PDA

View Full Version : Boston columnist tells Sawx fans "quit laughing at Yankees"

Fenway
10-10-2006, 01:58 AM
Red Sox fans have been laughing the past few days. The reality is NYY can still beat Boston over 162

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/otherMLB/view.bg?articleid=161630

and Bob Ryan looks at Steinbrenner

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/10/10/yankees_feeling_spent?mode=PF

ode to veeck
10-10-2006, 09:03 AM
What amazes me is how the YankMes were "so heavily favored" over the Tigers, who finished with a nearly identical record, played in the toughest division in baseball, and lead the majors and the AL almost the entire year. Sure the Tigers manager played off the "YankMes" as heavy favorites to inspire his mighty Kittens, but I read it as a total fabrication of the eastern/NY self-centered press to expect the Tigers had little chance and there's no way the Yankees should have lost.

... and this stupid press coverage continues, covering the Yankees as a "failure". Steinbrennner's an idiot if he fires Torre and Rodriguez. In spite of his previous less than stellar playoff lack of results, would you not want a healthy Frank Thomas in your lineup?!?! I'd take Rodriguez any day.

The one I might be suspicious of is maybe a guy like Chavez, who's got a great glove and a leading batter, except for the fact he hits like crap with runners on (a fact lost on Ozzie when he pitched to Frank twice with 1st open and lost twice when he could have pitched to one of the poorest hitters w/RISP).

Myrtle72
10-10-2006, 09:13 AM
... and this stupid press coverage continues, covering the Yankees as a "failure".

Well, at first I was confused because of course only the Yankees would be SO upset by the fact that they didn't make it out of the first round of the playoffs. But then I realized, isn't every team supposed to want the playoffs just as bad? Aren't we dissapointed in our Sox this season even though they had 90 wins? Wouldn't you be mad if the Sox weren't going to make any changes for next year or acted like they didn't care? Of course, a Yankees dissapointment is going to be significantly more publicized (even though the Sox were the world champs last year...), but I think the concepts are very similar.

Thank you KW and the level headed people on the Sox though for not firing (or talking about firing) Ozzie for not making the playoffs this year. :cool:

ode to veeck
10-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Well, at first I was confused because of course only the Yankees would be SO upset by the fact that they didn't make it out of the first round of the playoffs. But then I realized, isn't every team supposed to want the playoffs just as bad? Aren't we dissapointed in our Sox this season even though they had 90 wins? Wouldn't you be mad if the Sox weren't going to make any changes for next year or acted like they didn't care? Of course, a Yankees dissapointment is going to be significantly more publicized (even though the Sox were the world champs last year...), but I think the concepts are very similar.

Thank you KW and the level headed people on the Sox though for not firing (or talking about firing) Ozzie for not making the playoffs this year. :cool:

What annoys me is the continuing amount of headline level press carried nationally a few days after the Yankees are gone about "the yankees crisis" when I'd much rather read articles about the A's/Tigers or Cards/Mets, both very interesting series. It's like this is the biggest friggin' baseball story when in fact it's a local side line of secondary interest.

Myrtle72
10-10-2006, 09:25 AM
What annoys me is the continuing amount of headline level press carried nationally a few days after the Yankees are gone about "the yankees crisis" when I'd much rather read articles about the the scum laden A's/Tigers or Cards/Mets, both very interesting series. It's like this is the biggest friggin' baseball story when in fact it's a local side line of secondary interest.

Yes, exactly.

And in fact, it's the "biggest friggin' baseball story" for no reason... considering they're talking about different sources saying completely different things about Torre's future. Now, everyone is saying that he may not actually be fired. Really, it's just that the media realized that they needed the Yankees to be somewhere in the news for the playoffs and if they couldn't be playing, they'd have to make something up.

ode to veeck
10-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Yes, exactly.

And in fact, it's the "biggest friggin' baseball story" for no reason... considering they're talking about different sources saying completely different things about Torre's future. Now, everyone is saying that he may not actually be fired. Really, it's just that the media realized that they needed the Yankees to be somewhere in the news for the playoffs and if they couldn't be playing, they'd have to make something up.

Even this morning, this is the only MLB top headline on the main yahoo sports page http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ArQDfoaRo2swksuCqHwIt1Q5nYcB?slug=ap-yankeesfuture&prov=ap&type=lgns

what a bunch of crap!

Fenway
10-10-2006, 10:56 AM
The Yankees generate emotion unlike any other team nationally.

How do you think the Mets feel? This should be their time in NY and yet they still playing second fiddle to the Bronx Zoo.

The one thing we will learn is how much power Brian Cashman really has. He wants to keep Torre but George is George.

A-Rod will be the big post-season story that is a lock. He won't be back as a Yankee. There is simply no way the fanbase will allow that now.

Yes, exactly.

cbotnyse
10-10-2006, 11:13 AM
What annoys me is the continuing amount of headline level press carried nationally a few days after the Yankees are gone about "the yankees crisis" when I'd much rather read articles about the the scum laden A's/Tigers or Cards/Mets, both very interesting series. It's like this is the biggest friggin' baseball story when in fact it's a local side line of secondary interest.dont even get me started. The coverage is sickening. The Yankees lost. GET OVER IT. Talk about the teams that are actually winning and still in it.

This weekend was particularly bad with the second coming of T.O. Someone really needs to tell the national media that nobody cares about T.O. and the Yankees. The coverage is out of hand.

cbotnyse
10-10-2006, 11:15 AM
The Yankees generate emotion unlike any other team nationally. here is the emotion the Yankees generate for me....:puking:

ode to veeck
10-10-2006, 11:23 AM
A-Rod will be the big post-season story that is a lock. He won't be back as a Yankee. There is simply no way the fanbase will allow that now.

My esteem for the YankMe fan base goes down another couple of notches or more on that one. Unless you already have Clutch Joe Crede at 3rd, the human vacuum cleaner, why wouldn't you want Rodriguez at 3rd on your team? He had great numbers in '06, other than the measly 4 games in the ALDS. What a bunch of morons!

ode to veeck
10-10-2006, 11:25 AM
dont even get me started. The coverage is sickening. The Yankees lost. GET OVER IT. Talk about the teams that are actually winning and still in it.

This weekend was particularly bad with the second coming of T.O. Someone really needs to tell the national media that nobody cares about T.O. and the Yankees. The coverage is out of hand.

TO has been the biggest misstory of the entire fall, not just last weekend.

Fenway
10-10-2006, 11:34 AM
My esteem for the YankMe fan base goes down another couple of notches or more on that one. Unless you already have Clutch Joe Crede at 3rd, the human vacuum cleaner, why wouldn't you want Rodriguez at 3rd on your team? He had great numbers in '06, other than the measly 4 games in the ALDS. What a bunch of morons!

right now nyyfans.com is closed to non-members. It has been very entertaining to read

http://forums.nyyfans.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

MarySwiss
10-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Well, I think this just goes to reinforce the concept that Yankee fans don't pay any attention to the regular season; they just assume they'll win out and fixate on the postseason. I think Rich Lindberg first mentioned this idea in Stuck on the Sox.

CaptainBallz
10-10-2006, 11:40 AM

No, they really don't. It's pure media hype. Nobody west of the Appalachians really could give a rat's ass. They're just another baseball team...one that happens to spend a bajillion more than any other team in the league to fail like almost every other team in the league does... but they're just another team. As much as it pains everybody on the east coast to think that their sports world isn't the center of the universe, it's not.

The Eagles/ Dallas game last weekend was the most ridiculous display of over-hyping NOTHING I have ever seen. It was just ridiculous, stupid, and unnecessary. Serenity Now!!

Fenway
10-10-2006, 11:44 AM
No, they really don't. It's pure media hype. Nobody west of the Appalachians gives really could give a rat's ass. They're just another baseball team...one that happens to spend a bajillion more than any other team in the league to fail like almost every other team in the league does... but they're just another team. As much as it pains everybody on the east coast to think that their sports world isn't the center of the universe, it's not.

The Eagles/ Dallas game last weekend was the most ridiculous display of over-hyping NOTHING I have ever seen. It was just ridiculous, stupid, and unnecessary. Serenity Now!!

Why do you think ESPN feeds more Yankees games than any other? People do watch...the ratings indicate that. The only time the nation tuned out the Yankees was the 2000 World Series...nobody wanted an all New York final

cbotnyse
10-10-2006, 11:45 AM
No, they really don't. It's pure media hype. Nobody west of the Appalachians gives really could give a rat's ass. They're just another baseball team...one that happens to spend a bajillion more than any other team in the league to fail like almost every other team in the league does... but they're just another team. As much as it pains everybody on the east coast to think that their sports world isn't the center of the universe, it's not.

The Eagles/ Dallas game last weekend was the most ridiculous display of over-hyping NOTHING I have ever seen. It was just ridiculous, stupid, and unnecessary. Serenity Now!!what he said!

cbotnyse
10-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Why do you think ESPN feeds more Yankees games than any other? People do watch...the ratings indicate that. The only time the nation tuned out the Yankees was the 2000 World Series...nobody wanted an all New York finalI disagree. ESPN should do a much better job of spreading out the coverage. They should be playing alot more division rival games, from any division. Do I really want to see a Yankees- Devil Rays game? no.

Paulwny
10-10-2006, 11:48 AM

How do you think the Mets feel? This should be their time in NY and yet they still playing second fiddle to the Bronx Zoo.

The one thing we will learn is how much power Brian Cashman really has. He wants to keep Torre but George is George.

Of course you know and it was also mentioned on the Mike and the Mad Dog show yesterday that king George will try his hardest not to allow the Mets to be the front page story in the NY papers.

CaptainBallz
10-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Why do you think ESPN feeds more Yankees games than any other? People do watch...the ratings indicate that. The only time the nation tuned out the Yankees was the 2000 World Series...nobody wanted an all New York final

Thus is the nature of hype. There is not a natural, genuine concern for what's happening on the east coast. It's when the east coast is getting 80% of the coverage and that is beamed across the country 24/7, it generates an interest and, due to of lack of alternatives, viewership. Trust me, replace the east coast obsession of the national news outlets with ANYTHING else and you'd see how truly interested people are in the Yank/Sawx/Pats/TO.

I was actually pretty interested in seeing some in depth analysis of the FOS/ Kitties series these last few days, but what did I get?? Endless, ENDLESS crying about the Yanks and TO. It's sad.

doctorlecter
10-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Thus is the nature of hype. There is not a natural, genuine concern for what's happening on the east coast. It's when the east coast is getting 80% of the coverage and that is beamed across the country 24/7, it generates an interest and, due to of lack of alternatives, viewership. Trust me, replace the east coast obsession of the national news outlets with ANYTHING else and you'd see how truly interested people are in the Yank/Sawx/Pats/TO.

I was actually pretty interested in seeing some in depth analysis of the FOS/ Kitties series these last few days, but what did I get?? Endless, ENDLESS crying about the Yanks and TO. It's sad.

ESPN and Fox are convinced that what the public wants to see is whatever they happen to be shoving down our throats at that particular time. They try so hard to get the non-baseball fan interested, they actually end up alienating real fans. They try to push storylines so much, they forget that there are plenty of us who like to watch baseball.

TDog
10-11-2006, 04:35 AM
ESPN and Fox are convinced that what the public wants to see is whatever they happen to be shoving down our throats at that particular time. They try so hard to get the non-baseball fan interested, they actually end up alienating real fans. They try to push storylines so much, they forget that there are plenty of us who like to watch baseball.

Multitudes have pointed out that the last year's World Series had low ratings by World Series standards. I think FOX had a vested interest in seeing the Yankees stay alive as long as possible.

As for the obsession with the Yankees, I'm sure you would have seen more attention paid to the Cubs if they had been eliminated in the first round and the White Sox were advancing to the ALCS. The fact is, I still don't know how the Yankees fell to the Tigers, and I don't even like the Yankees.

SoxFan78
10-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Its the whole chicken vs. the egg argument.

Fox/ESPN defend their coverage of east coast teams by saying, those teams garner the highest ratings.

But the reason they get the highest ratings is because thats ALL THEY SHOW!!!

If im not mistaken, every Red Sox/Yankees game was shown on ESPN, EVERY ONE!! They tell us everytime that this is the biggest rivarly in sports.

But let me ask you this, do you think a White Sox/Twins rivarly could get to that level if the media coverage was the same? Of course it could. Red Sox/Yankees is so big cause the media makes it big, and forces it down our throats.

CaptainBallz
10-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Multitudes have pointed out that the last year's World Series had low ratings by World Series standards. I think FOX had a vested interest in seeing the Yankees stay alive as long as possible.

And that's totally a beast of their own creation. If Fox/ESPN didn't spend half the time they did slighting the Sox and actually provided unbiased coverage of what would be their first championship in 88 flippin' years, the interest would've been there. Instead we get a season of side notes and more gleeful coverage when it looked like they might collapse in the second half. By the time the playoffs come it's Boston/Yanks/Boston/Yanks until both are eliminated and we have to watch games where none of the announcers know anyone's names on the darn teams. Why should somebody in Montana give a rat's about White Sox vs. Houston at that point?? (rhetorical)
Then, when all's said and done, the Sox don't even get a real cover of SI (remember the Pats were playing:rolleyes: ).

The real answer is a new network that isn't basically local east coast sports coverage.

Steelrod
10-11-2006, 09:49 AM
And that's totally a beast of their own creation. If Fox/ESPN didn't spend half the time they did slighting the Sox and actually provided unbiased coverage of what would be their first championship in 88 flippin' years, the interest would've been there. Instead we get a season of side notes and more gleeful coverage when it looked like they might collapse in the second half. By the time the playoffs come it's Boston/Yanks/Boston/Yanks until both are eliminated and we have to watch games where none of the announcers know anyone's names on the darn teams. Why should somebody in Montana give a rat's about White Sox vs. Houston at that point?? (rhetorical)
Then, when all's said and done, the Sox don't even get a real cover of SI (remember the Pats were playing:rolleyes: ).

The real answer is a new network that isn't basically local east coast sports coverage.
Balanced coverage equals better post season numbers. ESPN is a priduct of their own crystal ball gazing.

Paulwny
10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Across the country the number of yankmee fans/haters and red sox fans far outnumber the White Sox and Twins.
Every team wishes more home games against NY, for some teams it's their only sell-outs.

SoxFan78
10-11-2006, 10:21 AM

The next SI cover right after the Sox won the World Series

http://i.timeinc.net/subs2/images/si/sistore/products/2005/1107_mid.JPG

The Sox did get a special edition, but if you check sicovers.com, you will see how many covers the Red Sox got after they won it all.

CaptainBallz
10-11-2006, 10:45 AM
The Sox did get a special edition, but if you check sicovers.com, you will see how many covers the Red Sox got after they won it all.

That would be two consecutive covers in November, one covering the series w/ the Cards (the cover focuses on Boston) and a cover after they won it all, plus a cover in Dec.!! featuring the "Faces of Red Sox Nation".

October '05 featured Konerko's back on a cover and a neutral WS edition. Then it was all football for Nov. & Dec.

TDog
10-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Balanced coverage equals better post season numbers. ESPN is a priduct of their own crystal ball gazing.

I agree. But last year FOX was hyping the best possible outcome from a ratings standpoint instead of laying a foundation for solid ratings with teams people have never seen in the World Series. I imagine this year they are treating the Tigers with more respect -- not because they like the Tigers better than the White Sox, but because they want to do better than last year. There is more tradition at stake here. The possibility of a 1984 World Series rematch is gone, but 1968 and 1973 rematches are possible.

Personally, I don't care if anyone watches this year.