PDA

View Full Version : Yankees pitcher calls WFAN...(bad move)

Fenway
10-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Go to the WFAN homepage and click the interview with Cory Lidle. He called Mike and the Mad Dog to say he was misquoted about the team not being ready to play.

Mad Dog attacks :tongue:

This is priceless

www.wfan.com

MUsoxfan
10-10-2006, 12:31 AM
He just made his final words as a Yankee:cool:

Sox-o-matic
10-10-2006, 12:42 AM
This is the dumbest player interview I've ever heard. Lidle is a total moron.

Don't people usually formulate an opinion before they speak?

This reminds me of a certain former president questioning the meaning of the word "is." Cory, if you don't know what the word "preparation" means, don't use it.

Myrtle72
10-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Ha. Whoops.

soxinem1
10-10-2006, 08:49 AM
I remember Arthur Rhodes ripping him when he left PHI a couple months ago for being a wise-***.

I remember 60% of the Blue Jays cheering when they non-tenderd him a couple years ago.

I remember OAK literally holding parades celebrating his trade to TOR the year before that.

I remember Ken Williams having a major desire to get this guy.

He's the problem of the NYY now.

Goofballs belong in a zoo, so Lidle has finally found a home.

DaleJRFan
10-10-2006, 10:26 AM
I listened to the first 30 seconds... and had to close it. What a jackass.

samram
10-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Didn't Lidle pop off about the Phillies either right before or after the trade? He has a lot of opinions for a pitcher who defines mediocrity.

chaerulez
10-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Didn't Lidle pop off about the Phillies either right before or after the trade? He has a lot of opinions for a pitcher who defines mediocrity.

Reminds me of Dan Miceli, the moron relief pitcher who critized his manager John Boles during his days with the Marlins, when he had a ERA over 6 at the time.

Paulwny
10-10-2006, 12:36 PM
I saw/heard the interview yesterday afternoon, ya gotta love the Mad Dog, big yankee hater. Lidle came across as a real idiot however, it appears he covered all his bases. In an article by Pete Caldera in The Record ( Hackensack, NJ ), he defended Torre :

" We had more meetings in the last two months than all my other teams put together. He always knows what to say. his job is to keep the players ready, and he did a good job."

johnr1note
10-11-2006, 05:18 PM
No sooner had I finished reading this thread, then I heard the news about Cory Lidle's plane crash in New York.

Bizarre! Is there any speculation that there was a connection between his public humilation yesterday and the crash today? i.e. suicide?

MUsoxfan
10-11-2006, 05:22 PM

Yikes:o::(:

gobears1987
10-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Oy Vey!!!

Lip Man 1
10-11-2006, 05:26 PM
I knew Cory because in 1993 he pitched for the Pocatello Posse in the Pioneer League. He was the only guy off that squad to even sniff the major leagues. To get to where he was especially with his beginnings is a testament to his desire. Ten plus seasons in the big leagues, two one hitters, an 11 strikeout game....not bad for an undrafted free agent released by Minnesota who then signed with the Posse because he had no place else to go.

Nice guy. Very sad news.

I'm doing a story on him for the local newspaper.

Lip

Patrick134
10-11-2006, 05:26 PM

can you give me this weeks lottery numbers ?

caulfield12
10-11-2006, 05:27 PM
No sooner had I finished reading this thread, then I heard the news about Cory Lidle's plane crash in New York.

Bizarre! Is there any speculation that there was a connection between his public humilation yesterday and the crash today? i.e. suicide?

You've GOT to be kidding! Please tell me you are.

MUsoxfan
10-11-2006, 05:32 PM
This argument (that I can't believe they haven't taken down yet) seems so dopey and stupid now knowing what's about to come

veeter
10-11-2006, 05:44 PM

Bizarre! Is there any speculation that there was a connection between his public humilation yesterday and the crash today? i.e. suicide?This statement is bizarre and humiliating. Geesh.

downstairs
10-11-2006, 05:50 PM
This statement is bizarre and humiliating. Geesh.

Its a tad bit much, but I'll defend him a bit. The last time someone flew a small plane into a building, it WAS a suicide.

October26
10-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Lidle's death is very sad news. He was only 34 years old.

Ol' No. 2
10-11-2006, 05:51 PM
He just made his final words as a Yankee:cool:It appears he made his final public comments of any kind.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/manhattan_plane_crash

Britt Burns
10-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Wow, this is terrible. I'll be very interested to hear how this happened...ATC keeps very close tabs on traffic around Manhattan for obvious reasons, and how he strayed into a building is beyond me (I should add that I am a pilot).

CHISOXFAN13
10-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Its a tad bit much, but I'll defend him a bit. The last time someone flew a small plane into a building, it WAS a suicide.

Was that person flying with a flight instructor, too?

It's a ridiculous claim.

soxinem1
10-11-2006, 05:59 PM
The FBI says Lidle was the only one on the plane, the other casualties were from the building.

Chisox353014
10-11-2006, 06:03 PM
It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if it were a suicide, but from the evidence so far it looks like mechanical failure. There was supposedly a mayday call, and witnesses say the plane was flying erratically.

Justagirl
10-11-2006, 06:15 PM
The FBI says Lidle was the only one on the plane, the other casualties were from the building.
I just read that there were 2 people on the plane (both dead) and nobody in the building was injured?

Edit: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=lidleplanecrash&prov=st&type=lgns
:(

cheeses_h_rice
10-11-2006, 06:41 PM
The news said it was Lidle plus one passenger dead. He was on a sight-seeing tour around Manhattan, apparently.

Earlier I had read 3 people in the plane + 1 on the ground dead, so who knows.

SoxEd
10-11-2006, 07:06 PM
This is the dumbest player interview I've ever heard. Lidle is a total moron.

Don't people usually formulate an opinion before they speak?

This reminds me of a certain former president questioning the meaning of the word "is." Cory, if you don't know what the word "preparation" means, don't use it.

[Rant in the style of a Curmudgeonly Spinster, against the excesses of Modern Life]

Did you and I listen to different interviews?
:?:

What I heard was a player calling in to defend himself against the comments being made by a pair of blowhards who were determined to stir up **** and find someone to throw under the bus just because the Yankees didn't win.
Boo-****ing-hoo.

They totally took his comment out of context - or do you also assert that the Sox' former slogan 'Come Ready To Play' is a direct statement that, prior to that season, no team in baseball had ever tried to prepare its players before a game; or that every other baseball team in the history of the world had a lackadaisical attitude to preparation?

Listen to the bit where they pick him up for his statement that he was trying to 'enjoy his day' in NYC when he got texted by a friend who said he should call in to defend himself.
Lidle asks them "oh , so I'm supposed to just go cry in my apartment for the next two weeks, am I?", and they totally cop out.

Throughout the piece, they expect to be allowed to twist his every word to the most negative interpretation possible, and to pick apart his EVERY pronouncement in order to spin it in the worst possible way - but he is not, in any way, allowed to question their BS sqawkings - which are made solely in order to increase their own paychecks.

This is evident in the total lack of passion in the hosts' voices - or, rather, in the absolutely contrived passion present in their voices.
They are Play-acting to win ratings by calumniating players, so that they can start up a media ****storm, and then fill their airtime with gossip about that, rather than doing any actual, you know, research or analysis.

The bull**** attitude of these guys (and their many clones) is the reason that so many sports people just flat-out refuse to talk to the media nowadays.

And, unfortunately, many many unthinking short-attention-span idiots out in radio & TV audiences lap it this contrived 'controversy', increase the jerks' ratings, and the media gets progressively dumber and dumberer as a result.

I do understand that, nowadays, this sort of crap is what their employers pay them to do, but it still pisses me right off.
:angry:

In this interview, they are acting like Jay Mariotti. They are not acting like people who aspire to be referred to as Journalists - which should mean professional reporters/anchors.

Such a term can NOT be applied to guys like these - people without any shred of integrity whatever, who are 'only following orders' in order to increase ratings, and therefore advertising revenue $.

What this style of 'journalism' reminds me of is the playground behaviour of insecure eight year olds - it does NOT call to my mind a professional endeavour to provide the unbiased reporting of facts, and an informed analysis of those facts.

It is no more than lazy name-calling in order to stir up trouble.
A ten year old could do it, and the average fifteen year old schoolgirl would be better at it (subtler, more nuanced, and more effective).

OK, so maybe I lead some kind of weird, old-fashioned, sheltered existence on this side of the Atlantic, with the worst excesses of 'shockjock' Sportsblab radio yet to penetrate most of the British media?

If that is the case, then long may the situation continue!
[/Curmudgeonly Spinster Rant]

<Sigh>
I'm off to bed now, to dream of a happier time when 'integrity' still meant something (and you could leave your front door wide open, walk down to the family-run neighbourhood shops, do a whole week's worth of shopping, and still come home to your non-burgled house with change out of one Cowrie shell :wink:).

HotelWhiteSox
10-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Weird, my boss made a slight mention about hearing about a plane crash in NY and a Yankee pitcher dieing, and after reading this thread/interview a few days ago for some reason his name came to my head first. Then I thought, naa, probably an older guy who used to pitch there, then I put it on ESPNEWS and saw his name.

Very sad, wonder about the details that will follow, just shows with this interview that pro sports aren't the most important things in life, weird thing is I could kind of understand what he was saying in the middle of that interview, just was coming out a bad way. Anyways, RIP

johnnyg83
10-11-2006, 08:38 PM
[Rant in the style of a Curmudgeonly Spinster, against the excesses of Modern Life]

What I heard was a player calling in to defend himself against the comments being made by a pair of blowhards who were determined to stir up **** and find someone to throw under the bus just because the Yankees didn't win.
Boo-****ing-hoo.

They totally took his comment out of context - or do you also assert that the Sox' former slogan 'Come Ready To Play' is a direct statement that, prior to that season, no team in baseball had ever tried to prepare its players before a game; or that every other baseball team in the history of the world had a lackadaisical attitude to preparation?

Listen to the bit where they pick him up for his statement that he was trying to 'enjoy his day' in NYC when he got texted by a friend who said he should call in to defend himself.
Lidle asks them "oh , so I'm supposed to just go cry in my apartment for the next two weeks, am I?", and they totally cop out.

Throughout the piece, they expect to be allowed to twist his every word to the most negative interpretation possible, and to pick apart his EVERY pronouncement in order to spin it in the worst possible way - but he is not, in any way, allowed to question their BS sqawkings - which are made solely in order to increase their own paychecks.

This is evident in the total lack of passion in the hosts' voices - or, rather, in the absolutely contrived passion present in their voices.
They are Play-acting to win ratings by calumniating players, so that they can start up a media ****storm, and then fill their airtime with gossip about that, rather than doing any actual, you know, research or analysis.

The bull**** attitude of these guys (and their many clones) is the reason that so many sports people just flat-out refuse to talk to the media nowadays.

And, unfortunately, many many unthinking short-attention-span idiots out in radio & TV audiences lap it this contrived 'controversy', increase the jerks' ratings, and the media gets progressively dumber and dumberer as a result.

I do understand that, nowadays, this sort of crap is what their employers pay them to do, but it still pisses me right off.

In this interview, they are acting like Jay Mariotti. They are not acting like people who aspire to be referred to as Journalists - which should mean professional reporters/anchors.

Such a term can NOT be applied to guys like these - people without any shred of integrity whatever, who are 'only following orders' in order to increase ratings, and therefore advertising revenue $.

What this style of 'journalism' reminds me of is the playground behaviour of insecure eight year olds - it does NOT call to my mind a professional endeavour to provide the unbiased reporting of facts, and an informed analysis of those facts.

A ten year old could do it, and the average fifteen year old schoolgirl would be better at it (subtler, more nuanced, and more effective).

OK, so maybe I lead some kind of weird, old-fashioned, sheltered existence on this side of the Atlantic, with the worst excesses of 'shockjock' Sportsblab radio yet to penetrate most of the British media?

<Sigh>
I'm off to bed now, to dream of a happier time when 'integrity' still meant something (and you could leave your front door wide open, walk down to the family-run neighbourhood shops, do a whole week's worth of shopping, and still come home to your non-burgled house with change out of one Cowrie shell :wink:).

I agree. I think they badgered the crap out of him. The quotes he gave were relatively innocuous. Saying the Tigers wanted it more, weren't auto pilot (sorry bad pun), etc. He made it pretty clear that it was on the players and not the manager. I understand that preparation is part of the manager's job -- but getting major leaguers to try harder is a crock. Also, in baseball playing and trying harder does not necessarily equate with more succesful results. I've been quoted in major newspapers three times in my life and NOT ONCE did they get verbatim get my "quote" right.

OG4LIFE
10-11-2006, 09:24 PM

:o:

Myrtle72
10-12-2006, 01:22 AM

Um... no, it wasn't.

I've heard lots of reports, but from what I understand it was the result of mechanical failure. He also aparently made some kind of call to some airport about having problems with fuel.

All speculation aside, when looking at the facts of what happened, it really isn't likely that it's a suicide at all. And definately not a suicide over his call to Mike and Mad Dog.

Sox-o-matic
10-12-2006, 01:52 AM

Boo-****ing-hoo.

<Sigh>

I'm not going to read all of that.

Lidle said that the team wasn't prepared. He also said that Torre is a good manager. The team failed, and the primary job of a manager IMO is to get the team prepared.

It's the job of any athlete to be the best ambassador of his organization that he can. In order to do that, athletes usually have to be careful and try to say the right things all of the time. He said the wrong thing and he got roasted for it.

It seems you have something against sports radio, specifically the topics chosen. Well how else are thes guys supposed to fill time? Spend 6 hours going over game recaps and playing the WSI "what do we need to trade for Carl Crawford" game? That **** doesn't sell. Give these guys a break.

The bottom line is if Lidle never would have said anything about preparedness, he never would have been caught in the middle of anything. The sports jocks did their jobs and analyzed his comments in the same way that anyone else in their place would have. The guy made himself sound like a moron when he tried to explain everything and defend both his original statement and his feelings about Torre.

Fenway
10-12-2006, 02:20 AM
In the world of sports radio "Mike and the Mad Dog" have become the gold standard... they are on the air for 5 1/2 hours every day. It is a weird dynamic, WFAN is the Mets flagship yet the show is also simulcast on Yankees owned YES. The 2 hosts can't stand being in the same room with each other but they need each other. They also have power in the NY market. They attack Bug Selig, Selig calls them.....same with Bettman and Stern. They have power.

Glenn Ordway at WEEI in Boston and Angelo Cataldi at WIP in Philadelphia have similar clout. Sadly nobody in Chicago sports radio has it. WSCR tries with Mike North but it is a joke.

The bottom line with the Lidle call was M&MD were representing pissed off Yankees fans who were angry when the team vanished in Detroit. I give Cory credit for caring enough to call in when everybody else in Yankees land was hiding in a cave. He came across as overmatched but most do when Mad Dog attacks.

DSpivack
10-12-2006, 02:47 AM

Lidle said that the team wasn't prepared. He also said that Torre is a good manager. The team failed, and the primary job of a manager IMO is to get the team prepared.

It's the job of any athlete to be the best ambassador of his organization that he can. In order to do that, athletes usually have to be careful and try to say the right things all of the time. He said the wrong thing and he got roasted for it.

It seems you have something against sports radio, specifically the topics chosen. Well how else are thes guys supposed to fill time? Spend 6 hours going over game recaps and playing the WSI "what do we need to trade for Carl Crawford" game? That **** doesn't sell. Give these guys a break.

The bottom line is if Lidle never would have said anything about preparedness, he never would have been caught in the middle of anything. The sports jocks did their jobs and analyzed his comments in the same way that anyone else in their place would have. The guy made himself sound like a moron when he tried to explain everything and defend both his original statement and his feelings about Torre.

Meh, I think the Yankees were completely overmatched pitching-wise vs. Detroit. A starting pitcher, who they acquired to help very late in the season, isn't going to say, "You know, we just didn't have the talent." The Tigers may have been more prepared, too, which wouldn't surprise me, nor would it be that much of a knock on the Yankees or Joe Torre; it just says that Detroit wanted it more than New York did.

Paulwny
10-12-2006, 01:20 PM
In the world of sports radio "Mike and the Mad Dog" have become the gold standard... they are on the air for 5 1/2 hours every day. It is a weird dynamic, WFAN is the Mets flagship yet the show is also simulcast on Yankees owned YES. The 2 hosts can't stand being in the same room with each other but they need each other. They also have power in the NY market. They attack Bug Selig, Selig calls them.....same with Bettman and Stern. They have power.

Glenn Ordway at WEEI in Boston and Angelo Cataldi at WIP in Philadelphia have similar clout. Sadly nobody in Chicago sports radio has it. WSCR tries with Mike North but it is a joke.

The bottom line with the Lidle call was M&MD were representing pissed off Yankees fans who were angry when the team vanished in Detroit. I give Cory credit for caring enough to call in when everybody else in Yankees land was hiding in a cave. He came across as overmatched but most do when Mad Dog attacks.

As you stated WFAN is the flag ship station of the Mets, Mad Dog , for ~ 10 min was all over the Mets front office. They were brosdcasting from Shea and claimed that all reports, I assume weather, stated that the game would be rained out. Mad Dog wanted to know ~ why the Mets were waiting to call the game, were they just waiting for the last possible moment so that they could continue to collect $26 from all the vehicles entering the parking lots.

Fenway
10-12-2006, 01:39 PM
As you stated WFAN is the flag ship station of the Mets, Mad Dog , for ~ 10 min was all over the Mets front office. They were brosdcasting from Shea and claimed that all reports, I assume weather, stated that the game would be rained out. Mad Dog wanted to know ~ why the Mets were waiting to call the game, were they just waiting for the last possible moment so that they could continue to collect $26 from all the vehicles entering the parking lots.

Mad Dog looks back at the interview

Off the air yesterday, standing at a Shea Stadium bar while talking over a cell phone, Russo recounted these moments. His voice was questioningly sad.

"Do I wish right this second I had a better relationship with Cory Lidle? Yeah, I absolutely do," Russo said. "(But) you got to do what you got to do. I don't know what to tell you. You can make the argument that I look like a heel....I've been ripping him for five or six months. Does that make me a bad guy? I'll let others evaluate that."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/story/460963p-387811c.html

chaerulez
10-12-2006, 01:48 PM

Then why bother responding to SoxEd in the first place? You made a post, he disagreed with you, so you aren't going to read his points but just throw out a response that doesn't really make sense. There's nothing wrong with saying your team wasn't prepared. Especially how the Yankees looked in the ALDS. The problem was they tried to transfer that comment to mean that he was taking a shot at Torre. Lidle called into say he doesn't have a problem with Torre. He did look mismatched going against Mad Dog, as Lidle's job isn't to do interviews and part of Mad Dog's is. Just because a player says a team isn't prepared you can't just transfer that over to him saying the manager didn't do his job. That's called taking words out of context.

And I'm glad Chicago sports radio doesn't have the power as fenway mentioned it has in cities like New York, Boston and Philly. While there are a number of decent sports radio hosts, a lot of them are fools. Does anyone really want Mike North to hold a lot of clout in the city?

SoxEd
10-17-2006, 07:06 PM

Because you are aware that you cannot refute my points perhaps?

You'll find this post even longer, sorry.

I understand the part about the athlete needing to be a good ambassador - where I disagree with you is in my opinion of the radio guys' attack on him.
They were NOT calling him out for a comment he did make - they were twisting his comments in order to try to say that he was blaming Torre for the team's defeat - which he was NOT.
Which is, of course, why he called in to their show - to point out their error, and to thus show that there were no holes/disagreements within the organisation.
Which is the sort of thing you'd expect an Ambassador to do when his organisation was being calumniated, no?

They, of course, proceeded to continue to pervert everything he said, which is why I went off on one about the way the show works.

My criticism is for the way the radio guys totally twist out of context everything he said, solely in the attempt to stir up some 'controversy' so that they can talk about that to fill their airtime, rather than having to do any actual work i.e. meaningful analysis.

It seems you have something against sports radio, specifically the topics chosen.

My problem is with radio/tv/newspaper 'personalities' using their platforms to manufacture 'controversy', so that they can then 'discuss the burning issue of the controversy', instead of providing some intelligent analysis of the sports that they cover.
(vide Jay Marriotti.)

Over here, only ONE of our National sportsblab radio stations is starting to do this. The others do not (yet) stoop to this level of amateurism.

If I want to listen to BS, I can go in to any Bar and talk to drunks.

If a media outlet (please note that I'm blaming the Companies for asking the 'journalists' to do this, and not just the 'journalists' themsleves) wants me to consume their output on a conistent basis, then I expect their 'informed professionals' to provide more insight than I can get in the average Grade School playground.

Well how else are thes guys supposed to fill time? Spend 6 hours going over game recaps and playing the WSI "what do we need to trade for Carl Crawford" game? That **** doesn't sell. Give these guys a break.

'These guys' are supposed to be able to fill their allotted airtime with material that will command my attention, so that their bosses can sell advertising slots, and thereby generate a profit for their shareholders.

If the slot is too big to provide a high quality of product all the way through, then I will not listen to it for any length of time.
The fact that it apparently is too big for the production of a consistently high-quality show is a damning indictment of either the Station, or of its listeners.

I reiterate that I understand that the reason that lazy shows like this one exist is that it is much cheaper (and therefore more profitable) for the network/newspaper to produce a product wherein their employees artificially contrive some controversy, and then 'cover' that, than it is for the network/newspaper to put out a product wherein a team of Reporters research a story thoroughly and then have two or more studio hosts providing cogent and informed analysis of those reports.

I mean, that would be, like, hard work, or something....

It is also much easier for the hosts to use their mass media platform to artficially stir up BS than it is for them to provide insightful analysis of actual events.

The bottom line is if Lidle never would have said anything about preparedness, he never would have been caught in the middle of anything.

And, if you read my first post, you'll see that I anticipated this line of argument from anyone seeking to defend the show.

If you genuinely believe that Lidle was saying that NYY 'weren't prepared', then you'll also have to admit to believing that, prior to the Sox' 'Come Ready To Play' ad campaign, that no previous team had ever prepared their players 'properly'.

I put it to you that that concept is significantly lacking in credibility - and yet it is precisely that deliberate misinterpretation of the meaning of the word 'prepared' on which the whole of the hosts' attack on Lidle hangs.

They claim that his statement "Detroit were more prepared/ready to play than us" means he was criticising the way Joe Torre prepared the Yankees.

I call 'bull****' on that.

The sports jocks did their jobs and analyzed his comments in the same way that anyone else in their place would have. The guy made himself sound like a moron when he tried to explain everything and defend both his original statement and his feelings about Torre.

Like I have said, I understand that the two hosts were 'only following orders', but this does NOT mean that what they were doing was actual journalism, let alone providing insightful analysis.
Which is what I expect from well-paid professionals working in the mass media.

i.e. I expect well-paid media professionals to provide me with a level of insight that I can not get from just 'anyone else in their place'.

What they were doing was trying to stir up some BS in order to fill their airtime.

You evidently find this kind of lazy by-the-numbers 'Sports Entertainment Product' entertaining, I do not.

Which is fine, and is the reason that different networks can co-exist in the same Markets - because they are chasing audiences with differing tastes.
It is one of the differences between a free country and a dictatorship.

I just dislike the easy, un-considered approach to mass media, because I feel that it dumbs-down the whole country, and makes our whole culture poorer, and more venal, as a result.

Lastly, I did not intend my post as a direct attack on you - and I had hoped that the brackets I placed around it, along with the post-script that I placed after it, would indicate to most readers that I realised that I was, in effect, merely bemoaning the state of Modern Life, in much the same way that a superannuated old warhorse might, and thus that my rantings on the subject were liable to come across as the stupid grumblings of a bitter old man.

Pax?

MUsoxfan
10-17-2006, 07:22 PM
:o:

Way to come prepared, SoxEd!:cool: Sox-o-matic seems to be creating some international hostility