PDA

View Full Version : Sox Bullpen Story

Lip Man 1
10-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Story on potential off season plans. Says Williams will (could) be looking for three arms and that Cotts will be shopped:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/88839,CST-SPT-sox09.article

Lip

NoShoesJoe
10-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Good article. Thanks for the info. I agree that the front part of the bullpen is most needed now. The article says that McCarthy will be in a starting role next year. With Freddy's recent success, it may up his ante a bit, but who do you think will/should be dealt? I'm guessing it's still Garcia -or- maybe Contreras?

batmanZoSo
10-09-2006, 12:41 PM
''We have to fill the front part of the bullpen, which is generally easier to do than the back part,'' Williams said. ''I anticipate going into next year with one of the better bullpens in the league.''

Sweet. Priority one looks like it's in order.

DaleJRFan
10-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Justin Speier... please KW, Justin Speier....

Ol' No. 2
10-09-2006, 02:37 PM
But Williams likes the foundation that he can build around.
With closer Bobby Jenks joined at the end of the bullpen by right-hander Mike MacDougal and lefty Matt Thornton, he feels like a tweak can make the unit lethal.
Wouldn't almost everyone have said the same thing last year with Jenks/Cotts/Politte?

Madvora
10-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Wouldn't almost everyone have said the same thing last year with Jenks/Cotts/Politte?
I really don't know what happened with those guys. Cotts and Politte were automatic in 2005. That was a great feeling to have.
I wonder if Cliffy will end up somewhere next year.

23Ventura
10-09-2006, 02:42 PM
This is true, but I don't think that anyone could've known that Politte and Cotts would suck as much as they did this year, and I think the Sox pretty much have to hope that Thornton and MacDougal do well in '07.

Ol' No. 2
10-09-2006, 02:56 PM
This is true, but I don't think that anyone could've known that Politte and Cotts would suck as much as they did this year, and I think the Sox pretty much have to hope that Thornton and MacDougal do well in '07.Last spring the Borchard-Thornton trade was characterized as a crap-for-crap deal. Bullpens are inherently unpredictable, and especially middle relievers. Look at the numbers for almost any middle reliever and you'll see tremendous year-to-year variations.

Lip Man 1
10-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Scott Merkin's mailbag is now out on White Sox.com. I found this comment interesting in response to a fan asking about the 2007 pitching staff.

"The White Sox might even look to knuckleballer Charlie Haeger as a possible long reliever, although don't look for any other young arms to be counted on by Williams. He was not impressed by their efforts down the stretch."

Lip

Ol' No. 2
10-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Scott Merkin's mailbag is now out on White Sox.com. I found this comment interesting in response to a fan asking about the 2007 pitching staff.

"The White Sox might even look to knuckleballer Charlie Haeger as a possible long reliever, although don't look for any other young arms to be counted on by Williams. He was not impressed by their efforts down the stretch."

LipNeither was I.

johnr1note
10-09-2006, 03:45 PM

Lip

I think Haeger has the chance to dominate in a middle relief role. His knucker will be hard to time between the likes of Mcdougal, Thornton and Jenks. If you subtract his awful start from the early part of the season, his statistics (though a limited sample) are pretty impressive.

TomBradley72
10-09-2006, 03:53 PM
What's with this b.s.?

''One thing about baseball, we're a small market in a big city,'' Guillen said

We're one year removed from a World Series championship in one of the top three markets in the U.S.! :angry:

Britt Burns
10-09-2006, 04:01 PM
I think we need a few changes in the pen, but not a huge makeover. Cotts had a terrible year but I expect him to bounce back, and with Thornton blossoming he only needs to be a LOOGY. Haeger could be a great addition in long relief with some extra flexibility given that he doesn't need to be on a 'normal' rest schedule. Assuming McCarthy will move into te rotation, we will need to find a righty to replace him...not a top tier guy, but someone reliable like Vizcaino, etc.

Cuck_The_Fubs
10-09-2006, 05:31 PM
I like the fact that KW is going to shop around using the face value of Cotts, but I'm almost certain Cotts will be back in black in 2007. So he had a rough 2nd half, that doesnt mean he's completely usesless. I'd rather have myself knowing how Cotts does first half of 2007, then not knowing, and Cotts being an all-star for some other team.

Cuck the Fubs
10-09-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm seeing double......

2 cuck the fubs???!?!?!

Get us some middle relief KW..and quick!

SABRSox
10-09-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm seeing double......

2 cuck the fubs???!?!?!

Get us some middle relief KW..and quick!

Usurper! Usurper! :D:

Personally, I think moving Cotts would be a mistake. Considering he makes next to nothing, he's got a lot of potential, and I think he's a lot better than his 2006 season.

slavko
10-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Last spring the Borchard-Thornton trade was characterized as a crap-for-crap deal. Bullpens are inherently unpredictable, and especially middle relievers. Look at the numbers for almost any middle reliever and you'll see tremendous year-to-year variations.

And the same can be said of closers. They last a while, you get rid of them and get fresh meat. Once in a blue moon you get one that lasts a long time. That's show biz.