PDA

View Full Version : Totally Biased Game Recap - World Series Game 2 - October 10, 1906

Baby Fisk
10-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Totally Biased Game Recap: October 10, 1906

Dark Clouds Over Bridgeport

**1906 WORLD SERIES GAME TWO**
Chicago Cubs at Chicago White Stockings, South Side Park

Short take: The White Stockings are depantsed and humiliated on a day when exposed skin was ill-advised.

-----------------------------------------------------

Oh howling winds! Oh chill of despair! Oh Charles Comiskey, what fraud have you perpetuated in the hearts of your partisans?

On a brutally cold afternoon on the south side of Chicago, with temperatures around freezing, the White Stockings took to the field like near-corpses and played that way. The hearty, wooly Cubs seized the day and lived up to their reputations as 116-game winners. They are now very likely to win this World Series. The final score of this sorry contest is almost too disgraceful for your modest scribe to report, but under threat of withheld pay packet, he regretably records the numerals 7-1 in favour of the west siders.

It should not have been so. Player-manager Fielder Jones sent 18-game winner Doc White to the mound before a shivering crowd that consisted of 12,595 baseball fans and perhaps some errant Eskimos.

And the doctor appeared to have packed his bag with just the right prescription in the first inning, retiring the Cubs in order and inspiring a profusion of medical metaphors among baseball reporters crowded in the upper grandstand of Comiskey's former cricket ground. But malpractice was soon afoot.

(Play was halted in the bottom of the first when, prior to his at-bat, manager Jones was presented a complete silver service in handsome wooden case by his appreciative players. He thanked his charges, then grounded out.)

In the top of the second, Cubs third baseman Harry Steinfeldt and shortstop Joe Tinker both made base hits. Second baseman Johnny Evers then grounded to his counterpart Frank Isbell, who threw the ball wildly into the outfield. Steinfeldt scored and the Cubs had men on second and third. A walk to catcher Johnny Kling loaded the bases and Doc White was in a whole heap o' cow dung. Tinker scored on a ground out, and Evers followed him home on a base hit by Cubs centerfielder Solly Hofman. The Cubs added another run in the third on a walk, a passed ball, an error and a base hit.

The "Sox" finally scored in the bottom of the fifth. First baseman Jiggs Donahue walked. Left fielder Pat Dougherty followed by grounding into a fielder's choice that negated Donahue. Dougherty reached second on a wild pitch, then roared for home when a grounder by shortstop Lee Tannehill scooted between Tinker's hands. This proved to be the high point of the contest for south side boosters. In the very next inning, the Cubs played a kind of "small ball" to manufacture another run, with some help from their opponents.

Steinfeldt made a base hit, but was thrown out on a bad sacrifice bunt by Tinker. Evers followed with a base hit and moved Tinker to second. What came next was a most appalling play. Tinker and Evers launched a double steal. White Stockings catcher Billy Sullivan took the pitch and hurled the ball awkwardly towards third base. Before reaching its destination, the ball bounced and went past George Rohe. Tinker scored on the error, the score became 5-1, and the covert passage of flasks between south side spectators now became an open affair.

With some dispirited souls starting to seek warmer whereabouts, the Cubs piled it on in the eighth with two more runs for a 7-1 final. Ed Reulbach walked off the field the proud father of a complete game one-hitter for the win. Meanwhile, Doc White delivered a stillborn performance, giving up four runs on four hits in just three miserable innings, with a couple of errors thrown in by his teammates. Mercy!

The Game Three starters will be Ed Walsh for the White Stockings against the Cubs' Jack Pfeister. One can only hope that Comiskey's hitless wonders will go down quietly in the next three games, sparing their supporters of prolonged misery at the hands of a Cubs team that is clearly destined to win it all in 1906.

---------------------------------------------------

How was the trophy earned today? It wasn't.

Pick to Click Winner: Jiggs Donahue was the tallest dwarf, recording the only White Stockings hit of the game, and perhaps their last one of the season.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/photos/headshots/Donahue_Jiggs.gif

JIGGS DONAHUE

cubhater
10-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Look out! Dark Clouds approaching.:tongue:

Madvora
10-10-2006, 09:30 AM
, sparing their supporters of prolonged misery at the hands of a Cubs team that is clearly destined to win it all in 2006.

1906 in this context.

Baby Fisk
10-10-2006, 09:31 AM
1906 in this context.
I am mortified. :redface:

October26
10-10-2006, 09:41 AM
With some dispirited souls starting to seek warmer whereabouts, the Cubs piled it on in the eighth with two more runs for a 7-1 final. Ed Reulbach walked off the field the proud father of a complete game one-hitter for the win. Meanwhile, Doc White delivered a stillborn performance, giving up four runs on four hits in just three miserable innings, with a couple of errors thrown in by his teammates. Mercy!

Great post again, Baby Fisk! Thank you.

Mercy? Was Hawk at that game?

ode to veeck
10-10-2006, 09:49 AM
was this the true origin of corpse ball?

batmanZoSo
10-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Comiskey was TOO CHEAP to sign a real lineup. We're doomed! Doomed I tells ya!

samram
10-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Comiskey was TOO CHEAP to sign a real lineup. We're doomed! Doomed I tells ya!

And they need to expand the pitching staff to six, at least. Owen is a starter, not a reliever. I've been saying it all year!

voodoochile
10-10-2006, 10:53 AM
I am mortified. :redface:

Mrs. Freud, your slip is showing...

Great recap, Mr. Fisk. I have enjoyed the first two immensely. I look forward to the rest of them even though the Sox seem doomed after the first two games. It shall probably be over a decade before they even get another crack and who know how long after that before they manage to win the whole thing. I am sure I will be long dead and buried before it shall occur.

TommyJohn
10-10-2006, 11:52 AM
I don't think they'll get another hit. And what do you expect from a team
that relies only on pitching? We're doomed. I say we swap Rohe and
Tannehill to Detroit for that young Cobb fellow. He's a good 'un and
would solve the hitting woes.

Jjav829
10-10-2006, 11:57 AM
I can't wait to dark cloud it up during the 1919 World Series! I have some big expectations! :bandance:

Excellent work, BF! :gulp:

TornLabrum
10-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Only one problem. The Sox dropped the name White Stockings a good 3.5 years before the 1906 Series.