PDA

View Full Version : NY TIMES Fox announcers are idiots

Fenway
10-10-2006, 11:23 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/10/sports/baseball/10sandomir.html

About time somebody called FOX on these idiots

gbergman
10-10-2006, 11:26 PM
it would help if I didn't have to register to read that paper.

Fenway
10-10-2006, 11:27 PM
it would help if I didn't have to register to read that paper.

you don't have to register to read this, I'm not logged in

gbergman
10-10-2006, 11:28 PM
you don't have to register to read this, I'm not logged in

Well your special then because I have to register.

gbergman
10-10-2006, 11:29 PM
From reading the only line it shows, yes that is pathetic.

Trav
10-10-2006, 11:29 PM
www.bugmenot.com (http://www.bugmenot.com)

Just copy and paste the URL of the site that is making you register and they give you a name and password.

Vernam
10-10-2006, 11:40 PM
So help me, during tonight's ALCS opener, I said, "At least we don't have to hear these *******s announcing the Sox in the playoffs." Lyons has always been an embarrassment, including when he dropped trou on the field. Piniella was clearly pissed at him tonight after Lyons made obnoxious and uncharitable comments about Lou's managerial career. "Lou is like a backup quarterback in the NFL," Lyons said (paraphrasing). "Everyone thinks he can do a better job than the guy they've got." And it got worse from there. Piniella said he'd only manage again if it was a winning situation. Lyons: "So what were you doing in Tampa Bay, then?" Stony silence from Lou.

Getting the NY Times for free is one of the best things about the web, which is saying a lot. Taking a minute to register isn't asking much, IMO.

Vernam

Trav
10-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Vern, I didn't hear those comments about "Sweet Lou" as they call him but I think those are pretty honest statements and a good question.

HotelWhiteSox
10-10-2006, 11:49 PM
So help me, during tonight's ALCS opener, I said, "At least we don't have to hear these *******s announcing the Sox in the playoffs." Lyons has always been an embarrassment, including when he dropped trou on the field. Piniella was clearly pissed at him tonight after Lyons made obnoxious and uncharitable comments about Lou's managerial career. "Lou is like a backup quarterback in the NFL," Lyons said (paraphrasing). "Everyone thinks he can do a better job than the guy they've got." And it got worse from there. Piniella said he'd only manage again if it was a winning situation. Lyons: "So what were you doing in Tampa Bay, then?" Stony silence from Lou.

Getting the NY Times for free is one of the best things about the web, which is saying a lot. Taking a minute to register isn't asking much, IMO.

Vernam

I got home and was channel flipping, and heard the backup QB comment (something like 'in the end he's no better than the guy you've got'), thought that was a real dumb analogy (douchebag thing to say), made for an uncomfortable moment.

HotelWhiteSox
10-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Wow, that article nailed Brennamen to a tee. Also agree that Lewin is better than Brennamen

Fenway
10-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Wow, that article nailed Brennamen to a tee. Also agree that Lewin is better than Brennamen

I'm just amazed nobody picks up Sean McDonough for baseball...though rumors are flying he will be back as the Red Sox radio voice next year as it appears both current announcers are out after 13 years

Vernam
10-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Vern, I didn't hear those comments about "Sweet Lou" as they call him but I think those are pretty honest statements and a good question.Context is everything. Over a beer, Lyons' remarks to Piniella might've sounded like good-natured ballbusting. On national TV, it sounded like a smartass who has never accomplished anything giving a hard time to a pretty nice guy who has accomplished a hell of a lot.

Vernam

32nd&Wallace
10-11-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm just amazed nobody picks up Sean McDonough for baseball...though rumors are flying he will be back as the Red Sox radio voice next year as it appears both current announcers are out after 13 years
Isn't the rap on McDonough that he is a jerk and very difficult to deal with?

Fenway
10-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Isn't the rap on McDonough that he is a jerk and very difficult to deal with?

Sean does have some baggage. Lately he has been crying that the guy that replaced him on NESN sounds like him.

One thing I can say is McDonough is always prepared, he never mails a game in

whitesoxfan
10-11-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't care for Brennaman, but to say Lewin is better than Thom is ridiculous. I can't stand Lewin at all, and I know I'm not the only one.

I do think Lyons is a somewhat good analyst, much better than the "analysts" on ESPN. I like his honesty and I enjoyed how he was going at it with Piniella yesterday.

So why exactly did FOX decide to switch Buck and McCarver from the ALCS to the NLCS and vice versa this year?

Fenway
10-11-2006, 02:37 PM
So why exactly did FOX decide to switch Buck and McCarver from the ALCS to the NLCS and vice versa this year?

Simple Buck and McCarver go where a New York team is playing

fquaye149
10-11-2006, 03:57 PM
That article refused to address how ****ty Buck and McCarver are.

Do people actually like them? I mean, people over 12?

AZChiSoxFan
10-11-2006, 04:28 PM
I don't care for Brennaman, but to say Lewin is better than Thom is ridiculous. I can't stand Lewin at all, and I know I'm not the only one.

I do think Lyons is a somewhat good analyst, much better than the "analysts" on ESPN. I like his honesty and I enjoyed how he was going at it with Piniella yesterday.

THANK YOU!! Lewin might be the worst in baseball.

I like Brennaman a lot. So he made a mistake with a name, big deal. It's comical that the NY Times is calling him out for making a mistake. They've had a few of their own recently.

I'd take Brennaman over that arrogant prick, Joe Buck any day of the week.

MarySwiss
10-11-2006, 04:48 PM
THANK YOU!! Lewin might be the worst in baseball.

I like Brennaman a lot. So he made a mistake with a name, big deal. It's comical that the NY Times is calling him out for making a mistake. They've had a few of their own recently.

I'd take Brennaman over that arrogant prick, Joe Buck any day of the week.

Well, I'll agree with you on Thom over Buck, but I really was not too broken up to hear that Brenneman was moving on from these parts. He's a little too smarmy for my taste. Were you watching the final D'Backs game when he just HAD to deliver his little PC, give-the-new-owners-a-chance-they're-really-nice-guys-they'll-bring-in-a-winning-team" speech? Coming right on top of the tribute to Gonzo and Counsell, it really pissed me off. And the thing with refusing to say "damn" when talking about that stupid sports show is also annoying. I don't care if he says it or not, but then just don't say it and save the pontificating.

I've never been much of a Steve Lyons fan either. However, IMO Thom and Steve are no worse than the rest over at ESPN and FOX.

AZChiSoxFan
10-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Well, I'll agree with you on Thom over Buck, but I really was not too broken up to hear that Brenneman was moving on from these parts. He's a little too smarmy for my taste. Were you watching the final D'Backs game when he just HAD to deliver his little PC, give-the-new-owners-a-chance-they're-really-nice-guys-they'll-bring-in-a-winning-team" speech? Coming right on top of the tribute to Gonzo and Counsell, it really pissed me off. And the thing with refusing to say "damn" when talking about that stupid sports show is also annoying. I don't care if he says it or not, but then just don't say it and save the pontificating.

I've never been much of a Steve Lyons fan either. However, IMO Thom and Steve are no worse than the rest over at ESPN and FOX.

I guess different strokes for different folks, Mary. I like Thom and will miss him next season when he's in Cincy.

I did see the last game. I must admit, his comments struck me as very odd and I was surprised to hear them. In hindsight, the team released TB from his contract so that he could go work with his father and I wonder if he did that, to "encourage" them to let him out of his contract.

Gosox1917
10-11-2006, 06:05 PM

My guess is the switch is because more people will be watching the NLCS with New York and St. Louis being in it than the ALCS with the A's and Tigers. Hence, the reason that most of America will see the NLCS on FOX tonight.

MarySwiss
10-11-2006, 06:09 PM
I guess different strokes for different folks, Mary. I like Thom and will miss him next season when he's in Cincy.

I did see the last game. I must admit, his comments struck me as very odd and I was surprised to hear them. In hindsight, the team released TB from his contract so that he could go work with his father and I wonder if he did that, to "encourage" them to let him out of his contract.
Actually, that was my first thought when the announcement came. I thought I was just being petty, but since you like him and you thought it too, mebbe not.

Edit: I'd kind of like to see Greg Schulte get a shot, but I'll bet they go outside the org for an anouncer.

Fenway
10-13-2006, 02:32 PM
A Boston writer nails Thom to a tee

My favorite Brennamanisms involve when he decides a play should be magnified for much more reason that it should be, and continues to harp on that point for the next three hours even if everybody else in the booth ignores him. Boston could be up 12-0 on Tampa in the eighth, and Brennaman will continue to spout off on a misplayed foul ball in the second inning, a frame in which the Red Sox didn't even score. And yet every fall he is forced into our living rooms when at the very least we should be getting some sort of welcome respite from McCarver. Thanks, Fox.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2006/10/13/microphone_check/index.html

Scottzilla
10-13-2006, 02:42 PM
haha suckers!!!!! the horrible print journalists are throwing you off there putrid scent by picking at the telejournalists. they all suck!
cept for hawk!

Frontman
10-13-2006, 05:13 PM
And here I thought someone got on Joe Buck's case..............

:rolleyes:

soxinem1
10-13-2006, 06:45 PM
I'd rather have Vin Scully back than anyone other network announcer out there except Jon Miller and Joe Morgan. They at least call a good game and don't make ignorant statements.

I think MLB should allow the teams broadcasters to do the playoffs. Let the home team announcers do innings 1-3 and 7-9 on TV, and 4-6 on radio.

Most of the PBP announcers show more enthusiasm and knowledge, especially since they know their teams better, they can give better insight.

Plus, showcasing some of the class announcers around MLB would be a good thing.

fquaye149
10-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I'd rather have Vin Scully back than anyone other network announcer out there except Jon Miller and Joe Morgan. They at least call a good game and don't make ignorant statements.

I think MLB should allow the teams broadcasters to do the playoffs. Let the home team announcers do innings 1-3 and 7-9 on TV, and 4-6 on radio.

Most of the PBP announcers show more enthusiasm and knowledge, especially since they know their teams better, they can give better insight.

Plus, showcasing some of the class announcers around MLB would be a good thing.
You'd rather have Scully than any Fox announcer? Gee...I'd rather have Albert Pujols in left than Scott Podsednik

Frontman
10-13-2006, 08:25 PM

Betcha Fox hoped for them to be a bit more talkative when the Mets just crushed out that 3 run bomb!

And they dare call Hawk a homer.............

:wink:

Front

soxinem1
10-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Gee...I'd rather have Albert Pujols in left than Scott Podsednik

So would I, what is your point?

Gregory Pratt
10-13-2006, 09:16 PM
I don't like a single analyst/broadcaster on ESPN or Fox, when it comes to baseball. Not Sweet Lou or Mother Mary or any of the other stiffs who only watch New York-and-Boston baseball.

fquaye149
10-13-2006, 10:29 PM
So would I, what is your point?

To say, I'd rather have Vin Scully than the morons on Fox is as obvious a statement to make.

Scully is the best in the business. In fact he's much better than Jon "I'm an adequate announcer" Miller, and Joe "Flat Earth Society" Morgan.

Railsplitter
10-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Scully is the best in the business. In fact he's much better than Jon "I'm an adequate announcer" Miller, and Joe "Flat Earth Society" Morgan.
I wouldn't dump on Miller, at least his radio skills. Unlike Ed farmer, he realizes his radio audience can't see a score on a screen.

fquaye149
10-14-2006, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't dump on Miller, at least his radio skills. Unlike Ed farmer, he realizes his radio audience can't see a score on a screen.

Yeah I like Miller. I think he's an adequate announcer, which is more than you can say about just about everyone on TV (except for Orel Hershiser, surprisingly).

I just don't think he's in the same stratosphere as Scully, and the fact that he's nearly always paired up with Morgan hurts his cause

Law11
10-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Ok anyone watch the early inning of yesterdays Detroit clincher.. Lou Pinnela when discussion came up about someone getting thoer GED asked..
"what in the world is a GED?" There was an awkward silence for about 5 seconds then someone replyed what it was and he said he never heard of it..

GOOD GOD MAN!!

Railsplitter
10-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Friday night it was said that Fox will be broadcasting MLB for the next seven years. Seven more years of dull announcers, and an overlong pregame show with (no surprise) dull hosts.

SOXSINCE'70
10-15-2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/10/sports/baseball/10sandomir.html

About time somebody called FOX on these idiots

Did this just dawn on them,or have they suffered with the
lonnnnggg,booooorrrriiiinngggg game calls of Joe Sux (Joe Buck)
and Whim MacBarfer (Tim McGarver) long enough??:puking: :kukoo:

Baby Fisk
10-16-2006, 09:48 AM
This has to be FOX's worst post-season ever. So far:

- Brennaman had to apologize for inadvertently ridiculing a blind fan
- Lyons got sacked for making a racially insensitive joke
- McCarver is starting to botch names with regularity
- Eric Byrnes came off like an oversugared, incomprehensible six-year-old during the pre-game last night (the only saving grace was that Pierzynski was actually the voice of calm reason, go figure)

Vernam
10-16-2006, 11:08 AM
- Eric Byrnes came off like an oversugared, incomprehensible six-year-old during the pre-game last night (the only saving grace was that Pierzynski was actually the voice of calm reason, go figure)I loved that! Byrnes made AJ look presidential. Punch AJ in '08!

Vernam, praying for Jack Buck to make a racially insensitive remark

Hangar18
10-16-2006, 11:18 AM
There were plenty of gaffes by all of the FOX announcers this weekend, not including the alleged Steve Lyons incident. Lou Piniella really has not added ANYTHING to the broadcasts, and makes me wonder about him upstairs. One broadcaster remarked on the job Darren Oliver of the Mets did in his start, "he pitched 6 innings of scoreless ball", when they then showed him pitching, and the graphic showed the Cardinals actually winning 5-0.
HAHAHAHHAHAHA.

southside rocks
10-16-2006, 01:38 PM
This has to be FOX's worst post-season ever. So far:

- Brennaman had to apologize for inadvertently ridiculing a blind fan
- Lyons got sacked for making a racially insensitive joke
- McCarver is starting to botch names with regularity
- Eric Byrnes came off like an oversugared, incomprehensible six-year-old during the pre-game last night (the only saving grace was that Pierzynski was actually the voice of calm reason, go figure)

Wasn't that something? AJ not only made sense, he spoke better and he LOOKED better.

AJ can wear a suit like an adult, and Byrnes apparently combs his hair with an eggbeater -- what's up with that?

Also loved AJ's WS ring. :tongue:

Baby Fisk
10-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Wasn't that something? AJ not only made sense, he spoke better and he LOOKED better.

AJ can wear a suit like an adult, and Byrnes apparently combs his hair with an eggbeater -- what's up with that?

AJ's hair looked nice, and would have looked nice even if you didn't have Byrnes' mess and Kennedy's helmet head to compare with.

soxinem1
10-16-2006, 07:10 PM
To say, I'd rather have Vin Scully than the morons on Fox is as obvious a statement to make.

I agree with you about Vin Scully. I meant my statement as a compliment to him, not making it a 'pick the worst of two evils' scenario.

But I like Miller because he doesn't show favoritism towards one team, he give both their equal props, IMO.

PKalltheway
10-16-2006, 10:22 PM
I loved that! Byrnes made AJ look presidential. Punch AJ in '08!

Vernam, praying for Jack Buck to make a racially insensitive remark
I think you mean Joe Buck. Plus, Jack Buck has actually done something of that nature before during the 1991 NLCS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Buck#CBS_baseball_career

Vernam
10-17-2006, 12:34 AM
I think you mean Joe Buck. Plus, Jack Buck has actually done something of that nature before during the 1991 NLCS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Buck#CBS_baseball_careerUh, he had a dad who announced? Who knew? :redface:

Vernam

Fenway
10-20-2006, 05:19 PM
same writer praises Buck and McCarver today

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/20/sports/baseball/20sandomir.html

In many ways, it was a typical Fox broadcast. Joe Buck exhibited the strong narrative skills that make him baseballís best play-by-play announcer. Buck, a Cardinals announcer, never let the teamís fans forget the minimal production of the teamís stars, Albert Pujols and Scott Rolen. If only Buck didnít flee to call football in September and during the division series.
McCarver was smart and judicious in his comments, but lacked any opportunities for the first- guessing of strategy that he excels at. But he accurately surmised, as Mets Manager Willie Randolph jogged to the mound in the sixth, that he would not remove the overachieving Pťrez.