PDA

View Full Version : I hope this isn't true.

RedPinStripes
03-02-2002, 11:03 AM
I heard Parque was throwing high 70's -low 80's and could be short on his velacity for another 6 months. This could be a huge problem this year. Malone might be rushed quicker then he should be in this case.

Jerry_Manuel
03-02-2002, 11:06 AM
It was his first "game" back, so I'm not to concerned. If he's still throwing like that in the last week of March, I'd be worried.

voodoochile
03-02-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I heard Parque was throwing high 70's -low 80's and could be short on his velacity for another 6 months. This could be a huge problem this year. Malone might be rushed quicker then he should be in this case.

Sox have lots of options for SP. At the most it would mean that Glover AND Wright start, which leaves us a little short on middle relief, but not too bad - Osuna could always take up this role with Howrey remaining the RH setup man or they could start giving guys in the minors time to develop as middle relief. Which seems to be the way they prefer doing things anyway.

On talent alone, Parque is the weakest of the starters anyway...

RedPinStripes
03-02-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Sox have lots of options for SP. At the most it would mean that Glover AND Wright start, which leaves us a little short on middle relief, but not too bad - Osuna could always take up this role with Howrey remaining the RH setup man or they could start giving guys in the minors time to develop as middle relief. Which seems to be the way they prefer doing things anyway.

I just worry because we have 2 lefties comming off surgury and I don't have faith in Osuna at all for a righty set up man. There is really no established lefties on the team next to Mark. I'm sure they want 2 lefty startes also.

LongDistanceFan
03-02-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
It was his first "game" back, so I'm not to concerned. If he's still throwing like that in the last week of March, I'd be worried. i agree however it does make me nervious

Randar68
03-02-2002, 11:19 AM
No matter the rightie/Lefty scenario, they won't rush Malone just because he's lefty. They will bring Rauch in to start before Malone sees any time.

Soxheads
03-02-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
No matter the rightie/Lefty scenario, they won't rush Malone just because he's lefty. They will bring Rauch in to start before Malone sees any time.

I really also don't think Malone will see much time barring many injuries.

czalgosz
03-02-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

I really also don't think Malone will see much time barring many injuries.

That's what I thought about Garland two years ago.

But Jerry's right - Parque hasn't done any work at all for months. Of course his velocity's down. I'll worry about it if it hasn't improved by Opening Day.

Soxheads
03-02-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz

But Jerry's right - Parque hasn't done any work at all for months. Of course his velocity's down. I'll worry about it if it hasn't improved by Opening Day.

I think this year, we will be plesantly surprised with Garland.

I don't think Parque has much of a future left with the Sox. What's his contract status?

RedPinStripes
03-02-2002, 11:44 AM
I have a feeling we will see someone up here. I would hope it's rauch, but i know they want more tehn 1 lefty in the rotation. That's the only reason i fear them rushing Malone.

Soxheads
03-02-2002, 11:48 AM
I have a feeling we will see someone up here. I would hope it's rauch, but i know they want more tehn 1 lefty in the rotation. That's the only reason i fear them rushing Malone.

I think Parque will still pitch this year.

doublem23
03-02-2002, 11:51 AM

Great. Sounds like we'll get some salad with that butter.

RedPinStripes
03-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

I think Parque will still pitch this year.

That's what I'm afraid of. He wasn't good before surgury.

kermittheefrog
03-02-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

If Malone pitches in AAA for most of this year and posts a sub 2.00 era I say let him show up in the majors.

Lisa
03-02-2002, 10:37 PM
I'm just hoping that management is smart enough (yes, you can laugh now) to put Parque in the pen if he's not up to SP yet. Instead, they always seem to pretend that players are doing well or right on the verge of breaking out when they're clearly not. Think Baines :o:

baggio202
03-02-2002, 10:42 PM
problem with parque is his fastball was marginal before he got injured..if he loses any velocity at all...i mean even 1 or 2 mph...he is gonna get lit up like a x-mas tree.....he was throwing 85 last year and had an 8.04 era or something crazy like that...ther eis no room for error with parque...he has to get back to 90 mph or guys will just sit on his off speed pitches and adjust to his fastball 9(or slowball :))....then his career is over...

plus the guy is a head case anyways...i dont know...our pitching scares the crap out of me

RedPinStripes
03-03-2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Lisa
I'm just hoping that management is smart enough (yes, you can laugh now) to put Parque in the pen if he's not up to SP yet. Instead, they always seem to pretend that players are doing well or right on the verge of breaking out when they're clearly not. Think Baines :o:

I think I agree with you for the first time in a long time. :?:

hold2dibber
03-03-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

If 2/5's of our starters (40%) are Glover and Wright, we're screwed; forget the playoffs, start thinking about 2003. If Parque is not ready to be a solid starter in the majors by the end of the month, KW MUST trade for a real starting pitcher ASAP. We will NOT win the division if our starting rotation is Buehrle, Ritchie, Garland, Glover, Wright. I'm sorry, but that just won't cut it. Wright is AAA ready at best, and Glover is a 5 starter or a long bullpen guy. And I'm kind of sick of everyong slamming Parque; I don't necessarily disagree with him having the least natural talent, but he has CAJONES; I want someone with some stones out there (e.g., Biddle or Parque) and not someone who gets all freaked out when challenged (see Kip Wells). If you don't like Parque, fine. But he was a solid no. 4 in 2000 and if he's healthy, I think he can be counted on as a no. 3 or 4 this year.

RedPinStripes
03-03-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

If 2/5's of our starters (40%) are Glover and Wright, we're screwed; forget the playoffs, start thinking about 2003. If Parque is not ready to be a solid starter in the majors by the end of the month, KW MUST trade for a real starting pitcher ASAP. We will NOT win the division if our starting rotation is Buehrle, Ritchie, Garland, Glover, Wright. I'm sorry, but that just won't cut it. Wright is AAA ready at best, and Glover is a 5 starter or a long bullpen guy. And I'm kind of sick of everyong slamming Parque; I don't necessarily disagree with him having the least natural talent, but he has CAJONES; I want someone with some stones out there (e.g., Biddle or Parque) and not someone who gets all freaked out when challenged (see Kip Wells). If you don't like Parque, fine. But he was a solid no. 4 in 2000 and if he's healthy, I think he can be counted on as a no. 3 or 4 this year.

I bash Parque, but I do like him for being fearess on the mound. I don't think he's ready to start and succeed this year unless he gets about 10mhp back on his fastball.

I honestly think the Rotation we have will be enough to win the division with our offense. Mark, Ritchie and Garland will be fine and I think Garland might be at Burehle's level this year if not better. This division is not that tough and we have a great offense. As usual , expect the Sox to get their ass kicked in the first round of the playoffs.

Pete Ward
03-03-2002, 07:10 AM
There is too much emphasis on these surgically repaired arms. The accepted thought is: It takes 2 years to come back to full strength after surgery!

Bobby Howry is just NOW getting back to 93-95 mph.

Dont expect Parque to be ready to go full speed by opening day. It will take months, he probably should be a long man out of the pen (Sean Lowe's spot).

The Sox should have signed Helling or Sele and spent a few bucks to get an inning eater in here. I just cant see how adding a #3/4 starter would have hurt. Oh thats right, JR owns the team.

JR knows we will win the division by default ( c'mon Minn and Clev cant beat us)! So he see's no reason to take the next step and spend $$$. You can see it coming.... We win the division and get bounced in the 1st round of playoffs. Then, because we dont draw 3 million people, JR says he cant afford to pay top $, and we start all over again.

I dont mean to sound negative, but I think people on this board assume all the arm injuries should be FINE this year. Its not going too happen. These guys need time to heal. :gulp:

Feeling a little frustrated but .....still Love my Sox
Go Sox!

baggio202
03-03-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

a solid number 4??..go look at his lifetime stats...one year with an era under 5 and that year (00)during the heat of the pennant race when baldwin and eldred went on the DL and we needed parque to really step his game up he started pitching so bad he couldnt get out of the 3rd inning..then had a mental meltdown and started blaming all his problems on the press...if it wasnt for sean lowe stepping up to help out sirotka cleveland probably would have caught us(of course we reward sean by calling him the 11th pitcher on an 11 man staff..then trade him and keep a loser like parque)..his 13-6 record looks impressive from that year..but he also was the recipient of the best run support for any starting pitcher in baseball..8 runs a game...that was the only time he ever won in double digits...can we count on parque getting 8 runs this year???....lets hope so...cause he will need it