watching--clearly saw Knoblauch miss tagging a Boston runner for a double play in the 1999 ALCS made little or no mention that the Yankees had gotten an enormous break.

Britt Burns
10-11-2006, 06:52 PM
This was the game that introduced the world to AJ and his 'controversial' style, which is of course stupid because he did nothing more than a heads-up, smart move that most other major leaguers wouldn't even attempt. After the loss the previous night, this was a huge shift in momentum, and whether Paul dropped it or not (he did) it showed that the Sox wanted it more, they were hungrier, and that Ozzieball truly is a less correct term for smartball.

Go AJ!

flo-B-flo
10-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I watched STUNNED on TV. The phone rang rapid fire and call waiting was hopping, mostly angry jealous c-- fans. Later, overload of envious email.

LuvSox
10-11-2006, 10:59 PM
I remember the post game thread. Emotions were running high to say the least.

AnkleSox
10-11-2006, 11:14 PM
This is despite that pretty much any replay was inconclusive. At least, if it were a case of NFL instant replay, it's the kind that couldn't have been overturned, and those tools were "sure" that the wrong call was made.

Yet the same guys who--along with millions watching--clearly saw Knoblauch miss tagging a Boston runner for a double play in the 1999 ALCS made little or no mention that the Yankees had gotten an enormous break.

It showed exactly ONE replay, from a bad angle, by the time McCarver had said "If this ball is in the dirt, which it's NOT...." No way from that pitchers eye straight angle replay could he tell for sure if it wasn't in the dirt. what a tool

stl_sox_fan
10-12-2006, 09:37 AM
It showed exactly ONE replay, from a bad angle, by the time McCarver had said "If this ball is in the dirt, which it's NOT...." No way from that pitchers eye straight angle replay could he tell for sure if it wasn't in the dirt. what a tool

Buck, McCarver and J Morgan are neck and neck as my least favorite announcers. Tim came across as such a pompous ass with that comment. Eddings should have waited for him by the bike rack after the game for a good old fashion beat down.

Good site (http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com/)

Madvora
10-12-2006, 09:40 AM
The Angels thought he struck out and never contested the play.
How could you say that?
It took about 15 minutes to get that inning back underway after that incident. I remember Mike Scocscia and Darrin Erstad arguing with the umpires.

Hitmen77
10-12-2006, 10:21 AM
That was the most exciting game I have ever attended.:bandance:

oeo
10-12-2006, 12:24 PM
How could you say that?
It took about 15 minutes to get that inning back underway after that incident. I remember Mike Scocscia and Darrin Erstad arguing with the umpires.

"Never contested the play," aka never even attempted to make the putout.

Lip Man 1
10-12-2006, 12:44 PM
OEO:

Correct.

Paul just rolled the ball towards the pitchers mound.

Lip

southpaw40
10-12-2006, 12:53 PM

Remember, McCarver and Buck are the two who called the missed "home run" ball in Houston as though it was just another play ........no on and on about how the Astros get every break....
Still these two aren't in the same league as Chris "Bosox" Berman when it comes to crying on the air......:whiner:

Frontman
10-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Remember, McCarver and Buck are the two who called the missed "home run" ball in Houston as though it was just another play ........no on and on about how the Astros get every break....
Still these two aren't in the same league as Chris "Bosox" Berman when it comes to crying on the air......:whiner:

You mean the "OH NO!!!" Berman exclaimed on the routine "between the legs" error or the "Congradulations to the Chicago White Sox, as they advance. And congradulations to the Boston Red Sox."

I yelled at the TV "For what? They're done! They lost!!!!"

Didn't hear any congrats to the Chicago White Sox from any national announcers when their season ended this year.

Front