Alex Cintron
Ross Gload

What do you guys think

Myrtle72
10-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Cotts needs to go.

batmanZoSo
10-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Man that's terrible outfield. And Lugo is a huge downgrade from Uribe.

I agree with keeping Garcia and 86'ing Vazquez, though.

SkeetSkeetAmit
10-08-2006, 10:41 PM
No Anderson?

BiggestFan14
10-08-2006, 10:46 PM
The pitching and bench look good, but the lineup looks like a total downgrade. I'll take the 04 Sox over that 07 Sox...

thomas35forever
10-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Where's Fields?

Chisox003
10-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Roberts and Pierre...in the same outfield? :o:

*shudders*

And you made essentially 1 semi-noticable change in a pitching staff (bullpen included) that cost us the postseason in 2006...that ain't getting it done.

Jjav829
10-08-2006, 11:09 PM
What do you guys think

I think we would be getting a lot worse defensively. There's really no reason to sign Roberts, Pierre and Lugo. We only need one leadoff type. The only reason to sign Lugo is if Kenny wants to get Fields in the lineup in LF and wants to find a shortstop who can leadoff.

And while I don't think all that highly of Vazquez, I would imagine we could get at least one major leaguer in return for him.

JB98
10-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Roberts AND Pierre? Maybe one or the other, but not both.

jabrch
10-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Dave Roberts? The guy is not an everyday player. Never has been, never will be. And it doesn't help that he's 35 years old.

I'd MUCH rather have BA in CF and Pierre in LF than Roberts and Pierre together in the OF.

SoxFan76
10-09-2006, 12:36 AM
Where's Anderson going to play?

buehrle4cy05
10-09-2006, 12:42 AM
Dave Roberts essentially is an older version of Scott Podsednik. Both are career minor leaguers who make a living off stealing bases. They both have noodle arms, too. Roberts may be a slightly better hitter than Podsednik this year, but who knows what he'll put up next year when he's 36?

JUribe1989
10-09-2006, 01:24 AM
NO Dan Kolb!

DoItForDanPasqua
10-09-2006, 03:33 AM
1. Ty Cobb LF
2. Rogers Hornsby 2B
3. Willie Mays CF
4. Babe Ruth RF
5. Ted Williams DH
6. Josh Gibson C
7. Lou Gehrig 1B
8. Mike Schmidt 3B
9. Honus Wagner SS

OEO Magglio
10-09-2006, 04:21 AM
That team finishes in 3rd place again. Absolutely kills the team defense.

sox1970
10-09-2006, 05:39 AM
Awful. The bullpen will probably have Haeger, Thornton, MacDougal, and Jenks. I think KW and Ozzie are blowing smoke when they talk about Cotts coming back. He's got to be gone. Riske needs to go and get an upgrade there.

As far as Pierre, Roberts, and Lugo--thet's awful. I think you're changing players for the sake of change, which is a bad plan. I believe KW when he says they will not move Uribe unless they can help the team. There are a lot of worse shortstops than Juan Uribe.

OEO Magglio
10-09-2006, 06:45 AM
There are a lot of worse shortstops than Juan Uribe.
A ton. Unless you can find a special player there cougharodcough, Juan should be our shortstop next season.

Danryan
10-09-2006, 06:52 AM
I would rather take my chances with Pod, Anderson and Uribe

soxfanatlanta
10-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Dan Kolb?

[nervous shuddering]

I believe Anderson is going to make some great progress this winter, and he will be back in CF this spring. No need to move him.

wdelaney72
10-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Your also leaving out one of the BIGGEST problems we faced this season... no 4th outfielder. Machowiak, Pablo, and Gload are fantastic bench players FOR INFIELD POSITIONS. They are not outfielders.

Craig Grebeck
10-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Fact: Juan had the worst OBP for an everyday player.

Fact: Vazquez is better than Garcia.

Fact: Pierre is a terrible baseball player (considering what he will be paid).

Just dump Freddy, get Brady Clark, find a reliable SS and call it an offseason.

soxchick20
10-09-2006, 10:20 AM
I would rather take my chances with Pod, Anderson and Uribe

me too

BeefyD
10-09-2006, 11:10 AM

I don't have a stat-book with me, but how does Juan rank defensively as SS?
I'd take his bad OBP for solid-D, which he seems to give.

LudicrousSpeed
10-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Dave Roberts essentially is an older version of Scott Podsednik. Both are career minor leaguers who make a living off stealing bases. They both have noodle arms, too. Roberts may be a slightly better hitter than Podsednik this year, but who knows what he'll put up next year when he's 36?

Agreed. I would stay clear away from Roberts.

A. Cavatica
10-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Hey dude, What's the Score?

oddlot
10-09-2006, 12:33 PM
1. Ty Cobb LF
2. Rogers Hornsby 2B
3. Willie Mays CF
4. Babe Ruth RF
5. Ted Williams DH
6. Lou Gehrig 1B
7. Johnny Bench C
8. Mike Schmidt 3B
9. Honus Wagner SS

What, no Henry Aaron?... Stan Musial?...Sammy (oops- sorry!)

Scottzilla
10-09-2006, 12:35 PM
1. Ty Cobb LF
2. Rogers Hornsby 2B
3. Willie Mays CF
4. Babe Ruth RF
5. Ted Williams DH
6. Lou Gehrig 1B
7. Johnny Bench C
8. Mike Schmidt 3B
9. Honus Wagner SS

I don't know how the chemistry between Cobb and Mays is gonna work out. lol

October26
10-09-2006, 01:02 PM
1. Ty Cobb LF
2. Rogers Hornsby 2B
3. Willie Mays CF
4. Babe Ruth RF
5. Ted Williams DH
6. Lou Gehrig 1B
7. Johnny Bench C
8. Mike Schmidt 3B
9. Honus Wagner SS

LOL. Ugh, what dimension is this team playing in? You have players on the same team from the 1900's - 1980's? How you gonna pull off this "Somewhere in Time" sequel?

Seriously though, you have assembled an impressive line-up here for Ozzie to play next year. Talk about exhuming bodies. Yikes! :smile:

Myrtle72
10-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Seriously though, you have assembled an impressive line-up here for Ozzie to play next year. Talk about exhuming bodies. Yikes! :smile:

Well, that and the fact that they probably won't expect much money considering the times they come from. We just won't tell them about inflation.

Sox-o-matic
10-09-2006, 01:15 PM

What is this board's obsession with Brady Clark? He's a corner OF playing CF, just like Pods was when he was in Milwaukee.

Clark is not anywhere near Anderson's level with his glove, and besides having a bit more power, isn't any better of a hitter than Podsednik. If the Brewers had anyone that they really felt was ready and worth it Brady wouldn't be playing CF. I wouldn't mind him as a 4th OF, but a starter? No way.

As far as a reliable SS, the most consistent all around options would probably be Omar Vizquel or Alex Gonzalez (the good one) through FA. Other than that, you have Orlando Cabrera you can try to trade for, or maybe Cesar Izturis if the Cubs dump him or decide to move him, but there aren't many options. Our most realistic option for SS not named Uribe is Alex Cintron and he's already on the team. Julio Lugo is going to get overpaid this offseason and some team is going to be trying to move him next offseason, book it.

batmanZoSo
10-09-2006, 01:22 PM

Call it an offseason? More like call it another 88 years because you can't win another World Series with this bullpen. We already have a reliable SS. Uribe's a ****ty hitter, so what, it's a defensive position and he's a number 8 hitter. Where do you plan to find a gold glove SS that hits 20 homers?

In his worst year, Garcia is still better than Vazquez.

gbergman
10-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Dave Roberts? The guy is not an everyday player. Never has been, never will be.

Dave Roberts is an everyday player, and he did very well leading off for the Padres. Dave gets on and is always looking to steal bases, andwould be an upgrade over pods unless pods was to start playing like he did before he got hurt in 2005.

QCIASOXFAN
10-09-2006, 01:30 PM
4. Jim Thome DH
5. Paul Konerko 1B
6. Joe Crede 3B
7. AJ Pierzynski These guys can't all bat in a row like this again.

SoxFan76
10-09-2006, 01:51 PM
These guys can't all bat in a row like this again.

Exactly, as much as I like all of those guys, you can't have all of them on the same team. All I can think of is Valentin, Caballo, Frank, Maggs, Konerko. Now where did that get us...

The Sox had a sick offense this year...all for a 3rd place finish. If you can sacrifice some offense for some pitching, the Sox will be right back in the postseason. (this all sounds so familiar...ahem2005ahem)

Craig Grebeck
10-09-2006, 02:30 PM
What the hell do people on this board have against Vazquez? HE HAD TWO BAD MONTHS. Jesus, from April to May and August to September he was very solid. We cannot give up the best CF prospect in baseball for Vazquez and then just throw him away. Give him another year. Garcia was downright bad until his final 5 starts or so. Look at the month by month splits Batman, Vazquez was much better.

What's the obsession with Clark? He gets on base cheaply, and if we can't get Ryan Freel go for Clark. We don't need to spend a lot of money on a leadoff man, just someone who gets on base enough for the boppers.

A. Cavatica
10-09-2006, 02:51 PM

Exhuming...there's the Brandon McCarthy nickname I was waiting for!

Sox-o-matic
10-09-2006, 11:58 PM
What the hell do people on this board have against Vazquez? HE HAD TWO BAD MONTHS. Jesus, from April to May and August to September he was very solid. We cannot give up the best CF prospect in baseball for Vazquez and then just throw him away. Give him another year. Garcia was downright bad until his final 5 starts or so. Look at the month by month splits Batman, Vazquez was much better.

What's the obsession with Clark? He gets on base cheaply, and if we can't get Ryan Freel go for Clark. We don't need to spend a lot of money on a leadoff man, just someone who gets on base enough for the boppers.

Clark's 2006 OBP: .348
Podsednik's 2006 OBP: .330
Clark's career OBP: .358
Podsednik's career OBP: .342

Both are corner outfielders who were put in CF in Milwaukee due to corner OF spots being taken by Kevin Mench, Carlos Lee, and Geoff Jenkins. Neither are true centerfielders.

Brady doesn't run, and he doesn't have the speed Podsednik does.

Do you really think it would be wise to give up ANY talent at all to replace one corner OF with another OF who doesn't run and whose OBP has only been .016 points higher his whole career?

If the Sox got Brady Clark to lead off they would be TOTALLY ABANDONING much of what made the offense so successful in 2005.

Once again, if he can be obtained for a midlevel prospect or two and is brought in to be a 4th OF, fine, but he is not a starter on a championship team.

chisoxmike
10-10-2006, 12:13 AM

Yes, yes, and more yes.

Chrisaway
10-10-2006, 01:50 AM
What about Gary Matthews Jr. for CF?

Craig Grebeck
10-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Clark's 2006 OBP: .348
Podsednik's 2006 OBP: .330
Clark's career OBP: .358
Podsednik's career OBP: .342

Both are corner outfielders who were put in CF in Milwaukee due to corner OF spots being taken by Kevin Mench, Carlos Lee, and Geoff Jenkins. Neither are true centerfielders.

Brady doesn't run, and he doesn't have the speed Podsednik does.

Do you really think it would be wise to give up ANY talent at all to replace one corner OF with another OF who doesn't run and whose OBP has only been .016 points higher his whole career?

If the Sox got Brady Clark to lead off they would be TOTALLY ABANDONING much of what made the offense so successful in 2005.

Once again, if he can be obtained for a midlevel prospect or two and is brought in to be a 4th OF, fine, but he is not a starter on a championship team.
We won in 2005 because of pitching. If we had the offense of 06 in 05 we would have won 115 games most likely.

Jerome
10-10-2006, 09:42 AM
We won in 2005 because of pitching. If we had the offense of 06 in 05 we would have won 115 games most likely.

I hear that. I hate when morons call up to the sports blab radio and cry about lack of small ball as the the reason why the 06 Sox didn't make it this year.
Yes there were individual situations where it would have helped, but this year's problems fall squarely on the shoulders of the starting and relief pitching.

Dolanski
10-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Dave Roberts is an everyday player, and he did very well leading off for the Padres. Dave gets on and is always looking to steal bases, andwould be an upgrade over pods unless pods was to start playing like he did before he got hurt in 2005.

He can't stay healthy. Might as well find someone to platoon with him because he ALWAYS pulls a hamstring. A poor man's Kenny Lofton at best.

Dolanski
10-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Yeah, its my favorite time of year. Arm Chair General Manager Season. I love reading the unrealistic lineups of fanboys who barely have an idea about what the game is about. How about we get 5 first basemen in our lineup? How about 4 leadoff hitters? Let's fill out our bullpen with every popular name we see from this past season. Hey, let's sign Barry Bonds!

They all have the same thing in common. They are all terrible lineups, terrible pitching staffs and, thank God, totally unrealistic.

Sox-o-matic
10-10-2006, 11:35 AM

Yes, we did win because of pitching, and pitching is the number one priority, but it is not the only priority. How many games did the inability to manufacture runs cost us this year, especially in the second half?

In 2005 we had starting pitching, a bullpen, solid defense, power in the middle of the lineup, a top of the order that put pressure on the opposing pitchers and defense, and a lineup that all the way around could manufacture runs.

The idea IMO is to go back to that, not move away from that. If KW improves the bullpen and the starting pitching improves we will be better. If KW does that AND gets a leadoff hitter who can do the same things Pods did in 2005, which in turn gives the team greater ability to manufacture runs, then we will be much better.

Hitmen77
10-10-2006, 02:54 PM
1. Juan Pierre CF
2. Dave Roberts LF
3. Jermaine Dye RF
4. Jim Thome DH
5. Paul Konerko 1B
6. Joe Crede 3B
7. AJ Pierzynski C
8. Tadihito Iguchi 2B
9. Julio Lugo SS

SP1. Contreares
SP2. Garland
SP3. Buehrle
SP4. Garcia
SP5. McCarthy

CL. Jenks
SU. Dan Kolb
SU. Matt Thornton
SU. Mike McDougle
LH. Neal Cotts
SUb. David Riske
LR. Charlie Haeger

Bench
Pable Ozuna
Rob Mackowiak
Alex Cintron
Ross Gload

What do you guys think

Am I correct that Pierre, Roberts, and Lugo are all free agents? If so, then are you saying that we trade Podsednik, Uribe, Vazquez, AND Anderson for Dan Kolb and prospects?

Also, is AJ going to catch every day? Or are we going to make Mackowiak be our backup catcher?:?:

Rockman218
10-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Thats a hoorible defense bro.

Madscout
10-13-2006, 10:52 AM
I hear that. I hate when morons call up to the sports blab radio and cry about lack of small ball as the the reason why the 06 Sox didn't make it this year.
Yes there were individual situations where it would have helped, but this year's problems fall squarely on the shoulders of the starting and relief pitching.
Word. If you want your example besides the Sox, look at the Yankmes. With that sick lineup, they couldn't beat the Tigers who had great starts out of three of their pitchers. Pitching will also help the offense. We had a lead in our first 30 so games in 2005, not only because we scored, but because we weren't down by 2 runs after the first.

SBSoxFan
10-16-2006, 10:32 AM

Seems there was a stretch of games in September when the starters were rolling and the offense was gone. A more consisten offense might have made the last series in MN worth something.

Also, regarding Garcia vs. Vazquez, as impressive as Garcia was in September what are the chances he'll be near that for an entire year? Vazquez looks like Garland pre-2005 only with better stuff. Vazquez is a horse who has the stuff to be the power pitcher the Sox lack. I'd like to see him get another chance. I'm glad I don't have to make that call.

Vazquez 2006: WHIP = 1.29, K/9 = 8.2
Garcia 2006: WHIP = 1.28, K/9 = 5.6

Hagan
10-17-2006, 12:08 PM
If we were to put that team like that together i wouldnt want dave roberts in left field. i would instead have lugo bat 2nd and then try to get a better hitter in LF. or even get a cheap platoon together that together puts up good stats.

sox1970
10-17-2006, 05:58 PM
My offseason moves (just for fun):

Trade Brandon McCarthy for Carl Crawford.

Trade Brian Anderson and Javier Vazquez for Vernon Wells (try to sign him long term).

Trade Jermaine Dye to an NL team for good pitching prospects and major league bullpen help. (A year early, not a year late).

Trade Joe Crede to the Yankees for pitcher Phillip Hughes. This would assume Alex Rodriguez would be traded elsewhere.

Trade Juan Uribe for a bag of balls at this point.

Non-tender Scott Podsednik.

Sign Julio Lugo.

Sign a solid 5th starter.

Lineup:

1. Crawford -LF
2. Iguchi -2B
3. Thome -DH
4. Konerko -1B
5. Wells -CF
6. Pierzynski -C
7. Fields -3B
8. Sweeney -RF
9. Lugo -SS

Rotation: Garland, Garcia, Buehrle, Contreras, and a FA, with Hughes, Broadway, and whomever you get for Dye waiting in the wings.

Hagan
10-18-2006, 11:21 AM
I do not see one of the trades that you talked about working at all, other than the Dye one which i do not think is a great idea. We are not going to get hughes for crede who is on the last year of his contract and we are not going to get vernon wells for anderson and vazquez.

StatHead21
10-19-2006, 01:38 AM
1. Juan Pierre CF
2. Dave Roberts LF

SU. Dan Kolb

They're trying to win the division, not finish 4th.

MUsoxfan
10-19-2006, 01:51 AM
My offseason moves (just for fun):

Trade Brandon McCarthy for Carl Crawford.

Trade Brian Anderson and Javier Vazquez for Vernon Wells (try to sign him long term).

Trade Jermaine Dye to an NL team for good pitching prospects and major league bullpen help. (A year early, not a year late).

Trade Joe Crede to the Yankees for pitcher Phillip Hughes. This would assume Alex Rodriguez would be traded elsewhere.

Trade Juan Uribe for a bag of balls at this point.

Non-tender Scott Podsednik.

Sign Julio Lugo.

Sign a solid 5th starter.

Lineup:

1. Crawford -LF
2. Iguchi -2B
3. Thome -DH
4. Konerko -1B
5. Wells -CF
6. Pierzynski -C
7. Fields -3B
8. Sweeney -RF
9. Lugo -SS

Rotation: Garland, Garcia, Buehrle, Contreras, and a FA, with Hughes, Broadway, and whomever you get for Dye waiting in the wings.

TB under new ownership would trade a guy that's considered a superstar for McCarthy? A World Series MVP and a regular season MVP candidate for prospects and bullpen help? Crede to the Yanks for a guy that's never pitched in the major leagues?

:smokin:

KRS1
10-21-2006, 04:36 AM
I cant tell you any trades or additions, because I have no idea who is, or will be on the market to upgrade our areas of need. However, if I could do one thing to improve the team, it would be to add Hanley Ramirez someway, somehow. I wouldnt trade the farm for him, but man would he look good at the top of our order.

It's a damn shame Valido had to fall flat on his face this season, because it would have been nice to see him make a legit push to start next season. Instead it's obvious as of right now he needs a lot more seasoning and hard work. BTW, anybody know if/where he is playing winter ball this year?

Also, maybe Owens stays hot and keep it going into next ST, putting his name in contention for our leadoff spot. From all accounts and stats, he was a totally different/better player in the second half this season.

Grzegorz
10-21-2006, 04:58 AM
I do not see TB giving up Carl Crawford unless TB management totally pillages the Chicago White Sox minor league system.

I do not want to mortgage the future for one player. A player, mind you, that everyone seems to think will bat leadoff without missing a beat after he's been a successful run producer.

Address the pitching; both starting and relief. That is the major deficiency of the Chicago White Sox.

Sox Insider
11-05-2006, 12:23 PM
My 2007 team would be

C- Aj Pierzynski
1B- Paul Konerko
2B- Tadahito Iguchi
SS- Micheal Young
3B- Joe Crede
DH- Jim Thome
RF- Jermaine Dye
CF- Jim Edmonds
LF- Carl Crawford

Bench- R Sweeney OF, J Fields 3B-OF, P Ozuna IF-OF, A Cintron utily, H Blanco C

Starters- M Buehrle, J Garland, J Contreras, D Matzuzaka, C Haeger

Bullpen- N Cotts LR, M Thornton LR, E Gagne RR, J Speier RR M Macdougal RR B Jenks RR

thomas35forever
11-05-2006, 02:04 PM
My 2007 team would be

C- Aj Pierzynski
1B- Paul Konerko
2B- Tadahito Iguchi
SS- Micheal Young
3B- Joe Crede
DH- Jim Thome
RF- Jermaine Dye
CF- Jim Edmonds
LF- Carl Crawford

Bullpen- N Cotts LR, M Thornton LR, E Gagne RR, J Speier RR M Macdougal RR B Jenks RR
Gagne is too much of a risk and Edmonds is too old. Crawford is too much of an asking price.

chisoxmike
11-05-2006, 02:27 PM
1. Juan Pierre CF
2. Dave Roberts LF
3. Jermaine Dye RF
4. Jim Thome DH
5. Paul Konerko 1B
6. Joe Crede 3B
7. AJ Pierzynski C
8. Tadihito Iguchi 2B
9. Julio Lugo SS

SP1. Contreares
SP2. Garland
SP3. Buehrle
SP4. Garcia
SP5. McCarthy

CL. Jenks
SU. Dan Kolb
SU. Matt Thornton
SU. Mike McDougle
LH. Neal Cotts
SUb. David Riske
LR. Charlie Haeger

Bench
Pable Ozuna
Rob Mackowiak
Alex Cintron
Ross Gload

What do you guys think

This team wins 80 games tops.

FedEx227
11-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Why do you guys want to fill our outfielder with over-the-hill guys who present no upgrades from Scott Podsednik/Brian Anderson I don't understand. What does Brian Roberts do that Scott Podsednik doesn't?

Sox Insider
11-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Gagne is too much of a risk and Edmonds is too old. Crawford is too much of an asking price.

Edmonds would be a stop gap for 2 years until Sweeney is ready to take the CF spot..

It's my dream to have Crawford on the Sox.

chisoxmike
11-05-2006, 02:36 PM
It's my dream to have Crawford on the Sox.

That would be amazing. I just don't see it happening though.

JermaineDye05
11-05-2006, 02:36 PM
My 2007 team would be

C- Aj Pierzynski
1B- Paul Konerko
2B- Tadahito Iguchi
SS- Micheal Young
3B- Joe Crede
DH- Jim Thome
RF- Jermaine Dye
CF- Jim Edmonds
LF- Carl Crawford

Michael Young AND Carl Crawford and we still have Sweeney and Fields I don't see that ever happening.

IMO Edmond's and Gagne are too much of a risk

and Matzuzaka is way too much money I like the idea of getting Justin Speier though, I'd really like to get this guy in our BP. I also like the idea of hanging onto Neal although he had a real rough season I'm sure he can bounce back to his '05 form. Hopefully Coop can work with him and help him to fix w.e was wrong

Sox Insider
11-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Michael Young AND Carl Crawford and we still have Sweeney and Fields I don't see that ever happening.

and Matzuzaka is way too much money I like the idea of getting Justin Speier though, I'd really like to get this guy in our BP. I also like the idea of hanging onto Neal although he had a real rough season I'm sure he can bounce back to his '05 form. Hopefully Coop can work with him and help him to fix w.e was wrong

To get Young and Crawford.. I would give up a combination of Garcia, Uribe Vazquez, B Mac, J Owens and Brian Anderson. I'm not saying all would go just that the Rays and Rangers would have their pick.

As for Daisuke my plan of trading Garcia, Uribe and Vazquez would save the Sox about 25 million to sign the Japan pitcher

PushnThaEscalade
11-06-2006, 04:14 PM
To get Young and Crawford.. I would give up a combination of Garcia, Uribe Vazquez, B Mac, J Owens and Brian Anderson. I'm not saying all would go just that the Rays and Rangers would have their pick.

As for Daisuke my plan of trading Garcia, Uribe and Vazquez would save the Sox about 25 million to sign the Japan pitcher

The question is, what is the possibility of us bidding for Daisuke in the first place?

KRS1
11-06-2006, 05:49 PM
The question is, what is the possibility of us bidding for Daisuke in the first place?

Of course, I wouldnt know for sure, but looking at the the teams interested in his services, slim and none.

FedEx227
11-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Of course, I wouldnt know for sure, but looking at the the teams interested in his services, slim and none.

Do we really want to anyway?

We're good at getting the under the radar Japan exports as opposed to the Hideki Irabu's.

oeo
11-06-2006, 10:16 PM

I don't want Edmonds anywhere near the Sox; he's the opposite of what Kenny wants...youth. Plus he doesn't really bring much...offensively or defensively. I'll stick with Brian over Edmonds.

OTOH, Gagne is the type of guy Kenny will go after. KW loves the high risk, high reward players. If Kenny feels Gagne is healthy enough to sign him, he's healthy enough to be signed. Still depends on money, though.

FedEx227
11-06-2006, 10:37 PM
If anybody saw Edmonds play last year, damn. Stark comparison to what he was 5-6 years ago, he looked OOOOLD.

SoxSpeed22
11-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Alright, let's try this again.
Pitching staff:
SP
Buehrle
Garland
Contreras
Vazquez
McCarthy

RP
Jenks- C
Thornton
MacDougal
W. Littleton/ R. Bauer
Cotts (he gets a bad-ass slider and has a better year, you heard it here first)
Haeger

Lineup:
Fields- LF
M. Young- SS
Dye- RF
Konerko- 1B
Thome- DH
Crede- 3B
Iguchi- 2B
Pierzynski- C
Anderson- CF

Bench
Mackowiak/ Gload
Cintron
L. Terrero
Sweeney
H. Blanco
Ozuna

Logic: (make whatever jokes you like)
Garcia and Uribe get traded to obtain Michael Young from Texas and one arm from their pen, either Rick Bauer or Wes Littleton, as well as a mid-level prospect. Henry Blanco gets signed. Fields gets the left-field spot, Sweeney makes the team. Luis Terrero always plays his butt off, Ozzie will have a hard-on for him, so he finds a way to get in, whether or not that's good is still TBD. Mackowiak and Gload are very similar, so only one of them gets in.
Iguchi was not utilized as well hitting second and he really struggled at that spot at times last year. Too many times, there were 2 out, none on for Thome or Dye. Young should be able to do better there. AJ gets dropped to 8 because 4-7 would be way too slow, which was a problem last year, you couldn't use tactics with that little speed on base.
Someone will overpay for Pierre. A deal with Dave Roberts somehow falls through. With the LA teams, New York teams and Boston doing their usual spending spree on starting pitchers, Garcia's trade value goes way up.

These are my predictions, do as you like with them.

chisoxjtrain
11-06-2006, 11:22 PM
my 2007 sox:

C: AJ Pierzynski
1B: Paul Konerko
2B: Tadahito Iguchi
3B: Joe Crede
SS: Alex Cintron
LF: Juan Pierre
CF: Brian Anderson
RF: Jermaine Dye
DH: Jim Thome

Bench: Ross Gload, Chris Stewart, Pablo Ozuna, Josh Fields, Rob Mackowiak

Starting Five:
1) Mark Buerhle
2) Jose Contreras
3) Freddy Garcia
4) Jon Garland
5) Brandon McCarthy

Bullpen:
Closer: Bobby Jenks
Left Handed Set Up: Matt Thornton
Right Handed Set Up: Mike MacDougal
Middle Relief: Chad Bradford
Middle Relief: Neal Cotts
Long Relief: Charlie Haeger

KRS1
11-07-2006, 03:02 AM
Alright, let's try this again.
Pitching staff:
SP
Buehrle
Garland
Contreras
Vazquez
McCarthy

RP
Jenks- C
Thornton
MacDougal
W. Littleton/ R. Bauer
Cotts (he gets a bad-ass slider and has a better year, you heard it here first)
Haeger

Lineup:
Fields- LF
M. Young- SS
Dye- RF
Konerko- 1B
Thome- DH
Crede- 3B
Iguchi- 2B
Pierzynski- C
Anderson- CF

Bench
Mackowiak/ Gload
Cintron
L. Terrero
Sweeney
H. Blanco
Ozuna

Logic: (make whatever jokes you like)
Garcia and Uribe get traded to obtain Michael Young from Texas and one arm from their pen, either Rick Bauer or Wes Littleton, as well as a mid-level prospect. Henry Blanco gets signed. Fields gets the left-field spot, Sweeney makes the team. Luis Terrero always plays his butt off, Ozzie will have a hard-on for him, so he finds a way to get in, whether or not that's good is still TBD. Mackowiak and Gload are very similar, so only one of them gets in.
Iguchi was not utilized as well hitting second and he really struggled at that spot at times last year. Too many times, there were 2 out, none on for Thome or Dye. Young should be able to do better there. AJ gets dropped to 8 because 4-7 would be way too slow, which was a problem last year, you couldn't use tactics with that little speed on base.
Someone will overpay for Pierre. A deal with Dave Roberts somehow falls through. With the LA teams, New York teams and Boston doing their usual spending spree on starting pitchers, Garcia's trade value goes way up.

These are my predictions, do as you like with them.

Fields leading off? Sweeney riding the pine? Only Freddy and Juan for Young?

Im going to go out on a limb here, and say none of those things will happen. To get Young, we'd need to include at least one of Fields, Mr. Anderson, or Sweeney, and that might not be enough. Then again my team would probably bring in more critisizm, so what do I know? I know Im probably the only one here who would like to see Sweeney to be in LF next season, and I know Im the only guy who wants Tracey to get a bullpen spot(Yes, Im 100% serious, as a matter of fact, I thought he should have been in the pen most of last season).

Also, you have 26 players.

rowand33
11-07-2006, 03:08 AM
I'm a little upset to see how many people have given up on Anderson.

Anderson's going to be good, he really is. he finished the season strong and he's awesome defensively.

About players some people want:
I think Gary Matthews Jr. has the potential to end up as a huge mistake for whoever signs him. Always beware the one year wonder that breaks out in a contract year.

I wouldn't be upset to see either Pierre or Roberts on the team. I'll be extremely upset if I see both.

Carl Crawford would be awesome, but I don't know if we can get him.

As far as the lineup goes, we have one real need in the offseason: leadoff man.

that leadoff man will either be an outfielder or a shortstop. If it's an outfielder, the lineup will be the same except for Pods. if it's a shortstop, Uribe will be gone, and Fields will be in left. I don't expect two players that are new to the organization in the lineup next season.

I also don't understand how people expect to unload Vazquez. Does he have any trade value whatsoever besides the fact that he's a starting pitcher? I think the only teams that would look at him are the Royals, Pirates, and Orioles of the world, and I don't see us being interested.

I want him gone too, but I don't think it's realistic.

KRS1
11-07-2006, 03:20 AM
I'm a little upset to see how many people have given up on Anderson.

Anderson's going to be good, he really is. he finished the season strong and he's awesome defensively.

About players some people want:
I think Gary Matthews Jr. has the potential to end up as a huge mistake for whoever signs him. Always beware the one year wonder that breaks out in a contract year.

I wouldn't be upset to see either Pierre or Roberts on the team. I'll be extremely upset if I see both.

Carl Crawford would be awesome, but I don't know if we can get him.

As far as the lineup goes, we have one real need in the offseason: leadoff man.

that leadoff man will either be an outfielder or a shortstop. If it's an outfielder, the lineup will be the same except for Pods. if it's a shortstop, Uribe will be gone, and Fields will be in left. I don't expect two players that are new to the organization in the lineup next season.

I also don't understand how people expect to unload Vazquez. Does he have any trade value whatsoever besides the fact that he's a starting pitcher? I think the only teams that would look at him are the Royals, Pirates, and Orioles of the world, and I don't see us being interested.

I want him gone too, but I don't think it's realistic.

I 100% agree with you about Brian, and 200% about Matthews. Brian should be our starting CF for a long time.

About Javi, yes he does have some value still. I would add the Rangers and Rays to that list, as they have been craving starters forever. I wouldnt shun a deal for Chris Ray and prospects(maybe even Loewen for the pen) for Javi or Freddy. OT: speaking of Orioles prospects BA put up their top 10 for them today.

Grzegorz
11-07-2006, 04:48 AM
Keeping both Contreras and Garcia are risky; I do not trust Garcia's second half and Contreras might be at the point where it is better to deal him (I know he's signed and that makes it tough) and get something for him before it is too late.

Oh, and neither one has the slightest desire to work on keeping runners close at first.
Their histrionics last season have sold me that if the price is right it would be best to deal at least one of them.

Chw2007
11-08-2006, 10:02 PM
1. Juan Pierre CF
2. Dave Roberts LF
3. Jermaine Dye RF
4. Jim Thome DH
5. Paul Konerko 1B
6. Joe Crede 3B
7. AJ Pierzynski C
8. Tadihito Iguchi 2B
9. Julio Lugo SS

SP1. Contreares
SP2. Garland
SP3. Buehrle
SP4. Garcia
SP5. McCarthy

CL. Jenks
SU. Dan Kolb
SU. Matt Thornton
SU. Mike McDougle
LH. Neal Cotts
SUb. David Riske
LR. Charlie Haeger

Bench
Pable Ozuna
Rob Mackowiak
Alex Cintron
Ross Gload

What do you guys think

i like where u going with this. but putting two speedsters of roberts and pierre in the same outfield is not a good idea. instead of a guy like roberts u need a guy that is a 2nd slot hitter like a frank catalanoto who by the way is a free agent with a very high OBP and is a perfect #2 hitter. plus i would like to see someone better than Dan Kolb. i don't know exactly who but better. and i'd trade either garcia or vazquez. i'd trade garcia cause he's lost a lot of his stuff. but otherwise ur dream team of 07 is good. i'd love to get julio lugo, he's way better than uribe

Lprof
11-09-2006, 11:35 PM
[quote=soxfanatlanta;1378554]Dan Kolb?

[nervous shuddering]

I believe Anderson is going to make some great progress this winter, and he will be back in CF this spring. No need to move him.[/quote

I suppose it depends on how one defines "progress"; if he was trying to lose weight, I guess that has worked. Otherwise, it's been a complete disaster. Any way, I know people say we didn't lose it because of Anderson, but the bottom of the order sucked most of the year. He came on for a while, but dropped off at the end, and killed a lot of rallies. I'm not saying don't give him another chance, but I hope Kenny follows the advice I gave him but he ignored last year: Have a viable plan B on the roster. Mackowiack wasn't it.

OJAIsoxfan
11-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Why not look in the direction of Carl Crawford and Michael Young if we're trying to improve? Or even Soriano? Id' take Gary Mathews far and away over Roberts or Pierre. Overall, we should stick with what we've got with Uribe and the rookie boys in the outfield over some average guys. Uribe's numbers may have been down, but he's still better than Julio Lugo over the long term.
We don't need to trade for marginal guys just because we came in third. Detroit is no better with Sheffield, and the Twins will not repeat. 90 wins is not a reason to go hunting. Tweak, yes. Change the face of the team, No.

whitesox901
11-12-2006, 02:11 PM
i wouldnt count on that, if anything it would probebly end up like this:

LF: Crawford
2B: Iguchi
DH: Thome
1B: Konerko
RF: Dye
C: Pierzynksi
3B: Crede
SS: Cintron/Uribe
CF: Brian Anderson

and for the rotation, Give TB Jazquez for crawford. i dont know, its good for us to hope, but that seems never to come for us latley. hell i'd consider it a good offseason if we get a new lead off man and a starter/reliever that gonna give us .500, and im sure Wurly-Buerhle will be fine, contrease will be fine. garcia had a great end of season stretch.

lets face it, never keep your hopes up. we'll probebly just get a new lead off man, and well uribe wont be much help if he is in prison

PeoriaSoxFan
11-13-2006, 09:17 PM
I get the feeling that Anderson is on his way out or at least being demoted (from starter). Not going along with the winter ball plan seems to get Kenny's ire up, even though there may have been extenuating circumstances. Beyond that, he really has shown little to prove he is ready. I would like to see Rowand back and still upgrade in LF as well. The SCORE was reporting last week that the Sox were talking to Philly about Rowand and to SF about Vizquel. I have seen nothing else to authenticate that speculation, however. It is interesting that the Sox are basically included in every possible rumour. One article even mentioned them being interested in Bonds, which I think is ridiculous, since they already have a LH DH. I would like to think we are in the hunt for guys like Clemens, D. Willis, etc., but all of the speculation likely simply relates to Kenny's aggressive style. A trade for Young would be awesome, but I can't imagine that Texas would give him up. A thought that is interesting is the fact that the Sox have so many expiring contracts after this season. They really are set up to go for it this year and restructure after that. As such, maybe Kenny will get aggressive this off season, assuming they can spend the money. Sorry for the long post, but life is boring without baseball.

decolores9628
11-14-2006, 03:35 PM
LF: Crawford
2B: Iguchi
DH: Thome
RF: Dye
1B: Konerko
C: Pierzynski
3B: Crede
SS: Uribe
CF: Sweeney/Roberts

C: Alomar Jr.
INF: Cintron
OF: Mackowiak
Util:Ozuna
OF: Sweeney (if we dont get Roberts)/ Gload

SP: Buehrle
SP: Contreras
SP: Garland
SP: Garcia
SP: McCarthy

RP: Jenks
RP: MacDougal
RP: Thornton
RP: Walker
RP: Speier
RP: Haeger/Broadway

Jimmystick
11-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Need a backup catcher and no way the Sox sign two outfielder free agents when their minor leagues are stacked with outfielders. I know this has a zero percent chance of happening but I'd like to see the Sox keep Anderson in CF, get a new leadoff hitter in LF and keep Podsednik as the 4th outfielder/pinch runner. I think he'd be great in that role, and the White Sox do need a backup outfielder (we learned last year that Pablo Ozuna and Rob Mackowiak don't count).

Jimmystick
11-16-2006, 08:00 AM
No way do the Sox have Crawford, Sweeney, McCarthy, Broadway, and Haeger all on the same team. Know why? Because to get Crawford you're going to have to include McCarthy no matter what, along with either Broadway, Sweeney, Haeger, or Fields, and quite possibly all of them (if the Devil Rays through in another player).