PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* FOBB A's vs. DETROIT "NO LONGER KITTIES" MEGA THREAD

SouthSide_HitMen
10-07-2006, 07:01 PM
England vs. France
Bears vs. Packers
Alabama vs. Auburn
North Side vs. South Side

FOBB / FOFT vs. Detroit "Kitties no more"!!!

Can the hatred surpass the rivalries noted above?

Read below to find out.

RadioheadRocks
10-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Ummmmm, GO METS! :D:

RKMeibalane
10-07-2006, 07:13 PM
:hurt vs. :maggs

The Dude
10-07-2006, 07:23 PM
:hurt vs. :maggs

:hurt >:maggs

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/mlb/teams/1/80x60/det.gif >http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/mlb/teams/1/80x60/oak.gif

samram
10-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Go Tigers. If the A's had to win a series, I'm glad it was over the Twins. I hope they never win another one.

mccoydp
10-07-2006, 09:26 PM
I want Frank Thomas to go ape-**** and have some killer games against the Tigers. I would love to see him get another WS ring.

However, he plays for the A's, so **** them.

The Tigers showed a lot of guts and determination, and quite handily disposed of the Yankmees.

I hope they beat Beane's boys, but I hope Frank gets his licks in. :D:

LongLiveFisk
10-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Frank > Magglio

I like Frank a hell of a lot better than Magglio.

Therefore,

GO A'S!!!

DeuceUnit
10-07-2006, 10:47 PM
I hate both these damn teams...what does that mean????? Go Mets!!!!!!

buehrle4cy05
10-07-2006, 10:48 PM
If Billy Beane wasn't such a pretentious *******, picking a team to root for would be so much easier.

cleanwsox
10-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Go A's

At least Frank Thomas wanted to return to the Sox, **** Mags and his Tiger buddies, Go A's!

:bandance:

CLR01
10-07-2006, 11:28 PM
If Billy Beane wasn't such a pretentious *******, picking a team to root for would be so much easier.

His fans may be worse than him. I do have to say though that it would be quite the site to see a bunch of propeller heads rioting across the nation if the A's won the series. Of course you would see the expected internet slowdown from the statheads popping digital champagne and BP updating their site every 5 seconds kissing their god's ass. I could also see a group of guys standing around a car calculating it's flip and roll potential, the fire quality rating in the neighborhood and the probability that a Beane championship would increase their chances of getting laid.

No I am not going to use teal just take the damn joke.

jortafan
10-07-2006, 11:55 PM
This one, for me, is easy. Go Athletics.

I always root for the wild card team to get knocked out of the playoffs at the first possible opportunity. I would have rather seen the Yankees advance. But I would be just as satisfied if the A's were to take down the Tigers. The fact that Frank Thomas would get a chance to actually play in a World Series if the Athletics were to win the AL pennant makes it easy for me to support this.

Now I don't want to hear from anyone complaining that I'm unfairly criticizing the concept of the wild card. I personally think it is disgraceful that wild card teams won the World Series each year from 2002-2004. For those of you who can't appreciate the incredibly deep logic of my position, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point.

buehrle4cy05
10-08-2006, 12:18 AM
His fans may be worse than him. I do have to say though that it would be quite the site to see a bunch of propeller heads rioting across the nation if the A's won the series. Of course you would see the expected internet slowdown from the statheads popping digital champagne and BP updating their site every 5 seconds kissing their god's ass. I could also see a group of guys standing around a car calculating it's flip and roll potential, the fire quality rating in the neighborhood and the probability that a Beane championship would increase their chances of getting laid.

No I am not going to use teal just take the damn joke.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling::worship:

1951Campbell
10-08-2006, 12:28 AM
Frank > Magglio

I like Frank a hell of a lot better than Magglio.

Therefore,

GO A'S!!!

That's my party line.

LuvSox
10-08-2006, 12:36 AM
I can't pull for Detroit. I've tried, it won't take.

gobears1987
10-08-2006, 12:36 AM
I hate the A's, but I've wanted to see Frank play in a World Series. I'm pulling for them because of that. GO FRANK!!!!! I want to see him hit a walkoff during the ALCS and then hopefully the World Series. He deserves it.

1951Campbell
10-08-2006, 12:37 AM
I hate the A's, but I've wanted to see Frank play in a World Series. I'm pulling for them because of that. GO FRANK!!!!! I want to see him hit a walkoff during the ALCS and then hopefully the World Series. He deserves it.

Yep.

oeo
10-08-2006, 01:04 AM
I have a question...why the hell is Robertson starting another series? Their free-swinging bull**** isn't going to work well against Zito; they might want to have their best starter out there; maybe.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-08-2006, 01:07 AM
http://video.download.com/i/dl/vdl/media/image/81/16/1681_320x240.jpg

Closed captioning provided by Levis

Moneyball, Moneyball, Moneyball, Billy Beane.
Moneyball, Moneyball, Moneyball, Greek God of Walks, Greek God of GMs, Billy Beane.

Moneyball, Kenny Williams pwned, White Sox Losers, Frank Thomas, Estaban Loaiza, Billy Beane, Moneyball.

Moneyball, Moneyball, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, Playoff victories are random, Moneyball, 2006, Playoff Series Win, Moneyball, Moneyball, Billy Beane.

After the break, an interview with Billy Beane of the Oakland Athletics.

FarWestChicago
10-08-2006, 07:40 AM
No I am not going to use teal just take the damn joke.What joke? :dunno:

FarWestChicago
10-08-2006, 07:43 AM
http://video.download.com/i/dl/vdl/media/image/81/16/1681_320x240.jpg

Closed captioning provided by Levis

Moneyball, Moneyball, Moneyball, Billy Beane.
Moneyball, Moneyball, Moneyball, Greek God of Walks, Greek God of GMs, Billy Beane.

Moneyball, Kenny Williams pwned, White Sox Losers, Frank Thomas, Estaban Loaiza, Billy Beane, Moneyball.

Moneyball, Moneyball, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, Playoff victories are random, Moneyball, 2006, Playoff Series Win, Moneyball, Moneyball, Billy Beane.

After the break, an interview with Billy Beane of the Oakland Athletics.And this is exactly what all the new FOBB's in this thread and elsewhere are pulling for. :puking:

They will not get a chance to party here if Evil triumphs. :tsk:

Craig Grebeck
10-08-2006, 07:50 AM
FWC-Why the hate? They're doing good things with a small payroll. It's admirable. I'm not flaming, just curious.

cbotnyse
10-08-2006, 08:24 AM
FWC-Why the hate? They're doing good things with a small payroll. It's admirable. I'm not flaming, just curious.just walk away....actually run, run as fast as you can.

samram
10-08-2006, 08:45 AM
FWC-Why the hate? They're doing good things with a small payroll. It's admirable. I'm not flaming, just curious.

Well, part of it is that a lot of those "good things" (I guess meaning getting bouned in the LDS) were done with the helping hand of roids.

chaerulez
10-08-2006, 09:12 AM
This one, for me, is easy. Go Athletics.

I always root for the wild card team to get knocked out of the playoffs at the first possible opportunity. I would have rather seen the Yankees advance. But I would be just as satisfied if the A's were to take down the Tigers. The fact that Frank Thomas would get a chance to actually play in a World Series if the Athletics were to win the AL pennant makes it easy for me to support this.

Now I don't want to hear from anyone complaining that I'm unfairly criticizing the concept of the wild card. I personally think it is disgraceful that wild card teams won the World Series each year from 2002-2004. For those of you who can't appreciate the incredibly deep logic of my position, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point.

I never understood the hate for the wild card? If not for the wild card, in late August/early September we would've thought we were done for. (Assuming we didn't know the Tigers were going to collapse that badly) Plus, sometimes the wild card has more wins than an division winner, no it's not like they don't deserve it. I think tradition is the only reason people hate the baseball wild card, as no other sports get critized for their playoff system as much. But with more teams in the league than there were before the wild card, I think having more playoff teams is neccessary.

I read Moneyball. I thought it was a good book. But you can't change the fact that Beane is very arrogant and it off puts a lot of people. Has Beane made a lot of good moves? Yes. Has he made a lot of bad moves? Yes. Overall, is he a good GM? Yes, his team does make the postseason regularly. But also he people that kiss his ass are annoying too. Especially the writers. Like BP's Joe Sheenan or Fox Sports Dayn Perry. Both are SABRmetric stat heads who love to spout out stats that were made up a couple years ago, that have no real proof if they actually mean anything and use it to try and say how much the White Sox suck or how great the A's and Yankees are. So I guess to answer your question, the arrogance of Beane and his ass kissers are what ticks off a lot of people.

gobears1987
10-08-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm not a FOBB. I hate FOBB's like Jeremyb1. I hate the A's, but I love Frank Thomas more. That is why I'm pulling for them.

SOXintheBURGH
10-08-2006, 02:44 PM
For the next few weeks:

:worship: :fobbgod:

batmanZoSo
10-08-2006, 03:09 PM
If you were called "Billy Beane" and you looked like Ron Howard's brother, you'd put on arrogant front too.

:fobbgod:http://jimmywallis.com/clinthoward.jpg

:D:

Meh. Go Frank, and I like Zito a lot, too. I'd like to keep the lone AL Central WS trophy in Chicago.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-08-2006, 09:41 PM
I'd like to keep the lone AL Central WS trophy in Chicago.

You are forgetting something.

http://www.scratchbomb.com/images/mets/apple.jpg

:gulp:

chisoxmike
10-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Meh. Go Frank...I'd like to keep the lone AL Central WS trophy in Chicago.

My feelings as well.

Frater Perdurabo
10-08-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm not afraid to say that I too hope Frank Thomas will have an opportunity to get some World Series ABs.

nasox
10-08-2006, 10:09 PM
FOBB suck, but FOFT are cool. I haven't decided who I will root for. I think Frank, but the Tigers really deserve it. All I really hope for is a tightly contested series that goes to seven games.

Frater Perdurabo
10-08-2006, 10:28 PM
FOBB suck, but FOFT are cool.

What would be really nice is if, with hundreds of TV cameras trained on his house, Billy Beane stumbles out of his front door, his briefcase tumbles to the ground and splits open, and out falls various "adult novelties," bongs, a crack pipe, a brick of weed, a lighter, a sheet of LSD, a sticky copy of Baseball Prospectus, a Hustler lifetime subscription renewal card, stolen credit cards and a wad of cash. Seeking to stem the scandal, the A's promptly fire Beane.

Then Frank Thomas bats .865 with 9 homers and 21 RBI to lead the A's to a seven-game WS victory over the Cardinals.

:)

FarWestChicago
10-08-2006, 10:31 PM
What would be really nice is if, with hundreds of TV cameras trained on his house, Billy Beane stumbles out of his front door, his briefcase tumbles to the ground and splits open, and out falls various "adult novelties," bongs, a crack pipe, a brick of weed, a lighter, a sheet of LSD, a sticky copy of Baseball Prospectus, a Hustler lifetime subscription renewal card, stolen credit cards and a wad of cash. Seeking to stem the scandal, the the scum laden A's promptly fire Beane.It wouldn't matter. Most of their fans are total jag bags, too. Most of the FOBB's here have never attended a game in Oakland Alameda County Network Associates Symantec Coliseum.

BNLSox
10-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Am I the only one that felt that last year vindicated the White Sox and Kenny Williams of all the "idiocy" they were said to have had in Moneyball? Yes, Beane having success with our castaways might add to this storyline, but we had success with his. Where would we have been without Cotts last year?

I think the hatred for Beane is similar to the insecurities some of us used to (still do feel) about the popularity of the northsiders. Guys, we won the WORLD SERIES. And our owner and GM are giving this a regular shot and we could very well win more soon. Who cares about BB? He hasn't won one. Our collective favorite player is on his team - so why not cheer for him. Even if they do succeed they have only just caught up with us.

Go Oakland. Get over Billy folks . . . he's as relevant as the cubbies to us.

rookie
10-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why don't the Tigers have home field advantage? All I can think of is it's because they are the wild card. So they lose home field even though their record is better than Oakland's? Just curious.

CLR01
10-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why don't the Tigers have home field advantage? All I can think of is it's because they are the wild card. So they lose home field even though their record is better than Oakland's? Just curious.

That's right. Division winners get homefield over wildcard teams until the WS.

The Dude
10-09-2006, 12:09 AM
I hate the the scum laden A's, but I've wanted to see Frank play in a World Series. I'm pulling for them because of that. GO FRANK!!!!! I want to see him hit a walkoff during the ALCS and then hopefully the World Series. He deserves it.

I'm not a FOBB. I hate FOBB's like Jeremyb1. I hate the the scum laden A's, but I love Frank Thomas more. That is why I'm pulling for them.

I think we get the picture about your post White Sox - Frank Thomas obsession.

You're sig still makes no sense however. Frank IS NOT a White Sox player currently and I don't see how that has anything to do with people being on a Sox bandwagon.:?::rolleyes::?:

Oh did I mention - GO TIGERS! **** the mother ****ing Oakland FOBB bastards! See, I can be repetitive as well!

Realist
10-09-2006, 12:15 AM
It's a shame one of these teams has to win. I'm just gonna root for the National League team that has to play the winner. I kinda hope it's the Mets because I think they are the only team in the NL that has a chance to win the World Series.

gobears1987
10-09-2006, 12:19 AM
I think we get the picture about your post White Sox - Frank Thomas obsession.

You're sig still makes no sense however. Frank IS NOT a White Sox player currently and I don't see how that has anything to do with people being on a Sox bandwagon.:?::rolleyes::?:

Oh did I mention - GO TIGERS! **** the mother ****ing Oakland FOBB bastards! See, I can be repetitive as well!Frank Thomas is the White Sox in the same what that Minnie Minoso is the White Sox. Past heroes on a team are a part of that team for eternity.

The best way to separate a true fan from a bandwagoner is how he respects the team's history. To respect this team's history, you have to respect the Big Hurt. He is the greatest player in Sox history. He is the White Sox. Frank Thomas is what comes to mind when I think of the Sox. Think about it, Michael Jordan is still the person who comes to mind when anyone thinks of the Bulls.

The Dude
10-09-2006, 12:50 AM
Frank Thomas is the White Sox in the same what that Minnie Minoso is the White Sox. Past heroes on a team are a part of that team for eternity.

The best way to separate a true fan from a bandwagoner is how he respects the team's history. To respect this team's history, you have to respect the Big Hurt. He is the greatest player in Sox history. He is the White Sox. Frank Thomas is what comes to mind when I think of the Sox. Think about it, Michael Jordan is still the person who comes to mind when anyone thinks of the Bulls.

Frank is the best hitter the Sox have ever seen and I loved watching his whole Sox career here. I respect Hurt but I will not root for A's however just because he's on the team and I dont think that has a damn thing to do with being on a bandwagon/etc.

Also do you think the majority of Bulls fans cheered MJ when he was a Wizard? No, most didnt care to see him succeed with his new team but still loved him on the Bulls.

FarWestChicago
10-09-2006, 07:07 AM
The best way to separate a true fan from a bandwagoner is how he respects the team's history. To respect this team's history, you have to respect the Big Hurt. He is the greatest player in Sox history. He is the White Sox. Frank Thomas is what comes to mind when I think of the Sox. Think about it, Michael Jordan is still the person who comes to mind when anyone thinks of the Bulls.Anybody who pulls against the White Sox and pretends to be a fan is a crossdresser. And I bet you wouldn't even bother to deny you were happy when your real team (A's) swept your supposed team a couple weeks ago. I don't have a FOBB crossdresser tag yet, so I'll have to bust out and old favorite to describe you:

:crossdresser

davenicholson
10-09-2006, 07:14 AM
England vs. France
Bears vs. Packers
Alabama vs. Auburn
North Side vs. South Side

FOBB / FOFT vs. Detroit "Kitties no more"!!!

Can the hatred surpass the rivalries noted above?

Not quite. But I guess I will have to repeat my rooting interests for the rest of the MLB post season: Go Bears.

Chips
10-09-2006, 07:19 AM
**** the A's

ajismyhero
10-09-2006, 09:54 AM
I think Hockey started last week. Go Black Hawks!

jdm2662
10-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Frank is the best hitter the Sox have ever seen and I loved watching his whole Sox career here. I respect Hurt but I will not root for the scum laden A's however just because he's on the team and I dont think that has a damn thing to do with being on a bandwagon/etc.

Also do you think the majority of Bulls fans cheered MJ when he was a Wizard? No, most didnt care to see him succeed with his new team but still loved him on the Bulls.

Nope, I wanted him to fail miserablely, but that's a whole other issue. In fact, it was amazing that I had disdain for many people that was responsible for the six titles in the 90s. I rooted against Pippen until he came back to the Bulls. I no longer have any disdain for him. I certainly will never root for the ZenBlowhard, especially since he's with the team I hate the most.

I'm not rooting against Thomas. I wish him well, except when he plays the Sox. If he gets another ring and 500 HRs, etc, more power to him.

As for the series at hand, if I had to chose, I will go with the Tigers. I don't hate BB and Oakland as much as some people do, but I certainly do not care for them. I doubt I will be watching any games, though. The White Sox are the only team that matters to me.

CaptainBallz
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
So I take it the A's are laden with scum??:?:
Is this like soap scum or a thin layer of dirt and grime?
Or is "scum" referring to general personality flaws?

If you haven't noticed, I missed the joke....

Anyway...go A's. We've seen this show before Detroit, it was called the 2005 White Sox. Get a new schtick.

EDIT: Ahhhh, I see said the blind man...

SouthSide_HitMen
10-11-2006, 10:49 PM
ODO
Two to go!!!

It will be very hard for Oakland to escape from Detroit still alive. They may fold like a tent by Saturday.

Fenway
10-12-2006, 02:11 AM
Red Sox beat writer says "bye-bye" Oakland

OAKLAND, Calif. - The Bay Area truly is a beautiful place to visit but the next time the As return here, the Detroit Tigers wont be accompanying them.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/otherMLB/view.bg?articleid=161939

As a Red Sox fan I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Beane had taken the Red Sox job ( he was GM for a day before deciding he couldn't leave California and his daughter )

Watching the Tigers I can't help but thinking I have seen this before...I give you the 1997 Marlins

Frankfan4life
10-12-2006, 06:19 AM
I'm rooting for Detrot to beat Oakland and then for the Mets or Cards against Detroit. I want Detroit to beat Oakland simply because I don't want Frank to get a ring with Oakland. I just think it would further distance Frank from the Sox. Frank is already embracing the fans in Oakland and vice versa, which is okay because he's only been there one season and he has performed well for them.

My motives are totally selfish. I don't want the Big Hurt to have more success on any other team than he had with the Sox (personal success is okay but not team success). Even though Frank contributed to the Sox 2005 world series win, I feel bad that he didn't get to play in the 2005 postseason but I don't want his best baseball experience to be winning a World Series with another team.

batmanZoSo
10-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Red Sox beat writer says "bye-bye" Oakland

OAKLAND, Calif. - The Bay Area truly is a beautiful place to visit but the next time the As return here, the Detroit Tigers wont be accompanying them.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/otherMLB/view.bg?articleid=161939

As a Red Sox fan I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Beane had taken the Red Sox job ( he was GM for a day before deciding he couldn't leave California and his daughter )

Watching the Tigers I can't help but thinking I have seen this before...I give you the 1997 Marlins

What do the 1997 Marlins have to do with this Tigers team? Absolutely nothing. Great comparison. :rolleyes:

samram
10-12-2006, 09:23 AM
What do the 1997 Marlins have to do with this Tigers team? Absolutely nothing. Great comparison. :rolleyes:

I guess Leyland? :dunno:

Maybe the Tigers signed a bunch of free agents before the season without telling us.

Baby Fisk
10-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Oakland is ****ed. The Tigers could very well sweep this series now.

On some other message boards, the FOBB sycophants are spewing data like some out of control IBM. They are also whining about media bias against their club and their beloved false god. Enjoy your stats, suckers. Here's one for you to consider:

Ken Williams World Championships = 1
Billy Beane World Championships = 0

Oblong
10-12-2006, 01:02 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Dombrowski too?

FedEx227
10-12-2006, 01:59 PM

Outside of a few coaches and managers absolutely nothing.

It's not like the Tigers went out and bought a World Series.

But hopefully its true because the Tigers will be imploded next year and not win anything else until 2012. Woo!

Verlander/Zumaya for Broadway MAKE IT HAPPEN!

rookie
10-12-2006, 08:16 PM
I can't tell if all of these A's/Tigers threads are the same or not, so I'll post it in this one. The only thing good about the Tigers winning is that the media keeps comparing them to the 2005 White Sox. It's like we are the big brothers and Detriot are the little bros who are trying to follow in our footsteps. But at least others get to be reminded about how great the Sox were.

I don't care either way, but I agreed with whomever said they would like the trophy to belong to no other AL Central team but us. I also have a selfish streak. Detriot's a spunky little team and if they win it all, at least it's better than the Twins. But as far as I'm concerned they can stay far away from our amazingness - no complete games in a row, and drag the series out a little more even if they do win it all.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-14-2006, 10:39 AM
ODO
Two to go!!!

It will be very hard for Oakland to escape from Detroit still alive. They may fold like a tent by Saturday.

Well things are going to plan. Oakland is on life support and they happen to be in Dr. Jack Kevorkian's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kevorkian)home state. Coincidence, I think not.

I want to congratulate former White Sox players and personnel Magglio Ordonez, who is not a loser despite Ozzie's sour grapes and the fact he sports that idiotic hairstyle since moving to da toilet. Also, hats off to Jim Leyland who is one of baseball's best managers and Dave Dombrowski who was purged during Hawk Harrelson's 1986 Debacle.

The fact remains Oakland has been a far more serious rival of the White Sox dating from their AL West days through today. Detroit hasn't been a factor regarding Chicago White Sox postseason appearances since 1908 when they beat out the team by 1 1/2 games for the AL Pennant. The White Sox were also rans in the handful of other successful years in Tiger history.

Since the Tigers moved into the AL Central, they continued being a non factor as far as White Sox baseball is concerned.

1998 - Detroit finished 15 games behind the White Sox
1999 - 6 games behind the White Sox (who finished 21 1/2 games out)
2000 - White Sox won the AL Central (Detroit 16 games behind)
2001 - 17 games behind the White Sox
2002 - 25 1/2 games back
2003 - 43 games back
2004 - 11 games back
2005 - World Champions (Detroit 28 games back)

Until this season, Detroit is as much as a "rival" as the Yankees would consider the Tampa Bay Devil Rays a "rival". 2006 was the first year in White Sox baseball history that Detroit spoiled a White Sox season and I blame the White Sox for their own collapse.

Minnesota has been a rival and is evil. Cleveland was evil throughout the 1990s. Oakland has been a pain in the ass since 1969 when division play was instituted. Detroit may become a division rival if they continue to field good ballclubs (which remains to be seen) but until a few more years pass Oakland is more hated at least in my book.

Craig Grebeck
10-14-2006, 12:36 PM
I really hate Jim Leyland. So overrated.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-14-2006, 06:56 PM
ODO
Two to go!!!

ODO -
MAGGLIO!!!!

Goodbye Oakland, we hardly knew ya!!!

cleanwsox
10-14-2006, 07:03 PM

Wow, don't know about that. Winning a World Series and bringing another one there. If anything, he's underrated.

Chisox003
10-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Classy.

Congrats to the Tigers, they deserved it. They really are unbeatable right now.

23Ventura
10-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Classy.

There is no doubt in mind that they will win the World Series, it's just a matter of how many games it will take them, 4 or 5.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Classy.

Exactly. The Tigers earned it this year. If the World Series Champ comes out of the AL Central two years in a row, it just validates how tough the division was this year. The Tigers are playing good ball right now after stumbling to the finish of the regular season.