PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Torre will return in 2007

Fenway
10-10-2006, 01:29 PM
now the A-Rod death watch begins

New York Yankees (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nyy) manager Joe Torre said Tuesday he will return for the 2007 season.
Torre made the announcement at a postseason press conference at Yankee Stadium, saying he had been told by owner Georege Steinbrenner he would be brought back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2619564

palehozenychicty
10-10-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm guessing that he will back up Vlad next year in the Angels lineup.

cbotnyse
10-10-2006, 01:33 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Fenway
10-10-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm guessing that he will back up Vlad next year in the Angels lineup.

good chance Manny will be in Anaheim as well....

palehozenychicty
10-10-2006, 01:35 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yawn indeed, but let's be real. The Yankees aren't going to go away as the postseason unfolds. We all know it. So just stop worrying and love laughing at it!

MarySwiss
10-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Okay, so I guess that means that tomorrow there'll be a leak in one or more of the NYC fishwraps about how Steinbrenner will probably announce on Thursday that on Friday he will be scheduling a press conference that will take place on Monday or Tuesday, at which time he will reveal whether or not Torre and/or A-Rod may or may not be with the team in 2007.

I wonder if the media/MLB can keep the Yankees in the headlines all the way through the World Series?

DaleJRFan
10-10-2006, 01:37 PM
HOOORAY!!! I can continue with my life now - as it depended on this news!

Who the **** cares??

Not ripping on you fenway for posting.. its just that I, like many other WSI-ers, am completely sick of hearing about Torre getting fired or not getting fired.. and the NYY media circus as a whole.

I wonder if Steinbrenner now realizes you can't buy championships?

palehozenychicty
10-10-2006, 01:38 PM

Every Yankee title has been bought, in some fashion or another.

Hangar18
10-10-2006, 01:39 PM
I wonder if the media/MLB can keep the Yankees in the headlines all the way through the World Series?

I thought MLB policy forbade teams from scheduling press conferences/issueing press releases while the playoffs were on?

MarySwiss
10-10-2006, 01:42 PM
I thought MLB policy forbade teams from scheduling press conferences/issueing press releases while the playoffs were on?
Well according to Fen's post, Torre made the announcement at a press conference.

That policy probably contains a clause that renders it moot if the Yankees have been eliminated from the playoffs. :tongue:

Myrtle72
10-10-2006, 01:44 PM

Yeah, um... the playoffs are going on right now (well, technically, it's inbetween series, so maybe that's the loophole), and Torre definately just had a press conference.

I did notice though, that the media has been very careful at not actually calling it a "press conference" and that they instead call it a "meeting with the press." In fact, I heard a few people start to call it a press conference and then change their wording.

Call me crazy, but if that is an MLB policy, they are breaking it through a bunch of lame Yankee loopholes.

Oblong
10-10-2006, 01:45 PM
That restriction is just during the world series. MLB is going to start announcing all of their awards this week.

What's the point of a press conference to say you are not being fired? Wouldn't a press release work fine?

Fenway
10-10-2006, 01:47 PM

Bob Ryan nailed it today

You know when the Yankees were at their best this year? It was when they had scrappy players such as Melky Cabrera and Andy Phillips in the lineup. The former is a young star in the making and the latter is a classic overachieving glue guy. On the subject of star power, less is unquestionably more. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Bill Mueller.
I don't think The Boss has ever bought into this. The Boss has always believed that if you just pile star after star on top of each other, good things will happen.
http://boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/10/10/yankees_feeling_spent?mode=PF

This announcement indicates Cashman not George has the final say now.

Myrtle72
10-10-2006, 01:47 PM
What's the point of a press conference to say you are not being fired? Wouldn't a press release work fine?

It's the Yankees.

Fenway
10-10-2006, 01:48 PM

only during the World Series

soxfanatlanta
10-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Okay, so I guess that means that tomorrow there'll be a leak in one or more of the NYC fishwraps about how Steinbrenner will probably announce on Thursday that on Friday he will be scheduling a press conference that will take place on Monday or Tuesday, at which time he will reveal whether or not Torre and/or A-Rod may or may not be with the team in 2007.

Somehow, I understood that. :wink:

Even for a payroll equivalent of Costa Rica's GDP, $7 million is a tough buyout pill to swallow. Could you imagine all of the A-Rod suicide watches if Pinella ever chewed him out. (No teal)

southside rocks
10-10-2006, 02:43 PM
And this is why, as a Chicagoan all my life, I simply detest New York and everything about it. (Meaning no disrespect to any posters there.) It's all about NY, and anything that happens in NY is earth-shatteringly important and must be communicated to the rest of the world immediately.

Joe Torre is welcome to the job; frankly, even at $7 mil a year, it sounds like a bloody miserable way to live. I don't envy him.

Myrtle72
10-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Joe Torre is welcome to the job; frankly, even at $7 mil a year, it sounds like a bloody miserable way to live. I don't envy him.

I agree. I understand it's "the job of a lifetime" for him an all... but after the things Steinbrenner said, I would be pretty angry if I was Torre.

Fenway
10-10-2006, 02:55 PM
The Yankees have not recovered from Dave Roberts stealing second in the 9th inning of Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS....

Oblong
10-10-2006, 03:11 PM
The Yankees have not recovered from Dave Roberts stealing second in the 9th inning of Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS....

Or "Dave" Robertson in game 1 of the 2006 ALDS.. oh wait, sorry, that was Nate Robertson and they won that game.

*Joe referred to him as Dave Robertson in the pre-series press conference.

DSpivack
10-10-2006, 05:01 PM

Or Mariano blowing Game 7 in 2001.

MarySwiss
10-10-2006, 05:26 PM
One of my favorite Yankee memories! :smile:

cbotnyse
10-10-2006, 05:27 PM

One of my favorite Yankee memories! :smile:I was there for that. My brother somehow scored great seats for that game. It was great.

MarySwiss
10-10-2006, 05:29 PM
I was there for that. My brother somehow scored great seats for that game. It was great.

I had a great seat too. I was sitting in my hot tub with some Yankee fan friends! :tongue:

HotelWhiteSox
10-10-2006, 06:00 PM
http://mntwinsnation.com/image/65/98/1/ffffff/img/hunter.jpg

All this over me?