PDA

View Full Version : Hamstring not improving; Thomas doubtful for Sunday

HawkDJ
03-02-2002, 10:33 AM
By Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald:

TUCSON, Ariz. - Heading into spring training, swatting the injury bug ranked extremely high on the White Sox' priority list.

With good reason.

Following a 10-year run of relatively good health, the Sox used the disabled list 14 times last season and their players missed a combined 1,197 games due to injury.

In 2001, the White Sox wound up losing five pitchers - Jim Parque, Antonio Osuna, Lorenzo Barcelo, Kelly Wunsch and Rocky Biddle - to major shoulder surgery. Also, David Wells had a back operation and Cal Eldred and Bill Simas blew out their elbows.

Oh yeah, designated hitter Frank Thomas missed most of the year with a torn right triceps.

"When we're in shape and put everybody out there at the same time, we put out a real good ballclub,'' said manager Jerry Manuel. "I want to make sure everybody's healthy. That's my main concern.''

There were two developments Friday that undoubtedly are a concern to Manuel.

First, Thomas said he is doubtful for Sunday's exhibition game against the Diamondbacks. Thomas exited Wednesday's intrasquad game after "tweaking'' his left hamstring. Two days later, he was disappointed with the healing process.

"I took batting practice and it didn't bother me,'' Thomas said. "But when I jogged on it, I still had a little pulling sensation. It's not urgent for me to play if I'm not 100 percent. The regular season is one thing, but in spring training I'm not going to play hurt.''

While Manuel still expects Thomas to DH Sunday, the feeling is hardly mutual.

"I could make it even worse if I go into a burst,'' Thomas said. "I don't want to do that. I'm not going to force it. I'll try to open it up (today) and see how it feels after that. But something is definitely not right.''

The second development concerned Ray Durham, who was scratched from Friday's starting lineup with a sore right hamstring.

"He ran pretty well this afternoon,'' said Steve Odgers, the White Sox' conditioning coach. "He's just a little sore.''

Durham developed soreness in his hamstrings last spring and the condition flared up throughout the regular season.

Wunsch, who is expected to pitch Sunday, has also been slowed by a hamstring injury this spring. And so has catcher Sandy Alomar Jr.

All of the current injuries pale in comparison to last year's laundry list, but hamstrings are nothing to mess with.

Infielder Jose Valentin was hobbled for most of the final four months of 2001 with a hamstring injury. The more he tried to play through the pain, the worse it got.

"It is a growing concern,'' Manuel said of the rash of hamstring problems. "As a matter of fact, I had a conversation with Odgers and I wondered if we're doing something (wrong).''

Rather than mess around with non-baseball drills like the shuttle run this spring, the White Sox have spent most of their time running bases.

"I think it's normal for them to be a little sore,'' Manuel said. "But just because of the problems we've had in the past, we're hesitant to put anybody out there until they're 100 percent.''

So far, not so good.

RedPinStripes
03-02-2002, 10:46 AM
Well, guess they're not the labrums anymore. They're the Hammys. I'm for blaming Nardi.

HOw does Ray get sore hammys when he trained like hell over the winter? I don't get it. Now all the hamstring problems. At least it's not serious like last year's injuries.

RKMeibalane
03-02-2002, 10:58 AM
Let's just hope that these injuries don't become serious. I don't want a repeat of last season, when the team was missing several key players.

voodoochile
03-02-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Let's just hope that these injuries don't become serious. I don't want a repeat of last season, when the team was missing several key players.

Hammys generally need a couple of weeks off at most to heal. Hey, maybe we should be excited that we are getting injured during the pre-season, not the regular season and the injuries are ones that don't require surgery...

RedPinStripes
03-02-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Hammys generally need a couple of weeks off at most to heal. Hey, maybe we should be excited that we are getting injured during the pre-season, not the regular season and the injuries are ones that don't require surgery...

This is true. As long as they are not all nagging injuries like Valentin had all year just about. Better this then what we had last year.

RKMeibalane
03-02-2002, 03:05 PM
I definitely think that getting these things out of the way early is better than losing guys for the majority of the season, as was the case with Thomas last season. However, when one takes into consideration that he missed so much time because of the injury to his biceps, I hope that Frank is back in the line-up sooner rather than later. I'd like to see him "come of the gate" strong this season, leaving all of those ignorant Cubs fans crying into their beer.

bc2k
03-02-2002, 09:18 PM
Hamstring problems shoud not be happening. You can prevent them if you stretch and get the muscle warm. Labrums and elbows are going to be blown out, but hamstring injuries are caused from plain laziness. I would bet the team does half-a$$ed stretches in the morning and forget about stretching before game time.

Last year in Milwaukee I was able to see the sox players stretch pre-game. It looked liked a high school gym class. A bunch of guys who could care less about stretching. If I am Jerry Manuel, I am making every player take stretching (especially hamstring) seriously. If a player has a history of hammy problems, he should stretch again before he bats in the hole.

DVG
03-02-2002, 10:42 PM
I'm worried about Thomas. I won't come out and make any wild,
hyperventilating predictions about it, but I'm worried that Thomas
will be injury-plagued and suffer through another subpar season.
Prove me wrong. Please.

guillen4life13
03-02-2002, 11:12 PM
it's weird, but my emotions regarding these white sox tend to change frequently. as of now, i've got a really bad feeling about frank. i'd say he should rest up, and as bc2k said, stretch every muscle possible, most importantly the hammy. If he makes it to the regular season, then I don't think i'll have anything to worry about. we shall see.