PDA

View Full Version : Twins pick up Hunter's option

mjmcend
10-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Now it will be interesting to see if they trade him or keep him.

Per Rotoworld:

Twins exercised outfielder Torii Hunter's $12 million club option for 2007.
Whether they wanted to keep him or not, picking up Hunter's option makes sense. He should have some trade value, and he's a far better investment for 2007 alone than he would be at something like $40 million-$50 million over four years. Hunter has made it clear he's prefer to stay with the Twins on a long-term deal. There's a chance that the club will make him some sort of offer prior to the start of next year. Oct. 10 - 3:42 pm et

soxinem1
10-10-2006, 02:49 PM
The Twins will be paying out some money this year, with Hunter, Morneau, Cuddyer, and Mauer set to get big raises this year.

Silva is probably as good as gone now...........

cleanwsox
10-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Fine by me, $12 million they can't spend on filling out that rotation.

CHISOXFAN13
10-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Fine by me, $12 million they can't spend on filling out that rotation.

Agreed. He's lost a step, and that's a big chunk of change for the Twins to spend on one story.

SoxSpeed22
10-10-2006, 04:48 PM
I think it's a forgone conclusion what the Jumbotron at the Cell will play in his first at-bat.
http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20061004/wmillson04/hunter.JPG

Cuck_The_Fubs
10-10-2006, 06:38 PM
I hate Hunter, I hate the twinkies, and i hate everyone on that team (besides Joe Nathan). Makes me angry hes on the twins again, but its not suprise by all means....:angry:

thomas35forever
10-10-2006, 06:44 PM
I hate Hunter, I hate the twinkies, and i hate everyone on that team (besides Joe Nathan). Makes me angry hes on the twins again, but its not suprise by all means....:angry:
There's really not much you can do about that.

Btw, my cousins who live in St. Paul used to be friends with Joe Mauer's brother. Joe only struck out once during high school!

TCentral
10-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Agreed. He's lost a step, and that's a big chunk of change for the Twins to spend on one story.

Hunter isn't the middle of the lineup anchor the twins thought when they last signed him long term. However this year his batting production was about his best. Anytime you get 30 homeruns out of Hunter thats a plus. Besides, his playoff fielding performance is only going to give him more incentive in next years race. That was not torri hunter outfielding. Good signing.

cleanwsox
10-11-2006, 08:20 AM
However this year his batting production was about his best.

I wonder why that was.... oh wait 12 million dollars were on the line. Of course he has the same incentive next year so I guess we'll see.

caulfield12
10-11-2006, 08:37 AM
http://www.startribune.com/509/story/728344.html

The Twins are still going to have plenty of money to sign a DH as well as a #3/4/5 veteran starter to replace Silva. Maybe even two veteran starters, like a Ted Lilly type.

However, Liriano is in rehab right now and there's growing concern despite the MRI's that he will need surgery and be done for the 2007 season.

They also have to decide about LF, with Stewart's contract off the books and Rondell White, Tyner and Kubel all looking like "half" solutions.

Of course Hunter's PO'ed, he doesn't want trade speculation all year and it's easier when you have a guaranteed long-term deal. I don't think he will ever be the same defensive player he was 2-3 years ago, because of the turf as well as the injuries.

I'm also not convinced that Cuddyer is worth huge money...they could sign him like the Indians did with Peralta and be left holding the bag. He's a very good player, but I don't think he's a great one.

Perkins came on at the end, so the Twins have their bullpen set with Reyes, Crain, Neshek, Rincon, Guerrier, Nathan and Perkins. Heck, that's 7 guys, 8 counting Eyre. So Kenny Williams has his work cut out to solidify the other 3 bullpen spots for the Sox.

The Immigrant
10-11-2006, 09:57 AM
It seems like half of the Twins roster is arbitration eligible, and now Hunter and Santana will combine to make $24 million next year. It should be an interesting off-season for the Twinkies.

Hitmen77
10-11-2006, 10:02 AM

The Twins are still going to have plenty of money to sign a DH as well as a #3/4/5 veteran starter to replace Silva. Maybe even two veteran starters, like a Ted Lilly type.

However, Liriano is in rehab right now and there's growing concern despite the MRI's that he will need surgery and be done for the 2007 season.

They also have to decide about LF, with Stewart's contract off the books and Rondell White, Tyner and Kubel all looking like "half" solutions.

Of course Hunter's PO'ed, he doesn't want trade speculation all year and it's easier when you have a guaranteed long-term deal. I don't think he will ever be the same defensive player he was 2-3 years ago, because of the turf as well as the injuries.

I'm also not convinced that Cuddyer is worth huge money...they could sign him like the Indians did with Peralta and be left holding the bag. He's a very good player, but I don't think he's a great one.

Perkins came on at the end, so the Twins have their bullpen set with Reyes, Crain, Neshek, Rincon, Guerrier, Nathan and Perkins. Heck, that's 7 guys, 8 counting Eyre. So Kenny Williams has his work cut out to solidify the other 3 bullpen spots for the Sox.

How do you figure that they have alot of money left over? The article wasn't too helpful. It only listed the salaries of the players who are under contract and not up for arbitration. Batting champ Mauer and MVP-caliber-season Morneau are among those up for arbitration - they might be in line for huge raises this year.

ma-gaga
10-11-2006, 10:07 AM

I don't know what you think Cuddyer's going to get in arbitration. I'd be happy if the Twins signed him to a 4 yr - $16mm deal. And I think that's a reasonable deal (and quite a bit different than Peralta's. Jhonny was in a completely different service time, and he plays a completely different position. I don't see the similarities here.). The first year Cuddyer finally locks in and hits the ball like he did in the minors', is the first year the Twins stopped jerking him around, moving him all over the diamond.

(you want to know what I don't like about Gardenhire? His inability to maximize his talent the the GM provides, and his penchant for blaming everything on the rookies.)

But we'll see. The T.Hunter signing doesn't bother me, yet. If this contract interferes with the team's abilities to sign their younger talent to long term deals, this signing is going to bug the **** out of me.

Lip Man 1
10-11-2006, 11:37 AM
In the story Tori is quoted as saying the Twins are going to win the World Series next year.

:D:

Lip

davenicholson
10-11-2006, 11:53 AM
(and quite a bit different than Peraltthe scum laden A's. Jhonny was in a completely different service time,
Sometimes the language filter cracks me up! Kinda reminds me of when I typed the name of a famous Japanese electronics manufacturer. OK, I want to try a test: I hope Santana's arm falls off next year.

veeter
10-11-2006, 11:54 AM
I think the Twins might trade him.

DumpJerry
10-11-2006, 11:57 AM
In the story Tori is quoted as saying the Twins are going to win the World Series next year.

Lip
Someone needs to educate Toriiii on how to get there. Namely, you have to get past the ALDS. Then there is the ALCS. Then there is the WS. BTW Toriii-the WS title goes to the first team of the two teams to win four games. Four is the number after three, but before five.

Maybe now the pinhead will get it.

SoxSpeed22
10-11-2006, 12:29 PM

Lip:hawk
"I luuuuuuv extra motivation."

ma-gaga
10-11-2006, 12:56 PM
ok. I updated my payroll numbers. The Twins have about $9mm to spend on a SP and a DH. If they bring back Silva and Rondl White, they don't have any excess money to spend unless they raise payroll. And they might do that. We'll see.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~dunca016/Twins%20Roster%20-%202007%20Salaries.jpg

The arbitration figures are guesses, and I need to double check a couple of players that recently signed extensions (Redmond and Reyes). But I think that'll be fairly close to the final numbers.

Torii, Silva and Rondl really stick out with the production not matching the salaries. ... Anyways, $9mm, and conceivably, they already have the players on the roster. The biggest question is the pitching staff. Do they go into next season with all those young pitchers?? It would be incredibly risky, but there could be a monster payoff... Detroit and 'the scummy' Oakland'ers made that kind of committment to their young pitchers, and look at where they are today.

:gulp: