10-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Play starts tonight:

LHP Wes Whisler
RHP Adam Russell
RHP Dewon Day
LHP Corwin Malone
2B Andy Gonzalez
OF Jerry Owens

That has to be the worst AFL line-up we've ever fielded.

Owens and Russell (maybe) are the only Top 10 prospects on that list, and neither would be in the Top 5. Gonzalez and Malone were actual prospects 3-4 years ago.

sox1970
10-11-2006, 09:58 AM
That has to be the worst AFL line-up we've ever fielded.

Owens and Russell (maybe) are the only Top 10 prospects on that list, and neither would be in the Top 5. Gonzalez and Malone were actual prospects 3-4 years ago.

The AFL isn't what it used to be. I think the Sox use it for guys they have to make a decision about adding to the 40-man. Russell and Gonzalez probably fall into that category.

California Sox
10-11-2006, 05:07 PM
The AFL isn't what it used to be.

Neither is the Sox farm system. :(:

BigPapaPump
10-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Does anyone know who is going to play winter ball in Venezuela for the Sox? Also, is there a website where you can see stats from the games played down there?

Randar68
10-12-2006, 09:55 AM
The AFL isn't what it used to be. I think the Sox use it for guys they have to make a decision about adding to the 40-man. Russell and Gonzalez probably fall into that category.

Wrong on Russell and Whisler. They have them under control for several more years. This was only their second full year in the system, IIRC.

Owens is still a good prospect.

This is a better lineup than we've sent in recent years, truth be told.

EMachine10
10-12-2006, 11:25 AM
is bri guy still supposed to be playin winter ball?

KRS1
10-12-2006, 07:19 PM
With the exception of Day, Im pretty excited to see these guys. Angel is one Im going to watching to see what position he plays. He dissapointed the heck outta me with his play at 3b(well all around the IF) last ST, but I wonder if theyre going to expand his role to the OF. He could be a nice utility player if he could learn to use his abilities to at least play solid D all around the field. Owens second half was also damn good when you look at how he was a guy struggling to hit .230 and get on base at a .300 clip the first few months. Whisler and Russell are two guys I really want to see also. Wes seems to have progressed a ton in his second year as a full time pitcher and if Russell can find his command of the zone, he could be a surprise for us in the next couple seasons. Malone has always been a favorite of mine, and he is fully healed now so I hope we can see the real deal from him, and maybe even a nice bit of added command.

maurice
10-13-2006, 04:26 PM
This year, Gonzalez primarily played 2B, and he looked pretty good.
IIRC, he also played a few games in LF with Lopez at 2B.

KRS1
10-13-2006, 06:43 PM
This year, Gonzalez primarily played 2B, and he looked pretty good.
IIRC, he also played a few games in LF with Lopez at 2B.

I knew that, as it is obvious since Charlotte had Fields and occasioanlly Smith to play 3b. Mine was more of a comment on how bad he looked at 3b, in the effect that I would expect him to have to play there should he become a UT player. He also just flat out dissapointed me with his glove all around the IF, and that isnt too great for a prospective UT player. I look forward to seeing him used in a variety of roles this Fall, and Im sure our people relay how we want him used to his manager.

A. Cavatica
11-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Wasn't Dewon Day on Baseball America's list as having the best tools of a reliever in High Class A (or something like that)? I was moderately excited to see him doing well in the AFL.

Then I realized he's 26. So much for that idea.

TDog
11-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Wasn't Dewon Day on Baseball America's list as having the best tools of a reliever in High Class A (or something like that)? I was moderately excited to see him doing well in the AFL.

Then I realized he's 26. So much for that idea.

Most relief pitchers who have good years have only ore or two good years, even if they're in the big leagues for six or eight years. When you're building a nasty bullpen, you have to be lucky and get guys having good years.

If a guy is 26 and might have a strong MLB bullpen year or two in his future, I wouldn't complain.

caulfield12
11-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Look no futher than the Cardinals this post-season, with a guy playing for the independent St. Charles team recently and another career minor league making up key parts of their bullpen down the stretch, along with the untested Wainright.