PDA

View Full Version : Twins 2oo7 World Series favorites?

caulfield12
10-07-2006, 12:13 PM
http://www.startribune.com/507/story/727273.html

Maybe you should put this up on the bulletin board in ST Ozzie?

MarySwiss
10-07-2006, 12:20 PM
I guess this guy hasn't been keeping up with current events. HELLO, your team just got swept out of the playoffs (again) and looked pathetic in the process.

Jerko
10-07-2006, 12:21 PM
The fact that their nucleus will be back is why I think the Twins will be back in 2nd or 3rd next year. Their true colors came out in the playoffs IMO and none of those guys are going to match 06's numbers.

SOXintheBURGH
10-07-2006, 12:31 PM
The fact that their nucleus will be back is why I think the Twins will be back in 2nd or 3rd next year. Their true colors came out in the playoffs IMO and none of those guys are going to match 06's numbers.

Morneau and Mauer are gonna be studs next year too.. I don't see Cuddyer doing it next year though. They're not going anywhere. We play in the best division in baseball now. Comedy Central no more.

caulfield12
10-07-2006, 12:33 PM

It will be interesting to see if they sign a guy like Soriano, Lee, Alou, Edmonds, Sheffield...even Frank Thomas, as their DH.

Or whether they turn the position over to Kubel/Tyner (whoever's not playing LF)...assuming they keep Torii Hunter for one more season.

The problem for the Twins is they lose $2 million letting Hunter go, so signing someone for $8 million to replace Hunter really costs them $10 million, which is why they're more likely to re-sign him IMO.

I don't know if they will be favored...maybe the Yanks if they sign Zito and keep Mussina, maybe the A's if they can keep Thomas or sign Alou and Bonds, Tigers (if they get to the World Series), White Sox, the Angels if they add some hitting, the Red Sox or Blue Jays.

The AL is going to pretty really tough again next year. You can make a legit case for 7-8 teams.

TDog
10-07-2006, 12:40 PM
The 2006 Twins in the end looked like the 2005 Indians -- a mad dash to catch a distant division leader only to lose at the end. The Twins lost 2 of 3 to the Sox before losing 3 straight to the A's. The Twins won the division because the Tigers lost their last five games, including 3 at home to the Royals.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Twins are the favorites approaching 2007. The Indians were preseason darlings of 2006. When the Cubs lost the NLCS in 2003 after losing their last 3 games, with their best pitchers going, they were favorites for 2004. The Twins aren't the Cubs. They drafted Mauer instead of Prior. But they traded for Liriano, who finished the season doing a Kerry Wood impression. Whether Santana and LIriano are a 2007 force remains to be seen.

The worst time to pick favorites for the next baseball season is October.

caulfield12
10-07-2006, 12:54 PM
The 2006 Twins in the end looked like the 2005 Indians -- a mad dash to catch a distant division leader only to lose at the end. The Twins lost 2 of 3 to the Sox before losing 3 straight to the A's. The Twins won the division because the Tigers lost their last five games, including 3 at home to the Royals.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Twins are the favorites approaching 2007. The Indians were preseason darlings of 2006. When the Cubs lost the NLCS in 2003 after losing their last 3 games, with their best pitchers going, they were favorites for 2004. The Twins aren't the Cubs. They drafted Mauer instead of Prior. But they traded for Liriano, who finished the season doing a Kerry Wood impression. Whether Santana and LIriano are a 2007 force remains to be seen.

The worst time to pick favorites for the next baseball season is October.

How do you explain the Cardinals and the Tigers then?

RKMeibalane
10-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Nope. That's not going to happen. The Twins have a nice nucleus, but unless they make changes to their pitching staff, they're not going anywhere in '07. Santana and Liriano provide a nice foundation, but Radke is retiring, and Bonzer hasn't impressed me at all. Minnesota will be back in the playoffs, but that's as far as they'll go.

RKMeibalane
10-07-2006, 01:03 PM
It will be interesting to see if they sign a guy like Soriano, Lee, Alou, Edmonds, Sheffield...even Frank Thomas, as their DH.

Sheffield is a possibility, but Thomas is likely to remain in Oakland. The A's have offered him a two-year extension, and all signs point to him accepting it.

caulfield12
10-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Sheffield is a possibility, but Thomas is likely to remain in Oakland. The A's have offered him a two-year extension, and all signs point to him accepting it.

I think he's waiting to accept it and see if he can drive up his value even further by a long playoff run ala Beltran two years ago...

Twins Win
10-07-2006, 02:34 PM
The article is written by Sid Hartman, enough said. I'm a homer but this guy makes me look like a bandwagon jumper. Plus he's in his 90's, he's a little delusional at times.

ondafarm
10-07-2006, 02:39 PM
The Twins will not be in the World Series. That is as true of 2007 as of 2006. They were only 10-9 against the Sox this year in a really off year for the Sox.

AnkleSox
10-07-2006, 02:42 PM
List of twins who, in 2007, will not match their 2006 numbers

Jason Bartlett
Jason Tyner
Nick Punto
Michael Cuddyer
Pat Neshek
Dennys Reyes
Justin Morneau
Joe Mauer

Morneau and Mauer will still be studs, but no way do they both have the seasons they had this year. The bullpen obviously will be one of the best in the majors, but behind Santana and Liriano, there's no starting pitching.

batmanZoSo
10-07-2006, 02:46 PM
List of twins who, in 2007, will not match their 2006 numbers

Jason Bartlett
Jason Tyner
Nick Punto
Michael Cuddyer
Pat Neshek
Dennys Reyes
Justin Morneau
Joe Mauer

Morneau and Mauer will still be studs, but no way do they both have the seasons they had this year. The bullpen obviously will be one of the best in the majors, but behind Santana and Liriano, there's no starting pitching.

They won 96 games with the same recipe this year. The kids they bring up get it done, Mauer and Morneau are studs. They prove us wrong almost every year, who's to expect they won't do it again? We'll simply have to one-up them like because they will be there, book it.

I want Mags back
10-07-2006, 05:19 PM
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

just more motivation for our guys

RadioheadRocks
10-07-2006, 05:53 PM
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I concur!

HotelWhiteSox
10-07-2006, 09:04 PM

Unless something changed since, I read a Frank quote the other day saying they offered 2 years, but weren't close with the $$

WizardsofOzzie
10-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Yeah, they were the favorites at the begining of 2005 along with the Cubs to advance to the world series........boy were they close on that one

FielderJones
10-07-2006, 11:11 PM

Again I ask, how do you know Liriano is going to just pick up where he left off? Are you an orthopedic surgeon that has seen all his diagnostics?

Great pitchers are like thoroghbreds, both powerful and delicate. The Twins thought Liriano was ready and look what happened. If the the Twins GM is counting on Liriano with no backup plan, he's as stupid as Hendry.

twinkiesfan08
10-08-2006, 03:00 PM
If everyone is healthy, I see the Twins being the favorite and for good reason. Liriano and Santana are incredible, if Liriano returns to form, watch out. Also, I assume you guys haven't been watching a ton of Twins baseball (like me with the Sox) so let me fill you in here. Bonser is going to be a solid starter next year, he showed great improvement down the stretch. Also, Garza should do well next year as our fifth starter, he's got loads of potential and had a nice string of starts to end the year. All we need then is either Silva to step it up (doubtful..) or to grab a decent pitcher in Free Agency (Ted Lilly?). Then we got a nice starting rotation. Bullpen doesn't need any work, except maybe another lefthanded reliever.

Our lineup will be fine. Morneau is not going to drop off. All that kid needed was confidence and he sure as hell got it. Mauer is the most talented player on the team in my opinion, he'll just keep getting better. Look for 20 HRs out of him next year, too. I can't argue with the Cuddyer point, he's reached his maximum potential, but still, if you're batting between Mauer and Morneau, you're gonna get yours.

Everyone's saying our guys are gonna get worse, but we are so young I don't see how? Sure, Reyes and Punto might drop off, hell they probably will a bit, but the kid I'm pumped to see next year is Bartlett. He'll hit over .300, mark that one down in your diary. Along with Bartlett is Garza. This kid should get a ton better with the experience he's gained. All the talent in the world. Now all we gotta do is go out and grab a nice starting pitcher to fill the number 4 spot, and a DH (boy, we go through this every year don't we).

I'll admit it, I'm a homer, but I don't see the Twins getting any worse. They'll contend next year. If you want a team that's gonna drop off, look at the Tigers. Pudge isn't getting any younger, and a ton of those guys had career years. The race next year will be between the Twins and the Sox.

WOW that was long, if you read all of it, I applaud you. Feel free to rip on me if you'd like.

TDog
10-08-2006, 03:45 PM
How do you explain the Cardinals and the Tigers then?

Any team that gets to the postseason can win in a short postseason series. The Tigers had no business beating the Yankees, but the Yankees didn't bother to go to the trouble of winning. Since being up 3-0 in the 2004 ALCS, the Yankees lost four straight to Boston, three of five to the Angels and three straight to the Tigers. That's a 2-10 record in 12 games for a team that who didn't just win the division in those three seasons, but whose lowest regular-season win total was 95 games.

Some say the wild card has an advantage in the postseason because the team has to fight to get there. The Tigers (thanks to the ineptness of the White Sox) are the only team I can recall coasting to a wild-card berth. And they beat the Yankees. For that matter, the Yankees only won 87 regular-season games the last year trey won the World Series, back in the 20th century or second millennium AD.

On the face of it, building a team to win a title, or even to come close enough to win the wild card, is different than what it takes to win a postseason series. The postseason is a series of short series. But short series seem to be exactly what the Twins were built for, starting "automatic" Santana, and they lost.

So many things have to go right for a team to win a World Series, not the least of which is getting there. LaMarr Hoyt doesn't question that the Sox would have won the World Series if they had scored for Britt Burns on that last Saturday afternoon in 1983. Many Red Sox fans probably feel the same way about the ground ball to Tony Graffinino, but they don't obsess over it because they reserve such things for Bill Buckner -- even the fans who weren't born in October 1986.

The team that wins the World Series is the team that survives all the crap. October is the worst time to pick winners for the next season because there's going to be a lot of crap next season that no one expects.

caulfield12
10-08-2006, 03:58 PM
If everyone is healthy, I see the Twins being the favorite and for good reason. Liriano and Santana are incredible, if Liriano returns to form, watch out. Also, I assume you guys haven't been watching a ton of Twins baseball (like me with the Sox) so let me fill you in here. Bonser is going to be a solid starter next year, he showed great improvement down the stretch. Also, Garza should do well next year as our fifth starter, he's got loads of potential and had a nice string of starts to end the year. All we need then is either Silva to step it up (doubtful..) or to grab a decent pitcher in Free Agency (Ted Lilly?). Then we got a nice starting rotation. Bullpen doesn't need any work, except maybe another lefthanded reliever.

Our lineup will be fine. Morneau is not going to drop off. All that kid needed was confidence and he sure as hell got it. Mauer is the most talented player on the team in my opinion, he'll just keep getting better. Look for 20 HRs out of him next year, too. I can't argue with the Cuddyer point, he's reached his maximum potential, but still, if you're batting between Mauer and Morneau, you're gonna get yours.

Everyone's saying our guys are gonna get worse, but we are so young I don't see how? Sure, Reyes and Punto might drop off, hell they probably will a bit, but the kid I'm pumped to see next year is Bartlett. He'll hit over .300, mark that one down in your diary. Along with Bartlett is Garza. This kid should get a ton better with the experience he's gained. All the talent in the world. Now all we gotta do is go out and grab a nice starting pitcher to fill the number 4 spot, and a DH (boy, we go through this every year don't we).

I'll admit it, I'm a homer, but I don't see the Twins getting any worse. They'll contend next year. If you want a team that's gonna drop off, look at the Tigers. Pudge isn't getting any younger, and a ton of those guys had career years. The race next year will be between the Twins and the Sox.

WOW that was long, if you read all of it, I applaud you. Feel free to rip on me if you'd like.

Unless they resign Hunter long-term, bringing him back for just next year could possibly create some distractions. He's definitely lost a step or two.

The Twins are going to miss Radke's leadership, even if they replace him with a pitcher like Lilly.

Garza, Bonser and Baker are still works in progress. Garza doesn't have enough confidence in his offspeed stuff and throws a very straight fastball. Bonser is a little more polished but doesn't have "dominant" stuff.

There's no way Tyner, Bartlett and Punto all play that like offensively. And Castillo is getting older and more injury-prone.

As long as the Twins bullpen continues to be strong, they should be competitive, but are Neshek and Reyes the "real deal" or are you going to end up with two problems like the White Sox did with Cotts and Politte after dominant 2005 seasons. Perkins looks like he could pick up some slack as well.

But it all comes down to Liriano. That's the difference between 90 wins and 100.

Dan the Man
10-08-2006, 04:08 PM
PUH-LEEZ! You just got destroyed in the playoffs, so you start talking about winning the World Series already? No way. Even with Mauer, Morneau, and Johan, this isn't the National League here. Plus, Liriano is a BIG question mark after he was probably overworked in his rookie season.

chisoxmike
10-08-2006, 05:01 PM

I really like all the Twins and Tigers fans that registered at this site from May-September 2006.

:thumbsup:

twinkiesfan08
10-08-2006, 05:49 PM
PUH-LEEZ! You just got destroyed in the playoffs, so you start talking about winning the World Series already? No way. Even with Mauer, Morneau, and Johan, this isn't the National League here. Plus, Liriano is a BIG question mark after he was probably overworked in his rookie season.

Next year is a new year. And don't tell me that having one of the most dominant pitchers in the game back healthy wouldn't have changed our post season. If Liriano is healthy next year the Twins are the favorite, that's the reality, and for good reason. We simply don't have many holes. Name any other team in the AL and they probably have more problems than the Twins do.

JB98
10-08-2006, 11:30 PM
As long as the Twins are in that dome and Santana is healthy, they are going to contend. That place is a house of horrors for most teams. Oakland deserves a ton of credit for going in there and taking two playoff games. The Sox went 5-5 up there this season, and I wish we could duplicate that every year.

But 2007 World Series favorites? Um, no. As long as the New York teams are spending big, they'll be picked in the preseason. If Oakland or Detroit wins the World Series, they'll get the respect from the prognosticators. And I'm pretty sure some people are still going to look at the Sox as the team to beat, especially if KW makes a couple of key acquisitions to breathe new life into our pitching staff.

I guarantee Jason Bartlett isn't going to hit .300 next season.

JB98
10-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Next year is a new year. And don't tell me that having one of the most dominant pitchers in the game back healthy wouldn't have changed our post season. If Liriano is healthy next year the Twins are the favorite, that's the reality, and for good reason. We simply don't have many holes. Name any other team in the AL and they probably have more problems than the Twins do.

Having Liriano would not have changed your postseason. You scored seven ****ing runs in three games. Count 'em, SEVEN ****ING RUNS!!! THAT'S ALL!!!! That isn't going to get it done, my friend. And don't get me started about the poor defense the Twins played in that series. Liriano COULD NOT have saved your ass.

Don't kid yourself: That punch-and-judy offense falls flat in the postseason. Castillo, Punto, Tyner and Bartlett were all non-factors. You might make a return trip to the playoffs in 2007, but you aren't going to sniff the World Series with that crummy offensive attack. Ozzie Guillen may like the way you play, but I don't.