PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-11

Lip Man 1
10-10-2006, 11:32 AM
October 11, 1899 - The new American League is formed in Chicago. The city doesn’t have a team in the league for now but soon will get the St. Paul team with their player / manager Charles Comiskey. They will set up shop on the South Side.

October 11, 1991 - Sox manager Jeff Torborg who was named ‘Manager of the Year’ for 1990 resigns to take the job as manager of the New York Mets. Two stories surround his leaving. One is that he wanted to be closer to his ailing mother, the other was that members of the front office didn’t care for him (specifically G.M. Ron Schueler who wanted his own man) or his approach to handling pitchers, in particular Bobby Thigpen and that if he didn’t take the Mets job he’d be fired. (Donn Pall talks specifically about pitching and playing for Torborg in his interview with White Sox Interactive.)

Lip

Madvora
10-10-2006, 01:06 PM
I love Jeff Torborg. I was hoping he would have been in the running for Singleton's job. He's great on the air.

sageofthesox
10-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I love Jeff Torborg. I was hoping he would have been in the running for Singleton's job. He's great on the air.

AMEN!

Baby Fisk
10-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Agreed.