PDA

View Full Version : Trade Ozuna for Bullpen Usage?

Cuck_The_Fubs
10-09-2006, 07:29 PM
I came to pondering about a scenerio: What if we traded Pablo Ozuna for 1-2 decent arms in the bullpen? It wouldnt be the worst idea, only because sweeney seems to show some promise. Also, with a batting average of 328. with about 200 or so at bats, hes pretty good, nonetheless.

If No, why?

If yes, what face value do u think Pablo can have?

gbergman
10-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Being a backup, and looking at his career I don't think we could get a decent enough arm that would be worth trading him for.

mjmcend
10-09-2006, 07:32 PM
I came to pondering about a scenerio: What if we traded Pablo Ozuna for 1-2 decent arms in the bullpen? It wouldnt be the worst idea, only because sweeney seems to show some promise. Also, with a batting average of 328. with about 200 or so at bats, hes pretty good, nonetheless.

If No, why?

If yes, what face value do u think Pablo can have?

Not significantly more in trade than I can get for my lunch I brought to work today but forgot to refridgerate.

Rockman218
10-09-2006, 07:34 PM
As much as i would love to have pablo batting leadoff, we do need some bullpen help. But honestly i dont see it happening because he had that thing with his hamstring. Even though he's gonna be a great player, i think he has to prove himself for another year before anybody will trade good relief for him.

Cuck_The_Fubs
Could it be possible that pablo is having a breakout season?

hi im skot
Shouldn't all of these trade ideas go in "What's the score"?

:dunno:

Cuck_The_Fubs
10-09-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm new at WSI. Kinda lost in this forum:(:

Jjav829
10-09-2006, 07:39 PM
As much as i would love to have pablo batting leadoff, we do need some bullpen help. But honestly i dont see it happening because he had that thing with his hamstring. Even though he's gonna be a great player, i think he has to prove himself for another year before anybody will trade good relief for him.

Pablo Ozuna is going to be a great player? :?: He's 32.

mjmcend
10-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Could it be possible that pablo is having a breakout season?

He is 32. So the short answer is no.

Cuck_The_Fubs
10-09-2006, 07:42 PM
JD had a career high season.......

buehrle4cy05
10-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Ozuna is a great bench player and a marginal starter. Any team that would accept him for a top bullpen arm would be foolish.

AnkleSox
10-09-2006, 07:44 PM
JD has been an established star right fielder, however.

Chips
10-09-2006, 07:45 PM

:rolling:

Comparing JD to Pablo is like comparing Joe Montana to Kyle Orton.

Cuck_The_Fubs
10-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Well, i guess im wrong, but what if pablo puts up the same numbers next year as he did this year? Would he be worth more than he previously once was?:?:

mjmcend
10-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Well, i guess im wrong, but what if pablo puts up the same numbers next year as he did this year? Would he be worth more than he previously once was?:?:

Sure, but it still won't be worth much unless he does it for 500 ABs against both righties and lefties.

shoelessshaun27!
10-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Nope hes a great bench and back up.

Chips
10-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Nope hes a great bench and back up.

No team in their right mind would trade quality bullpen pitching for Pablo Ozuna, I just can't see it.

And if some team were foolish enough to do it, KW would and should make the deal in a second. We need a bullpen a lot more than a bench guy who plays sporadically.

delben91
10-09-2006, 09:05 PM
No team in their right mind would trade quality bullpen pitching for Pablo Ozuna, I just can't see it.

And if some team were foolish enough to do it, KW would and should make the deal in a second. We need a bullpen a lot more than a bench guy who plays sporadically.

If there's a team out there willing to do it, KW will find them.

I don't think there's such a team though. Unless we're talking another trade of the Borchard/Thornton deal where both teams are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

Chips
10-09-2006, 09:08 PM
If there's a team out there willing to do it, KW will find them.

I don't think there's such a team though. Unless we're talking another trade of the Borchard/Thornton deal where both teams are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

If Pablo is the key to getting bullpen help, pull the trigger.

buehrle4cy05
10-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Actually, instead of trading Ozuna for bullpen help, let's just move him to the bullpen!

Oh wait, already been proposed:
One of the best/worst threads in WSI history (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68269&highlight=Ozzie+refuses+pitch+Ozuna)

The policies professed herein are indeed troubling and I RESPECT THE HELL out of “Minnie Me” (if that iz his real Name) for taking TIME & EFFORT to spell out some Things, HOWEVER, it grates upon my brain nerves that sumbody could Rilly expect such? And gain? Take the wheels off your lunchbox Braino and let’s all call a dog. This is the major leagues so get it how you live and let’s fight tomorrow. Go sox:)

:rolling: It never gets old.

Beer Can Chicken
10-09-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't think Ozuna by himself can bring us significant bullpen help. Maybe if he was packaged with something.
I definitely think one of Ozuna, Mack, Cintron has to go. IMO, in a weird way, having too many good utility players partially led to our demise b/c Ozzie felt he had to play them all the time. I'd say we probably need Ozuna and his speed more then the other 2.

23Ventura
10-09-2006, 09:54 PM
We'd have to give up more than just Ozuna to get anything decent in return. I'd like to keep Pablo, but if the Sox could really improve the bullpen with a trade, and the other team really wanted Pablo included in the deal, we'd have to make that deal.

FielderJones
10-09-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm new at WSI. Kinda lost in this forum

I'm sure this guy (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=3424) appreciates that.

jenn2080
10-09-2006, 10:06 PM

Pablo and JD shouldn't even be used in the same sentence as a comparision. I like Pablo and he is a great bench player but we would not get much for him. I say keep him.

TDog
10-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Relievers that command a high price may not be worth it. Last off-season, the Sox might have received some talent for Politte and Cotts.

The problem is, this off-season, the Sox could overspend on relievers who have peaked.

thomas35forever
10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
We need his speed. Any more questions?

DaleJRFan
10-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Isn't Pablo Ozuna a free agent anyway?? We can't trade him if he isn't under contract.

the gooch
10-10-2006, 08:44 AM
I would rather trade Mackowiak and his $2.75M salary for whatever we can get. there are teams that could see him as a starter again (NL) and I would rather get a different option for a 4th outfielder.

There is value for him elsewhere, and there is no good fit for him on this team.

Sox-o-matic
10-10-2006, 11:50 AM
You can never put it past the great KW.

Just last year alone he dumped Damaso Marte, Jeff Bajenaru, and Joe Borchard for Rob Mackowiak, Alex Cintron, and Matt Thornton.

Just watch Kenny pull off something like Pablo to KC for Ambiorix Burgos, and as soon as Burgos gets here he finds the strike zone and becomes a dominant arm out of the bullpen.

I only wish KW would have gotten in on Oliver Perez last year. He probably could have talked Pitt into taking Ross Gload (and Ross would probably put up better numbers than Xavier Nady, too).

mjmcend
10-10-2006, 01:01 PM
You can never put it past the great KW.

Just last year alone he dumped Damaso Marte, Jeff Bajenaru, and Joe Borchard for Rob Mackowiak, Alex Cintron, and Matt Thornton.

Just watch Kenny pull off something like Pablo to KC for Ambiorix Burgos, and as soon as Burgos gets here he finds the strike zone and becomes a dominant arm out of the bullpen.

I only wish KW would have gotten in on Oliver Perez last year. He probably could have talked Pitt into taking Ross Gload (and Ross would probably put up better numbers than Xavier Nady, too).

Pablo's situation is nothing like these three trades. Marte had been a very good major leaugue reliver who fell on hard times, and the Pirates didn't want to pay Mackowiak 2 million to be a super utility player. Bajenaru was a prospect (if not a highly regarded one) and Cintron had no place on the Dbacks espically with their stable of prospects. And Borchard was a failed first round draft pick, same as Thornton coming into last year. We caught lightning in the bottle with that one (or you could contribute it to good coaching), but it just as easily could have backfired. And who knows Thornton could pull a Cotts circa 2006 next year, he has no track record of success same as Cotts.

Ozuna is a 32 year old backup in the role of Cintron or Mackowaik. If he is traded for anything it will be for something similar to what we gave up for those two, aka nothing much.

Tragg
10-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Ozuna has little trade value.
But when you are talking about trading utility ballplayers for career middle relievers, well then....that would be a match. Middle relievers are there for a reason or they are young pitchers and won't be there long if they show anything (nor will they be traded).
We got Rob M for a good relief pitcher, but who appeared to be on a downhill slide. WE could probably get a career middle reliever for one of our utility ballplayers like Ozuna.
And then pray that the middle reliever has a decent year.