PDA

View Full Version : Armchair GM: Fix the Yanks

Flight #24
10-10-2006, 01:48 PM
OK, with all the speculation about ARod possibly getting dealt, seems like a decent time to talk about how any such move wodl fit into the Yanks bigger picture. A couple of constraints:

1) Payroll stays where it is right now.
2) Actually improve the team (AKA the "no Arod+Cash for Ozuna" deals).
3) Be realistic. No "Make Steinbrenner Sell the team", "Move them to Mississippi", etc. FO/Coaching moves are fair game though - with the exception of Torre, since he's staying.

For the record, here's (http://www.mlb4u.com/teamcontract.php?team=New%20York%20Yankees)the Yanks roster & contract situation, courtesy of MLB4U.com.

Fenway
10-10-2006, 02:08 PM
The Yankees are built to beat Boston over 162...

The reason they won 4 titles between 96 and 00 was they did allow themselves to rebuild in the early 90's...and they developed great team chemistry.

Now the problem is George wants to win number 27 before he dies and he figures money will solve everything.

The Tigers have that chemistry today and much of it came from the horrible season 3 years ago.

rdwj
10-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Don't we hear enough about the Yanks on ESPN? Do we REALLY need a thread about them on our board?

MUsoxfan
10-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Don't we hear enough about the Yanks on ESPN? Do we REALLY need a thread about them on our board?

Why not? "Talking Baseball" in the offseason.

1) Bye-Bye Sheffield and Bernie
2) Melky must be a very regular player
3) Do not sign ancient (Johnson/Brown) or flash in the pan (Pavano/Wright) pitchers to long-term deals
4) Trade A-Rod for young, proven pitching
5) Do not sign players to contracts that are impossible to unload

DumpJerry
10-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Why would anyone who is not a fan of, or investor in, the team give a rat's rear about how to "fix" them? I say take their 26 trophies and spread them around the league.

samram
10-10-2006, 03:03 PM
OK, with all the speculation about ARod possibly getting dealt, seems like a decent time to talk about how any such move wodl fit into the Yanks bigger picture. A couple of constraints:

3) Be realistic. No "Make Steinbrenner Sell the team", "Move them to Mississippi", etc. FO/Coaching moves are fair game though - with the exception of Torre, since he's staying.

For the record, here's (http://www.mlb4u.com/teamcontract.php?team=New%20York%20Yankees)the Yanks roster & contract situation, courtesy of MLB4U.com.

Well, it seems like ARod almost has to be traded, for both the team's and his sakes. That deal needs to bring back a #2/#3 starter and another major leaguer. That's why the Sox seem to be such an ideal trading partner for them. A package starting with John Lackey could also work with LAA.

I think either Sheffield or Giambi has to go as well. The OF is set with Damon, Matsui, and Abreu, and I think it's silly for them to have two guys who can't play 1B well when they can certainly sacrifice some offense there for defense (especially since Cano looks like a 25-90 guy if healthy). Maybe bring in Sean Casey or Pedro Feliz.

The rotation is an issue. Wang and Johnson are the two sure things, but I think they would like to have RJ be the 3 at the highest. I think Mussina will be let go. Wright only had a three year deal and has a team option for 2007 so he's gone. Pavano is a mystery- they may be looking to get out of that deal. However, if Arod and one of Sheff/Giambi (probably Sheff) are gone, you can think about Zito, or Pettitte if they want to save a bit. They can also think about Clemens or Jason Schmidt from the right side.

So assuming they make, say, a deal with LAA for Lackey and Cabrera (plus prospects), they have a lineup of:

Damon
Jeter
Abreu
Giambi
Matsui
Cano
Casey
Posada
Cabrera (assuming he would play third)

Rotation of:

Wang
Zito
Lackey
Johnson
Pavano

I know I haven't addressed the BP, but that's enough for now.:D: That lineup and rotation plus Rivera comes out roughly around $168M, so they would have around $25M (assuming they want to be at $195M again) or so to fill out the pen/bench.

Flight #24
10-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Personally, I make the following moves:

1) Wave bye bye to Sheff & Mussina
2) Sign Zito for $15M/yr
3) Offer ARod to the LAAA for Ervin Santana, Brandon Wood. If they balk, I go to the White Sox and ask for Crede, Garcia/Buehrle, and a prospect. Or the Tigers for Bonderman, Inge, and a prospect.
4) Resign Mussina at $10M/yr (supposedly he'll take less to stay in NY)
5) Sean Casey to play 1B
6) Add a couple of relief arms

Lineup: Damon (CF) - Jeter (SS) - Abreu (RF) - hGhiambi (DH) - Matsui (LF) - Cano (2B) - Posada (C) - Crede/Wood(3B) - Casey (1B)

Rotation: Zito(L) - Santana/Garcia (R) - Wang (R) - Johnson (L) - Mussina (R)

Payroll should be relatively flat with '06.

Edit: Not that dissimilar from Samram.

Ol' No. 2
10-10-2006, 03:52 PM
I think it boils down to this.

1. Improve the starting pitching
2. Keep Alex Rodriguez
3. No large increase in payroll

Choose any two.

Crede_Fan
10-10-2006, 04:23 PM
I would try to trade ARod to the SOX for Garcia, McCarthy & MacDougal/Fields (preferably Mac to help out BP). Take Garcia trade him to Texas for Hank Blalock or to Houston for Ensberg.

Then try to sign Zito. Find a NL team to trade Johnson to for BP and 1B either starter or back up. Or maybe Johnson to the the Tigers for Shelton & Rodney/Ledezema.

Lineup

Damon CF
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
Giambi 1B
Matsui DH
Posada C
Blalock/Ensberg 3B
Melky RF
Cano 2B

Rotation
Zito
Wang
Mussina
McCarthy
Wright (try to upgrade)

Myrtle72
10-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Now the problem is George wants to win number 27 before he dies and he figures money will solve everything.

The Tigers have that chemistry today and much of it came from the horrible season 3 years ago.

I completely agree with you about the "George thinks money will solve everything" thing.

And about the chemistry thing - that's not something you can create, I don't think. It just happens and if you do force it, it's not going to work the way you want it to.

Ol' No. 2
10-10-2006, 05:10 PM
I would try to trade ARod to the SOX for Garcia, McCarthy & MacDougal/Fields (preferably Mac to help out BP). I would, too if I were Brian Cashman. If I were KW, I'd hang up. No way any player is worth that much unless the Yankees were willing to pay all of Alex Rodriguez' salary.

fquaye149
10-10-2006, 06:53 PM
I would, too if I were Brian Cashman. If I were KW, I'd hang up. No way any player is worth that much unless the Yankees were willing to pay all of Alex Rodriguez' salary.

Hear hear. Now if it were Crede/Garcia for A-Rod + Cash, I'd start listening.

NY really wanted Freddy a while back iirc

A. Cavatica
10-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Fix the New York Yankees?

Move 'em to Baghdad for all I care.

Chicken Dinner
10-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Fix the New York Yankees?

Agreed. Why would anyone want to fix anything with the evil empire. Lets fix the White Sox!

ChiSoxlukes
10-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Too easy.

Don't resign Sheffield. Play Melky.
Trade A-Rod to L.A. for E. Santana and Shields.
Sign Zito.
Sign Schmidt.
Sign Soriano to play 2B. Move Cano to 3B.
Don't give Mussina 17 mil extension. Resign though for 6-8 mil. for bullpen help or as the 5th starter.

Zito, Wang, Schmidt, E. Santana, R. Johnson/Mussina

KyWhiSoxFan
10-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Have Steinbrenner step down and get rid of Cashman, that's a good start. (Not that we really care they failed; quite the opposite.)

SpartanSoxFan
10-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Sell them to the New York Post.

Frater Perdurabo
10-11-2006, 08:56 PM

Baghdad's too nice. How about Pyongyang? :redneck

ewokpelts
10-12-2006, 12:27 AM

For the record, here's (http://www.mlb4u.com/teamcontract.php?team=New%20York%20Yankees)the Yanks roster & contract situation, courtesy of MLB4U.com.i like them the way they are...chokers

Nellie_Fox
10-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Why do so many people care about what the Yankees need to do? I'd love to see them wallow in mediocrity for about, oh, fifty years or so.

Beautox
10-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Deal A rod for a young hungry 3B prospect(like josh fields) that you can break in as your #9 hitter and a young arm.

Keep Bernie around as a 4th OFer.

Don't pick up the options on Mussina or Sheffield.

Post and bid for Matsuzaka.

Wait till mid/late '07 for both Philip Hughes and Tyler Clippard.

The future rotation for the yankees looks bright.

Matsuzaka (26)
Hughes (20)
Wang (25)
Tyler Clippard (21)
Young Arm acquired from Arod trade.

All position players are locked up next year if not longer, and Tabata will be ready for a corner OF spot after '08(Abreu).

Horsemaster Fred
10-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Odin hates that Yankees

chaerulez
10-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Odin hates that Yankees

I think that sums everything up quite well.

samram
10-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Odin hates that Yankees

As does Greg Oden.

nysox35
10-12-2006, 05:24 PM
1. Sheff is gone
2. Wright is gone
3. Shore up the front end of the bullpen. Rivera, Proctor, Farns are good, but need 3 others. Villone and Myers are not the answer. Bruney looked decent this year and so did some young starters, Karstens and Rasner.
4. Decline Moose's option, but try to resign him on the cheap.
5. Listen to offers for ARod but don't give him away. Scenarios: ARod + Cash for Garcia/Fields/Broadway. ARod+Cash for Garcia/Crede. ARod+Cash for Santana/Figgins.
Keep ARod if no offer looks good.
6. Acquire a frontline starting pitcher. Wang is good, but more of a #2 than a lockdown Ace. Moose can fit in as a #3. Johnson can be #4 and Pavano can start the year as a 5, or they can call up Phil Huges later in the year.
Shoot for Zito or the Japanese guy. If not, Schmidt could work.
7. Find regular playing time for Melky and Andy Phillips. The team looked hungrier w/ these guys playing.
8. Consider signing a good fielding, contact hitter 1B (Casey, as some have listed)

CF Damon
SS Jeter
RF Abreu
DH Giambi
LF Matsui
C Posada
2B Cano
1B Casey/Phillips
3B Figgins/Fields

SP Zito/Japanese Ace/Schmidt
SP Wang
SP Moose