PDA

View Full Version : [Rumor] Joe Torre supposed to be fired later yesterday.

getonbckthr
10-07-2006, 05:26 PM
With what happened in Florida and how much Steinbrenner likes Girardi is this Torre's final season especially if Game 4 ends how it is going right now?

Myrtle72
10-07-2006, 05:27 PM
With what happened in Florida and how much Steinbrenner likes Girardi is this Torre's final season especially if Game 4 ends how it is going right now?

Yes. According to Yankee standards, Torre has failed miserably over the last few years.

goofymsfan
10-07-2006, 05:29 PM

A similar question came up on Fox. I would have to say it is pretty likely that Torre would be gone if they fail to win the WS for the 6th straight year. It will be interesting to see for sure. There is still quite a bit of game left to play though before we will find out.

Madvora
10-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Get ready for the "Joe Torre would love to manage the Cubs" articles from the Tribune.

Scottiehaswheels
10-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Get ready for the "Joe Torre would love to manage the Cubs" articles from the Tribune.
Actually I'm sure thats probably true... The pressure is on to win in NY... For the Cubs he can just goof off and they'll still proceed with business as usual...

shoelessshaun27!
10-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Torre's great, he'll find work else where if they fire him.

DumpJerry
10-07-2006, 11:40 PM
I always thought Girardi was a Yankee Manager in training.

Interesting choice: Cubs or Yanks. With the Yanks you get a boss with high demands and an unrelenting press. With the Cubs you get nothing, no pressure at all.

Yanks will offer more $$$$.

buehrle4cy05
10-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Pinella will be hired by the Yankees, IMO, when Torre gets fired. Girardi is the most logical option, but it may take a few years to win with Girardi at the helm. With Pinella as the manager, the Yankees would have a better chance to win sooner than later. Also, having Pinella as the manager could be beneficial for A-Rod, as they have an existing relationship from Seattle.

LuvSox
10-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Yes. According to Yankee standards, Torre has failed miserably over the last few years.

Cashman should pack his bags too.

Credefan21
10-08-2006, 01:50 AM
Supposedly a New York newspaper is saying that Torre will be fired later today and be replaced by Lou Pinella.

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2006, 01:55 AM
Supposedly a New York newspaper is saying that Torre will be fired later today and be replaced by Lou Pinella.A rumor of a rumor.

PKalltheway
10-08-2006, 02:00 AM
I wonder if he'll even want to manage again if he does get canned. I'm wondering if he'll contemplate retirement.

gobears1987
10-08-2006, 02:00 AM
A rumor of a rumor.But George seems to love firing managers.

Boondock Saint
10-08-2006, 02:08 AM
I just heard that
1)Torre will be fired,
2)He will be offered a different job with the Yankmees
3)Pinella will get his job.

Edit: Almost forgot. 4)Cashman will keep his job.

SABRSox
10-08-2006, 02:16 AM
Piniella is overrated. He won a world series 20 years ago and hasn't done a thing since. They're welcome to fire Torre... it will make them much, much worse.

HotelWhiteSox
10-08-2006, 03:41 AM
That was fast. Real stupid move imo. The popular thing to do (from looking at the Yankee boards) is point the figure at Torre. Can't believe Cashman just gets off the hook like that. They'll fall into the same trap next year

goon
10-08-2006, 07:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2617224

downstairs
10-08-2006, 08:55 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2617224

Yeah, its the NY Daily News. Yeah, its a rumor. But everyone knew this would happen eventually. (That's what I meant by "finally")

I hate the Yankees, as well I am not one to believe a manager mean *all* that much for a team (maybe 4-5 wins in a season). But if anyone diserves a "lifetime" job, its Joe Torre.

I happen to believe a manager's "job" is getting to the playoffs. You can't "manage" a win out of 3-7 games. Its a season-long attitude you instil in players. Sure, Torre got delt a $200 million hand year-after-year. But he DID get them to the playoffs every single year, for a decade.

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Media - here's your scapegoat.

Fire A-Rod's lazy ass instead. Torre kept that team together with Matsui being out, Sheffield in and out of the lineup, Randy Johnson, etc....and he loses his job.

**** the Yankees. May they continue to make the postseason for the next 20 years, only to be home during the WS.

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2006, 09:04 AM
I happen to believe a manager's "job" is getting to the playoffs. You can't "manage" a win out of 3-7 games. Its a season-long attitude you instil in players. Sure, Torre got delt a $200 million hand year-after-year. But he DID get them to the playoffs every single year, for a decade.

You're right,but you know how the Noo Yawkahs are going to feel.
I can just hear them now.:rolleyes:

"WAAAAAHHH!!:whiner: The Yankees only won 4
World Series in 6 atttempts under Torre,WAAAHHH!!:whiner: "

Bucky F. Dent
10-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Lupica was just on ESPN talking about what a tremendous manager Torre was BUT, that it had been SIX YEARS since the team had one a world series.

What an arrogant organization, piss off, I hope it is sixty more!

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Pinella is overrated. He won a world series 20 years ago and hasn't done a thing since.

Actually,he won with the Reds in 1990,
but hey,who's counting??:D:

samram
10-08-2006, 09:36 AM
That was fast. Real stupid move imo. The popular thing to do (from looking at the Yankee boards) is point the figure at Torre. Can't believe Cashman just gets off the hook like that. They'll fall into the same trap next year

I think Cashman is ok. IMO, the big moves that have failed there have been driven in great part by Steinbrenner's ego instead of by baseball acumen.

TornLabrum
10-08-2006, 10:07 AM
I only have one question. Who the hell is "Pinella"?

Chips
10-08-2006, 10:12 AM

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:TDFPtqlzg7EqRM:http://www.mp3sugar.com/ishow.img/artist/artist_5651

Michael Pinella is a classically trained pianist and he also a founder member of SYMPHONY X.

southside rocks
10-08-2006, 10:39 AM

That was my first thought too.

OTOH, I find it remarkable that Torre has had what, 11 seasons with the Yankees? That's some longevity for that position, it seems to me.

Boy, did the Yankees look crappy in the ALDS. :D:

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Mods:

There's a report thread in TB about this as well...just fyi....

SABRSox
10-08-2006, 12:13 PM
This is still a rumor. Until it's confirmed, this thread title is misleading and should be in What's the Score?

Brian26
10-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Just my two cents:

I think its ridiculous that the Yankees would even consider firing Torre.

I didn't watch all of the ALDS games pitch for pitch, but, from what I saw on Friday night and Saturday, Torre didn't get out-managed. He got beat by the better team.

Congratulate and reward Torre for taking that team to the playoffs for the 11th straight season. They were decimated by injuries this year. He almost deserves to come back just based on the five-game sweep of Boston.

If anyone should go, it's Cashman. The starting pitching has been mediocre all season, and he did nothing to fix it. Mussina and Johnson, at their age, aren't going to take you to the World Series.

downstairs
10-08-2006, 12:45 PM
This is still a rumor. Until it's confirmed, this thread title is misleading and should be in What's the Score?

Yeah, I noticed it was in WTS? after posting it.

Title isn't misleading, though. There is a report about this, hence the "Report:" part.

:cool:

(Hey, newspapers get away with it all the time!)

SABRSox
10-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Actually,he won with the Reds in 1990,
but hey,who's counting??:D:

I rounded up. You got a problem with that? :cool:

Myrtle72
10-08-2006, 01:54 PM
I think it's interesting that the Yankees losing to the Tigers is considered a "playoff disaster." If teams like the Orioles, Royals, or Cubs even got into the playoffs, it would be considered sucessful.

Obviously, the Yankees have high expectations when they are shelling out $200 million. But regardless, I think that perspective is interesting.

Brian26
10-08-2006, 02:10 PM

The ESPN article made a mistake on that too (unless they've corrected it since last night). They wrote that he won with the Reds in '88.

Lip Man 1
10-08-2006, 02:17 PM
If Joe is fired considering he's in his mid 60's, I think he retires and perhaps goes back to the broadcasting booth.

Lip

chisoxmike
10-08-2006, 03:49 PM
"I am deeply disappointed at our being eliminated so early in the playoffs. This result is absolutely not acceptable to me nor to our great and loyal Yankee fans. I want to congratulate the Detroit Tigers organization and wish them well. Rest assured, we will go back to work immediately and try to right this sad failure and provide a championship for the Yankees, as is our goal every year."
-- Yankees owner George Steinbrenner

The Yankee$ really need to get over themselves.

Frater Perdurabo
10-08-2006, 04:05 PM
[/half teal] Does anyone think Torre would be a good bench coach for Ozzie? [/half teal]

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2006, 04:56 PM

Nope.Just pointing the fact out.
I didn't mean to offend you.:redface:

batmanZoSo
10-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Just my two cents:

I think its ridiculous that the Yankees would even consider firing Torre.

I didn't watch all of the ALDS games pitch for pitch, but, from what I saw on Friday night and Saturday, Torre didn't get out-managed. He got beat by the better team.

Congratulate and reward Torre for taking that team to the playoffs for the 11th straight season. They were decimated by injuries this year. He almost deserves to come back just based on the five-game sweep of Boston.

If anyone should go, it's Cashman. The starting pitching has been mediocre all season, and he did nothing to fix it. Mussina and Johnson, at their age, aren't going to take you to the World Series.

If Steinbrenner has any sense, he'd fire that weasel Cashman and keep Torre. Torre does what he can with the team he's given, and that's win the division and then go down in October when pitching is king and they don't have it.

But hey, I don't want the right move to get in the way of stupidity in the Bronx.

Frater Perdurabo
10-08-2006, 05:15 PM
I hope Steinbrenner fires Torre is a fit of rage, and then the Yankess miss the playoffs entirely in 2007. I cannot wait to see that team completely implode under the weight of all those contracts.

Chips
10-08-2006, 05:20 PM
"I am deeply disappointed at our being eliminated so early in the playoffs. This result is absolutely not acceptable to me nor to our great and loyal Yankee fans. I want to congratulate the Detroit Tigers organization and wish them well. Rest assured, we will go back to work immediately and try to right this sad failure and provide a championship for the Yankees, as is our goal every year."

The Yankee$ really need to get over themselves.

That is the exact attitude that every owner should have, winning every year.

Myrtle72
10-08-2006, 05:21 PM

Especially if you're spending $200 million to win every year and you're not actually doing it.

samram
10-08-2006, 05:29 PM

Agreed. I think our team has finally learned that lesson.

The Dude
10-08-2006, 06:13 PM
I hope Steinbrenner fires Torre is a fit of rage, and then the Yankess miss the playoffs entirely in 2007. I cannot wait to see that team completely implode under the weight of all those contracts.

I think they'll do better under Pinella if these rumors hold true. I don't think Torre has the desire to manage for that team/city anymore.

Chips
10-08-2006, 06:17 PM
I think they'll do better under Pinella if these rumors hold true. I don't think Torre has the desire to manage for that team/city anymore.

Piniella will only do better if Cashman gets the axe. Get some ****ing pitching.

The Dude
10-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Piniella will only do better if Cashman gets the axe. Get some ****ing pitching.

Yes, the only starter worth keeping is Wang.

A. Cavatica
10-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Story just reported on Fox TV, FWIW...

Lip Man 1
10-08-2006, 08:47 PM
ESPN radio reported that Steinbrenner's comment from this thread, was actually a 'second' draft. Originally the statement did not contain the word 'absolutely'. Steinbrenner apparently got angry the first draft was released because he felt it didn't express his frustration and embarrassment enough.

Lip

nasox
10-08-2006, 11:45 PM

Yankee sympathizer.

DSpivack
10-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Yes, the only starter worth keeping is Wang.

I'd keep Mussina as well, but they still need 3 starters. A $200-million payroll is worthless if you're giving big contracts to such dumps as Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright. Absolutely terrible deals at the time; the blame should go to Cashman (Could there be a better name for a Yankees GM?).

mark2olson
10-09-2006, 09:38 AM
the blame should go to Cashman (Could there be a better name for a Yankees GM?).

A well-stated, and humorous, phrase! In the vernacular, ROTFLMFAO!

TornLabrum
10-09-2006, 12:00 PM
I fixed that thread title for you.

Paulwny
10-09-2006, 12:09 PM
All Torre ever did as the yankee manager was sleep for 8 innings, awaken and point to the bull pen for Rivera.
Torre is as overrated as was Casey Stengel.

Paulwny
10-09-2006, 12:53 PM
.....and the finger pointing begins :D:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spybox094926110oct09,0,4031169.story?coll=ny-homepage-promo

Rob190
10-09-2006, 01:11 PM
I would laugh if the hire Dusty Baker for the position.

southside rocks
10-09-2006, 01:40 PM
.....and the finger pointing begins :D:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spybox094926110oct09,0,4031169.story?coll=ny-homepage-promo

Wow, that was funny!

Sheffield contended that by dropping Alex Rodriguez to the eighth spot in the lineup, it created a distraction for the Yankees and gave the Tigers additional confidence.

And that's ALL IT TOOK, folks, for the "best lineup in baseball", for the $230 million payroll, to completely and totally pancake. Who knew?!?! Silly me, I thought it was because the Tiggers got some spectacular, kick-ass, lights-out pitching from Verlander, Rogers, and Bonderman.

My question: why's it always got to be about A-Rod? :rolleyes: Yawwwnnnn... so tired of that crap ... zzzzzzzzz .....

jdm2662
10-09-2006, 02:03 PM
When the Yankees learn you need good pitching to win and not buy the best players, they will not win the Series anytime soon. The Yankees run in the late 90s was because Cashman and his guys where able to do their jobs and build a team via through farm system, and plug holes when needed. This great, scariest lineup, as so we are told, got shut down by two young pitchers who never pitched in the playoffs before, and a 41-year-old with a career 9 ERA in the postseason. Bonderman, Rogers, and Verlander were really scared, weren't they?

They in the regular season because they got to play Boston, Baltimore, and Tampa Bay 19 times, three times with crappy pitching. Good pitching wins every time.

Fenway
10-09-2006, 03:53 PM
The Seattle press is reporting that Steinbrenner wants Pinella as he was A-Rod's manager with the Mariners and Steinbrenner thinks Pinella can motivate A-Rod.

NYY needs pitching so you can assume Zito will get whatever he wants.

Ol' No. 2
10-09-2006, 04:26 PM
The Seattle press is reporting that Steinbrenner wants Pinella as he was A-Rod's manager with the Mariners and Steinbrenner thinks Pinella can motivate A-Rod.

NYY needs pitching so you can assume Zito will get whatever he wants.The only big paycheck they're shedding this off-season is Sheffield. They need more than just Barry Zito. How much higher can they go? Even George Steinbrenner has a limit. Can they afford to make a committment before the new CBA is signed, not knowing what the luxury tax and revenue sharing figures will be?

KyWhiSoxFan
10-09-2006, 04:26 PM

NYY needs pitching so you can assume Zito will get whatever he wants.

Unless A-Rod can pitch, it won't make much difference what Piniella does with A-Rod. The Yankees have average pitching, and it is going to be worse next year as Mussina is a year older and Randy Johnson's back is a year older. Wright was a bad signing that looks worse each passing day.

Fenway
10-09-2006, 04:31 PM
The only big paycheck they're shedding this off-season is Sheffield. They need more than just Barry Zito. How much higher can they go? Even George Steinbrenner has a limit. Can they afford to make a committment before the new CBA is signed, not knowing what the luxury tax and revenue sharing figures will be?

Steinbrenner wants to win before he dies and he probably wants one last World Series in the old Stadium....

Money is no object now, especially with the Mets still playing.

Ol' No. 2
10-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Steinbrenner wants to win before he dies and he probably wants one last World Series in the old Stadium....

Money is no object now, especially with the Mets still playing.Easy to say, but unless they have a printing press in the basement, there will always be a limit. With revenue sharing and luxury taxes, his roster is costing him somewhere in the neighborhood of $350M. And remember, with luxury taxes, every extra dollar he spends actually costs $1.40. Plus, they need to replace Gary Sheffield, and that will cost. I don't think they can fix the pitching problems by throwing money at it unless they're talking another $30M, and I'm not sure they have the revenues to go that high. They may find it necessary to trim somewhere else.

Which brings us back to the subject of Alex Rodriguez...

Fenway
10-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Easy to say, but unless they have a printing press in the basement, there will always be a limit. With revenue sharing and luxury taxes, his roster is costing him somewhere in the neighborhood of $350M. And remember, with luxury taxes, every extra dollar he spends actually costs $1.40. Plus, they need to replace Gary Sheffield, and that will cost. I don't think they can fix the pitching problems by throwing money at it unless they're talking another $30M, and I'm not sure they have the revenues to go that high. They may find it necessary to trim somewhere else.

One thing I know won't happen ( I hope ) Manny for A-Rod even up

If by some chance the Mets win the whole thing, then the Yankees will spend like a drunken sailor...

Torre won't quit however, no way is he walking from 7 million

Erik The Red
10-09-2006, 05:06 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1331480&postcount=7

TheDarkGundam
10-09-2006, 05:26 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1331480&postcount=7
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/TheDarkGundam/Ohsnap.jpg

Steelrod
10-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Easy to say, but unless they have a printing press in the basement, there will always be a limit. With revenue sharing and luxury taxes, his roster is costing him somewhere in the neighborhood of $350M. And remember, with luxury taxes, every extra dollar he spends actually costs $1.40. Plus, they need to replace Gary Sheffield, and that will cost. I don't think they can fix the pitching problems by throwing money at it unless they're talking another $30M, and I'm not sure they have the revenues to go that high. They may find it necessary to trim somewhere else.

You are assuming that there will be a luxury tax! I believe the basic agreement is up(but I may be wrong) and I can't imagine the union not fighting against it in it's present form.

Ol' No. 2
10-09-2006, 05:50 PM
You are assuming that there will be a luxury tax! I believe the basic agreement is up(but I may be wrong) and I can't imagine the union not fighting against it in it's present form.The CBA does, indeed, expire in December. But having gotten the luxury tax, I can't imagine the owners agreeing to its removal. I haven't noticed a precipitous drop in salaries, so I don't see why the MLBPA would be that militant about getting rid of it...they'd have to give something back in return.

Daver
10-09-2006, 06:20 PM
The CBA does, indeed, expire in December. But having gotten the luxury tax, I can't imagine the owners agreeing to its removal. I haven't noticed a precipitous drop in salaries, so I don't see why the MLBPA would be that militant about getting rid of it...they'd have to give something back in return.

The MLBPA would say they already have, by allowing the drug policy to be changed in the current CBA. That being said, I doubt the Luxury Tax is going to something MLBPA is going to concentrate on, they will be fighting against contraction once again.

Paulwny
10-09-2006, 06:43 PM
The only big paycheck they're shedding this off-season is Sheffield. They need more than just Barry Zito. How much higher can they go? Even George Steinbrenner has a limit. Can they afford to make a committment before the new CBA is signed, not knowing what the luxury tax and revenue sharing figures will be?

Yanks to save money on Mussina, option year, they'll buy off his contract and sign him to less $$$. Rumor has him wanting to stay and willing to work for a smaller pay check.
Rumors also have them going after a Japanese pitcher, whose name I've forgotten, and Zito.

Paulwny
10-09-2006, 06:48 PM

We've heard this before , but once again they were the only team with the $$$ to take on Abreu's contract along with Lidle,. Sheffield has already been replaced, by Abreu.

Lip Man 1
10-09-2006, 07:00 PM
A few points:

For what it's worth Proud To Be Your Bud announced last season that any talk of 'contraction' is now officially off the table.

Regarding the luxury tax, I would imagine it will still be in the next CBA However I've read about where teams are granted a reduction of some sort in the amount of tax they have to pay in the event they are constructing a new stadium which is exactly what the Yankees are now doing.

Lip

Daver
10-09-2006, 07:13 PM
A few points:

For what it's worth Proud To Be Your Bud announced last season that any talk of 'contraction' is now officially off the table.

Regarding the luxury tax, I would imagine it will still be in the next CBA However I've read about where teams are granted a reduction of some sort in the amount of tax they have to pay in the event they are constructing a new stadium which is exactly what the Yankees are now doing.

Lip

There is language in the current CBA on contraction, and that it is not something that has to be collectively bargained, no matter what Selig says, the MLBPA is going to want that language removed so that the league cannot contract at a later date without collectively bargaining for it.

Paulwny
10-09-2006, 07:21 PM
From Forbes:

One baseball executive estimates that the new stadium will boost the Yankees' revenue by $45 million a year from such things as tickets and luxury suites. The Yankees will earn more from nonbaseball events like concerts and save the $5 million a year in rent that they pay at their current stadium. All told, the new stadium should increase the team's bottom line (after league assessments but before state and federal taxes) by roughly $25 million a year, according to insiders familiar with the team's finances.

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2006/0508/060.html

Fenway
10-10-2006, 12:09 PM
NY Post writes Torre is staying and will meet the press at 1 PM Eastern

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10102006/sports/yankees/hes_joe_ing_nowhere_yankees_george_king.htm

After two days of soul searching, George Steinbrenner isn't going to fire Joe Torre, The Post has learned. According to several sources, The Boss has decided firing Torre isn't the cure for the subterranean problems that plague his $200 million collection of dysfunctional underachievers who have been flushed out of the playoffs in the first round two consecutive seasons.
By the time Torre meets with the press at 1 p.m. today at Yankee Stadium he will have been assured he will be coming back for his 12th season as Yankees manager.

palehozenychicty
10-10-2006, 12:13 PM
NY Post writes Torre is staying and will meet the press at 1 PM Eastern

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10102006/sports/yankees/hes_joe_ing_nowhere_yankees_george_king.htm

After two days of soul searching, George Steinbrenner isn't going to fire Joe Torre, The Post has learned. According to several sources, The Boss has decided firing Torre isn't the cure for the subterranean problems that plague his $200 million collection of dysfunctional underachievers who have been flushed out of the playoffs in the first round two consecutive seasons.
By the time Torre meets with the press at 1 p.m. today at Yankee Stadium he will have been assured he will be coming back for his 12th season as Yankees manager.

To be honest, I wanted Steinbrenner to fire Torre, because with Piniella, this team would have lost the division next year. They are all getting older rather than better and they will stupidly bring back Mussina for a two-year deal. Melky and Hughes, who are ready to play at the major league level, rot unceremioniously on the bench and in the minors. It makes little difference, as the Yankees will re-enter the dark days of Mel Hall and Andy Stankiewicz very soon.

Myrtle72
10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
The media is really making Steinbrenner look like a complete idiot.

And well, from my perspective, all I see is that he spent lots and lots of money on pretty much nothing and then got all pissy and fired up after it was over, so he was looking for a scapegoat.

I'm sure there are things going on behind the scenes that I am not away of, but my point is, from the outside, it makes Steinbrenner look pretty mean and irrational.