PDA

View Full Version : Will anyone be happy for Maggs if Tigers win the World Series?

tony1972
10-09-2006, 05:52 PM
I know I will. Even though he left on bad terms he was still one of my favorite players when he was on the White Sox. Also, Ozzie was kind of a jerk to him in the press last year.

I am sad the Sox didn't make it..but how can you not root for the Tigers and their fans this year? They remind me of the Sox and their fans last year...

I guess because Detoit is always put down and the butt of jokes much like the Southside so I am happy for Detroit and their fans.....

JB98
10-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Maggs is dead to me. I don't care.

Scottzilla
10-09-2006, 05:55 PM
i guess i didnt have the same kinda love for mags as frank. they both left on bad terms but id like to see frank win and not mags.

TheDarkGundam
10-09-2006, 05:55 PM
I'll tell you how I can't root for the Tiggers. I simply don't like them. I rarely ever saw Tiger hats at work, this summer I saw tons every single day. All of a sudden their fans are all "look, my team is winning!".
Yeah, they're a lot like the Sox. Does that mean I have to like them? No.
Also, I won't cheer for Maggs until he cuts that nightmare of a hairdo he has.

23Ventura
10-09-2006, 05:56 PM
I'd rather see Frank win it than Maggs, but I'd be happy for either one of them.

Myrtle72
10-09-2006, 06:04 PM
I am happy for the Tigers and for other players on the Tigers, but not really Maggs. I don't really care about him, to be honest.

:dunno:

Scottzilla
10-09-2006, 06:07 PM
http://www.welcomeccs.nl/Assets/images/Klantenlogos/Quaker.jpg

whats wrong with mags' hair?

jamokes
10-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Yes, I'd be happy for Mags and the whole Tigers' team. I would have loved to have been in the Tiger clubhouse when Leyland ripped the team early on.

Whatever he said, it got through to them!

soxchick20
10-09-2006, 06:10 PM
I am happy for the Tigers and for other players on the Tigers, but not really Maggs. I don't really care about him, to be honest.

:dunno:

yep, feel the same way. Nobody on the tigers bothers me except Magglio. For some reason, I just can't stand the guy. Is it the hair? IDK.

Frank, on the other hand, I wish him all the best. He may have left on bad terms, but I still think he's a great player and I wouldn't mind seeing him win with the A's.

Beer Can Chicken
10-09-2006, 06:14 PM
I'll be happy for him. The way I see it he was just the victim of a PR battle between KW and Boras.

Jerko
10-09-2006, 06:15 PM
I don't know. I ran into Maggs on his bobblehead night a few years back, and he signed one for my boss' kid. Seemed like a nice enough guy.

spiffie
10-09-2006, 06:21 PM
My thoughts on Magglio (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1357304&postcount=296)

Of course its Ordonez. Of course its ****ing Ordonez driving the last nail in. **** him and his stupid ****ing mullet, his ****ing Austrian doctors, his ****ing agent, his ****ing team, and everything about that ****ing piece of ****.

And later on that game: (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1357390&postcount=360)
**** Ordonez again. He's never going to get a ring with Detroit because his big-ass contract will take up too much payroll, so he'll be a ****ing loser with a bad haircut and a gimpy knee for the rest of his useless ****ing life.

I stand by all of this.

sox1970
10-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Maggs is dead to me. I don't care.

Same here. I'm rooting for the Tigers because Detroit is a good baseball town, and it's been a long time since they've won. He just another player on their team. Same with Frank and the A's. I respect what they did in a White Sox uniform, but I don't care that they're gone. 10/26/05 cleaned the slate for me.

fusillirob1983
10-09-2006, 06:39 PM
I'll be happy for the Tigers except Magglio.

nug0hs
10-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I'll tell you how I can't root for the Tiggers. I simply don't like them. I rarely ever saw Tiger hats at work, this summer I saw tons every single day. All of a sudden their fans are all "look, my team is winning!".
Yeah, they're a lot like the Sox. Does that mean I have to like them? No.
Also, I won't cheer for Maggs until he cuts that nightmare of a hairdo he has.

Hahahaha....try living in Michigan. MUCH worse over here.

cheeses_h_rice
10-09-2006, 06:43 PM
A small part of me would be happy for Maggs. He was my favorite White Sox player circa 1999-2001, after all, back before he developed the big ego and the Magglio clothing line.

But still, I am rooting for the Big Hurt and those Oakland Athletics to advance to the World Series. There are too many individual Tigers players I have animus towards -- Joel ****ing Zumaya, Kenny ****ing Rogers, Candy Apple Head Rodriguez, etc.

WLL1855
10-09-2006, 06:49 PM
No. Next question.

batmanZoSo
10-09-2006, 06:49 PM
My thoughts on Magglio (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1357304&postcount=296)

And later on that game: (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1357390&postcount=360)

I stand by all of this.

Don't be diplomatic now, pick a side and stick to it. :D:

1951Campbell
10-09-2006, 07:00 PM
No. PR battle between KW and Boras my ass. Say what you want about Frank, but when he was injured, it was out in the open and there was no wagon-circling bull****.

I'll be going for Oakland. Immature posturing here at WSI aside, it's not Frank's fault that Billy Beane wrote a dumb book with a dumb theory that created millions of dumb followers, and it's not his fault some of said followers post here from time to time. Frank plays baseball, he's not a literary critic or a GM.

I'm just sayin'.

23Ventura
10-09-2006, 07:14 PM

I stand by all of this.
This reminds me of what Ozzie had to say about Maggs before the '05 season.

paciorek1983
10-09-2006, 07:20 PM
No, I won't be happy for Maggs. And I can't root for the Tigers. I only rooted for them to beat the Yankees. I just want the Cards to win the whole thing.

gbergman
10-09-2006, 07:34 PM
No!!! I will not be happy for him.

TDog
10-09-2006, 07:56 PM
No.

rdwj
10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Frank WANTED to stay - he felt insulted when he was forced out. I respect that. I may not like all the things he's done or said, but there is no doubt that he wanted to wear black and silver his whole career.

Maggs was an ass that played the good guy, then did a cash grab. I can't stand him

Kub_Killer_15
10-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Ohhh eee Ohhh MAGGGGGGLIO!! Hell No!!

Oblong
10-09-2006, 08:16 PM
I was going to ask this same question myself.

What exactly were the details of his leaving? Did they agree to a deal then back out after he got hurt? Was no offer ever made?

I thought there was no chance Dombrowski would sign him, especially to that kind of deal. It's still a bad deal. It's a 5 year deal but 2 more years kick in if he gets enough plate appearacnes in years 4 and 5 combined, or 5 by itself. So you almost have to root for him to be injured or bad so he doesn't get that to kick in. It's Giambi-esque. Paying him $17 million in 2011? He'll be 37.

Tiger fans don't really hear a peep out of him. He's always come across to me as a shy quiet guy. They say he's low key and has the same emotions whether he goes 4-4 or 0-4.

Grzegorz
10-09-2006, 08:34 PM
I'll be happy for the Dave Dombrowski & Tigers organization.

Go Tigers!

shoelessshaun27!
10-09-2006, 08:48 PM
No i don't like him. i went the Cards to win. Not because the cubs hate them. I like Albert and I went to the Cardinals new stadium. So i guess i like them a little bit, But I do not like them as much as the Sox, so don't worry.

buehrle4cy05
10-09-2006, 09:16 PM
The way Dye has played the past 2 years has softened me on Maggs. Yes, I think he's a giant asshat and all, but think about it. If he wasn't such an *******, he would have signed that 5 year, $70 million contract offered to him before 2004 and we'd be stuck with him and not have Dye.

Gregory Pratt
10-09-2006, 09:18 PM
No. I hope he loses, and I hope he chokes in a big moment. **** Ordonez!

thomas35forever
10-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Consider this thread:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66738&highlight=maggs+world+series

How hilarious it would be if Frank had the series-winning hit go over Maggs' head or if he dropped it!

Myrtle72
10-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Consider this thread:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66738&highlight=maggs+world+series

How hilarious it would be if Frank had the series-winning hit go over Maggs' head or if he dropped it!

Well, if you're a fan of Frank or not a fan of Maggs, then yeah, that would be funny.

areilly
10-09-2006, 11:07 PM
I'm too old to root for a player. So is anyone else over the age of, oh, we'll say 19.

FedEx227
10-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Does 19 on the button count?!

I'm past my half birthday...

CLR01
10-09-2006, 11:21 PM
I know I will. Even though he left on bad terms he was still one of my favorite players when he was on the White Sox. Also, Ozzie was kind of a jerk to him in the press last year.

I am sad the Sox didn't make it..but how can you not root for the Tigers and their fans this year? They remind me of the Sox and their fans last year...

I guess because Detoit is always put down and the butt of jokes much like the Southside so I am happy for Detroit and their fans.....

Hell no. If the kittens do happen to win I hope someone drops the trophy on him him and then pins him down and sprays champagne in his eyes. If I had to take a guess it will be a roid raging Kenny Rogers after he sees Maggs with his camera pointed at him.

Same here. I'm rooting for the Tigers because Detroit is a good baseball town, and it's been a long time since they've won.

Screw that. Neither have the Cubs but I am not going to be cheering for them to do it next year. Its has been a while since any of the remaining teams won it with Oakland being the last in '89.

gobears1987
10-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Screw Maggs and his agent too.

davenicholson
10-10-2006, 07:30 AM
No.

soxinem1
10-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Frank didn't bring Boras in as his agent to complicate things when contract negotiaions were already tense.

Maggs is friendly to fans, doesn't talk a lot, handled the 'Ozzie Blasting Him Episode' well, and is now an ex-White Sox.

IIRC, weren't fans and press alike ripping him and Ilyich just a few weeks ago for being an overpayed, underproducing DH?

As a baseball fan I am glad the sport is revived in DET, but Maggs had little to do with it, it was their pitching that was key.

I'd rather see Frank win with OAK just so he could get a ring as a player and not a bystander.

October26
10-10-2006, 08:08 AM
The way Dye has played the past 2 years has softened me on Maggs. Yes, I think he's a giant asshat and all, but think about it. If he wasn't such an *******, he would have signed that 5 year, $70 million contract offered to him before 2004 and we'd be stuck with him and not have Dye.

Excellent point. I'm really glad we got Jermaine Dye, so the fact that Magglio left was a good thing in my mind.

Right now, I am indifferent on whether I want Frank or Maggs to go to the World Series. Baseball doesn't seem that important to me this year. Last year, I ate, slept (barely) and breathed White Sox baseball the entire month of October.

Palehose Pete
10-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Meh. Maggs whined about being unable to watch the WS last year because it was too painful to watch his former team win just a year after he left to sign up for big $$$ with the Tigers. I'll be happy for the Tigers for the reasons others have stated in this thread, but not for Maggs.

CPditka
10-10-2006, 08:54 AM
I'd be happy a good franchise (my second favorite due to family commitments) won the World Series. The only way Id be happy for Maggs is if he cut his mullet. Not so Rico Suave.

ode to veeck
10-10-2006, 09:06 AM
The only way I'd be happy for Maggs is if he cut his mullet.

LMAO

post of the week material

ode to veeck
10-10-2006, 09:16 AM
The only reason this thread is an interesting question is because of all the stupid Sox fans who (still) dislike Frank. It's really no contest, as Frank's arguably the best Sox hitter and even considerable as greatest right handed hitter of all time, and one of the nicest guys around. Yesterday, I got some more great personal Frank stories from the A's diamond section ticket holder that sold me a couple of playoff seats for this week and who spent a fair bit of time talking to Frank throughout the season.

On the other hand, Maggs, who was always a quiet but personable guy off the field and a steady all-star on, was just bizarre in the whole situation with his knee, e.g. not allowing Sox or other docs to examine him. It seemed at the time, the Tigers contract with him (under the circumstances) was a possible brain fart, yet it did pan out for Maggs and the Kittens in the long run (they needed his and other timely hitting this year to go along with their pitching).

SoxFan78
10-10-2006, 09:25 AM
HELL NO!!! Maggs can stick that ring where the sun dont shine if he wins one. I could care less if him or those Tigers get a ring.

It doesnt matter, they arent gonna get past the Oakland Franklethics!

areilly
10-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Yesterday, I got some more great personal Frank stories from the the scum laden A's diamond section ticket holder that sold me a couple of playoff seats for this week and who spent a fair bit of time talking to Frank throughout the season.

Frank has been in Oakland for one season.

Frank was in Chicago for sixteen.

Which era, and associated stories (media or personal anecdote), is more representative?

Maybe getting run out of town humbled him, but I have never heard of anyone - anyone - having a positive Frank encounter, experience, run-in, moment at a social function or even casual glance. Ever.

I want Mags back
10-10-2006, 12:12 PM
**** No

KMKsuburbannoise
10-10-2006, 12:52 PM
I will be happy for Frank when the A's win

joebro25
10-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Screw Maggs, the guy wouldn't take 12mil a season from the sox when he had a gimpy leg. So no, I do not want him to win a ring, Go Big Frank.

spiffie
10-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Frank has been in Oakland for one season.

Frank was in Chicago for sixteen.

Which era, and associated stories (media or personal anecdote), is more representative?

Maybe getting run out of town humbled him, but I have never heard of anyone - anyone - having a positive Frank encounter, experience, run-in, moment at a social function or even casual glance. Ever.
I met Frank at a Best Buy back in the late 90's. He was very pleasant then.

Scottzilla
10-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Frank signed my program for me after a game in 04 and he signed one for everyone waiting. there were other players who dont have bad reputations who just sped out of the parking lot.

doctorlecter
10-10-2006, 06:26 PM
"Who the **** is Magglio Ordonez?"

BiggestFan14
10-10-2006, 06:30 PM
I don't think they will win, but if they do I suppose I will be mildly happy for him.

ode to veeck
10-11-2006, 09:07 AM
only if he gets a haircut

Oakland fans were jumping on his hair as he came to bat in the 9th last night, amusing

bafiarocks03
10-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Me!!

But they won't...Because the A's WILL!!! =D

PennStater98r
10-11-2006, 05:44 PM
No

RadioheadRocks
10-11-2006, 06:47 PM
I'll just tell him "Gee your hair smells terrific!" :D:

mrs. hendu
10-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Maggs is the reason I'm not sure if I should pull for the Tigers in the postseason. He used to be my favorite player, but he burned bridges.

D. TODD
10-12-2006, 02:06 PM
I would be happy for Maggs. The guy made a business decision after a serious injury. It sucked for the Sox, because they had to give an arbitration offer before anybody else did, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Maggs gave us plenty of good years, and I'll be happy for him if he gets a ring. I'd rather see Frank get his second ring though.:cool:

RKMeibalane
10-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Who is Maggs?

Grzegorz
10-12-2006, 08:11 PM
I met Frank at a Best Buy back in the late 90's. He was very pleasant then.

I bet he was getting paid... :D:

ewokpelts
10-12-2006, 08:15 PM
no

Brian26
10-12-2006, 09:14 PM
I know I will.

Let's be honest. These players will make more money playing ball for a few years than most of us will ever see in our lifetime. I could give a rat's ass if Mags "gets a ring" or not. If the Tigers win it, I'll be happy for the true fans of that team that stuck by them through the lean years. I'll respect Leyland for coming in and doing a good job with a young team. I could care less about Mags.

kevin57
10-14-2006, 01:49 PM
I won't be happy for Mags. His departure from the Sox left a real bad taste in my mouth. I am rooting for the Tigers, though.

I can't stand the Twins: their players, fans or "stadium." And the Yankees, well, nothing more need be said.

On a very personal note, too, I have a friend in Detroit (a semi-pro umpire) who has always had the Sox as his second favorite team. He was solidly Sox last year. I've got to return the favor now.

WSox597
10-15-2006, 07:21 AM
I'm glad for the Tigers and Magglio. I always liked Maggs when he was here, and hated to see him go.

Jermaine is an upgrade, though, to be honest. Still it was good to see him hit the game winner. It's good to see a California team take it on the chin, especially Oakland with their insufferable fans and GM.

And the pennant comes through the AL Central again. It would be good to see a Midwest World Series if the Cards can beat the Mets. It would make the TV bosses nuts, but who cares about those mutts?

Soxmissy
10-15-2006, 08:29 AM
I agree. Maggs was My favorite when He was on the Sox. :smile:

asindc
10-15-2006, 08:43 PM
On a very personal note, too, I have a friend in Detroit (a semi-pro umpire) who has always had the Sox as his second favorite team. He was solidly Sox last year. I've got to return the favor now.

Actually, that is why I'm rooting for the Tigers. I watched the game yesterday with a buddy, Tigers fan, who rooted for the Sox with me last year. There are quite a few Tigers fans in Southwest lower MI who also like the Sox. So no hard feelings toward them for me. As for Maggs, don't really care. As I see it, the Sox said goodbye to him.