PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion, is Pods coming back?

KMKsuburbannoise
10-10-2006, 02:01 PM
He didn't put up impressive numbers but they weren't super bad. he did make a lot of good plays in the outfield, but is he coming back?

soxchick20
10-10-2006, 02:10 PM
i'd like him to despite the crummy numbers this year........i think he would bounce back. But, i'm not too sure that will happen.

rdwj
10-10-2006, 02:12 PM
He gone!

He's lost a step and that was the only thing that made him dangerous. Now he's a below average fielder with a bad arm that doesn't get on base enough and can't steal.

Not much of a call for guys like that on a contender.

23Ventura
10-10-2006, 02:13 PM
I doubt he'll be back, he's lost a step and he's just not as good as he was in the first half of '05.

KMKsuburbannoise
10-10-2006, 02:14 PM
he did steal 40 this year. That ain't half bad, yes he has a problem getting on base but he did last year to. He just didn't come through in the clutch this year but hey a lot of Sox didn't

Hangar18
10-10-2006, 02:15 PM
He gone!

He's lost a step and that was the only thing that made him dangerous. Now he's a below average fielder with a bad arm that doesn't get on base enough and can't steal.

Not much of a call for guys like that on a contender.

Your right for the most part, but the SOX are now waiting to make a decision on him. They are going to take a look at him "medically" and are not going to just throw him away as they earlier were going to do. Stand by on this one. He is also still fairly cheap

DumpJerry
10-10-2006, 02:24 PM
No.

duke of dorwood
10-10-2006, 02:37 PM
In short, No

In Long , Hell No

JB98
10-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Pods has been here two years, and he's only had one good half. IMO, no, he is not coming back. He hasn't been the same since the injury. When he gets on base these days, he seems less inclined to run and he's not as effective when he does run. That's concerning, considering that he needs to run to be productive.

soxinem1
10-10-2006, 02:42 PM
I personally think he will be evaluated fully on a physical aspect before they decide. Hernia's can be serious, and the aftereffects can linger for awhile.

He's not old, and ran okay in spurts. The only high-number stealer out there as a FA is Pierre, and since he get's tossed out a lot, why bother with a more expensive version of Pods?

Not to hijack, but ponder this:

Does anyone think Shannon Stewart might be a potential replacement? Or Coco Crisp? Both figure to be non-tendered or bought out.

With KW's thinking, you never know.

soxfanatlanta
10-10-2006, 02:54 PM
He didn't put up impressive numbers but they weren't super bad. he did make a lot of good plays in the outfield, but is he coming back?

I seriously doubt it. Pods is a streaky hitter, the problem is that most of this year was a cold streak. As others have posted, no hitting, no defense, lost first step, he's gone. It was a hell of a homer back in 2005, though.

WhiteSoxFan5644
10-10-2006, 02:58 PM
IMHO, I wouldn't mind Pods back, ONLY if he hits 9th, he is not the answer for the leadoff hitter next year.

BainesHOF
10-10-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't want Podsednik batting leadoff for us any longer, but...

Imagine if we acquire Ichiro to play center. Then Ichiro could lead off and Podsednik could bat ninth.

I don't think Anderson will be starting anywhere for us in 2007.

Minnie Me
10-10-2006, 03:24 PM
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1362/5320_0002.jpg (http://us.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1362/5520_0011.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0049366&seq=2)Make Him Go Away!!!

White Sox Randy
10-10-2006, 03:24 PM
NO, but not because of his offense. Because of his defense.

If he were a good left fielder, they would probably keep him because Pierre or Roberts is maybe a very slight offensive upgrade.

But, when you consider that he hurts us defensively as well....and that we have to take him out late in games for a defensive replacement....well then it doesn't matter how fast he is.

The Dude
10-10-2006, 03:28 PM

Are you kidding me????????????????????:o::o::o:

To answer your post question nicely...........

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PAPChiSox729
10-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Does anyone think Shannon Stewart might be a potential replacement? Or Coco Crisp? Both figure to be non-tendered or bought out.

I would welcome Stewart; Crisp, I would not.

russ99
10-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Man, I'd love to see Ichiro in CF and Pods in left. :D:

Podsednik's biggest problem is (and always has been since breaking out with Milwaukee) is that he's had a tough time adjusting his game. Some of his basestealing problems come out of the rest of the league having a "book" on him and his not being able to change his leadoff routines away from last years. He really didn't scare any pitchers this year, and maybe that's a result of success. Same thing goes for hitting.

I also think Raines helped him out a lot as a coach in '05, with Harold coaching first this season (a mistake IMO) there had to be a drop-off.

The fans problem with him is that at times this year, the effort really seemed to be lacking, and maybe that's from being so down on himself, and maybe not. If he's any kind of competitor, this season (and a healthy offseason) will really spur him on for next year.

I'd like to see the Sox re-sign him cheap and make no promises for next season, and make him earn his way back to a lineup spot. With his numbers this year, I can't see him winning an arb case. The Sox need to come up with another alternative for LF either way.

Ol' No. 2
10-10-2006, 03:40 PM
It's pretty simple:

If they can get someone better, then no.

If they can't, then yes.

It's easy to say get rid of him. But who are you going to get that's a real improvement?

10-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Can we convert this thread into a Thanks for the memories one?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40940000/jpg/_40940914_podsednik270.jpg

Thanks Scott. I still replay this moment back in my head daily.

ode to veeck
10-10-2006, 03:44 PM
I also think Raines helped him out a lot as a coach in '05, with Harold coaching first this season (a mistake IMO) there had to be a drop-off.

The Rock was one of the greatest baserunners and stealers ever. I'd love to have him back at 1st instead of Harold

34 Inch Stick
10-10-2006, 03:56 PM
You bring him back while he is still cheap. Even if he platoons with someone like Sweeney, you probably will not find anything better for the cost...and cost is a concern this offseason.

I'm willing to give him another look to see if he is one of those guys who has one good year followed by one bad year in his career.

Cuck_The_Fubs
10-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Yup. Pods is definitely coming back. It's easy to say that he sucks, for various reasons (cant play center wind worth a damn), and hes just an average batter. But for the fact that winning teams are built upon pitching, batting is definitely not a concern to the 2007 CWS. Pods is cheap, and for that fact, he is coming back, like it or not.:dunno:

MVP
10-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Pods is gone.

BA: The Hitman
10-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Yup. Pods is definitely coming back. It's easy to say that he sucks, for various reasons (cant play center wind worth a damn), and hes just an average batter. But for the fact that winning teams are built upon pitching, batting is definitely not a concern to the 2007 CWS. Pods is cheap, and for that fact, he is coming back, like it or not.:dunno:

I see no way that KW can bring Pods back. Watching Pods this year made me sick. Ive never seen a leadoff hitter strike out looking more than pods this year. His job is to get on base and half of the time, he was left standing there with his bat on his shoulder. It just looked like he didn't care at all this season. He turned into an awful outfielder all of a sudden with a noodle arm. Sure, he is cheap, but I'd rather see someone out there who looks like they give a ****.

Lip Man 1
10-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Anything is possible so the best way to answer your question would be if the Sox can replace him they will. If not, or if they think what is available isn't that much of an upgrade, then he could return.

Lip

sox1970
10-10-2006, 04:30 PM
No, and a lot of it doesn't really have to do with Pods himself. I think it's mostly that the young guys, Sweeney and Fields are ready, or very close to being on the team. I think Uribe is gone and his replacement will end up leading off.

Palehose13
10-10-2006, 04:35 PM
It's pretty simple:

If they can get someone better, then no.

If they can't, then yes.

It's easy to say get rid of him. But who are you going to get that's a real improvement?

This is the best answer yet.

Myrtle72
10-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Because the Sox have a couple of options for a speedy addition to the team, they're probably going to replace him. They wouldn't just get rid of him without someone else in the leadoff position, though (duh).

Edit: I also believe it depends on if they believe Pods is going to improve next year or if he is going to have the same kind of year he did in 2006.

BiggestFan14
10-10-2006, 04:46 PM
I think he should be back and will have a better season, but no one knows for sure what Kenny Williams has planned...

joebro25
10-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Pods is gone.

I sure hope so. He really sucks. I do not want him back in LF next year.

Hangar18
10-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Because the Sox have a couple of options for a speedy addition to the team, they're probably going to replace him. They wouldn't just get rid of him without someone else in the leadoff position, though (duh).

Edit: I also believe it depends on if they believe Pods is going to improve next year or if he is going to have the same kind of year he did in 2006.

Again, the SOX quietly did a 180 regarding Pods. Early in the year, they were letting everyone know he was going to be somewhere else with the way he was brutal in the field and at the plate. Something came up now, where he is 50/50. We'll soon see where he ends up .......

KyWhiSoxFan
10-10-2006, 07:02 PM
He gone. The Sox need a serious upgrade at both leadoff and defensively in left field. They may not be able to fill it with one player, though. The leadoff hitter will probably have to come from the center field or short stop position.

AZChiSoxFan
10-10-2006, 07:10 PM
He gone!

Now he's a below average fielder with a bad arm that doesn't get on base enough and can't steal.

Sure, but other than all of that stuff, he's still a pretty good player.

JB98
10-10-2006, 07:27 PM
I would welcome Stewart; Crisp, I would not.

I feel the exact opposite. Stewart has been a regular on the DL. He's only average in the outfield, and he does not provide stolen-base capability.

Crisp is a good outfielder, and he can steal a bag. He switch-hits, which is a plus. He did have an injury last year, but he doesn't have a long history of injury like Stewart. And he excelled in Cleveland. Maybe he couldn't make the adjustment to playing in Boston. 2006 was definitely a bad year for Crisp, but
I'd gamble that he would be an upgrade over Pods.

Beautox
10-11-2006, 02:24 AM
No i don't think podsednik will be with the white sox next year. Personally i would like to see Melky Cabrera on the south side in LF next year.

BainesHOF
10-11-2006, 03:59 AM
The Rock was one of the greatest baserunners and stealers ever. I'd love to have him back at 1st...

We might as well go one step further: Put Rock in left and make Podsednik the first base coach.

Grzegorz
10-11-2006, 04:55 AM
I have no problem keeping him if he shows improvement at the plate; he needs to become more aggressive in terms of bunting for hits. He also needs to improve in the field.

To dump him without a well thought plan as to his replacement is foolish.

34rancher
10-11-2006, 05:36 AM
PLEASE I HOPE SO...
Here is why. If anyone here has ever had a hernia surgury (which I have). Then you know that while you are able to do a lot still, but you never feel right for about 14 months. There are days you feel sore, days you feel like you tore it open again, and days you really cannot run. Pods had a double hernia surgury in January. To me, that 100% explains his season. I look for Pods to have a monster season again next year, as the season will start about 14 months later than his last surgury. Think about it people. Ask others who have ahd this surgury....they will tell you.

Thome25
10-11-2006, 07:55 AM
It's amazing how many posters on here are willing to throw Pods away.

Pods gave us one of the single greatest moments in Sox history.

Would the Pirates have just got rid of Bill Mazeroski? Did the Dodgers just dump Kirk Gibson? Did the Blue Jays just put Joe Carter out to pasture?

Pods did something that was pretty much equal to all three of those players. I don't think we should just dump him.

He will come relatively cheap in arbitration. Why not keep him and bat him 9th? Or maybe even keep him as the 4th outfielder behind BA and whoever we get for LF?

Beautox
10-11-2006, 08:27 AM

Would the Pirates have just got rid of Bill Mazeroski? Did the Dodgers just dump Kirk Gibson? Did the Blue Jays just put Joe Carter out to pasture?

Pods did something that was pretty much equal to all three of those players. I don't think we should just dump him.

He will come relatively cheap in arbitration. Why not keep him and bat him 9th? Or maybe even keep him as the 4th outfielder behind BA and whoever we get for LF?

wow, just wow, thats what the 2005 white sox world series dvd is for, quit living in the past, thank you for 2005 Scott. For pods to be a 4th OFer that would mean he would need to be decent on defense which he is not, and he would have to be able to hit/steal bases at a sucessful rate, which he can't, and hes going to be getting a decent bump in Arb, no thank you.

Thome25
10-11-2006, 08:30 AM
wow, just wow, thats what the 2005 white sox world series dvd is for, quit living in the past, thank you for 2005 Scott. For pods to be a 4th OFer that would mean he would need to be decent on defense which he is not, and he would have to be able to hit/steal bases at a sucessful rate, which he can't, and hes going to be getting a decent bump in Arb, no thank you.

Yeah I gotta stop living in the past because 2005 was just sooooooooo long ago.

Pods is still relatively young. A hernia is a hard injury to come back from. I don't think he is fully recovered from that injury.

Does he deserve another chance to prove he can come back? Sure. why not?

Beautox
10-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Yeah I gotta stop living in the past because 2005 was just sooooooooo long ago.

Pods is still relatively young. A hernia is a hard injury to come back from. I don't think he is fully recovered from that injury.

Does he deserve another chance to prove he can come back? Sure. why not?

that chance was after the '05 offseason, he has lost a step in both LF and on the base paths and i hate to break it to you but yes '05 is in the books. coming into this season we were looking to at least get into the post season to have some semblance of defending our crown that didn't happen. time to move forward. Pods is already 30 and is going to be 31 before the start of next season, he isn't "relatively young".

Thome25
10-11-2006, 08:44 AM
that chance was after the '05 offseason, he has lost a step in both LF and on the base paths and i hate to break it to you but yes '05 is in the books. coming into this season we were looking to at least get into the post season to have some semblance of defending our crown that didn't happen. time to move forward. Pods is already 30 and is going to be 31 before the start of next season, he isn't "relatively young".

Pods wasn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs. Pitching was. How can you say 2006 was his chance to prove himself again? He was obviously facing lingering problems from his injuries.

How else do you explain such a dropoff? I'd have to say the guy wasn't fully recovered in 2006.

See what he has in 2007 (NOT as the leadoff man) and then go from there.

OEO Magglio
10-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Pods wasn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs. Pitching was. How can you say 2006 was his chance to prove himself again? He was obviously facing lingering problems from his injuries.

How else do you explain such a dropoff? I'd have to say the guy wasn't fully recovered in 2006.

What happened to him in 04 then? I honestly could learn to live with his bad offense if he wasnt one of the 3 worst defensive left fielders in baseball. The guy is just a bad player.

Beautox
10-11-2006, 08:50 AM

a .330OBP and nearly getting caught 50% of the time certainly didn't help, neither did SO 96 times in which it felt like 90 of them were looking. And his defense is shotty at best in LF if hes not leading off he has no value to this team as a corner OFer, you need better production for that spot plain and simple if your not leading off.

Who is to say he will be healthy in '07? our offense as a whole is going to regress a little im expecting drop off from Dye and Thome and Uribe can't possibly get any worse....or can he? Anderson should be able to put up a .260avg, and crede just had a career year and lingering back issues. The pitching should return to their career norms next year but i don't expect this offense to be as dominate, not with out adding a real lead off hitter and someone of arods stature.

Hangar18
10-11-2006, 08:54 AM

The more "chatter" one hears coming from the SOX front office, the more its becoming apparent Pods may still be a SOX in 07 in some limited capacity.
Im really interested in how all this pans out ...

spiffie
10-11-2006, 09:45 AM

In Oct. 1988 Kirk Gibson was a hero in LA. In April of 1991 he was playing for the Kansas City Royals.

The Pirates kept Bill Mazeroski around for a long time after 1960. He also was an All-Star for 4 of the next 6 years.

The Blue Jays kept Joe Carter around as long as he was a consistent All-Star (1994, 1996). In 1997 he slipped, hitting 234/284/399. In April of 1998 he was with Baltimore.

There's a place for old heroes who can't get it done anymore. That place is doing autograph signings and community relations. Not left field for a World Series contender.

Soxfest
10-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Pods is history...... thanks for 2005 .......see ya!

russ99
10-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Or maybe even keep him as the 4th outfielder behind BA and whoever we get for LF?

The only problem with that is that there's younger and cheaper players out there that will give the Sox a lot better defense as a backup.

I'm for signing him cheap and making him earn his spot in Spring Training. If he can't cut it then, trade him for an essential spare part, like they did with Borchard. That's not to say Pods and Borchard are equal in value, but to mention what Kenny got for Borchard.

Luke
10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
In a perfect world, the Sox would like to replace him, but what's available (Pierre, possibly Figgins) may not amount to much more than a horizontal move. It sounds like the organization is not opposed to bringing him back though depnding on the market for leadoff men this winter.

Beautox
10-11-2006, 10:21 AM
The only problem with that is that there's younger and cheaper players out there that will give the Sox a lot better defense as a backup.

I'm for signing him cheap and making him earn his spot in Spring Training. If he can't cut it then, trade him for an essential spare part, like they did with Borchard. That's not to say Pods and Borchard are equal in value, but to mention what Kenny got for Borchard.

Just a little something to think about: the marlins got mitre, nolasco and pinto for one year of Pierre. Scott has two years of ARB left, played in a tougher league and division and had a better OBP than pierre did in '05. I would like to believe we will be getting something decent back for him.

Thome25
10-11-2006, 10:28 AM

I'd have to totally agree with your post. Sign him for cheap, see what kind of role he can play, and if he doesn't fit for some reason, trade him ala Joe Borchard.

russ99
10-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Just a little something to think about: the marlins got mitre, nolasco and pinto for one year of Pierre. Scott has two years of ARB left, played in a tougher league and division and had a better OBP than pierre did in '05. I would like to believe we will be getting something decent back for him.

Good point. But if Scott's healthy and can get back to an early '05 level, he's worth a lot more to the Sox than any prospects they can get. Pretty big if, though.

Thome25
10-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Better yet, if the Sox somehow got Pierre AND kept Podsednik have them battle for a spot in spring training.

They both underachieved last year and this situation might light a fire under both of them.

BanditJimmy
10-11-2006, 10:37 AM
If Frank Thomas was cut lose after 15+ seasons with the club.... I think we can live with Pods being dropped as well.

I fear the day this happens because I can't take another farewell love fest like that one given to Aaron Rowand when he was traded.

BV2005
10-11-2006, 02:01 PM
I think we should keep pods as a backup outfeilder / pinch runner. If his replacement doesn't work out than give him a chance to redeem himself.

Gavin
10-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Pods will come back if the price is right for KW.

cws05champ
10-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Pods, great in 2003
Bad in 2004
Great in 2005
Bad in 2006.....hmmm I see a pattern developing here!

2007 may be a better year for him, there have been players for some reasons have been good then bad then good.

Offer arbitration, sign him for cheap $, if he doesn't work out we need to have Sweeney or fields on the roster for some development.

wdelaney72
10-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Can we sign Soriano for LF, instead?

wdelaney72
10-11-2006, 03:32 PM
I think we should keep pods as a backup outfeilder / pinch runner. If his replacement doesn't work out than give him a chance to redeem himself.

See Ozuna, Pablo. He currently does this, and is even cheaper than Podsednik.

JB98
10-11-2006, 08:18 PM
If Frank Thomas was cut lose after 15+ seasons with the club.... I think we can live with Pods being dropped as well.

I fear the day this happens because I can't take another farewell love fest like that one given to Aaron Rowand when he was traded.

I don't think anything could be that ridiculous.

ondafarm
10-11-2006, 09:16 PM
No.

Beautox
10-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Better yet, if the Sox somehow got Pierre AND kept Podsednik have them battle for a spot in spring training.

They both underachieved last year and this situation might light a fire under both of them.

wow. please do your homework on anything that comes out of your brain and onto your keyboard. Pierre is going to get a nice 3-4 year fat contract, nothing like furcal but it will be up there hes a FA. So you want to sign Pierre for an exorbitant amount of money, retain pods for what id assume will be in the 3-5 mil range and then precede to have both of them battle it out in spring training. wow.

next your going to be saying things like Crede is better than A Rod and you shouldn't trade with the other 29 teams in MLB because it might come back to haunt you. /sarcasm

Thome25
10-12-2006, 07:37 AM
wow. please do your homework on anything that comes out of your brain and onto your keyboard. Pierre is going to get a nice 3-4 year fat contract, nothing like furcal but it will be up there hes a FA. So you want to sign Pierre for an exorbitant amount of money, retain pods for what id assume will be in the 3-5 mil range and then precede to have both of them battle it out in spring training. wow.

next your going to be saying things like Crede is better than A Rod and you shouldn't trade with the other 29 teams in MLB because it might come back to haunt you. /sarcasm

I probably deserved that sarcasm after my argument yesterday. (Which I still stand by.)

No need to get rude here. And I apologize if you took offense to anything I was talking about yesterday.

russ99
10-12-2006, 09:01 AM
retain pods for what id assume will be in the 3-5 mil range

I seriously doubt that Pods would get 3 mil from any team next year due to injury (or lost a step) concerns and his horrible numbers from this season.

He won't go to arb for just this reason (he'd lose) and would be smart to take a 1 year deal for a little less than 2 Mil. Baseball Reference has his salary for 2006 pegged at 2.075 Mil.

Beautox
10-12-2006, 09:36 AM
I seriously doubt that Pods would get 3 mil from any team next year due to injury (or lost a step) concerns and his horrible numbers from this season.

He won't go to arb for just this reason (he'd lose) and would be smart to take a 1 year deal for a little less than 2 Mil. Baseball Reference has his salary for 2006 pegged at 2.075 Mil.

thanks for the insight.

southside rocks
10-12-2006, 09:48 AM

I don't think anything could be that ridiculous.

No? I do.

Check in here the day after the Sox trade BA.

No teal. :tongue:

spiffie
10-12-2006, 09:57 AM

I'm pretty sure your salary can't be lowered in arbitration. So if he goes to Arb, he's going to be at least a 2.1, and more likely a 2.5 or so million a year player.

White Sox Randy
10-12-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm pretty sure your salary can't be lowered in arbitration. So if he goes to Arb, he's going to be at least a 2.1, and more likely a 2.5 or so million a year player.

$ 3 mil. in arb. wouldn't surprise me at all.

goofymsfan
10-12-2006, 11:08 AM
My understanding of how arbitration works is this: The club gives a salary, the player gives a salary, and the arbitrator has to chose which salary the player will be awarded. It has to be one or the other. Usually the numbers are not too different, but it can be an ugly process.

Here is a good definition of the arbitration process (http://baseball.about.com/od/basicrule1/g/arbitration.htm)

spiffie
10-12-2006, 11:17 AM
I was slightly mistaken. According to various sites out there, the club offer has to be at least 80% of the previous year's salary. However, for Podsednik, there's no way an arbitrator would cut his pay, for the same reasons everyone here who so loves him would be crying if he were gone. So the Sox would likely come in with a modest increase, Pods would submit a bigger one, and either way his pay is going up.

CaptainBallz
10-12-2006, 11:18 AM

I think the love was tainted by the underwhelming 2006 season. Something about a WS victory that makes the fan go ga-ga.

Mohoney
10-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Honestly, I'd bring him back. I say this because we were still able to manage 90 wins with a pitching staff that was in disarray most of the season. A revamped bullpen and a better season from Buehrle would be enough, in my eyes, to make the playoffs in '07.

Since we already have Pods' rights, why not just bring him back and worry about using every available resource we have to upgrading the bullpen, which was our real problem?

I say offer him arbitration, because I think that, at worst, he replicates his 2006 performance and we platoon him with Pablo. Personally, I think he will cut down on those backward Ks next year and put the ball in play more.

We need another LH reliever to take some of the burden away from Neal Cotts and shorten his stints, otherwise it will be an uphill battle for him to come back. I would think the ideal situation would be to give him a few more short 1 or 2 batter stints and a few more days off than he got this year. Reduce his role, and hope that he succeeds and builds confidence.

WhiteSox5187
10-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Before you ditch Podsednik, I want to have someone who can replace him. People point to Pablo, but he's not improvement in left...My brother was talking about somehow getting Carl Crawford. That might be just ideal speculation, but if u can get a Crawford or an Ichiro, Pods is gone. But is Juan Pierre any better? I'd say no. He strikes out just as much as Pods and to Pods credit, he works the count, Pierre doesn't.

kevin57
10-14-2006, 01:45 PM
I think Kenny will shop him vigorously. The sticky aspect is that there aren't a whole lot of great leadoff guys around. No use getting rid of him if there isn't a viable alternative.

I think we saw the best of Pods in 2005. He won't be returning to his old form.

FedEx227
10-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Lets please not get Juan Pierre.

Dan the Man
10-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Lets please not get Juan Pierre.

He is just a faster Pods. Jelly arm, decent fielder, good bunter. I kind of hope that Pods will be back, but don't think he will.

russ99
10-15-2006, 12:31 PM
I was slightly mistaken. According to various sites out there, the club offer has to be at least 80% of the previous year's salary. However, for Podsednik, there's no way an arbitrator would cut his pay, for the same reasons everyone here who so loves him would be crying if he were gone. So the Sox would likely come in with a modest increase, Pods would submit a bigger one, and either way his pay is going up.

The arbitrator could care less about fan support, it's all about making a case between the two offers (team & player) strictly by performance. This is why arb is messy and the Sox don't like to do it because they have to slam their player to justify the lower offer, plus it hurts the player's feelings, ego, etc. If the Sox want to play hardball, they could offer the 80% (diminished skills?) at the arb hearing but Kenny hates the arb process and the Sox haven't gone to an arb hearing in many years. Anyone have data on this?

That's why I suggest if the Sox have interest in keeping him, Pods should sign a 1 year deal for a small paycut, then if he proves himself in 2007, he could set himself up for a hefty raise as a FA next offseason. That December offer arb deadline doesn't mean much as the Sox can re-sign him and avoid arbitration any time before the hearing.

Lip Man 1
10-15-2006, 12:45 PM
A story in the Daily Southtown today by Nat Whalen on outfielders says the Sox are actually not that interested in Juan Pierre.

Lip

russ99
10-15-2006, 12:49 PM
A story in the Daily Southtown today by Nat Whalen on outfielders says the Sox are actually not that interested in Juan Pierre.

Lip

Doesn't surprise me. That earlier article seemed to me that it was more like Pierre interested in the Sox, than the other way around. Ozzie's comments was just making nice with one of his former players.

If Pods is replaced, Kenny should be thinking big.

johnny_mostil
10-15-2006, 12:51 PM

Are you kidding me? A platoon leftfielder who hits better than .278/.348/.379 against RHP and is worth about -10 runs in left field?

Try the waiver wire.

The Dude
10-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Are you kidding me? A platoon leftfielder who hits better than .278/.348/.379 against RHP and is worth about -10 runs in left field?

Try the waiver wire.

It's alright - ol' no 2 has been arguing for Pods for 6 months now!:redneck

goofymsfan
10-15-2006, 02:35 PM
The arbitrator could care less about fan support, it's all about making a case between the two offers (team & player) strictly by performance. This is why arb is messy and the Sox don't like to do it because they have to slam their player to justify the lower offer, plus it hurts the player's feelings, ego, etc. If the Sox want to play hardball, they could offer the 80% (diminished skills?) at the arb hearing but Kenny hates the arb process and the Sox haven't gone to an arb hearing in many years. Anyone have data on this?

That's why I suggest if the Sox have interest in keeping him, Pods should sign a 1 year deal for a small paycut, then if he proves himself in 2007, he could set himself up for a hefty raise as a FA next offseason. That December offer arb deadline doesn't mean much as the Sox can re-sign him and avoid arbitration any time before the hearing.

Another option is to sign him to sign him to a one year deal that is incentive laden. If he reaches certain marks he gets rewarded, if he doesn't, he doesn't get rewarded.

KMKsuburbannoise
10-15-2006, 04:57 PM
He is just a faster Pods. Jelly arm, decent fielder, good bunter. I kind of hope that Pods will be back, but don't think he will.

Pods couldn't bunt for **** this season

MDF3530
10-15-2006, 07:52 PM
I've known since the All-Star break that Pods will be referred to as "former White Sox outfielder Scott Podsednik". I think I had a higher OBP than he did this season.

kitekrazy
10-16-2006, 09:53 AM
...and cost is a concern this offseason.

It is? Says who? I guess the money from that 2.9 million attendance isn't enough to support a $100M payroll.

Since when did the White Sox Board of Directors start appearing on this site and telling us they need to reduce costs?

kitekrazy
10-16-2006, 09:56 AM
I sure hope so. He really sucks. I do not want him back in LF next year.

Then he really sucks when you add Mack in CF.

Hangar18
10-16-2006, 09:56 AM
the SOX have to OFFER Podsednik arbitration for all of that to go down. They wont, and if they did, he'd lose anyway. When all is said and done, the SOX will take a long hard look at him and try to find out what really was wrong with him, and then sign him very cheap.

Hangar18
10-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Then he really sucks when you add Mack in CF.

Early in the season, I kept saying:
You CANNOT have Pods and Mackowiak in the same outfield, in the same game. Ozzie didnt listen obviously. We played our worst outfield defense in quite some time

kitekrazy
10-16-2006, 10:03 AM

Plus he has that "Cubs stink" on him.

kitekrazy
10-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Pods couldn't bunt for **** this season

Neither could anyone eles on the team. The guy that usually bats after him that comes from a nation that sports "old school baseball" forgot how to do it as well.

SABRSox
10-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Pods would be a fantastic 4th OF.

White Sox Randy
10-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Pods would be a fantastic 4th OF.

He would be perfect ! - except that he doesn't play any of the 3 positions well.

jenn2080
10-16-2006, 01:03 PM
He would be perfect ! - except that he doesn't play any of the 3 positions well.

Neither did Rob so that doesnt matter. Clearly if the person was great at a position they would not be a bench player.

Craig Grebeck
10-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Neither could anyone eles on the team. The guy that usually bats after him that comes from a nation that sports "old school baseball" forgot how to do it as well.
Hooray for generalizations! Tad had an okay season, not great, but decent for a cheap 2b.

Beautox
10-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Neither did Rob so that doesnt matter. Clearly if the person was great at a position they would not be a bench player.

Thats not true at all, Rob Mackowiak is decent borderline good in the LF and RF, Rob is strictly a corners guy, 1B, 3B, LF, RF and maybe super super back up C??? lol.

jsinaiko
10-18-2006, 08:21 PM
What possible reason would one have to want him back?

He hit under .270, with an OBA of under .350; unacceptable for a leadoff man.
He had a whole load of caught stealings. Yeah, he stole a light 40, but how many innings did he run us out of?
A BUTCHER in LF. Lost a couple of games for us out there. I mean, would you rather have had Pods in LF with his shaky offense and horrid D, or Carlos Lee? Yeah, Lee is a bum, but so was Pods in 2006, without Lee's numbers.I like the guy - he's earnest and hard-working, but he was a 29-year-old rookie. That makes him 33 in 2007. Absolutely has lost a step, and with the lousy D, I don't think there is a team in the AL, this side of the Rays he could start for in any hole.

Sox need to go for Ichiro, Soriano, Crawford, or Pierre. I'd take any of the first three over Pierre, but I'd take him too. It's disturbing how many posters talk about how inexpensive Pods is. It's true, but so what? The Sox will be opening up a bunch of millions when they trade Garcia or one of the other starters, so I don't see money as an object.

With Lou across town, the Sox will have to put on a better show than they did in 06, no matter how pathetic the Cubs continue to be (and they may not be so pathetic - who knows?) and going cheap with the leadoff guy, who can't play the outfield either ain't the answer.